Lighting and tent - how many plants?

Thanks a bunch for the info stealthboat really appreciate it should b Startin my grow in the next 7 to 10 days so excited I feel like it's Christmas morning and I'm 10 yr old lol

I'm gonna try to scrog if I don't like it then I'll try a sog next time and experiment with other things gotta try and figure out what I like best and run with it ya know

Hello all of u and thank u very much for any and all input this site kicks ass it's kinda hard to believe that so many experienced growers will take the time answer questions to use noobs. I've been reading a lot on sog n Scrog it seems to make way more sense today than it did yesterday that's for sure lol so any more input on the whole thing would b awesome thanks again guys!!

You might wanna look into FLUX: Light Addict's Fluxing Central - Featuring The Original Flux Journal

Ya I read 1 of the threads he has about it sounds very intriguing I'm definitely gonna look into it more that's for sure what he can do with this plants is amazing the guys a weed genius lol

1 more question for u guys since u already know I got the 600 watt in my 4x4 tent how many supplement cfl lights should I hang around the sides??

There's all kinds of ways to measure light but a general rule of thumb when using MH or HPS lights is at 50-70 watts per square foot of growing area. You can spread the light thinner than that but to get good, tight flowers that are easy to trim and put of weight, that will do.

For example:
1000 watts ideally covers a 4'x4' space which is 16 square feet.
1000 divided by 16 = 62.5 watts per square foot.

To make maximum use of that light you would need to contain it within those 16 square feet even if it means building a wall or reflective partition to contain the light. Even a 5'x5' space would not reflect all the light for maximum yield. That extra foot that light would have to travel to reflect off of the wall and then travel back off the wall another foot before it hits your plants would lose about 70% of potential light around the edges of the garden. Directly under the light would not be affected.

I used to have a 10 light garden in a 20x12 ft. room. I ran 5 lights down opposite, 20 foot walls with a 4' row in the middle.
5 lights x 4'=20'. so the lights fit perfectly.
But the two row were only 4' wide with a 4' row in the middle that light would spill out into the row. I had very high ceilings so I ran some cord on a pulley attached to eye hooks on the ceiling that held 4x8, white panels hanging at plant level exactly 4' away from each wall to immediately reflect the light back onto the plants and not into the isles. When I was working I would pull them up and out of the way to make room and when I was done I positioned them back at plant level. This simple difference increased my yield by 20%!
Something to think about.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info onehitter I really appreciate it. So with my 600w light how many cfl ' s should I hang around the sides for supplemental lighting? ? I'm using a 4x4x6.5 tent??

I don't use side lighting but then again i'm as cheap as chips grower myself...

Now my own tent is 90cm by 90cm by 180cm with a 400w hps that is about 44w per square foot... doesn't really work out equal when ya look into things in detail mind you, its just a rule of the thumb equation !

On average i grow a small/medium bush no special training apart from some LST...

With low yielding strains on average between 1 & 1/4 to 2 oz per plant dry weight.

With higher yielding strains on average between 2 to 3.5 oz per plant dry weight.

All under a 400w HPS that is about 3 or 4 plants at best per harvest & can get cramped with 4 girlies in that size of tent...

Even had a plant of 6 & 1/4 oz dry weight under 400w but that required longer veg period & topping, took up a lot of space mind you :green_heart:

I believe i can easy beat 1 GPW with the right strain in 90cm by 90cm tent with a 400w HPS grown SoG style 16 to 20 plants per 1 m2 !

Not super worried about the heat right now it's winter and I got ducting coming in from outside with a small slide gate that I can open and close all the way or just a little at a time it's 55 in my room with the ducting plugged so it's pretty chilly lol and for summer I got a wall ac unit or a portable 20000 btu ac unit

So it sounds like with my setup and if I'm not a complete dipshit I should do pretty well then lol I'm gonna start a grow journal once I get my seeds started so then hopefully the experienced growers will help me out and help me keep my ladies as healthy and beautiful as possible

If you stick to the advice of the people here that have a bunch of successful grows, you can not go wrong.

Do not over-nute .. do not over-adjust .. do not over-water .. if you can manage that, buds will be had.

Frome the sounds of it from a lot of reviews and thread them r the 3 main issues noobs run into so I'm gonna try and be mindful of that stuff and actually listen to the growers with lots of experience cuz I really wanna have the best grow possible. I grabbed stuff to hang my cfl ' s around the edges so I have my 600w mh/hps plus 252 watts of 6500 cfls so I hoping that will b good for this grow and maybe my next 1 or 2 then once I actually know what I'm doing I may go bigger but for now I'm gonna stick to what I have!!

There are many types, CO2 bags, CO2 aresols, and Co2 boxes (one for veg and one for flower), but the bes are/are the Green Pads have been tested and they go to 1,500 worth of O2, Remember Co2 bags start working at temps of 80 degreese and only when lights are on, also need to place bags, ect above plants ,because, CO2 is heavier than air. So BagCO2 have a larger opening than others, but tanks are your best bet, but if your grow space is small Green Pads will work just fine (size of grow room depends on # of bags,pads needed)

Sounds like your lighting will be OK size of room again? sorry a 3 by 3 you will need some sort of fans for air exchange,ect Air should be removed form grow area ever 30 seconds or so. "out-with old -in with new air, proper air ventilaltion, circulation is necessary for good plant growth

Thanks for all the info onehitter I really appreciate it. So with my 600w light how many cfl ' s should I hang around the sides for supplemental lighting? ? I'm using a 4x4x6.5 tent??

I have never used those kinds of lights before.
600 watts divided by 16 square feet equals 37.5 watts per 2ft. Will that work? Yes. Is it ideal? No. I would add at least 200 more watts very minimum.

One needs 2,000 lumes per square ft figure a 500 watt CFL (7,150 lumens) uses 105 in engery cost. formulas for lumens = lenght x with x's 2,0000 (4x4 =16 the x's by 2000 = 3,600 lumen s needed for effective lighting in your 4by4 grow space. Lumens are noted on back of package If you are using a 660 CFL watt for main light consider 100 to 250 watts for side lighting, if you use 600's too much heat for your space even tho cfl's don't produce to much heat also use at least 4 side lights

Back
Top Bottom