JZ's Shootout: Part Deux

Jozo-sha

First off, thank you to those who have stuck around while I abused the hell out of some plants in the original shootout thread; since I actually have done hydroponic grows (with success, I might add), Part Deux promises to be more SteveHman-like in it's flow :adore:

I've got the following in the 2' x 2' tent:

• 3 x Unknown Paradise Seeds Females (Ice Cream/White Berry/Sensi Star)
  • 1 x C99 Hybrid
  • 1 x Cream Caramel
  • 1 x Armageddon (just put in soil today!)
  • 1 x Diesel (just put in soil today!)
  • 1 x Bubblegummer (just put in soil today!)

Part_Deux_-_2.jpg
Part_Deux_-_3.jpg
Part_Deux_-_4.jpg
Part_Deux_-_5.jpg
Part_Deux_-_6.jpg
Part_Deux_-_7.jpg
Part_Deux_-_8.jpg

These are all in soil, so most likely I'll use them as moms, once I decide which strain(s) I'll be choosing for this. Note the stacked nodes? I've got this 63w light just about an inch above the tallest girl!

The hydroponic unit is the Easy2Grow system, described thus:

Extremely easy to set up and use, the complete Easy2Grow Kit comes complete with a large 47 liter (12.4 US dry gallon) tank with cover; two (2) 8.5 liter (1.93 US dry gallon) square growing pots; the dual AutoPot Tray (2 cavities) and AQUAvalve cover; 1 AQUAvalve; 1.5 meters (5 feet) of 6mm (1/4in) supply tubing; 2 Root Control Discs; 2 Marix Discs; inline filter and complete instructions.

I have 2 extra growing pots, so I'm going to keep the reservoir outside the tent, and two growing pots under each LED unit. I still need to buy the PVC to make my tent divider, and make a decision on nutes and media.

I have used the FloraNova two-part with much success, so I'll probably stick with that -- I purchased both Grodan Rockwool Croutons and some Canna Coir, and the hydro guy said straight croutons would be fine, as would cutting the Coir with some more coarse coco husk material (think Crop Circles®).

I'm thinking since I only have 4 containers to work with, to highlight possible differences in the LED's, I will grow one each of a sativa and an indica per side - the C99 should fit the bill sativa-wise; I'll see how the other girls develop.

Hey jZ I'm glad to see you back Into it....I'm in the first row too...let's do this...goodluck...:peace:

Hydrated up a pair of Crop Circles with RO/DI water last night, will mix it up 50/50 with Canna coir after work, and see what I think.

Dammit, If I only had the $$$ for another LED and a tent, I'd get this hydro system up and running NOW!

:bongrip: - JZ

Did some defoliating in the big tent last night, and pulled some cuts from the younger Chocolope plants. My new experiment is 50/50 coir and crop circle material (100% coco), crammed into the tiny ass Air Pots, and seeing if I can wick up water with them to keep the cuts moist but not wet, and get rooting.

If this works, then all I have to do is continue adding water to the 'res' (yeah, it's a cat litter box pan), with some nutes to veg it up, then transplant into ...well, whatever!

Part_Deux_-_09.jpg
Part_Deux_-_10.jpg
Part_Deux_-_111.jpg
Part_Deux_-_14.jpg

63w is starting to not cut it in this 2' x 2' tent for sure!

Picked up even more cuts from a local friend ( :love: ), and have subjected them (Wonder Woman) to the same coco rooting experiment as the Chocolope cuts.

The Chocolopes are still fully erect, no drooping whatsoever - the WW's, of course, are more tender stemmed cuts, so are probably going to take some time to adapt to the medium and moisture content. Just to boost the chances of rooting happening faster (if it works at all), I added a tablespoon of AN's Jump Start to the (now full sized) tray underneath the Air Pots.

I've got no more room in this 2' x 2' - it's cram packed now :high-five: , I may just take two of the Paradise babies, repot them in 50/50 coir and soil, and 12/12 them - that leaves open the two spots I need for the other Cream Caramels, as they're stacked atop the back row of pots with germinated seedlings! :morenutes:

Oh, I also decided, using FloraNova Grow and Bloom for this, as it's proven itself with my past DWC experiences, and I already have a quart of each!

I'm starting to think if this coco-Air Pot wicking rootination method works, the flowering cuts method might be an *excellent* method for me to do a perpetual grow. Thinking is the I can use the 4 pot hydro unit to flower 4 strains (if I want), take flowering cuts, coco-Air Pot root them, and by the time the flowering plants are chopped, the cuts will be fully rooted and ready to place into the hydro unit. Rinse and repeat.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good plan if you can get the flowering cuts to take reliably. Each strain will work differently

All the plants in soil or soil/coco have been moved into the big tent under 12/12 lighting, so now, in the small tent, under 63w are 4 Chocolope cuts and 4 Wonder Woman cuts:

Chocolope -
Dirt_Wrapup_-_19.jpg

Wonder Woman -
Dirt_Wrapup_-_20.jpg

The 8 girls -
Dirt_Wrapup_-_18.jpg

Let's see if I can get some rooting action in the next week or so.

Good job and good luck to you I will try to pop in as often as I can because i havew a test grow going on too. I have to change the way I am going to do it but I hope you get everything going well and it sounds like you figured out the kinks in this new setup. I will check back in in a couple of days and if you ever need some help just ask you now.

im in for this interesting grow buddy :tokin:

Thanks!
Sounds like a good plan if you can get the flowering cuts to take reliably. Each strain will work differently
Yeah, this method with the coco was a bust. Update down below!
Good job and good luck to you I will try to pop in as often as I can because i havew a test grow going on too. I have to change the way I am going to do it but I hope you get everything going well and it sounds like you figured out the kinks in this new setup. I will check back in in a couple of days and if you ever need some help just ask you now.
Thanks brother! I can use all the help I can get! :Namaste:
im in for this interesting grow buddy :tokin:
:welcome: Hope it's worth following!

Here's an update. I wanted to free up the tent to get the last of the soil plants vegged bigger (in retrospect, they were only in 12/12 for 4 days), so moved the young Chocolopes and a 300W unit upstairs and dragged the 63W downstairs.

Since the cuts were NOT rooting, even remotely, though not dead, I re-cut them, added rooting gel and popped them in root cubes; they're under the 63W now. Here's a few shots to whet the appetite:

Dirt_Wrapup_-_25.jpg
Dirt_Wrapup_-_26.jpg
Dirt_Wrapup_-_27.jpg

:peace:

Okay... I have to start paying better attention, I didn't realize you had another journal up until just now.

:popcorn:

Nice work, Jozo! :bravo:

Looks like you've got a great start to an awesome grow, Brother! :welldone:

I knew us hydro guys would get to you sooner or later! :)

Best wishes for a BOUNTIFUL harvest! :goodluck:

Okay... I have to start paying better attention, I didn't realize you had another journal up until just now.

:popcorn:
Thanks for coming by (again), maybe I'll end up with a respectful chop by the time all is said and done!
Nice work, Jozo! :bravo:

Looks like you've got a great start to an awesome grow, Brother! :welldone:

I knew us hydro guys would get to you sooner or later! :)
Best wishes for a BOUNTIFUL harvest! :goodluck:
Dude, I started with hydro and LED's :laughtwo:
Yeah, one of these days, I'll get a decent chop. I have all the tools, just been a string of....err... 'learning experiences' :high-five:
Wow.. I just saw that you started "part-deux"... I guess it's better late than never. Looks like a good start Jozo-sha!
:welcome::thanks: I did find that coir and soil 50/50 (well, the stuff I get) seems to be the ticket. There's certainly more experimentation to come with that blend as these soil plants finish up.
Hi JZ,

Count me in... :passitleft:
Hello friend! :welcome: Thanks for joining in and seeing how a local guy does! The way it looks, I should be asking you for tips! :rofl:

The seven girls got a light watering with just ro/di tonight, and I sure see how much better the coco coir cut soil waters up; very little pooling and the water just goes right on down where it's needed. The C99 Hybrid will be getting transplanted into a 50/50 mix as well (soon at that), the watering was NOT fun with that plant at all.

If I didn't think there'd be so much stress and trauma to the plants, I'd transplant most (if not all) of them into hydro and get it on -- I think they're just a bit too old for that kind of treatment at this point.

Also, that odd variegation in the chocolope leaves? Well, all those babies under the 300W are showing that; I'm starting to suspect it's the LED's, so I raised the unit up about 18" higher. Don't want to create bleach blonde buds! :rofl:

Part Deux: Clones and Beans

I'm in damnit, I'm in!
Good, dammit! :high-five:

So, since the cloning experiment failed, and the cuts are barely hanging in there (re-cut/cloning gell'd, etc.), I'mma hedge my bets and pop some seeds in the tiny ass Air Pots with a 50/50 coir/coco husk mix. As soon as they're old enough for nutes, I'll just top water them and maintain them until they're big enough to sex and drop into the real hydro system and *hopefully* all the dirt stuff will be closer to finishing up by then. If I get unlucky and pop only one girl, then I'll get cuts early and when they're rooted will crank shit up!

I'm starting to lean towards Grape God x Big Bud beans that I acquired from a friend - I've had both parents, and then cross is killer... I'm kinda excited to get back into hydro; I think my chops have improved after this year of misfortune and learning.

Don't worry SteveHman: Dirt is great for burying the opposition! :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom