Lets Talk Coco! Organics & Salts

Yo Crazy, your shot at first round success with coir are as good or better than with anything else. What is not in this thread are all the little adjustments that you will make, because of your unique(though similar) garden. Water varies, temperature variations, and other minor differences. How regular you check and respond to plant needs will be unique to you. First round love affairs are normal, and cannabis is ideal for first time growers to do good. Yours will be good, too.
Besides giving superior results, I like coco coir because it's cheap and it's a 'green' byproduct. Transporting from Sri Lanka is the costliest part of it? Crazy world

Thanks alot for the support. Currently i couldnt be hapier with my first grow. Maybe its luck,maybe its research but its a lovly sight bving a green garden. Coco seems like the logical choice for price/growth rate. I have a DWC bubbler sitting next to my garden with nothing in it because i cant get over my small short success with coco. Itook the precautions with adding lime and cal/mag. So far so good. Now like you said its time to find the unique parts of "my grow style" stay green gator.

agreed with mr gator i am, i am testing some new roots organics coco, seems a little dirtier that cocotek more odd pieces and non coco things like plastic pop bottle ring,rocks,wood chips,, the runoff ppm test shows its pretty clean but needs some rinsing ppm 300 my tap runs 200-250 so theres still something (salt) in it, it expands fast and big so it seems pretty good with a little care and rinsing it should work good and i understand the price is quite low, after some garden lime azomite,mykos and some other goodies it will work well i think

If I figured out the lime thing and was able to supply slow release Ca in the right amount, and knew of a way to do the same with Mg I could use rainwater or buy an RO and use that, I could light a big spliff :ganjamon: What I do is use BPN 2 part w/ the blue stuff and tap water and act like I know what I'm doing. Kinda lucky I(we) am, cannabis knows how to grow good. Give it a fair shot and don't let it dry out. Light it up and watch for bugs. It grows idiot friendly but lazy arrogance can tear it up. Been there, know what I'm talking about.

Well thats good to hear. Ive been doing frequent smaller waterings. Except when they were young ofcourse. I tried to let it dry out a bit i read the roots will grow more searching for water. Who knows but so far so good

Haven't tried it yet, but believe that a constant drip from a couple of emitters each pot would give best results. Could be from a reservoir that runnoff is returned to, rather than to waste. Natural aeration would be adequate in each pot, no bubbles. Oxygen is NOT a nutrient, it is a waste product of photosynthesis. In it's presence in the root medium, anaerobic bacteria cannnot live to rot your roots. Any O is enough. more O is better? bullshit

Media doesn't dry out just because the plant uses salty water. Much water evaporates, leaving the salt behind , concentrated. Minerals are soluble only when they are a salt. Sodium Chloride is most certainly not the only kind of salt. The white deposits at the top of dried medium are in part, calcium sulfate: a salt. I doubt any of it was available to the plant from the saturate solution that evaporation left from which dried salt could precipitate. Drying out the media can only hurt, not help living plants. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

You want a thick ball of roots? DWC will give it to you in 24/7 immersion.

Bid i think i remeber reading that in one of your journals so i was never scared of over-watering coco.its experiments like that which make it easier for us newbies. Again thx.
Gator that does make sense. Im completly new to this but the concept of dwc on constantly having water to the roots does show amazing growth. Id like to think that if i could see the roots on a coco plant theyd be similar

I'm still learning coco, but I'm getting the hang of it. My mother candidates look great in their little 1g pots. Soon I'll be transplanting them to larger pots. I have extra mothers, so I'll flower those out in cloth shopping bags in coco/perl/verm mix. This time I'll make sure to do some amending. I don't have azomite yet. I only have some fine dolomite lime and mycos. It will be interesting to grow out these moms in some coco. My biggest concern is pests. This stuff seems so similar to soil, that I'm worried it will harbor some nasties. :blalol:

Bid i think i remeber reading that in one of your journals so i was never scared of over-watering coco.its experiments like that which make it easier for us newbies. Again thx.
Gator that does make sense. Im completly new to this but the concept of dwc on constantly having water to the roots does show amazing growth. Id like to think that if i could see the roots on a coco plant theyd be similar

You can see the roots when you transplant and harvest. I love inspecting root balls to study how that plant developed. After all, we're growing roots. Those pretty buds are just the by products. :winkyface:

excellent the more coco"nuts" we get in here the better:thumb::circle-of-love::thumb:

:ciao:

Haven't tried it yet, but believe that a constant drip from a couple of emitters each pot would give best results. Could be from a reservoir that runnoff is returned to, rather than to waste. Natural aeration would be adequate in each pot, no bubbles. Oxygen is NOT a nutrient, it is a waste product of photosynthesis. In it's presence in the root medium, anaerobic bacteria cannnot live to rot your roots. Any O is enough. more O is better? bullshit

Media doesn't dry out just because the plant uses salty water. Much water evaporates, leaving the salt behind , concentrated. Minerals are soluble only when they are a salt. Sodium Chloride is most certainly not the only kind of salt. The white deposits at the top of dried medium are in part, calcium sulfate: a salt. I doubt any of it was available to the plant from the saturate solution that evaporation left from which dried salt could precipitate. Drying out the media can only hurt, not help living plants. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

You want a thick ball of roots? DWC will give it to you in 24/7 immersion.

I agree 100%. No matter how much air you pump into your water it can only hold 12PPM o2 anyway. And this can only be achieved when the water is around 50F cooler the better. RCDWC is even better which im running now :thumb:

yes letting the coco dry out too much will cause wild ph swings,best to keep it moist, i too have ruined a few by lazy neglect

Actually letting it dry out more is better. I lt dry out to the point the pot is weightless. When you do this you allow the roots to grow threw the medium even more. Coco and rockwool are the 2 mediums thats its ok to let your plants grow root bound in. I grew 1ft plants in a 8oz cups. Also PH isnt a issue in coco, never checked my PH in coco. Great thread by the way! :thumb:

First GH 100% Coco coir grow

IMG_0745_1_.JPG

IMG_0455_1_.JPG

Hi guys! How's everyone doing. I'm a first time poster and quite new in growing, had some experience in soil.
Sorry in advance if I've posted in a wrong thread, but anyway it's about coco)
Any ideas what's up with my ladies? Both seeds were set at the same time on 29th of Apr.
PH of feeding solution is 5.9, runoff the same, ppm in ->470=>550. (ppm of water incl)
I'm using ATAMI Coco A+B + rootbastik + Just tap water (desilt) at 45ppm less than 0.1EC...quite soft.
Watering once a day with a 300-500ml of compost and getting 50-100 runoff. The media is always moist.
Flushed once up to 500ppm and stopped using root stimulator, now plants get only 50% of full strength, which is 460-470 ppm (ppm of water incl)
Initially I thought it caused by lack of Mg, so I added 1 gram of magnesium nitrate per gallon to compost 2 days ago and did a foliar feeding with a magnesium sulphate (3gr/gallon). God damn new leaves come out infected.
Last watering I ph'd to 5.7 and got the same runoff.

Looks like nute burn. Nute burn will lead to plant stress and root swelling and in turn you will see the plant discolor which we call PH deficiencies. Just use regular water and continue to add light grow base nutes (if needed only) and in 1-2 weeks new growth will show improvement.
Thx a lot for helping! I'll reduce daily watering with nutes up to 25% of full strength, N/P/K/Ca/Mg - 26/15/25/30/12 its about 240-250 ppm with water ppm, and ph to 5.7. What do you think, will it be useful for them in such condition uptake additional co2 in tabs (from no mercy supply)? and a Bacterial powder from no mercy as well.

y'all can make it as complicated or as easy as you want to, weed don't care. neither does the coir
keeping it wet, breezy and bright works, and a little shit & piss don't hurt neither

right, so I use fancy factory mineral salts in a nice easy to use mix, but not much of it
mostly water, weed is picky about that

Back
Top Bottom