Is it male?

Tsilo

Hi sorry if i post in wrong topick its my first post and first grow .
plant is about 4 weeks old and as i'v read sex is showing after you switch to 12/12. I'm still in veg and should it show sings of sex?
IMG_20160423_152840945.jpg

IMG_20160423_152852085.jpg

also I'v read about that if you create ideal conditions for your plants in 3-4 weeks in veg it tends to be female but is it true? I think it strongly depends on genetics not conditions maybe it's true you shouldn't stress plant too much but I'v used LST training, any advice?

It happens with my plants to when I veg for too long around five weeks six weeks they still start to show their sex but I buy fem seeds becomes it sucks to do all that work and it's a male

so should i switch to 12/12 its 4 week in veg? i face small comtainers aiming for short plans because of space also I just transplanted 2 plant how long should i wait before flowering and 1 has transplat shock so how long should i w8 before switching to 12/12

Not to contradict anyone but I always see people saying "chop" or "kill" the male....

Why?

If it were me and I wanted to continue growing I would take the necessary steps to isolate and collect the pollen for selective breeding, provided it's a strain I'd like to continue of course.
Here is a thread done by Emilya about dealing with males:
Working with Pollen

It just makes sense to me to sacrifice one top or a couple mid bud sites to make seeds and continue growing without the cost of seeds or clones.

I started 2 from seed and I'm actually HOPING for them to be males.

Not to contradict anyone but I always see people saying "chop" or "kill" the male....

Why?

If it were me and I wanted to continue growing I would take the necessary steps to isolate and collect the pollen for selective breeding, provided it's a strain I'd like to continue of course.
Here is a thread done by Emilya about dealing with males:
Working with Pollen

It just makes sense to me to sacrifice one top or a couple mid bud sites to make seeds and continue growing without the cost of seeds or clones.

I started 2 from seed and I'm actually HOPING for them to be males.

Most people grow for the herb, not the pollen. Or they may not have the space to isolate. I Kept mine for the pollen but most won't.

I agree with those who nurse the male for pollen. I have one trimmed and isolated under a clear vinyl dome you use outdoors to protect plants from frost. I'm going to collect pollen and pollinate a female branch or two.

And males can be used for edibles, pollen and leaves. Waste not, want not.

I agree with those who nurse the male for pollen. I have one trimmed and isolated under a clear vinyl dome you use outdoors to protect plants from frost. I'm going to collect pollen and pollinate a female branch or two.

And males can be used for edibles, pollen and leaves. Waste not, want not.

I'm in favor of (isolating and) utilizing males for breeding, assuming one has the space. I feel that the general policy of NOT doing so across the planet hasn't been a friend to cannabis' genetic diversity.

OtOH, as males - of any strain - have significantly less THC than their female counterparts, I tend to observe the practice of "waste not, want not" by not wasting time/labor/electricity/water/nutrients/space/et cetera by growing males when I am not doing so for the purpose of collecting pollen, lol. Also, since a stray male flower or two can end up pollinating an entire field - or grow room - of (formerly ;) ) sinsemilla, and most folks dislike seedy buds, I don't recommend continuing to grow males solely for <BLEEPs> and giggles. But for those who are able to deal with that, have the room, etc., then, yes, I think it can be helpful to allow a male to survive long enough to become a "father."

Tsilo: Yes, cannabis generally expresses its sex during the flowering period when the light schedule includes ~12 hours of uninterrupted dankness, err, I mean darkness ;) . But, as you have observed, it can express sex by producing flowers (either male, female, or under stressful conditions or when you're growing 100% Thai sativa genetics <TorturedSoul shakes his fist, lol>... both) at ANY time after the plant reaches sexual maturity - which is, basically, when the plant stops producing branches that are directly across from each other and, instead, starts producing them in a "staggered" formation. This is somewhat strain-dependent, and - again, generally - the number of flowers being produced is small, much less than one would expect under a flowering lighting schedule. Most folks call such flowers "preflowers" because they occur before the grower cuts the lights back. But, AFAIK, that is not technically correct, because the plant IS sexually mature by the time that they are being produced. If the grower keeps plants under a vegetative lighting schedule long enough, they will generally be able to find a few preflowers regardless of the strain. And, of course, plants that are "autoflowering" will start producing flowers under most lighting schedules (this - I think - can also vary by strain, in that some auto-flowering strains will seem to continue along in vegetative for a longer period of time if the hours of darkness are few enough. But that doesn't seem to be a trait that the breeders of such strains shoot for. And my experience with auto-flowering strains is pretty much nil at this point, so I could be incorrect. Perhaps it is proper to state, "Most auto-flowering strains will begin flowering under most lighting schedules?"

If/when those male flowers start opening, the pollen will probably end up fertilizing any female flowers that other plants in the area have - and you will have seeds forming. That would (IMHO) not be advisable at this point, lol.

I other words, be VERY CAREFUL to isolate the male if you want to control his tendency to debauch all the females in your grow. You only need one, and then just a few branches, or even one, to get enough pollen to get seeds. A little goes a long way indoors.

In one of my most recent grows I grew two plants. One produced pistols within 48 hours of switching to 12/12, but the other didn't. After two weeks the other one started producing what looked like small sacs. Once it was obvious they were seeds or nanners, my wife started picking them off as soon as they would pop up. After a couple days of that pistols began to show and the seeds stopped.

Now, don't get me wrong, the plant always stayed behind the other plant in yield for the rest of the grow and ended up only producing about 25-50% the weight of the other plant, but my point is that if caught early, a stress-induced hermied plant that appears to be a male could potentially be nursed back to health and produce good (albeit small) buds.

I cannot tell you how many times we thought to ourselves "wow I sure am glad we didn't cut her down that first week we seen seeds!" From now on I will always make sure to give males a chance to switch before I chop them down.

what do you think does stress push plant to male side? I'v done some training and fiming and I grow it in small containers because of space, as mentioned it showed sex because of stress and I'm afraid if stress effects it heavily it's possible that many of them becomes male? 1 is female at least I know that :D

also I have 4- 26w CFL cold ligts and 2 40w worm ligts :D yes forst grow mistakes but is may also stress plant? amd I'm decreasing ligts 1 hour per day :D and nutriens are 20-20-20 for veging any advice how can i improve environment?

what do you think does stress push plant to male side? I'v done some training and fiming and I grow it in small containers because of space, as mentioned it showed sex because of stress and I'm afraid if stress effects it heavily it's possible that many of them becomes male? 1 is female at least I know that :D

I don't think it's technically possible for the plant to become a male, but what happens is when an otherwise perfectly normal female becomes stressed to the point of thinking she may not make it to the end of the season, she will "hermie" (turn into a hermaphrodite) which means to have both sex organs, and will try to pollinate herself in order to produce seeds and survive to the next season.

Prevent this by avoiding any stressful situations like light leaks, over and under watering, physical damage, fluctuating light cycles, etc. If it's already happening, try picking off what is clearly going to be seed pods until it either stops growing them and returns to normal or you determine it is a male (no way to make a male be a female no matter how many seeds or nanners you pick)

Hi I'm back :D

this boy has 1 pistil hair, what happened to it? at first i thought it was boy but then it showed pistil hair than hope came back but after that it didn't made any hair is it hermaphrodite?

Looks like one. Where did the seed come from (strain/breeder if known, or bagseed)?

Back
Top Bottom