Michael Hunt's First Bubble Grow

Now for some photos and stats.

DAY 22 from sprout
Ph: 5.8
Res temp: 68.7
Hum: 40%
PPM: 275-300

Theyre due for another 1/2 gallon of water and some more nutes tonight, Any suggestions on what i should bring the PPM up to? I was going to raise it to 550-650 but would love to hear from somebody with a little more experience. Using GH nutes btw. so much for the pepper plant as cover, the powerkush is spreading itself out alot more than i had anticipated and i guess so is the pepper plant so it had to be moved to the smaller cabinet to go 12/12 with that strange octopus clone. Now for pics

The cabinet now with a little more breathing room and a new Humidifier
0215101.jpg

Powerkush in all its glory
0215103.jpg

0215104.jpg

The FIM worked pretty well so far
0215105.jpg

0215106.jpg

PK ROOTS!!
0215107.jpg

Young Sage
0215108.jpg

0215109.jpg

Sage roots
02151010.jpg

The small cabinet at night, its really crammed with the pepper monster in there but i have no other choice, Sage and PK take priority over the pepper bush, (sorry pepper bush)
02151011.jpg

And last but not least the weird clone, and a broken CFL
02151012.jpg

The small cab sits around 75-78 with the lights on and 70 at night. Pepper res temp is 68 day and 65 night. Using a mix of 5600 and 2700 bulbs, 3 of each. Have a great day everybody and happy growing to those that are :grinjoint::roorrip::grinjoint:

Added more nutes last night, about 15 more Ml micro and 15ml of grow bringing the PPM up to 575-600. Ph is still steady around 5.8-5.9 I also noticed they were sagging some yesterday so i turned off the humidifier and this morning they were standing nice and strong again. Has anybody else experienced droopy plants after adding more humidity? With it running RH is 45% without it its around 20%-25% so its not like its incredibly humid and without it its obviously very dry. Im so confused :smokin:

Help help help

I need some help everybody, everything was going so good until now. There are brown spots showing up on PK's large fan leaves but none of the smaller leaves are being effected. I've seen a few gnats over the past 2 weeks but only 1 or 2 every other day and as soon as i see them, splat, they're gone.

Ph is 5.8 and the PPM this morning was around 500 give or take a few.

Heres a few pictures for reference

1help1.jpg

The leaves on the big fans are also curling up as u can see in the left of this one and the temp was only 77!?!?

1help2.jpg

Darker spots are forming on the end of this one, cant really see them in the picture. they look different from the bigger yellow/brown spots

1help3.jpg

This leads me to believe i have a little more than a gnat problem. But it doesnt look like webs in person and there are no eggs or mites on the back of the leaves. (i checked with a scope)

1help4.jpg

Another view of the darker spots forming on the end of this leaf.

I bought some Pythium fog treatment today and will give em a good fog and a break from the lights this afternoon unless i can get some other input. I would love to avoid using the fog but i've seen it work and if i have to i will. I really hope this is just a nute problem and not mites/thrips

I am interested in this also my plants went through the same thing but this is like week 2 1/2 for me I am down to two cause nute burn or Mg def. check my pics in my grow in my sig, we can compare notes. :( I thought at first it was the light then I thought it could because it kept getting worse even though I turned 2 of my UFO's off, I changed the res and since then the plants were lifting up even the more dead leaves so w/e it is, they are liking the clean water, I added some Epsom salt to combat what I believe to be a Mg Def. Epsom is like 1$ for a smaller bag might be worth a try if you have no other leads. Just my 2 cents.

SG

Sanibel: Thanks for the input man. I just finished looking around your grow, looks like yours are acting the same as mine the only difference is that it hit yours much younger than mine from the looks of it. I have some epsom salts i picked up this morning and would like to add them at lunch. How much epsom salt are you mixing per gallon?? I saw you said 1tbl spoon per gallon but it doesnt look like anybody confirmed that yet. your 2 cents is like $10 to me man, im open for any suggestions within reason

Mike let me share something with you.

First, I have no idea what the size of your grow area is, or the amount of lights you are using. I just want to tell you aobut something I saw somewhere else that might pertain to your grow.
Let me share something I saw this week.

A grower had a 4 by 4 sq ft grow space, = 16 sq ft.

He needed a bare minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft, to a max of 10,000 per sq ft, the sun's equvilant, and 6000 or 7000 lumens per sq ft would be PERFECT, ample and ideal.

At bare minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft, (less than half what the sun gives) he needed at least 48,000 lumens total. AT LEAST, BARE MINIMUM.

With CFLs, at 70 lumens per watt, he needed AT LEAST A BARE MINIMUM of 685 watts. He was growing with ten 26 watt bulbs, or 260 watts, much less than half of the bare minimum needed.

Let me repeat, he had 10 bulbs, (sounds like a lot) but he really had less than half the bare minimum needed. His ten bulbs were pretty in a DIY Reflector fixture and they looked like a lot of light, although they were much MUCH less than needed.
His plants were growing too, and were ten inches tall, after 3 weeks of Vegging in Hydro. They were ten inches tall, yea, but they were very, very stretched, looking for additional light. AND, they were not lush looking, they were very yellowed, leaves all twisted and curled and they were seriously nute burned. He could not understand why he had nute burn. He was following the directions perfectly on his nutes, was at a 550 - 600 ppm, but those directions were for someone with adeguate light.

WITHOUT ADEQUATE LIGHT, YOU HAVE TO REDUCE THE PPM AND AMOUNT OF NUTRIENTS FED TO THE PLANTS OR YOU WILL GET NUTE BURN.
Most instructions for feedings rely on you having adequate light!

AGAIN, WITHOUT ADEQUATE LIGHT, YOU HAVE TO REDUCE THE PPM AND AMOUNT OF NUTRIENTS FED TO THE PLANTS OR YOU WILL GET NUTE BURN.

Sanibel: Thanks for the input man. I just finished looking around your grow, looks like yours are acting the same as mine the only difference is that it hit yours much younger than mine from the looks of it. I have some epsom salts i picked up this morning and would like to add them at lunch. How much epsom salt are you mixing per gallon?? I saw you said 1tbl spoon per gallon but it doesn't look like anybody confirmed that yet. your 2 cents is like $10 to me man, i'm open for any suggestions within reason

Honestly Mike I just put one Tablespoon in a milk jug with water from the current res ( which has 6 gallons) and shook it up dissolved it then threw it back in the tub, ph didn't really change after an hour and I did spray/misting feeding at the same time. I'll take some new pics tonight so we can continue this joint effort :)

SG

The grow space is roughly 30" wide and about 22" deep, i thought anything more than a 400W hps would be overkill which is why i went with a 400 in this space. Im using CFL's in my small cabinet but im not concerned about what is in there (a pepper tree and a clone from a plant that hermed so it will most likely get tossed anyways) Im havving problems with my bigger cabinet which which has a Daystar reflector, hortilux 400W super hps and lumatec ballast. If you think light is my problem Rose then i will be looking into a 600 but i thought i was fine with what i had. i'll get started reading your tutorials, thanks again

Sanibel - I'll wait to see the pics before i try it myself but it sounds easy enough. 2 heads ARE better than one

I know it has nothing to do with your grow, which I am following btw....but every time I see your screen name "Mike Hunt" I think of the movie Porky's!!
Sorry, back to the show in progress. :rollit:

The grow space is roughly 30" wide and about 22" deep, i thought anything more than a 400W hps would be overkill which is why i went with a 400 in this space. Im using CFL's in my small cabinet but im not concerned about what is in there (a pepper tree and a clone from a plant that hermed so it will most likely get tossed anyways) Im havving problems with my bigger cabinet which which has a Daystar reflector, hortilux 400W super hps and lumatec ballast. If you think light is my problem Rose then i will be looking into a 600 but i thought i was fine with what i had. i'll get started reading your tutorials, thanks again

Sanibel - I'll wait to see the pics before i try it myself but it sounds easy enough. 2 heads ARE better than one

When I posted that, I had no idea what amount of light, or watts, or lumens you had. What I was trying to say is it is possible to follow instructions on nutrients precisely, and still over-nute, because of inadequate light.

You have 660 sq inches = 4.5 sq ft, so you need a bare minimum of 12,000 lumens or about 120 watts at bare minimum, so you do have enough light.

Here is a chart Purpdaddy gave me:

Note on HIDs contributed by PurpDaddy:
When given the choice of only one light, most marijuana growers will choose an HPS, High Pressure Sodium grow light over MH, Metal Halide, because HPS lights are more efficient (larger harvest).
You can't use a standard high pressure sodium bulb in a metal halide fixture, but you can use a metal halide bulb in a high pressure sodium fixture of the same wattage.
There are special hps bulbs that can be used in a mh fixture and vice-versa. But these conversion bulbs cost about double the price of a standard bulb.
With HID Lights:
A 250 watt fixture will supply enough light to cover a 2.5 foot by 2.5 foot grow area. (6 plants or less)
A 400 watt fixture will supply enough light to cover a 4 foot by 4 foot grow area. (12 plants or less)
A 600 watt fixture will supply enough light to cover a 5 foot by 5 foot grow area. (18 plants or less)
A 1000 watt fixture will supply enough light to cover a 6.5 foot by 6.5 foot grow area. (30 plants or less)

so now I do know you have adequate light.

Perhaps the problem is HEAT, OR Lights too close.

I'd rule out over feeding and, or not enough light.

Well my thermometer reads 73, it spiked to 80 yesterday afternoon but it never goes above 80. I have 2 thermometers in different places in the box to rule out any spots that may be warmer than the rest. But the reflector is fixed in the top of the cabinet at about 3'-3 1/2' from the tops of the plants. With the exhaust fan running the reflector is cold to the touch but i will look into heat being a factor. maybe my thermometers are reading wrong?

Here's how they look today, no signs of getting any better . . .

2help1.jpg

2help2.jpg

2help3.jpg

i dont think i have a stretch problem seeing how close these lower branches are.
2help4.jpg

Tested the Ph and it had spiked back up to 6.5 so i adjusted it back down to 5.9 i also think im going to stick with 18/6 instead of 24/0. Could switching from 18/6 to 24/0 cause this?? Now that i think of it this didnt start to happen until i went to 24/0

Tested the Ph and it had spiked back up to 6.5 so i adjusted it back down to 5.9 i also think im going to stick with 18/6 instead of 24/0. Could switching from 18/6 to 24/0 cause this?? Now that i think of it this didnt start to happen until i went to 24/0

My plants looked just like that when they started the downfall, reason I decided to go with the Mg Def will let you know

SG

My plants looked just like that when they started the downfall, reason I decided to go with the Mg Def will let you know

SG

Thanks man i really appreciate it :thanks: Im trying to catch and fix this problem before i stress her too much and lose alot of leaves
Edit: Afetr doing alot of searching here and g****e im begining to think its a MG def as well. Checked out tons of pictures of Mg deficient plants cannabis and not, they all get yellow/brown spots between leaf veins. Looks like i will be adding in some epsom salts this afternoon.

Added epsom salts (thank you sanibel) to the res yesterday and today the yellow spotting has stopped. The spots that are there, are browning but overall they are bouncing back hard. New growth has started booming again and she's begining her 2 tops. I'm trying to decide what to do about the S.A.G.E. whether it be topping or lst. I know she's a sativa dominant strain so i dont know how i feel about cutting off her head but without a whole lot of lateral branching i dont know about LST either. If anybody has some light to shed on this please chime in.

Photo's will be up sometime this weekend :yummy:

Added epsom salts (thank you sanibel) to the res yesterday and today the yellow spotting has stopped. The spots that are there, are browning but overall they are bouncing back hard. New growth has started booming again and she's begining her 2 tops. I'm trying to decide what to do about the S.A.G.E. whether it be topping or lst. I know she's a sativa dominant strain so i dont know how i feel about cutting off her head but without a whole lot of lateral branching i dont know about LST either. If anybody has some light to shed on this please chime in.

Photo's will be up sometime this weekend :yummy:

NP man :)

SG

Back
Top Bottom