Is there a way to increase potency?

It is a really interesting topic you raise here BB. I have wondered the same question on whether there were some noticeably superior breeder strains that produced highs that were above and beyond or is it all fairly similar.

Concentrates sound worth looking into but not sure how to do that without either high strength alcohol or a rosin press, as an infusion isn't really a concentrate. Must be amazing getting something in the 80% - 90% range. :hookah:

That is an interesting experience, thanks for sharing! :thumb:

That's encouraging to know!

Hmmm.. Got me intrigued now :reading420magazine:

Thanks, it's great to have some names to search for. I am currently vaping White Widow and a WW cross. But I have no idea how genuine or much original WW it is my strain, or if it is good or average in a decent weed sort of way. To be fair, if you can pull half a pound off a plant then even $100 a seed is cheap in comparison to what half a pound of quality buds would cost to buy, in NZ that would be over $3000, and one never normally buys just one seed so you would be concerned that they were going to be pretty good. I'd love to get a bunch of seeds for a few dollars each but I'd prefer to pay more and get some really great seeds instead (just so long as they are markedly better) I am guessing from your experience that the difference in the quality of the high is well worth it. :nomo:
Around my neck of the woods an oz goes for $100 - $120. 1/2 lb is about $500 - $600 & a Lb. is about $850 - $1000. What a price difference. an oz at the dispensary runs $100 - $240.

Not sure if waiting till 75% Amber would help all that much but I'll probably try it on the 2 DWC plants I'm growing now.
Are you aiming for a couch lock high? I’m curious, have you ever harvested when the trichomes are 100% milky? As that is when your plant has reached its peak potency.. I usually only let my plants get about 10% amber with 90% milky.

Are you aiming for a couch lock high? I’m curious, have you ever harvested when the trichomes are 100% milky? As that is when your plant has reached its peak potency.. I usually only let my plants get about 10% amber with 90% milky.
Couch Lock is what I want. If you can barely keep your eyes open after smoking a whole joint by yourself I consider that .... Good Weed. Anything less is just a buzz.
I've never harvested before 50% Amber because they say the more Amber, the more couch lock effect.
Maybe I'm chasing the dragon so to speak. I'm looking for that stone I got in the 70's off Acapulco Gold, Red Bud, etc. that 4 people got wasted on 1 joint & you get the munchies so bad you go through a loaf of cinnamon toast or a whole box of cereal & then take a nap. If it does these 2 things to me, I consider it Great Weed. If not, It's just so - so.
Wish I could get my hands on some of the seeds from back then to grow. Seems like weed was better back then & all these cross strains have eliminated the effects I liked the most. I don't smoke to go out & party like a rock star. I smoke to make aches & pains more tolerable & help me get to sleep. Without it I wake up every 2 hours & have to take a percocet to sleep. I prefer to leave those alone as much as possible as I don't want to get addicted.

Wish I could get my hands on some of the seeds from back then to grow. Seems like weed was better back then & all these cross strains have eliminated the effects I liked the most. I don't smoke to go out & party like a rock star. I smoke to make aches & pains more tolerable & help me get to sleep. Without it I wake up every 2 hours & have to take a percocet to sleep. I prefer to leave those alone as much as possible as I don't want to get addicted.
That's how I remember it too, Columbian Gold in the 80's that was some sort of pressed stuff but totally obliterated you, and I had Thai and Nepalese stuff that was dynamite. I really dont understand the view that weed is a lot stronger these days, some of the stuff I had, to my mind, was right up there. I think perhaps the view that THC was less was because so many dumbos were growing weed with no idea of when to harvest so the potency of crap grown weed was of course bugger all and probably bought the percentages way down.

Couch Lock is what I want. If you can barely keep your eyes open after smoking a whole joint by yourself I consider that .... Good Weed. Anything less is just a buzz.
I've never harvested before 50% Amber because they say the more Amber, the more couch lock effect.
Maybe I'm chasing the dragon so to speak. I'm looking for that stone I got in the 70's off Acapulco Gold, Red Bud, etc. that 4 people got wasted on 1 joint & you get the munchies so bad you go through a loaf of cinnamon toast or a whole box of cereal & then take a nap. If it does these 2 things to me, I consider it Great Weed. If not, It's just so - so.
Amber trichomes doesn’t always mean “stronger” weed... The genetics you choose to grow are going to have more to do with the effects that you want then anything else. A very strong Indica harvested at 100% milk will definitely have couch-lock type of high, it’s about the genetics.. the more you amber up the more degradation of thc there is and gives the plant more cbd, ultimately making it less potent .. I’m just going to throw this out there since you said you’ve NEVER harvested a plant before until it had atleast 50% amber, maybe you should try to harvest one at 100% milky, might just surprise yourself at how potent it is. Again it all goes back to genetics... you cannot grow a landrace sativa like Acapulco Gold and expect it to give you a couch lock effect just because you waited until the trichomes were amber. Know what I mean? You should look into something like northern lights, black domina, or any other 100% Indica to achieve the type of high your looking for and then harvest at peak potency based on trichome maturity.

Weed today may have more THC but does not give you the effects of yesteryear. Maybe I should grow Reggie ... lol. My nephew brought some by the other day & it got me pretty buzzed compared to dispensary weed. I might grow 1 to see how it comes out for the hell of it. But the thing I wonder about is the seeds in the buds. Not sure if that was caused by males pollinating them or if female reggie plants also produce seeds. I'm thinking from pollination & growers just didn't cull the males back then; but not positive of that. The seeds of today must have originated from the seeds from back then & crossbred to make the seeds of today. With that in mind I think the seeds in the weed were because males weren't culled.
I know I get a totally different high off reggie. I like the high. Just hate the seeds & stems & the taste isn't as good. I guess it wouldn't be reggie if I made it seedless though as weed without seed is called Sensi.

That's how I remember it too, Columbian Gold in the 80's that was some sort of pressed stuff but totally obliterated you, and I had Thai and Nepalese stuff that was dynamite. I really dont understand the view that weed is a lot stronger these days, some of the stuff I had, to my mind, was right up there. I think perhaps the view that THC was less was because so many dumbos were growing weed with no idea of when to harvest so the potency of crap grown weed was of course bugger all and probably bought the percentages way down.
I have a far fetched theory as to why everyone thinks weed was better back then even though it was that brick/shwag. I’m probably 100% wrong about this, but it’s just a stoner theory thought up to give you a laugh... so here it is, all that mexi brick weed that had to be smuggled was obviously grown and treated like shit it’s entire life... evident just by looking at it. But I think back then they may have been fermenting the buds to increase the potency so basically just cobbed weed. I mean when I think about how Pablo was smuggling weed into the states through tires in cars, there’s no way those buds inside those tires did not sweat or go through some kind of fermentation during the transportation into the states. Again those are high thoughts :blunt:haha... I for one do not agree with most people, weed today is far superior to the brick weed I had as a kid, and most of the old heads I know agree that weed is better on all levels today. These are just opinions, and you know what they say about those...

Amber trichomes doesn’t always mean “stronger” weed... The genetics you choose to grow are going to have more to do with the effects that you want then anything else. A very strong Indica harvested at 100% milk will definitely have couch-lock type of high, it’s about the genetics.. the more you amber up the more degradation of thc there is and gives the plant more cbd, ultimately making it less potent .. I’m just going to throw this out there since you said you’ve NEVER harvested a plant before until it had atleast 50% amber, maybe you should try to harvest one at 100% milky, might just surprise yourself at how potent it is. Again it all goes back to genetics... you cannot grow a landrace sativa like Acapulco Gold and expect it to give you a couch lock effect just because you waited until the trichomes were amber. Know what I mean? You should look into something like northern lights, black domina, or any other 100% Indica to achieve the type of high your looking for and then harvest at peak potency based on trichome maturity.
I've got 2 Critical 2.0 going now so I'll do 1 cloudy & 1- 50% Amber to see the difference. Thanks for the suggestion as I've only went by what I read. Got nothing to lose & everything to gain. Looking forward to the end results.

I've got 2 Critical 2.0 going now so I'll do 1 cloudy & 1- 50% Amber to see the difference. Thanks for the suggestion as I've only went by what I read. Got nothing to lose & everything to gain. Looking forward to the end results.
Good idea, I’m curious to see how it turns out for you.. Critical 2.0 is a perfect strain to test that theory as well it being heavy Indica :thumb:

I have a far fetched theory as to why everyone thinks weed was better back then even though it was that brick/shwag. I’m probably 100% wrong about this, but it’s just a stoner theory thought up to give you a laugh... so here it is, all that mexi brick weed that had to be smuggled was obviously grown and treated like shit it’s entire life... evident just by looking at it. But I think back then they may have been fermenting the buds to increase the potency so basically just cobbed weed. I mean when I think about how Pablo was smuggling weed into the states through tires in cars, there’s no way those buds inside those tires did not sweat or go through some kind of fermentation during the transportation into the states. Again those are high thoughts :blunt:haha... I for one do not agree with most people, weed today is far superior to the brick weed I had as a kid, and most of the old heads I know agree that weed is better on all levels today. These are just opinions, and you know what they say about those...
You might be on to something in the fermentation thing. Never know.
I don't remember buying much brick weed though. Yes, there was some but it was like $15 a Lid.
The nice fluffy buds were $25 - $30 a Lid. Wish they sold it in lids these days instead of by weight.
That's speaking as a buyer & not a seller of course.

Depends, its listed on quite a few cultivars on various websites, sometimes it's in the comment section.
I think Leafly has lots of Terpene profiles.

This is supposed to be the average terpene profile for the plant I am currently growing, Jack Herer.

Linalool (0 - 0.05%)

Myrcene (0.1 - 0.3%)

Pinene (0 - 1.0%)

Limonene (0 - 0.9%)

Caryophyllene (0.01 - 0.4%)
Well Chit. I'm on Leafly a lot looking for what I want to buy at the dispensary & never even thought about them having info.

You might be on to something in the fermentation thing. Never know.
I don't remember buying much brick weed though. Yes, there was some but it was like $15 a Lid.
The nice fluffy buds were $25 - $30 a Lid. Wish they sold it in lids these days instead of by weight.
That's speaking as a buyer & not a seller of course.
Ya it’s completely theoretical but an interesting idea nonetheless. Have you read into cobbing buds at all? I’m thinking about giving it a try with part of my next harvest to see what all the hype is about.

Ya it’s completely theoretical but an interesting idea nonetheless. Have you read into cobbing buds at all? I’m thinking about giving it a try with part of my next harvest to see what all the hype is about.
Honestly, I never even heard of it. I will look it up though to get some insight. I'm not much on hype anymore. Seems one person says it's good & 20 people echo what that person says without 1st hand knowledge. I tried the Bud Washing & wasn't impressed at all. Didn't notice any difference in washed & unwashed other then the washed buds were not as compact & dried out crispier. Glad I can use Lemon Juice & Baking Soda for other things since I have plenty ... lol.

Honestly, I never even heard of it. I will look it up though to get some insight. I'm not much on hype anymore. Seems one person says it's good & 20 people echo what that person says without 1st hand knowledge. I tried the Bud Washing & wasn't impressed at all. Didn't notice any difference in washed & unwashed other then the washed buds were not as compact & dried out crispier. Glad I can use Lemon Juice & Baking Soda for other things since I have plenty ... lol.
For sure, I’m with you there’s a lot of goofy shit going around... I read into bud washing a little bit but I would never do that. Haha I guess I used the wrong word to describe cobbing, it is not a new thing being “hyped” like bud washing. Cobbing has been going on for a LONG time and is actually a common practice in Africa.. I’m growing some Durban Poison next so I figured what better time to give it a try then with an African land race. Happy growing Bud

For sure, I’m with you there’s a lot of goofy shit going around... I read into bud washing a little bit but I would never do that. Haha I guess I used the wrong word to describe cobbing, it is not a new thing being “hyped” like bud washing. Cobbing has been going on for a LONG time and is actually a common practice in Africa.. I’m growing some Durban Poison next so I figured what better time to give it a try then with an African land race. Happy growing Bud

I really want to try it from what I have heard but I need to really do my research on the process. It seemed a bit demanding or precise last time I looked or something deterred me but it sounds super interesting.

Here's where I started my research before. Jumping back in.

I really want to try it from what I have heard but I need to really do my research on the process. It seemed a bit demanding or precise last time I looked or something deterred me but it sounds super interesting.

Here's where I started my research before. Jumping back in.

The first time I read sweetsue’s thread about it, it seemed a little overwhelming and I said fuck it lol... my curiosity peaked again though and upon a second look there’s really not much to it. You just need the supplies(vacuum seal bag, corn cob, crock pot, seedling heat mat, and a cool dark place to store it for a month) it’s actually not that labor intensive at all so I’m planning on giving it a go. Maybe when I do it, I’ll document my first attempt at it in my grow journal.

I tried cobbing a couple of varieties and well into the process learned that its primary intent is so that people can eat the pot. That's right, just eat it. It works, and if that is your cup of tea, then go for it... but it isn't mine. I like smoking my pot. For me there is nothing like well cured pot rolled into an ultra thin paper fattie. That is what floats my boat, and it always has. COBBing is certainly something to try, but it was the last to get smoked up around here and only a few of us enjoy eating it. As far as ease of cure though, bag it, seal it and forget it for a month... couldn't be easier.

Actually, I want to get back to a version of this idea in a back yard buried cure, using the soil bacteria to help effect the cure. This is the secret behind the fabled Panama Red and I think if we look around we could find many other natural methods of curing and drying this pot, putting the process more in contact with the earth and the local surroundings, producing a regional taste. I will have years to experiment in these areas in my now legal grow operation here in Missouri, and I do hope over the years to learn some very interesting new methods of doing these things that we do.

Back
Top Bottom