Keeping it Underground 600 Watt HPS + 8 Light T5 Cellar Grow

My temp in my res was 78... removed the fogger for now. I put a frozen plastic thing for a lunch box in my res its hanging in the spot that doesnt have a plant so it doesnt touch the roots. Iv got an extra res. maybe i could fill it a qarter way with ice and stack my res on top of it??? Would that work?? What can i do besides buying a chiller for way too much money????????

YIKES!!! 78 is way over. Like cooking the roots. To cool the res has been a topic for many folks. I'm with you on the water chiller thing. WAY to expensive. I almost got an Ice Probe, which I saw a guy use for a small grow. It brought the temp down like 7 degrees or so. But I think it's like $100, too much still if you ask me.

What I did, was a bit of a pain, but worked for me. I ended up adding a larger bucket around the res and would fill that bucket up daily with ice bottles and insulate the top with towels. It dropped my res temps about 7 degrees (would have been more if I wanted it too, but that was good enough), if I remember right, and all was good after that. I've seen people put ice bottle directly into the res a couple of times a day to keep temps down, and that worked for them. BUT doing that can cause minor issues with ice bottles touching roots.

The temp also went down for me a bit when the plants got large enough to block out the light. I've tried insulating the res, but that just slows the time it takes for the water to make it's way to room temperature.

Make sure your air pump is above the res, but in a cool place, you don't want it pumping hot air into the res.

Directing a fan at the res, could bring it down a degree or two. Raise the res off the floor to allow good air flow.

Is you ground warm, or cold? Cold ground is good for the res to sit on.

Most small growers I've come accross have used ice in one way or another to help cool the system. I personally think the easiest is to change out ice bottles each day, whether you put them in the res somehow, or have them pressed up against the outside of the res to cool it that way.

I'm sure we can figure something out that works best for you.

No problem Troublesome2. :) Just remember to have a way to take the water out if you are pouring ice. I used ice bottles, so i had minimal condensation left in the bottom of the larger res, which i only once soaked up with a towel. A lot of water could be an issue unless it gets swapped out every so often.

I will put a drain at the bottom and raise my res so i can drain it :) Easy ;)
I hate that my plants are having problems but i do like fixing them for educational purposes. I had no idea that the temps were going to become a problem or i would have started out prepared for the high temps. LESSON LEARNED :)
I will at least be going with a much larger res next go round. That should help with the problem at least a little.

For sure a larger res will help. No worries, I had the same temp issues, I had no idea about it either til I started, but quickly learned a lot of folks end up having the issue. I can look for my info I got about best temps for the plants and stuff, I'm going off of memory right now.

Here's some info I got from an old grower friend:

There is a relationship between temperature and the absorption of gases by plants that many hobbyist growers are aware of. That is the relationship between the temperature of the water in your reservoir and the amount of oxygen the water can hold. The best range that your reservoir can be between is 60F-75F. Ideally the reservoir temperature should be at 65F because this level optimal for processing oxygen. Also this temperature will help control transpiration (the act of drawing up nutrients by evaporating water throughout the leaves), and humidity levels. Buying a simple aquarium floating thermometer will allow you to know where you fit in this range.

On the topic of roots, there is an ideal temperature for the root zone after the plants’ roots have been established. Roots are working 24 hours a day and constant attention is required concerning temperature in and around the root zone. The ideal temp for this root zone is generally 65 to 75 degrees F. At this temperature the ion exchange between the roots and the environment around them is at its absolute best. This means that the plant’s root system can take up more macro nutrients, more micro nutrients, and more oxygen at this temperature than at any other level. This makes a plant more efficient and a plant working efficiently will provide a superior yield.

I found that having the res at 75 F for too long is an issue. It's just too warm, I went by the rule, 72 and lower, 72 for no more then a couple hours. I shoot for 70 and lower since that is the most ideal temps. Hope that helps!

I will put a drain at the bottom and raise my res so i can drain it :) Easy ;)
I hate that my plants are having problems but i do like fixing them for educational purposes. I had no idea that the temps were going to become a problem or i would have started out prepared for the high temps. LESSON LEARNED :)
I will at least be going with a much larger res next go round. That should help with the problem at least a little.

Yah temps will hurt yuh.Also any light can be a problem.Are you using any organics such as castings or quanos in your mix.It looks a little brown.I am learning thick organics do not mix well and bad micro organisms start to take over your roots starving them from the good organisms.Also all the build up may be starving plants for much needed 02.I have been using a organic quano and earthwarm casting brew in my set up but finding a hard time with it I am brain storming on an alternative.Any plant based organic is good just not poop.:peace:

My temp in my res was 78... removed the fogger for now. I put a frozen plastic thing for a lunch box in my res its hanging in the spot that doesnt have a plant so it doesnt touch the roots. Iv got an extra res. maybe i could fill it a qarter way with ice and stack my res on top of it??? Would that work?? What can i do besides buying a chiller for way too much money????????

LOL I think that old saying is true.......Great minds think alike.I was thinking of something simular to do a grow outside using ice packs or some type of gismo to circulate cool water in and out of inbetween the 2 containers.......But this is my patent you cant have it lol I am just kidding but I bet an outdoor hydro would be off the hook.:peace:

I bet an outdoor hydro would be off the hook.
SHIT YA!! A outside hydro would do AWESOME!
I am using GH nutes. No extra additives my micro makes it that color :)
Iv got a pic of my roots the are slime free for the moment.
I think i was just paranoid the other day. My temp is at 72 right now thats at least better than 78 Ill work on a few other things to get it down a few more degrees
PICS COMING IN A FEW :)

SOOO MANY BUD SITES WAY TOO MANY TO COUNT :)

DSC01637_800x600_.jpg

DSC01638_800x600_.jpg

A LOOK INTO THE JUNGLE :)
DSC01643_800x600_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom