Magnus8's Canna Cream, Body Butter & Canna Lotion Study Hall

Hi All,

Sorry but I got to the thread late today. Not my usual way of working, but so is life.

Okay, to clear up some misconceptions.

Soaps do not need neither preservatives nor emulsifiers.
Creams and Butters do not need neither preservatives nor emulsifiers (obviously)
Lotions, which are made with water, need preservatives.

Only emulsifications made with water need a preservative.

Formulations made without water do not need a preservative.

Soaps never need emulsifiers nor do they need preservatives.

Lotions always need preservatives because they are made with water.

Creams and Butters never need a preservative because they are made exclusively with oils and not water.

I hope that clears up some confusion for you all. I know it is terribly confusing when you first learn it. Jingo wins the purple balloon today (at least I think it was Jingo who said that Creams and Butters didn't have water so they didn't need preservatives).

So I hope everyone is okay. I've been well. I finally got my hands on another computer thanks to a kind friend here on 420mag who sent me a small computer to use that is in perfect working order but that he's not using, primarily so that I can get my work done on the book. I still cannot believe how nice people here are. How giving, how kind. I was going to mention his name but I"m not sure if he'd want me to do that, so I won't. But he's a friend from that I met through a friend on this thread (I know, sounds strange though, right?). Anyway, suffice it to say that he and his other friend have been invaluable to me these past few weeks. Anyway, I just cannot believe how kind and giving everyone here is. Am I the only one having these experiences, where someone on this site is so kind, so giving that its kind of shocking? Well, whatever. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I suppose.

So anyway, I got my hands on a computer for a while until he wants it back at least. But until then I should be able to be a bit more of a presence on here. So, welcome back, Magnus. Welcome back.

Yeah - I typed soaps when I meant lotions - muddied the waters, sorry.

I have been the recipient of 420 gifts a few times and payed a few gifts forward. If they would just remove the stupid laws, I'd do more. It's part of the 420 magazine spirit.

I am sooooooo glad you have access to a compuer for your book and for our benefit on this thread.

Welcome back, Magnus :welcome:

Yeah - I typed soaps when I meant lotions - muddied the waters, sorry.

I have been the recipient of 420 gifts a few times and payed a few gifts forward. If they would just remove the stupid laws, I'd do more. It's part of the 420 magazine spirit.

I am sooooooo glad you have access to a compuer for your book and for our benefit on this thread.

Welcome back, Magnus :welcome:

.......... It's part of the 420 magazine spirit

Ditto! :cheer:

Magnus,
Don't grrrrr at me dude! :laugh:

My apologies on the sore back muscles comment, it was directed in regards to myself. Referring to sore muscles or pulled muscles that can be resolved over time and using home remedies. Shoveling snow...lifting...etc. types of injuries.
I did not mean to direct that to anyone suffering major back issues or injuries. :)

I am better by the day!

Good to see you back and glad you have access to the online world again on a regular basis. We look forward to the Guru's teachings.

:circle-of-love:

Welcome back, Magnus!

I missed your messages here. I'm glad you are making good use of the computer that someone here on 420 gave/lent you. I'll look forward to hearing from you more often now.

How is the book going, by the way?

Hi All,

Sorry but I got to the thread late today. Not my usual way of working, but so is life.

So I hope everyone is okay. I've been well. I finally got my hands on another computer thanks to a kind friend here on 420mag who sent me a small computer to use that is in perfect working order but that he's not using, primarily so that I can get my work done on the book. I still cannot believe how nice people here are. How giving, how kind. I was going to mention his name but I"m not sure if he'd want me to do that, so I won't. But he's a friend from that I met through a friend on this thread (I know, sounds strange though, right?). Anyway, suffice it to say that he and his other friend have been invaluable to me these past few weeks. Anyway, I just cannot believe how kind and giving everyone here is. Am I the only one having these experiences, where someone on this site is so kind, so giving that its kind of shocking? Well, whatever. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I suppose.

So anyway, I got my hands on a computer for a while until he wants it back at least. But until then I should be able to be a bit more of a presence on here. So, welcome back, Magnus. Welcome back.

Hi Hizzy,

Glad you found us. I"m sorry, but I've been without a computer until the other day and I've been lax in helping the group along. Have you been reading the first few pages? I would say that up unil page 11 is invaluable as we were clarifying positions and meanings and doing some groundwork. If you had time, it would be helpful to you if you could read these pages. A lot of it is just saying HI to everyone so its quick reading, but as I said, it is helpful.

Again, glad to have you on board, Hizzy. I see you're already aquainted with Cannafan. I'm Magnus and this is our Canna Cream/Butter and Lotion thread. Welcome to it!

Will do thanks a lot!!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Well, thanks so much for such a resounding note of welcoming back! I truly appreciate it! And Cannafan, that wasn't a real growl, it was more of a playful kind of growl. I'm sure you did, but if you didn't, I hope you realize that now. I would never mean to be rude to you, or anyone here, in any way. I hope that is obvious by now. I'm high. What do I know? But my back isn't killing me, that's for sure.

It's a beautiful day here out in mid-eastern Central Alberta. I was just re-reading the CBC article on Justin's announcement that pot would be legal to use recreationally in Canaca by 1 July 2018. An enjoying little read, for various reasons. Not the first of which was the authors incapacity to write a sentence, paragraph or article. My gawd! it was awful! Then I read that it had been edited a second time to include some info or take some info out or some such thing and I thought, after experiencing the editing process myself these past couple of months, I thought wow-I can see how that could terribly ruin a piece, to be edited twice by different editors. I can only imagine the havoc two different editors who don't see eye to eye could really damage a piece, even just something as small as an online magazine article.

Things on the book are going well. I've recently begun work on Chapter V of Finding Max. For those of you who don't know, I am an as yet unpublished author who had a book taken up by a publishing company this past fall that I had written in the summer. Don't mind my english today. See above for reasons why. Anyway, after that interruption... Anyway, I had this novel that I had written this summer called Finding Max and it was picked up this fall by a publishing company in California who wants to publish it. So we're working on the editing part, me and my editor from the company. And we're now on Chapter V of it. For those who don't know, there's also two sequels planned for Finding Max, Loving Max and Killing Max (these are potential names, not names set in stone). Oh, and release date is set for 14 Nov 2017, so lookout -- it hits the stands on that date! It'll probably be easier to get an online copy for your eReader or computer, though. I don't think there's going to be a ton of print copies available unless you live in big urban areas. But we live in 2017 - by the end of the year pot will be legal for people to smoke in our country, we sent a man up to the moon almost 50 years ago - don't we allow ourselves the luxury of reading from our eReader or our computer? Okay, so that was a push, and it didn't quite make it... Regardless, it's a good book and worth reading. That's all I can say. Wait, no it isn't.

Finding Max begins around a 5 year old boy, Max, who is abducted while playing in a park with his older brother, Gary. Fast forward 17 years and Max and Gary are reunited through a strange series of circumstances. And while Max and Gary and Gary's new girlfriend, Jean, must evade the maniacal Quinn's evil retribution directed towards Max, they must all also learn to love each other and, more maybe more importantly, learn to find each other.

So that's what else I have to say about the book. If anyone has any questions, feel free to pm them to me, or I suppose you could ask them here, too, but I try to keep this thread kinda chatter free. Yeah, right. Like what am I doing right now, eh? Chattering. I know. Actually, maybe we should continue to keep this chatter free unless you have other reasons for posting on the thread to do with the work of the thread. I guess that was good enough english, right?

Aww, hell. Do what you want! Who am i to police the thread? I have no interest in doing that. None at all. I just want us all to have good discussions and tangible work product to say for our work on the thread, something we can go to others with and say, hey! We did this, and it works, come try it! Kinda sounds like getting your friend to try pot, doesn't it. Hey, we did this and it works, come try it! Yep, sounds a lot like my first time trying pot. I was the guy coming to try it and my friend was the guy who was convincing me. Actually, he wasn't a friend. Pretty much an acquaintance, pretty much a stranger to me who was convincing me to try it. Didn't take much convincing, actually. I was ripe.

Okay, I'm just blathering. Rather than erase my whole post, I'm going to post it. If it's really too bad i hope someone will pm me and suggest I delete it.

Anyway, I hope all are well! Sorry for those I offended in my earlier posts. I think it was only Cannafan, but I could be wrong... Actually, I'm sure I didn't really offend Cannafan...

As the teens say, "True that"

I always thought that song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was gender and age limitting :)

Thank you both. You are both very kind. Or as my editor would say to that para, "You have 'you both' twice in the same paragraph, so find another way to say it one time." And me? I would just move on to the next comment... leaving this one for later.

I have to purchase a new scale.

Can someone please suggest a good scale for me?

It needs to measure in both metric and standard. Needs to be sensitive enough to measure out 1 g, preferable 1/2 gram, but I don't know if they make them like that.

I'm wanting to measure out concentrated cannabis oil (cco) in capsules and need to measure out 1/2 g and 1 g measurements. I'm not sure about the 1/2 g capsules, but I think I have to measure those, rather than it just being "the size of 3 grains of rice" or some such thing. I'm going to try this on my back, but I don't have enough to make a topical lotion, unfortunately. And I decarbed my weed before I made the oil. Everyone says you can, though it seems that no one does it on these videos. I bet more people do it than don't! Hell, why not have a good time while you're fixing your back, right? My thoughts exactly! So I decarbed my weed and made my oil last night. Not exactly cco, more rso. Didn't add the liquid lecithin because I don't have any. Didn't get a chance to pick any up this week in Vegreville. Car still at the mechanic. Mechanic came over to give me a ride to his place to pick up my car (he's a friend) but I was in no shape to drive so I said NO to the ride and said I'd rather get it tonight. NO, not because I was high, though it kind of felt like it. I think my blood pressure meds need adjusting. I'll see the doctor about that soon.

Boy, the end of making that rso is really quick. The last of the alcohol boils off really rapidly and then suddenly it begins to smoke and its suddenly ready. Like, suddenly. And you gotta get it off of there quick because you don't wan't all the good stuff to smoke away.

Anyway, I'm gonna run. If you've got any ideas about scales please let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: And I've got to be either able to get it from WalMart or easily via internet ordering.

Almost every head shop (online or not) carries scales. They usually measure in 0.1g or 0.01g increments. 0-500g and 0-1000g are typical ranges.They almost all allow you to select from several different measuring systems. They all alow you to set Tare for the weight of your container. My $20 scale and my $4 scale in a CD case both weigh a nickel as the same weight.

I bought my scale online from herbscales.com. Here is the one I bought:

Micro 2.0

The only thing I don't like about it is the weighing surface because it's curved and not flat so when I want to put a small dish on it filled with pot, I need to choose one that is light enough that a flat surface isn't necessary. Other than that, it's a great little scale.

It needs to measure in both metric and standard. Needs to be sensitive enough to measure out 1 g, preferable 1/2 gram, but I don't know if they make them like that.

I'm wanting to measure out concentrated cannabis oil (cco) in capsules and need to measure out 1/2 g and 1 g measurements. I'm not sure about the 1/2 g capsules, but I think I have to measure those, rather than it just being "the size of 3 grains of rice" or some such thing. I'm going to try this on my back, but I don't have enough to make a topical lotion, unfortunately. And I decarbed my weed before I made the oil. Everyone says you can, though it seems that no one does it on these videos. I bet more people do it than don't! Hell, why not have a good time while you're fixing your back, right? My thoughts exactly! So I decarbed my weed and made my oil last night. Not exactly cco, more rso. Didn't add the liquid lecithin because I don't have any. Didn't get a chance to pick any up this week in Vegreville. Car still at the mechanic. Mechanic came over to give me a ride to his place to pick up my car (he's a friend) but I was in no shape to drive so I said NO to the ride and said I'd rather get it tonight. NO, not because I was high, though it kind of felt like it. I think my blood pressure meds need adjusting. I'll see the doctor about that soon.

Boy, the end of making that rso is really quick. The last of the alcohol boils off really rapidly and then suddenly it begins to smoke and its suddenly ready. Like, suddenly. And you gotta get it off of there quick because you don't wan't all the good stuff to smoke away.

Anyway, I'm gonna run. If you've got any ideas about scales please let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: And I've got to be either able to get it from WalMart or easily via internet ordering.

I got mine from wally world. Little black one goes to .05g small and can't handle big containers but can hold a Mason jar. In the kitchen area. Quite accurate.

I got mine from wally world. Little black one goes to .05g small and can't handle big containers but can hold a Mason jar. In the kitchen area. Quite accurate.

I'll be at Wally World tomorrow. I'll check it out. Thanks New B. :battingeyelashes:

Almost every head shop (online or not) carries scales. They usually measure in 0.1g or 0.01g increments. 0-500g and 0-1000g are typical ranges.They almost all allow you to select from several different measuring systems. They all alow you to set Tare for the weight of your container. My $20 scale and my $4 scale in a CD case both weigh a nickel as the same weight.

Thanks, Radogast. I was thinking I would have to go to WalMart or some such place for it. I didn't even think of a head shop. Of course, they should have been my first choice... And I just noticed that you got Grow Journal of the month! Congratulations! Isn't April the month coming? Do they award you in the month coming, not the month you did the Journal in? That's a bit weird. Mind you, it's 4:30 in the morning so maybe that's why I think it's a bit weird because my mind is a bit fried from waking up so early in the morning... But congratulations, Radogast. Congratulations on winning for the month.

Okay, I'm closing in my first body butter, still have a few more things to pick up.

The peppermint oil will probably be mostly for the lotion all make with my wife down the road a bit. The pine oil has some really good medicinal qualities all to itself and I think I'm going to use I don't know 5 to 10% of that in my mixture. The rest of the essential oils I think I'll use it a much lower rate like 1 or 2%, but I don't really know.
c50253f9ec24ac221f7cae05f6de85a4.jpg

Thanks, Radogast. I was thinking I would have to go to WalMart or some such place for it. I didn't even think of a head shop. Of course, they should have been my first choice... And I just noticed that you got Grow Journal of the month! Congratulations! Isn't April the month coming? Do they award you in the month coming, not the month you did the Journal in? That's a bit weird. Mind you, it's 4:30 in the morning so maybe that's why I think it's a bit weird because my mind is a bit fried from waking up so early in the morning... But congratulations, Radogast. Congratulations on winning for the month.

Thanks for the congrats.

Every month, since about 6 months ago, they pick a Grow Journal and call it journal of the month. Apparently they allow some swearing and stupidity, so I don't think there is anything I have to do this month or had to do last month to be selected. What happens is that I have a good mix of newbies and HiBrix growers and organic growers and curious growers who come by to talk about growing weed for a dozen pages a month. Makes me happy to keep posting :)

I am a tad suspicious about being the April Fool Grow Journal - but I got even, I lied about my T-shirt size :rofl:

Okay, I'm closing in my first body butter, still have a few more things to pick up.

The peppermint oil will probably be mostly for the lotion all make with my wife down the road a bit. The pine oil has some really good medicinal qualities all to itself and I think I'm going to use I don't know 5 to 10% of that in my mixture. The rest of the essential oils I think I'll use it a much lower rate like 1 or 2%, but I don't really know.

Congratulations for getting stuff put together. We finished painting the dining room and a pantry cupboard for the kitchen, so we are doing another round of unpacking this month. I believe the essential oils will make it back into the oil cabinet soon. I plan to order shea butter, use some existing esential oils, maybe do a heat infused oil from some herbs, but really haven't decided on bee's wax or other major ingredients. I hate to touch most creams and oils. I feel the need to wash my hands after applying cold creams, touching olive oil and coconut oil, and even baby powder and honey. Over 10% polyester in a shirt makes my skin crawl, so I need to pay attention to the texture if I plan to use a body butter several times a month. I'm still not clear on the best choice for me. .

Anyway, I'm happy for you that you are on your way !

Amazon has 100s of them, from $15 & up.

Hey Jingo,

Looks like you've got a basic, great collection of goodies for your first body butter! Love the collection of essential oils you chose. I believe that you shouldn't be going for scent with these things. You need to go for what works the best. With that said, the tea tree oil and peppermint oil will be very strong scent wise, but will be very effective for pain. I'm not sure if the other essential oils are for scent or effect, but it will be hard to get a "nice" scent out of this mix of four oils, but if you're going for effect then you're on the right track! Congratulations! I hope you let us know when you're going to make it so we can all send "healing vibes" for your body butter as you make it! Or should I say, "cooking vibes" out your way.

I"m not sure where the Swiss Miss figures into your mix. I saw it in your photo of collection of stuff you had picked up for your body butter. Well, if you decided on using Swiss Miss in your mix you must know what you are doing inside that brain of yours. Good luck to you on it, especially with the Swiss Miss!

Hey All,

Thanks for the suggestions of where and what kind of scale to get. The one I have was used for measuring larger collections of ingredients so I didn't need it to be as accurate nor to go down to as many increments as I now need. Thanks again all for your suggestions!

By the way -- what the hell is a Wally World? I'm assuming its a kind of store, but I've honestly never heard of it. Even after having lived in NYC for 11 years, so it cannot just be an American thang (though it might be). It is like a WalMart? Sounds like it could be. We have Canadian Tire, but I doubt its like a Wally World. Wally's World sounds like a child's playground to me.

Just came out from working with my 4 lovely babies that I have growing in the back bedroom. Just a question, and I have no idea how to answer this and I know it depends on many, many factors... but... approximately just how many ounces can one get from a normal grow of 4 plants? I know my plants have been stunted and had ill-health so far, but they're doing fine now and catching up to their brethren. So, just in everyone's experience, just how many ounces did you get from your last grow of 4 plants? Approximately? I'm just trying to figure out how many ounces I can expect to get from 4 plants approximately. I"m going to start off another 4 seeds once these have been in flowering for 3 or 4 weeks. I'm just wondering if this current grow will last me through to my next harvest.

And I"m just curious. What's wrong with that?

I know this isn't really the correct forum for asking this question, but I am not really sure where else to ask it...

So if you don't mind giving up your experience, strength and hope with me, I'd appreciate it.

(To "share your experience, strength and hope" is a phrase used in AA used to encourage others to share their stories with others. I learned that catchphrase when I did my time in AA, many years ago when I was quitting drinking at age 25.)

Back
Top Bottom