Is there a way to increase potency?

High All, I've been growing a few years now & I have never asked or heard anyone else make mention of how to increase potency. So I'm wondering if there are any additives that help do this or if it's all strain dependent ? I just haven't been totally satisfied with the potency of the weed I grow. I've grown Barney's Farm, Original Sensible Seeds, Sweet Seeds, Dutch Passion & several others; but pretty much the same results. I usually only buy Indica or Hybrid (Indica Dominant) seeds with over 20% THC. Any suggestions on how to get more potent weed ?

Ok, let me tackle this one. You are limited by genetics, but you have that covered, apparently. Next is grow conditions, including lights, nutrients, and temp and humidity. It takes time to learn how to grow dank weed. I found the most important variable to be light. Buy the best lights you can afford.

try some other types of pot. There are some very strong varieties out there, especially land race strains. Try some high power seeds that are not hybrids, and usually quite a bit more expensive. Also, I like surprising people with a pure sativa now and then... a lot of people have never experienced the cerebral high that results. Maybe that is what floats your boat, instead of a body high. I suspect you are growing good weed, but that you just need to expand your variety a bit more and find what your body responds to. Its not just about THC content and everyone reacts to mother ganja a little bit differently... you just have to find what it is that you like. Smoked any Mozambique Poison? How about Kona Gold? Have you grown out any cheeses? They float my boat. Some of my favorite strong ones were Green Crack, Tangerine Dream, White Widow.... there are some good hybrids too.

Time to start smashing nugs and making concentrates, I’d say.

I really only mess with concentrates nowadays, not much for smoking flower. When I go to the dispensary (ya I know but I’m still going through my first run in 10 years so no home grown yet to smash) I won’t look at concentrates under the 70% combined THC range, I mostly try to stick around the 80% range. I did end up buying a Tree of Life vape cartridge in CO last fall on my way through, like 92 or 95%, friggen ridiculous. I would wake up 4 hours later after a few too many hits.

I know you were probably talking about increasing THC during growing but making concentrates might be the quicker/easier way of doing it if you are looking to get up in the high THC range. I’m not sure how high of a THC level you are looking for but you’ll definitely notice going from 20% to 80% THC vs 20% to 25% or so.

The terpenes have a role to play. I've noticed the difference between two LPs versions of the same strain, having different levels of THC, the one with the lower level but with stronger terpenes/scent hit harder. I've just started looking into the ways in which different nutrients affect the terpene levels. Sulfur being involved in the biosynthesis process as a catalyst, etc. Interesting stuff, but dry as hell, and I'm certain I'm not really getting up to date information, even avoiding the stoner science.

Thats an unnecessarily long way of saying "entourage effect".

Mostly what I'm reading says that magnesium and sulfur are important nutrients for terpene production, so I'm planning to add a little bit of Epsom salt, aka magnesium sulfate, to my bloom nutes this run. Being careful not to overdo it of course, too much can cause potassium issues, and can interfere with the uptake of boron and molybdenum.

High All, I've been growing a few years now & I have never asked or heard anyone else make mention of how to increase potency. So I'm wondering if there are any additives that help do this or if it's all strain dependent ? I just haven't been totally satisfied with the potency of the weed I grow. I've grown Barney's Farm, Original Sensible Seeds, Sweet Seeds, Dutch Passion & several others; but pretty much the same results. I usually only buy Indica or Hybrid (Indica Dominant) seeds with over 20% THC. Any suggestions on how to get more potent weed ?
I've been reading, and trying this starvation thing :hmmmm: I know, sounds weird but it may be on to something.....

I took a 2 Blackberry Gums (Blueberry x Bubble Gum) and grew them healthy, and 2 (same strain) and watch them turn yellow and scream for water/food..."Only" when they were wilting did I water them...and I only fed twice in flower...all the leaves turned yellow, :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: it was the tastiest, most fruity smelling, and "way" stronger than the other 2....

I'm practicing with it, cuz you can really stress the plant this way, but it's turning out to be a good thing...I think it might have something to do with sucking all the leaves of their stored nutrients, cuz the smell, taste, and high are off the charts :popcorn:

EDIT: I grew them all healthy in veg with ample nutrients :thumb: Only in flower did I starve them, but, I did give them a good shot of flower nutes when they first went in.
Only after that did they starve for the next 7 weeks :rofl::popcorn:

Some years ago a grow of mine in a combination of a too small pot and hot weather would daily wilt but on watering would recover until the next day when it would be again wilted by the day's end. When harvested it was the most sticky bud I have ever grown and a superb high. It was bag seed and it's buds were much superior that the bag bud it was found in. So for me I feel drought stress can increase potency. You might want to check out @Maritimer 's journal Exceptionally High FECO Yields as he has also found similar encouraging results with his experiments of drought stress. Good luck.

Ok, let me tackle this one. You are limited by genetics, but you have that covered, apparently. Next is grow conditions, including lights, nutrients, and temp and humidity. It takes time to learn how to grow dank weed. I found the most important variable to be light. Buy the best lights you can afford.
So far my lights have been 2 - 900's, 2 - Mars Hydro TSW 2000's & 2 - Meizhi 600 watt LED's. This grow is with the Next light Mega. So I've had pretty good lighting.
Nutrients I started with were GH (a line up of about 10 products). Then went to Advanced Nutrients & had a line up of about 8 products. Now I've been using Mega Crop v. 3 by itself. The 1st 2 brands are good. Mega Crop gave me my biggest yield but weakest smoke.
Temps, well my very 1st grow I tried a 600 watt HID in a 2' x 4' tent the 1st 6 weeks & temps hit mid 90's so switched to LED's. That was the best weed I ever grew. Fire OG & you could get high 3 times on 1 joint. Since then temps were always 77 - 81 F which isn't all that bad.
RH I usually keep between 55% - 70% during Veg & 35% - 50% during Flower.
This all seems to be very reasonable growing conditions. Not perfect but pretty darn good.
I use a Mic. at Harvest & I wait till 50% Amber or more.
So I'm puzzled why this weed isn't potent. Not sure if it's because I usually stick to the more traditional strains like N.L., OG Kush, Afghan Kush, Gorilla Glue, etc.
I want to buy F1 seeds but nobody seems to say if the seeds are F1, F2, etc.
I'm considering trying Gorilla Seeds .... but not sure the high price means better quality or not. The seeds I'm looking at are $30 - $51 for 1 seed. Every seed I've bought to date ran $8 - $12 ea.
So I'm Leary I'll just be paying more for the same thing. At $51 a seed a joint should put me to sleep twice. I just want to find the most potent Indica Strain available & try growing that.
Anyone know which strain that is ?
Sorry to ramble .... but figured I'd throw out more details.

try some other types of pot. There are some very strong varieties out there, especially land race strains. Try some high power seeds that are not hybrids, and usually quite a bit more expensive. Also, I like surprising people with a pure sativa now and then... a lot of people have never experienced the cerebral high that results. Maybe that is what floats your boat, instead of a body high. I suspect you are growing good weed, but that you just need to expand your variety a bit more and find what your body responds to. Its not just about THC content and everyone reacts to mother ganja a little bit differently... you just have to find what it is that you like. Smoked any Mozambique Poison? How about Kona Gold? Have you grown out any cheeses? They float my boat. Some of my favorite strong ones were Green Crack, Tangerine Dream, White Widow.... there are some good hybrids too.
Only 1 I've grown out of the ones mentioned was White Widow. Never heard of the 1st one.
I really like the woody, earthy tasting stuff. Tastes a lot like hash to me.

I would wake up 4 hours later after a few too many hits.
My kind of weed !!! That's what I like. Head Highs don't do the trick for me. Unfortunately, I'm not big on most concentrates. I feel like a Crack Head or Meth Monster doing dabs & such.
However, I did try a 200 ml. brownie the other day that gave me a nice buzz. Had to eat the whole thing though. I am a flower guy who would much rather smoke a big fat joint.

The terpenes have a role to play. I've noticed the difference between two LPs versions of the same strain, having different levels of THC, the one with the lower level but with stronger terpenes/scent hit harder. I've just started looking into the ways in which different nutrients affect the terpene levels. Sulfur being involved in the biosynthesis process as a catalyst, etc. Interesting stuff, but dry as hell, and I'm certain I'm not really getting up to date information, even avoiding the stoner science.

Thats an unnecessarily long way of saying "entourage effect".

Mostly what I'm reading says that magnesium and sulfur are important nutrients for terpene production, so I'm planning to add a little bit of Epsom salt, aka magnesium sulfate, to my bloom nutes this run. Being careful not to overdo it of course, too much can cause potassium issues, and can interfere with the uptake of boron and molybdenum.
This is the kind of thing I think I'm wondering about. Now to figure out how it can be done using Mega Crop. I have a 10 liter bottle of Terpinator sitting here but not so sure it can be used with MC or not. If so, I'm not sure how I would figure out the NPK ratio for it. I'm not that advanced yet.
I'm sure @InTheShed knows if this can be used though & how to mix it if it is possible.
I haven't even figured out the Epsom Salt, Baking Soda, Lemon Juice stuff to change different things.
I know what they do. Just not how much to add to change things when needed.

I've been preaching about terpenes for awhile now. Get a high terp strain with the terp profile you want in relation to the high your seeking. I have a 20% strain that blows my 30% strain outta the water. Try not looking at thc percentage.
So how do you tell which seeds are high & low terp strains ? I see THC content advertised but that's all. I'll happily spend $50 on 1 seed if I know I'm buying Bomb ass shit !!! Of course I'll clone it after that.

I took a 2 Blackberry Gums (Blueberry x Bubble Gum) and grew them healthy, and 2 (same strain) and watch them turn yellow and scream for water/food..."Only" when they were wilting did I water them...and I only fed twice in flower...all the leaves turned yellow, :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: it was the tastiest, most fruity smelling, and "way" stronger than the other 2....
This sounds like the way my very 1st grow went. Leaves yellowed from Top to Bottom. Flush & Water Only Last 7 days. Then 3 days No water or anything before the chop. No dark time or anything. That weed kicked my ass.
Since then, fed all the way through with no flush. Only a few bottom leaves yellow. Nowhere near as potent.
I think I'm going to buy some GH nutes again & grow a couple plants in FFOF & do things the way I did the 1st grow to see how things turn out. If it comes out potent again I'll damned sure think it has something to do with not flushing & starving the plant at the end. Nothing to lose so I may as well try it. I'll pop a couple seeds in Solo Cups this weekend. Blueberry Kush & OG Pie Breath will be the seeds I grow. I'll just let them veg with the Auto's till they finish & then switch to 12/12.
One other thing I didn't do my 1st grow was defoliation or LST so not sure if this played a part in anything or not.

Some years ago a grow of mine in a combination of a too small pot and hot weather would daily wilt but on watering would recover until the next day when it would be again wilted by the day's end. When harvested it was the most sticky bud I have ever grown and a superb high. It was bag seed and it's buds were much superior that the bag bud it was found in. So for me I feel drought stress can increase potency. You might want to check out @Maritimer 's journal Exceptionally High FECO Yields as he has also found similar encouraging results with his experiments of drought stress. Good luck.
Thanks for the link. Got to check it out.

the first time I sat down determined to smoke a joint of my white widow, I remember having a coughing attack, blanking out and falling out of my chair. i recovered, and came back in for another one. Wow... that was some good pot. i grew it out for over a year and got everyone burned out on it. Green Crack puts me right out on my butt too. There is good pot out there... but you are really taking your chances at $8 a seed... you do get what you pay for, but it is also probably good you practiced for a while on the cheaper seeds. Time to step up the game a bit now that you know what you want. Now you can see why I love growing out breeder seeds... I know I am getting something special... something that Santero is trying to show off a bit. I know I am not wasting my time growing out B quality pot.
When I buy seeds I am looking for price points around $100... sometimes you get 3 seeds for that price... but you got to drop some coin to get the real quality stuff.

Back
Top Bottom