Keffka's Recycling, KOS Blue Thai, Herbies Seeds Apple Betty, Runtz Punch

Think he's in Coco which is different than my promix.
I'm high as hell but don't think I misspelled anything... šŸ˜‚
Cheers, all good either way folks are going to do what's comfortable

God damn it double G are you for or against droughting?! šŸ¤£

There's a paper on drought stress written by Dr. Deron Caplan.
As I understand it he grew a bunch of plants and subjected them to different levels of drought stress.
The short version is, if you allow the plant to dry back to a certain point in flower it will produce 10-20% more cannabinoids than identical plants (clones from the same mother) grown under identical controlled conditions minus the drought stress.
He even identified a means of determining whether or not the drought had gone on long enough.
The whole thing is covered in the droughting thread Krissi started.
It only applies to soil, not any form of hydro, and I'm not sure how well it works with organics, especially since it involves letting your soil dry out.

Edit: There's a link to the paper in the droughting thread, but I'm not digging to find it. That thread got huge.

As I understand it he grew a bunch of plants and subjected them to different levels of drought stress.
The short version is, if you allow the plant to dry back to a certain point in flower it will produce 10-20% more cannabinoids than identical plants (clones from the same mother) grown under identical controlled conditions minus the drought stress.
He even identified a means of determining whether or not the drought had gone on long enough.
It only applies to soil, not any form of hydro, and I'm not sure how well it works with organics, especially since it involves letting your soil dry out.

Iā€™ll check out the thread. I definitely would not try it in anything other than soil. Although I could see a way in coco, but definitely not hydro.

Edit: There's a link to the paper in the droughting thread, but I'm not digging to find it. That thread got huge.
Droughting works in soil and certain soilless, especially promix. Not coco, different animal.

Hereā€™s a link to all of his research:

Fun fact, Dr Caplan was the first person in N America to earn a phd with research in cannabis production. Iā€™ll be checking out all of his work this weekend

ā€œUpon harvest, drought-stressed plants had increased concentrations of major cannabinoids tetrahydrocannabinol acid (THCA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) by 12% and 13%, respectively, compared with the control. Further, yield per unit growing area of THCA was 43% higher than the control, CBDA yield was 47% higher, āˆ† ā¹ -tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) yield was 50% higher, and cannabidiol (CBD) yield was 67% higher. Controlled drought stress may therefore be an effective horticultural management technique to maximize both inflorescence dry weight and cannabinoid yield in cannabis, although results may differ by cannabis cultivar or chemotype.ā€œ

Thatā€™s what I was thinking. I imagine like most things itā€™s going to heavily depend on where the strains originated in Nature and what sort of systems theyā€™ve evolved.

Droughting works in soil and certain soilless, especially promix. Not coco, different animal.

This makes sense to me. When grown fully synthetic in an inert or hydro medium, cannabis really doesnā€™t have the need to establish its natural systems. If anything I can see it causing more problems since the plant comes to depend on the grower for everything.

Organic near the end of flower would recommend droughting. Not the beginning of flower because of the roots

Agreed. I wouldnā€™t be comfortable droughting until I knew the roots were strong enough to handle it

Agreed. I wouldnā€™t be comfortable droughting until I knew the roots were strong enough to handle it
The study suggested that Week 7 of a typical 8-9 week strain was the time to do it if I recall. Up to 11 days if needed to get the proper leaf wilt angle.

That's why I wouldn't ever go sip....big plants no trichs, think about it.
Meaning what, you think you won't get trichomes growing in SIPs? :hmmmm:

The study suggested that Week 7 of a typical 8-9 week strain was the time to do it if I recall. Up to 11 days if needed to get the proper leaf wilt angle.

Meaning what, you think you won't get trichomes growing in SIPs? :hmmmm:
Pictures are a 1000 words..and no I haven't seen a sip grow that's trich out compared to other grows in soilless or organics.
Not hating on it but I wouldn't waste 4 months on a grow with it.
Big plants though.
Cheers

The study suggested that Week 7 of a typical 8-9 week strain was the time to do it if I recall. Up to 11 days if needed to get the proper leaf wilt angle

That makes sense. Do you recall if it was something youā€™re supposed to do until harvest or are you supposed to water again before chop?

Score.. check it out @Gee64 he covers the dolomite lime recipe.

@StoneOtter he has all of the water information from his website in the new book

IMG_7619.jpeg

IMG_7618.jpeg

If I didnā€™t know better Iā€™d swear Rev stole this image from this Blue Thai grow journal šŸ¤£

IMG_7621.jpeg

Oh snap @Gee64 check it out!! Rev no longer uses teas either albeit for a different reasoning

IMG_7625.jpeg

I only usually use 1 tea right before stretch and it's only 1 cup EWC, 1 tbsp kelp, and 1 tbsp molasses. It's just to boost the microbe levels.

I have no idea what the ppm is, but it can burn tips if you use too much, even after cutting it 50/50 with RO water, so pretty high I would imagine.

I'm brewing one this week, I'll let you know.

Pictures are a 1000 words
Plenty to be seen in the Droughting thread

That makes sense. Do you recall if it was something youā€™re supposed to do until harvest or are you supposed to water again before chop?
Done in week 7 of an 8-9 week strain, then a brief recovery period then harvest.

I think the rescue drink is to rehydrate everything so it dries/cures properly.

I think the rescue drink is to rehydrate everything so it dries/cures properly

This makes sense. I did not do this to the Apple Betty and immediately recognized it made drying and curing weird and uneven. Lost a lot of the flavor and smell but was smooth and powerful

Score.. check it out @Gee64 he covers the dolomite lime recipe.

@StoneOtter he has all of the water information from his website in the new book

IMG_7619.jpeg

IMG_7618.jpeg
That dolomite water might make for a good alternative to the eggshell/vinegar extract I've been making.

I'll check it out in more detail. I wonder of one could make a more concentrated version for long term storage and then just dilute it out when applying. šŸ¤”

That dolomite water might make for a good alternative to the eggshell/vinegar extract I've been making.

I'll check it out in more detail. I wonder of one could make a more concentrated version for long term storage and then just dilute it out when applying. šŸ¤”

I believe that is what @StoneOtter does if Iā€™m not mistaken.

Depending on your water source I donā€™t see a reason why you couldnā€™t store it long term.

Back
Top Bottom