Jon's Dedicated Fruity Pebble Cookies Grow Plus The Mystery Plant

She will probably see increasing morning sun until Solstice. You may need to consider ventilation - or cover her around 6 PM (or whenever the sun is off of her).

I think it’s usually best to light dep in the morning before the plant heats up and starts active transpiration.

She will probably see increasing morning sun until Solstice. You may need to consider ventilation - or cover her around 6 PM (or whenever the sun is off of her).

I think it’s usually best to light dep in the morning before the plant heats up and starts active transpiration.
I've seen how it goes this time of year, and yes, you are correct, that's what will happen. But the increase in the morning sun doesn't really express itself any other way than this 1 pm time becoming a bit sooner. All the morning sun (from the east) is blocked all times of the year to this spot until the sun clears the roof and hits it from overhead.

I agree with you on the light dep generally speaking, and the way I figured it was 7 am to 7 pm. At 7 the light is definitely better than at 6 (I'm up at 5 daily). That would at least get her started each day in the same shade you see in the picture and make it so that about 50% of her 12 hour day has direct sun on the plant (varying angle, obviously, but not shade).

Regarding ventilation if I do this, I think based on the lack of ambient light hitting this spot at night from street lights and house lights (there's a little, but much less than other spots) I might be able to get away with leaving the box cover maybe an inch or two off the ground by putting the four sides up on a 2x4 block each to allow air to get in from underneath. I don't dare put a cord with a fan out there given the prevalence of sudden and unpredictable sun showers and 20 minute rain storms that happen all the time. All I need is to blow a circuit that's connected in some way to the infrastructure of the real plants. But for this small of a plant and since it's always in the 70s or 60s at night, never more than 75, I think that might allow me to get away with it. Plus, this would happen in about a week. So it isn't as if she'll be much more than one cola straight up. Maybe with minimal ventilation needs?

And remember that once you start with the light deprivation, you have to stick with it straight through harvest (or Sept 21st, whichever comes first).

Personally I'd leave it be.
I'm waffling. On your side I keep going back to god, what a pain in the ass. And also, damn, how obtrusive is a box every night going to look from the street 40 feet away from the sidewalk? Both are issues I don't like.

On the other side my fuc- off nature and disdain for authority plus my weed growing curiosity is the deal.

I'm torn.

:laugh::rofl:

There's nothing special about light deprivation that you should feel the need to conquer! There a lot of folks here (like me) who do/have done it for one reason or another (three off the top of my head), and always out of necessity. I can't see doing it for a challenge (to yourself or authority) like it's something new to prove/master.

But that's just my 2¢!

Jon,

I don’t know your neighborhood, but if the box is going to be that exposed, it’s probably best to move the plant. It isn’t worth advertising to a ripper that there might be even more plants inside and risking home invasion.

There's nothing special about light deprivation that you should feel the need to conquer! There a lot of folks here (like me) who do/have done it for one reason or another (three off the top of my head), and always out of necessity. I can't see doing it for a challenge (to yourself or authority) like it's something new to prove/master.

But that's just my 2¢!
That almost implies that you think I get that part. I'll take that as a sort of complement. Lol. You're right of course. I ain't bothering with it. It'll just be a front yard landscape piece and I will reevaluate when I have a tent open.

Jon,

I don’t know your neighborhood, but if the box is going to be that exposed, it’s probably best to move the plant. It isn’t worth advertising to a ripper that there might be even more plants inside and risking home invasion.
Not doing it. Not worth it. Nothing to prove here as Shed said. The risks outweigh everything else. I'll see how big she is when i open a tent up and perhaps reevaluate then.

Jack Herer Auto joins the show

Our Jack is the second of the four plants to show me a budlet. Figures the two beasts would be last to take the stage, fricking prima donnas. They know they are the only ones anyone is here to see. Including me. Lol. Not really me.

Jack is here.jpg

HOT CLIMATE AC UNIT USAGE CONTINUING PSA SERIES

Hi @BubbaKush909 - After you checked your AC unit and found it was indeed leaking light into the tent a little bit, I have made sure nightly that mine is okay, as I already had from the start of flower. But I got to checking it out a bit more thoroughly. The light coming in is obvious during the day and easy to see. Also easy to see when you have it covered. So you figure the unit has the top, two sides, and the back waffley part which all are potential light leak spots, right? Well guess what? Zero light comes through the back. It ALL comes in from those side and top air vent holes. I messed around until I figured that out. The best part of that is that you can actually cover it effectively and keep the unit running!!!!! All you have to do is leave enough air flow space and it won't overheat. Check out this photo. This has been four hours in the sun and no shut down. It works!!!! Perfect light seal on the inside. FYI!!!!

Btw - another thing many miss is that almost all of these type units come with a removeable, cleanable screen, did you know that? It's a very thin panel tucked in the side right before the vent. Mine's covered or I'd show you but you can't miss it if you're looking for it. I missed it for a long time. Find that and CLEAN it!!!! After just one grow it is almost completely blocked with dust.

Like this.jpg

Hi Jon!

Your condenser fins look a little smashed, but can easily be fixed using a Fin Comb.
1664480509218.png

You'll get better air flow and gain efficiency if they are straightened out. Use caution not to damage the refrigerant lines.

Video

Just FYI.

Not doing it. Not worth it. Nothing to prove here as Shed said. The risks outweigh everything else. I'll see how big she is when i open a tent up and perhaps reevaluate then.
Why not dig it up and pot it? Would sure make it easier to move now than with more roots every passing day.

Hi Jon!

Your condenser fins look a little smashed, but can easily be fixed using a Fin Comb.
You'll get better air flow and gain efficiency if they are straightened out. Use caution not to damage the refrigerant lines.
Video.

Just FYI.
THANKS @GratefulBud!!!! I never knew such a thing existed!!!!! That is so awesome. I used to take these apart for scrapping the copper when I lived with this girl who was a nut about it, but never came across the old Fin Comb. I knew I was semi compromised and almost got a new unit for this grow.

Why not dig it up and pot it? Would sure make it easier to move now than with more roots every passing day.
Nah. Been there done that with the Mystery Plant. Besides, why grow another unknown plant when I have a ton of the best genetics on earth just waiting for me to pull the trigger? Lol.

THANKS @GratefulBud!!!! I never knew such a thing existed!!!!! That is so awesome. I used to take these apart for scrapping the copper when I lived with this girl who was a nut about it, but never came across the old Fin Comb. I knew I was semi compromised and almost got a new unit for this grow.
Keeping the condenser grill clean will extend the life of the compressor as well. I use a flexible nylon brush to regularly remove the fuzzy blanket of dust. A metal fin comb helps to straighten out the aluminum fins should they get bent.

Keeping the condenser grill clean will extend the life of the compressor as well. I use a flexible nylon brush to regularly remove the fuzzy blanket of dust. A metal fin comb helps to straighten out the aluminum fins should they get bent.
I didn't know you were an AC unit devotee GB. That's cool. So far from ideal but we make it work, right?

I learned this grow that using the unit on a 3x3 the same way really blasts the bottom of the pot with the cold air pretty directly all the time. I feared it might cool the roots too much, so I have a big geopot as a blanket covering that side of the pot.

Thanks man, that's way cool.

I didn't know you were an AC unit devotee GB. That's cool. So far from ideal but we make it work, right?

I learned this grow that using the unit on a 3x3 the same way really blasts the bottom of the pot with the cold air pretty directly all the time. I feared it might cool the roots too much, so I have a big geopot as a blanket covering that side of the pot.

Thanks man, that's way cool.
You are welcome!
Many years ago I worked on refrigeration equipment.

Hi @Bill284, you may already be in bed, so hopefully you'll see this in the morning. Lmao!!!

I had another lightbulb moment about something you told me today. Remember you said to always feed as close to wake up as possible? You may not remember (lol) that I basically said, no, Jon's just going to water them when he thinks it's best instead.

Lol. As usual, when I go off the coco Bill reservation, your words are once again proven to be true.

Here's the thing:
If you water first thing in the morning they never stop praying. There literally is zero droop, ever. If you don't, there is. Simple as that. I've proven it over and over again this grow. Done proving it to myself now. You know how it is. Lol.

Thanks again, Sensei. For the rest of the grow everyone gets watered first thing. They always need it in the morning anyway. All these plants easily drain the pots in 24 hours. The stems inside must be like a Big Gulp straw up the middle. Lmao.

Back
Top Bottom