Malawi Gold Revisited: Queen Sativa

Day 87/77 Feb 15

The garden is doing well although #2 is not slowing down at 45.75". Today, I recorded her biggest one day growth at 1.75". If she doesn't slow down she'll run out of room. Oh well, I guess it could be worse. I don't want to cut the top, so I might be able to bent or lean her when she reaches the room's limit. We'll see. She is looking great with flowers everywhere. I'm eager to see what this light will do when they start fattening up. #9 is 10 days younger and almost the exact height #2 was 10 days ago. #5 is stepping it up finally, but still in last place regarding flowering. #10 is also stepping it up and with good flower production. She's no longer the shortest plant so I moved her from the center to the outside. #8 is now the shortest at 18.75" and claims center spot. I've been measuring, counting nodes and recording my observations, etc. to build up a data base for possible breeding in the future. It may help in identifying desirable characteristics after sampling the cured bud. I intend to grow Queen Sativa again but, I have a number of sativas to grow before that time. I'm thinking Kali Mist next.

Here's the garden today. From the left #10, 2, 9, 5 and 8.
IMG_1313.JPG

I tried to upload another picture of #2 but it comes out 90 degrees to one side or the other. I can't seem to correct it and I don't have time right now to try and fix it so I'll try again maybe tomorrow.

:thumb: Day 87/77 Feb 15

The garden is doing well although #2 is not slowing down at 45.75". Today, I recorded her biggest one day growth at 1.75". If she doesn't slow down she'll run out of room. Oh well, I guess it could be worse. I don't want to cut the top, so I might be able to bent or lean her when she reaches the room's limit. We'll see. She is looking great with flowers everywhere. I'm eager to see what this light will do when they start fattening up. #9 is 10 days younger and almost the exact height #2 was 10 days ago. #5 is stepping it up finally, but still in last place regarding flowering. #10 is also stepping it up and with good flower production. She's no longer the shortest plant so I moved her from the center to the outside. #8 is now the shortest at 18.75" and claims center spot. I've been measuring, counting nodes and recording my observations, etc. to build up a data base for possible breeding in the future. It may help in identifying desirable characteristics after sampling the cured bud. I intend to grow Queen Sativa again but, I have a number of sativas to grow before that time. I'm thinking Kali Mist next.

Here's the garden today. From the left #10, 2, 9, 5 and 8.
IMG_1313.JPG

I tried to upload another picture of #2 but it comes out 90 degrees to one side or the other. I can't seem to correct it and I don't have time right now to try and fix it so I'll try again maybe tomorrow.
That pic says enough. :thumb:

Day 88/78 Feb 16

These pics were taken today. Starting with #8, the least developed and shortest at 19". She has calyxes on the main stem nodes and nowhere else, yet.
IMG_1329.JPG

Next, is #5 who has calyxes at main stem nodes as well as branch nodes. She is slightly ahead in flowering and is starting to spread out and up, finally.
IMG_1325.JPG

Next, is #10 who is starting to make buds
IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

Next is #9, she's growing lots of buds and should look like #2 in 10 days.
IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

And last is #2. She's going full speed ahead, 47" tall.
IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

Expecting a lot of buds from this grow but being sativa their airy. How much they swell is unknown to me. The light should bring out the best so I'll just wait and see how it goes.

Day 88/78 Feb 16

These pics were taken today. Starting with #8, the least developed and shortest at 19". She has calyxes on the main stem nodes and nowhere else, yet.
IMG_1329.JPG

Next, is #5 who has calyxes at main stem nodes as well as branch nodes. She is slightly ahead in flowering and is starting to spread out and up, finally.
IMG_1325.JPG

Next, is #10 who is starting to make buds
IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

Next is #9, she's growing lots of buds and should look like #2 in 10 days.
IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

And last is #2. She's going full speed ahead, 47" tall.
IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

Expecting a lot of buds from this grow but being sativa their airy. How much they swell is unknown to me. The light should bring out the best so I'll just wait and see how it goes.
This is going to be a labor of love. They Look terrific . :cheer:

Day 99/89 Feb 27

Yesterday, I was finally able to take some measurements and pictures. I was busy with other things and only able to water and raise the light following my last post. The light is raised to its highest position and #2 is a little too close so I have her closer to the corner of the room. I think I'll be able to divert her cola to the side of the light. I'm thinking of making a hook attached to the wall where she will be redirected. The others are all elevated so as they near the lights I can remove boxes or milk crates. If they pose the same problem then I'll redirect them as well. The aroma in the room is very strong, sweet, fruity with a spicy overtone. I really like it. I'm now watering all plants from the bottom and allowing the surface to dry. Pretty much from day 1 in the grow room I saw a single gnat fly. I never saw more than one and I haven't seen him/her in the last week. He must have been in the soil because this area of the house never had soil or anything else where gnats would live. While I was watering the soil surface an environment where the gnat could lay eggs and larva could live was present. Now that should be too dry and I shouldn't see anymore gnats. The temps are where I want them to be; down to 16/17C at night and up to 24-27C during the day. Humidity seems to be pretty good as well; from the high 40's and mid 50's during the day and rising to sometimes mid 60's at night. The higher readings being at soil level. I haven't misted the plants for weeks and don't plan to in the future; no need.

Here's the lineup. From left going right: #10, 2, 8, 5 & 9. #2 is the most advanced(flowering) followed by 9, 8, 10 and lastly 5. #2 is 58.25" tall and #8 in the center is the shortest at 25.25".
IMG_1342.JPG

Here's #2 with her light, airy, almost wispy flowers. What the flowers lack in size is made up by the shear number; they're everywhere. I expect I'll get a reasonable harvest. If the quality is what I expect then a lower quantity is okay in my books. Time will tell. The trichome production has been ramped up as I can clearly see trichomes on the upper most leaves now. The stimata are all white; I'm not seeing any browning as she searches for pollen.
IMG_1343.JPG

Here's #5. She's now the 2nd tallest, taking that position away from 9. She had the greatest growth rate over the last 10 days at 15.5" as compared to 11.25" for #2. #5 is now 42.25" tall and has the greatest trunk/main stem diameter at soil level of nearly 5/8". She has been holding back her growth up to this point. She has not formed any buds yet. The only calyxes are at the nodes along both the main stem and branches. She seems to be building bulk getting ready to explode upward. Her skeleton is telling me she's ready to surpass #2 and check out the ceiling. I'll be watching what she's going to do for flowering. I'm expecting to be surprised. Unlike the others she has some red streaks along her trunk. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. She's one to watch.
IMG_1344.JPG

Here's #8 the girl in the middle at just 25.25" tall; the shortest. Being the shortest doesn't mean she's the least developed when it comes to flowering though. She's right on schedule following behind #10 who is following behind 9 who is following behind 2. I'm expecting #8 to turn out looking like #2 eventually. It's not evident from these pics but she is forming buds all over and as she stretches will take on the appearance of #2.
IMG_1345.JPG

Here's #9 at 41.75" tall. She grew 9.75" in the last 10 days losing 2nd place to #5. In 10 days she should look just like #2 does now.
IMG_1346.JPG

Here's #10 at 29.25" tall. She's following behind #9 almost exactly. Lots of flower production as she readies herself to stretch and take on #2's appearance.
IMG_1347.JPG

Here they are set up under the lights. I put the shortest #8 directly in the center and then surround her with the other four so as to try and get maximum light to all. The plants are separated just enough so they're not touching one another but still under the lights. #2 is a little closer to the corner because her cola would otherwise be too close to the lights. As they grow the boxes/crates will be removed and the colas should be able to grow outside the light by bringing the corners outward. At least that is the plan. I'm going to try and do what I can so I don't cut off the top.
IMG_1350.JPG

So, I'm liking this grow so far. These five plants are showing me different stages of growth. Four out of five are pretty much the same with a difference in timing; some earlier than others but following the same path. #5 is different. While #2, her sister of the same age grew and grew and flowered she (5) loitered about. It's at this point that she looks prepared to shine. It looks like harvest will be staggered. I can't imagine they'll be peaking at the same time so I'm expecting varying harvests. I'm thinking of harvesting a branch at a time as trichomes reach their peak. If that is the route I take then how does the plant respond? Does she regrow those areas? Does she regrow those areas with vegetation and/or flowers? Is there such a thing as a perennial sativa? I expect I may explore that with this grow. I have researched the possibility of a perennial cannabis plant. I had these thoughts/questions during my 2017 grow. It seems others have also had these thoughts. Breeders have tried but have not succeeded. Some breeders have tried to cross cannabis with hops to try and get a perennial cannabis plant. I grow hops and knew they are the same family but I wouldn't have thought of trying to cross them. Apparently, it didn't work. This perennial question still occupies my mind.

I'll try and take some close up pictures tomorrow.

Those are looking great. Good job. Malawi is a wonderful smoke. Where did you get the seed from originally? It looks closer to the real thing than the ACE Malawi that I have grown has looked.

Those are looking great. Good job. Malawi is a wonderful smoke. Where did you get the seed from originally? It looks closer to the real thing than the ACE Malawi that I have grown has looked.
Thanks man. I really like the Malawi high. It's my favorite so far. I don't remember where I got the seeds from. I had bought a few varieties from different places and I lost the info on where they came from. My 2017 grow journal documented my first sativa growing experience. This Queen Sativa is a result of that first grow. Out of 14 plants one was sativa dominant and these girls are the result of my attempt to isolate and lock in the sativa characteristics. It appears to have worked as these girls are definitely sativa dominant with the correct aroma and presumably correct terpenes. The one you grew may look like the Septuplets from my 2017 grow. They were indica dominant and presumably what the breeders were after. Bigger bud, shorter flowering period and easier to grow.

That’s odd that you can’t remember where they’re from. Doesn’t it say in the package? I’ll check your journal. I have sprouted a few Ace Malawis and they were similar to each other. Small dense buds and finished flowering in about 12-13 weeks. Still a very nice high.

Yours look like they might fill out/fluff up nicely, given enough time
:)

That’s odd that you can’t remember where they’re from. Doesn’t it say in the package? I’ll check your journal. I have sprouted a few Ace Malawis and they were similar to each other. Small dense buds and finished flowering in about 12-13 weeks. Still a very nice high.

Yours look like they might fill out/fluff up nicely, given enough time
:)
So, when I get seeds I remove them from the sellers packaging and repack them for the freezer. I identify and date the seeds and usually identify where I get them from. Unfortunately, I didn't identify where I got the Malawi Gold seeds from which is unlike me. There's a better than good chance they were ACE Seeds because there wasn't many outlets selling them as I searched. I found out about Out Of Africa afterwards but they didn't seem to ever have them in stock. The seeds were frozen for a couple of years before I took them out to grow. A couple of months ago I purchased 10 regular Malawi Gold seeds from MJSeeds which are supposed to be 100% sativa. I'll believe it when I see it. The most recent purchase attracted me because it's supposed to be the other pheno with wood/earthy terpenes. From researching Malawi Gold it's reported that there are 2 distinct phenotypes; the sweet, fruity and spicy one and the woody/earthy one.
Yea, I'm expecting the buds to get bigger but only time will tell. This is the first grow under these lights and I'm expecting good results. But sativa being sativa the buds won't/shouldn't be like indica buds.

Well thanks for trying. I will take an ounce of good sativa fluff over a pound of Indica about any day.

You’re right there aren’t many people selling Malawi, and especially not many selling anything that looks real.

There is a member here from Malawi named @tangwena , if he’s still around. Seems like a good dude and knows about the real deal.

I seem to have gotten jaded over the years after seeing so many so-called Thai or Malawi sativa journals that are flat out indica genetics. I’ve seen your journal lots of times and didn’t peek in for this very reason- I assumed I’d be looking at indica stuff. So I’m glad I finally did- it’s a pleasant surprise.

Maybe I’ll throw more of my Malawi seeds into sprout and see if I get anything new

Well thanks for trying. I will take an ounce of good sativa fluff over a pound of Indica about any day.

You’re right there aren’t many people selling Malawi, and especially not many selling anything that looks real.

There is a member here from Malawi named @tangwena , if he’s still around. Seems like a good dude and knows about the real deal.

I seem to have gotten jaded over the years after seeing so many so-called Thai or Malawi sativa journals that are flat out indica genetics. I’ve seen your journal lots of times and didn’t peek in for this very reason- I assumed I’d be looking at indica stuff. So I’m glad I finally did- it’s a pleasant surprise.

Maybe I’ll throw more of my Malawi seeds into sprout and see if I get anything new
There's a member Lerugged who's from Durban I believe. He's got an interesting story regarding sativas. He says his grandfather collected African staiva seeds back in the 50's and left them to him. They're 100% sativa and untainted. He says European breeders started messing with genetics and that today there are no longer any untainted sativas in Africa. This could be the case but I think there could be some pockets where traditional growers still have untainted strains. Traditional growers don't usually buy seeds. They collect them selectively. That's what farmers around the world have done for generations. So, I think the real deal is out there but finding them is the hard part. I've read tourism is big in Malawi because people go there in search of the real deal.

I wouldn’t be surprised. Malawi is definitely a big tourist destination and it’s not very large. No idea if people get out into all the nooks or if they just cruise the lake like I’ve mostly heard them talk about. As we know people will sell any old shit to the tourists and that pretty much describes what we are getting from a lot of seed banks as well
I lived in Thailand for several years back in the late 80s and early 90s. At that time I am sure that most of the weed there was not altered or crossed with indica at all. That has probably changed since I was there last, but it’s still quite a big country and there are parts of it the westerners rarely ever make it to.
Having said that most of the weed in Thailand is/was not very strong or anything particularly special. A nice high usually, and it’s still my favourite weed, but most was quite weak and unremarkable.

Finding the ‘real deal’ is not what most people probably actually want, even when they think they do. But once in a while we would come across some Thai that really was amazing. Very vibrant and trippy and much stronger than average. And I wish I had thought to keep some seeds:eek: The best stuff I smoked was in quite a small out of the way town in the south. I occasionally dream about going back there and spending a month or two hanging around seeing if the people I knew are still there and if I can find that bud again

Plants look cool. Genetics rarely change because of physical stress in one generation. Environmental factors play a part in changing a gene over generations.

The epigenome, which is a bunch of chemical controls like histones (little molecular springs) that determine which genes are turned on or off in a species can change within an individual but the traits expressed need to already exist within an individual.

Genome = genes: hard-coded 'plans' to build a living thing in a nearly infinite number of ways
Epigenome = Recipe which determines what parts of which plans actually are allowed to appear as an expressed trait.

All the expressed traits combine to form your phenotype.

Plants look cool. Genetics rarely change because of physical stress in one generation. Environmental factors play a part in changing a gene over generations.

The epigenome, which is a bunch of chemical controls like histones (little molecular springs) that determine which genes are turned on or off in a species can change within an individual but the traits expressed need to already exist within an individual.

Genome = genes: hard-coded 'plans' to build a living thing in a nearly infinite number of ways
Epigenome = Recipe which determines what parts of which plans actually are allowed to appear as an expressed trait.

All the expressed traits combine to form your phenotype.
Thanks copperrein. You may be right about genetics. I don't know. I recall a study that had been conducted on trees. I don't recall the specifics as to where or on what type of tree but what the study was relating to was the genetics. The scientists took samples at the base of the tree of old growth and samples at the top of the trees on new growth. They did sequencing and found the genes had been altered in the life of the tree. That would be in one generation.

Years ago I was given a clone to grow. She became the mother to many clones. She was replaced by one of her clones and her replacement was replaced and so on. This grow went on for five or more years. There was never any pollination or seeds so it was all one generation. The place I grew these plants was a small area; probably 4' x 4' x 4'. I had two spaces; one for vegging and another for flowering. Because of the limited space I had to prune the plants to keep them short enough and attain a round bush appearance. What was interesting is that after a few years I no longer had to prune the plants to keep them short enough. They grew to their surroundings. It's anecdotal and may not mean much but I took it to mean the plants preferred not to be pinched all the time. Cutting a plant opens up a wound that the plant has to deal with so it makes sense to me if the plant tries to prevent the pinching by altering its growth. I think sequencing bonsai plants at the beginning, middle and at the end of the plants growth may show changes in its genetics. Maybe that study has already been done.

It's only my own personal opinion and it probably amounts to nothing but I believe genetics are continually changing in seemingly very minor ways. Environmental impacts can be quite severe and I would expect reactions genetically speaking. If a living thing encounters stress it will try and overcome it, to live through it. It just makes sense to me that those stressors could/would trigger changes to the genetics. After all, the living thing that can adjust to a changing environment has the best chance to survive. The longer it takes to adjust the greater the possibility it won't survive. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks copperrein. You may be right about genetics. I don't know. I recall a study that had been conducted on trees. I don't recall the specifics as to where or on what type of tree but what the study was relating to was the genetics. The scientists took samples at the base of the tree of old growth and samples at the top of the trees on new growth. They did sequencing and found the genes had been altered in the life of the tree. That would be in one generation.

Years ago I was given a clone to grow. She became the mother to many clones. She was replaced by one of her clones and her replacement was replaced and so on. This grow went on for five or more years. There was never any pollination or seeds so it was all one generation. The place I grew these plants was a small area; probably 4' x 4' x 4'. I had two spaces; one for vegging and another for flowering. Because of the limited space I had to prune the plants to keep them short enough and attain a round bush appearance. What was interesting is that after a few years I no longer had to prune the plants to keep them short enough. They grew to their surroundings. It's anecdotal and may not mean much but I took it to mean the plants preferred not to be pinched all the time. Cutting a plant opens up a wound that the plant has to deal with so it makes sense to me if the plant tries to prevent the pinching by altering its growth. I think sequencing bonsai plants at the beginning, middle and at the end of the plants growth may show changes in its genetics. Maybe that study has already been done.

It's only my own personal opinion and it probably amounts to nothing but I believe genetics are continually changing in seemingly very minor ways. Environmental impacts can be quite severe and I would expect reactions genetically speaking. If a living thing encounters stress it will try and overcome it, to live through it. It just makes sense to me that those stressors could/would trigger changes to the genetics. After all, the living thing that can adjust to a changing environment has the best chance to survive. The longer it takes to adjust the greater the possibility it won't survive. Just my 2 cents.
Normally I'd argue 'but vascularity and yield' but at the same time I stalk a few people on social media that go to places like India and Vietnam in search of beautiful, yet commercially unviable strains. Hell, some of the big breeders have these spindly addled-looking plants that if you stop looking at them as the next crop are pretty spectacular.

Serious question for the community:

Does the cannabis world have a set of rules, a pedigree of sorts, to determine the specifics of hybridization? Like...I know my labs aren't purebred but if I WAS unsure...I can send off a sample to a lab and confirm genetics.

Does the weed world have that?

Here are a couple of links to the study on the trees I mentioned.

Scientists Find Mutation Causes Genetic Diversity in Old-growth Trees

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/evl3.121

Day 99/89 Feb 27

Yesterday, I was finally able to take some measurements and pictures. I was busy with other things and only able to water and raise the light following my last post. The light is raised to its highest position and #2 is a little too close so I have her closer to the corner of the room. I think I'll be able to divert her cola to the side of the light. I'm thinking of making a hook attached to the wall where she will be redirected. The others are all elevated so as they near the lights I can remove boxes or milk crates. If they pose the same problem then I'll redirect them as well. The aroma in the room is very strong, sweet, fruity with a spicy overtone. I really like it. I'm now watering all plants from the bottom and allowing the surface to dry. Pretty much from day 1 in the grow room I saw a single gnat fly. I never saw more than one and I haven't seen him/her in the last week. He must have been in the soil because this area of the house never had soil or anything else where gnats would live. While I was watering the soil surface an environment where the gnat could lay eggs and larva could live was present. Now that should be too dry and I shouldn't see anymore gnats. The temps are where I want them to be; down to 16/17C at night and up to 24-27C during the day. Humidity seems to be pretty good as well; from the high 40's and mid 50's during the day and rising to sometimes mid 60's at night. The higher readings being at soil level. I haven't misted the plants for weeks and don't plan to in the future; no need.

Here's the lineup. From left going right: #10, 2, 8, 5 & 9. #2 is the most advanced(flowering) followed by 9, 8, 10 and lastly 5. #2 is 58.25" tall and #8 in the center is the shortest at 25.25".
IMG_1342.JPG

Here's #2 with her light, airy, almost wispy flowers. What the flowers lack in size is made up by the shear number; they're everywhere. I expect I'll get a reasonable harvest. If the quality is what I expect then a lower quantity is okay in my books. Time will tell. The trichome production has been ramped up as I can clearly see trichomes on the upper most leaves now. The stimata are all white; I'm not seeing any browning as she searches for pollen.
IMG_1343.JPG

Here's #5. She's now the 2nd tallest, taking that position away from 9. She had the greatest growth rate over the last 10 days at 15.5" as compared to 11.25" for #2. #5 is now 42.25" tall and has the greatest trunk/main stem diameter at soil level of nearly 5/8". She has been holding back her growth up to this point. She has not formed any buds yet. The only calyxes are at the nodes along both the main stem and branches. She seems to be building bulk getting ready to explode upward. Her skeleton is telling me she's ready to surpass #2 and check out the ceiling. I'll be watching what she's going to do for flowering. I'm expecting to be surprised. Unlike the others she has some red streaks along her trunk. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. She's one to watch.
IMG_1344.JPG

Here's #8 the girl in the middle at just 25.25" tall; the shortest. Being the shortest doesn't mean she's the least developed when it comes to flowering though. She's right on schedule following behind #10 who is following behind 9 who is following behind 2. I'm expecting #8 to turn out looking like #2 eventually. It's not evident from these pics but she is forming buds all over and as she stretches will take on the appearance of #2.
IMG_1345.JPG

Here's #9 at 41.75" tall. She grew 9.75" in the last 10 days losing 2nd place to #5. In 10 days she should look just like #2 does now.
IMG_1346.JPG

Here's #10 at 29.25" tall. She's following behind #9 almost exactly. Lots of flower production as she readies herself to stretch and take on #2's appearance.
IMG_1347.JPG

Here they are set up under the lights. I put the shortest #8 directly in the center and then surround her with the other four so as to try and get maximum light to all. The plants are separated just enough so they're not touching one another but still under the lights. #2 is a little closer to the corner because her cola would otherwise be too close to the lights. As they grow the boxes/crates will be removed and the colas should be able to grow outside the light by bringing the corners outward. At least that is the plan. I'm going to try and do what I can so I don't cut off the top.
IMG_1350.JPG

So, I'm liking this grow so far. These five plants are showing me different stages of growth. Four out of five are pretty much the same with a difference in timing; some earlier than others but following the same path. #5 is different. While #2, her sister of the same age grew and grew and flowered she (5) loitered about. It's at this point that she looks prepared to shine. It looks like harvest will be staggered. I can't imagine they'll be peaking at the same time so I'm expecting varying harvests. I'm thinking of harvesting a branch at a time as trichomes reach their peak. If that is the route I take then how does the plant respond? Does she regrow those areas? Does she regrow those areas with vegetation and/or flowers? Is there such a thing as a perennial sativa? I expect I may explore that with this grow. I have researched the possibility of a perennial cannabis plant. I had these thoughts/questions during my 2017 grow. It seems others have also had these thoughts. Breeders have tried but have not succeeded. Some breeders have tried to cross cannabis with hops to try and get a perennial cannabis plant. I grow hops and knew they are the same family but I wouldn't have thought of trying to cross them. Apparently, it didn't work. This perennial question still occupies my mind.

I'll try and take some close up pictures tomorrow.
chope it in the middle

you are not growing a xmas tree :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke:

it's not for santa

chop , at least 2 road to go for one plant

well that's my opinion , they look good but this shape is just not adapted to grow dama ,the top bud will cover half of your tree

you already in flower ??? :bongrip::volcano-smiley::surf:

chope it in the middle

you are not growing a xmas tree :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke: :lot-o-toke:

it's not for santa

chop , at least 2 road to go for one plant

well that's my opinion , they look good but this shape is just not adapted to grow dama ,the top bud will cover half of your tree

you already in flower ??? :bongrip::volcano-smiley::surf:
Thanks for your opinion twinsun. Yes, already in flower.

Normally I'd argue 'but vascularity and yield' but at the same time I stalk a few people on social media that go to places like India and Vietnam in search of beautiful, yet commercially unviable strains. Hell, some of the big breeders have these spindly addled-looking plants that if you stop looking at them as the next crop are pretty spectacular.

Serious question for the community:

Does the cannabis world have a set of rules, a pedigree of sorts, to determine the specifics of hybridization? Like...I know my labs aren't purebred but if I WAS unsure...I can send off a sample to a lab and confirm genetics.

Does the weed world have that?
It would appear there is no cannabis genome data bank of the various varieties. So, sending in a sample to confirm genetics of a specific variety isn't possible yet from what I can find. That data base doesn't appear to exist. Sequencing of cannabis appears to have begun in 2011. From one site I read a wild cannabis female plant in China was sequenced in 2011. I'm adding a link where a 2011 genome sequencing of Purple Kush is mentioned. According to this link that sequencing info was made public in 2018. The link discusses sequencing done last year in Australia of "A variety of seeds were imported from a legal source in Canada".

It would appear there is no cannabis genome data bank of the various varieties. So, sending in a sample to confirm genetics of a specific variety isn't possible yet from what I can find. That data base doesn't appear to exist. Sequencing of cannabis appears to have begun in 2011. From one site I read a wild cannabis female plant in China was sequenced in 2011. I'm adding a link where a 2011 genome sequencing of Purple Kush is mentioned. According to this link that sequencing info was made public in 2018. The link discusses sequencing done last year in Australia of "A variety of seeds were imported from a legal source in Canada".
Oh yes, the link.

Gigabyte

Back
Top Bottom