Just thinking: mold prevention?

Clinto

Gidday you mob. Hows shit?
Peroxide kill mold. H2o2 is peroxide so only extra oxygen thingy. Yeah? So what if give girls good bang of oxygen twice a week maybe?? Baked as. Mixed gorilla glue Bruce sour diesel strawberry cake and wasps Pig I am but fuck! Goes ok đź‘Ś

Except in the roots, oxygen is a waste product for plants, People do water with diluted H2O2, for root oxygenation, but the peroxide breaks down very quickly. Just 02 isn't going to have much effect. The best thing to do for PM is; do your best to create an inhospitable environment for it. It's not easy, since cannabis in veg likes warm humid conditions, but supplying good airflow and cleaning up dead/dying leaves can help.

Hey Clinto,

hydrogen peroxide is said to kill beneficial microlife. H202 is nice to have in your toolkit but not something I reach for often. I used to soak my seeds with it but now I skip the peroxide step and just roll them in mycos

micronized or wettable sulfur is a plant friendly, natural element and works as a fungicide, a miticide plus a preventative for pm and botyritis. (note- it’s a preventative not a cure, but hey prevention sounds good in my book)

Sulfur can be added to soil mix or used as foliar spray… the only conflict I’m aware of is sulfur and oil based chemicals should not be used (as foliar spray) within 2 weeks of each other or you risk burning up the foliage. Garden sulfur is cheap, any brand will do…

As always- read and understand the manufacturers instructions

Sulfur can be added to soil mix or used as foliar spray… the only conflict I’m aware of is sulfur and oil based chemicals should not be used (as foliar spray) within 2 weeks of each other or you risk burning up the foliage. Garden sulfur is cheap, any brand will do…
Sulfur applied to the soil will acidify it, so that's something to consider as well.
@InTheShed has a citric acid treatment that works great for PM. CL🍀
Thanks Captain! You might want to jot this down (or bookmark this post) so you can post it yourself. ;)

Here's the recipe (scale up as necessary...I mix a gallon at time!):
1.25g food grade citric acid
500ml distilled water
10 pipette drops dish soap

(For the record, 10 pipette drops of dish soap works out to a little less than 1ml in 1500ml of water, or 0.3ml per 500ml. I have since switched to yucca powder which is around 1/8 tsp/gallon.)

Mix well and spray, and make sure you get the whole plant as in flower PM can hide between the buds and the branch.

You can tell live PM from dead because live PM will wipe off with your finger (wash your hands after!). Dead PM looks similar but won't wipe off.

Just a note, this kills PM but doesn't prevent it so repeat if you see it come back. The only thing that tends to prevent PM are oil sprays which I don't use in flower. In veg I usually just use neem to keep the PM down.

Sulfur applied to the soil will acidify it, so that's something to consider as well.

Thanks Captain! You might want to jot this down (or bookmark this post) so you can post it yourself. ;)

Here's the recipe (scale up as necessary...I mix a gallon at time!):
1.25g food grade citric acid
500ml distilled water
10 pipette drops dish soap

(For the record, 10 pipette drops of dish soap works out to a little less than 1ml in 1500ml of water, or 0.3ml per 500ml. I have since switched to yucca powder which is around 1/8 tsp/gallon.)

Mix well and spray, and make sure you get the whole plant as in flower PM can hide between the buds and the branch.

You can tell live PM from dead because live PM will wipe off with your finger (wash your hands after!). Dead PM looks similar but won't wipe off.

Just a note, this kills PM but doesn't prevent it so repeat if you see it come back. The only thing that tends to prevent PM are oil sprays which I don't use in flower. In veg I usually just use neem to keep the PM down.

thanks for saving my bacon Shed!!!

Yes sir very valid point and I should mention go easy on the stuff . I’m adding a pinch every few waterings.

Hey @Clinto, what kind of mold/fungus are you trying to avoid specifically?

I live in moldsville here in Hawaii, and have been learning more and more about preventing powdery mildew, downy mildew, septoria leaf spot, bud rot, and root rots. I've got a thread going... my Quest for mold-resistant strains, link in my signature.

happy growing! 🪴

Hey @Clinto, what kind of mold/fungus are you trying to avoid specifically?

I live in moldsville here in Hawaii, and have been learning more and more about preventing powdery mildew, downy mildew, septoria leaf spot, bud rot, and root rots. I've got a thread going... my Quest for mold-resistant strains, link in my signature.

happy growing! 🪴
Hi cbd. Just common budrot. Grow inside sometimes power out ect run humidity up. Don’t get heaps as catch it quick. Will read your thread. Cheers mate

G'day Clinto,
Hi cbd. Just common budrot. Grow inside sometimes power out ect run humidity up. Don’t get heaps as catch it quick. Will read your thread. Cheers mate
Yeah, mold/fungus/rot is really bad in my area here in tropical, warm, wet Hawaii. Plus I grow outdoors in greenhouses. So, after a while I realized that probably my best bet is to look for resistant strains, instead of just trying to treat the plants with whatever to keep back the rot. Overall care of the plants, treating with beneficial nutes and microbes, and harvest timing, are still important whatever the case.

I've been looking for bud rot resistant strains, and so far the winner is HI-BISCUS from Humboldt Seed Company, an experienced breeder in NorCal who creates stable seed lines with specific traits including fungus resistance. Their Humboldt Dream has been very good as well. Others I'm hearing about but haven't tried yet: Trainwreck, Chemdawg, Super Skunk, Skunk Dawg (Super Skunk x Chemdawg), and Wonder Woman (Super Skunk x White Widow).

HI-BISCUS (50/50 hybrid, sativa effects), 4 weeks in flower
1684375581728.png

So, natural resistance may not be found by just looking for seeds for whatever particular well-known strain, from whatever particular seed seller, that may be known to be resistant. I think it's probably a better idea to look for seed from expert breeders who specifically make stable seed lines that include mold/fungus resistance.

I have been using peroxide spray to help keep back the leaf mold and bud rot. I use 8 fl oz of 3% peroxide in 1/2 gal of pure water, plus 12 drops of Bronner's liquid soap, in the pump sprayer.

I recently learned about Trichoderma, which is a beneficial fungus that kills pathogenic fungi in the root zone. Here's some of my postings that talk about Trichoderma: HERE and HERE.

"Trichoderma activates the plant's innate ability to fight off fungi that attack the leaves and buds, as well. It does this by communicating with the plant. You can also do a foliar spray of trichoderma, and then the organism will colonize leaf surfaces, etc., and directly attack pathogenic fungi and mildew on leaves and buds, including botrytis bud rot."

:morenutes:

If you don't get heaps since you catch it quick is the second step.

Try treating the plant for budrot before you see it. If it works out then there is nothing to catch a couple of weeks later. ;)

To me it seems like a lot less work to prevent than the work it takes to stop and get rid of the problem once it starts.

Back
Top Bottom