Mike's First 2x2 LED Grow - Dutch Treat & Black Cherry Soda

How does it bring the lower nugs up?

The idea of a SCROG is to train a plant to achieve a flat canopy, with all the colas near the same height. Throughout the vegetative stage branches are trained and growth tips are topped to create additional colas. Branches are moved to expose lower growth tips who reach for the light and extend above the screen. They too are then tucked under and up thru an empty hole. As time progresses the entire screen fills and the grow space is fully utilized with the most colas possible all receiving light. The plants energy is spread across them all instead of most energy going into one main cola, as the cannabis plant does when left to its own devices.

Not only is a SCROG great for filling the footprint of the space, it also allows one some control over the height of the plant. Timing is important as the plant(s) should go into flower when enough space remains so that when the plant stretches, aggressive colas can be pulled down and tucked to maintain a level canopy and keep the height manageable.

So today is day 14 of flower. I watered them today with ph at 6.3 and had the ppm at 700.
I know I jumped big but for some reason I could not bring it down to 600. So I went with it at 700ppm. Hopefully they will be fine. My temps have been staying around 78 to 82 with lights on and 70 to 74 with lights off. I'm going to wait another 2 weeks but I might buy a taller grow tent. Here's a pic of today.

20170710_230804.jpg

Last night I took my plants out to trim a bit. It hurt to cut off some of the lower branches but I want all the focus on the ones that are on top. They look great and I think I started to see a little bit of crystals on top. So excited. I feel like in the next week I will start to get a smell of them.

When I took them out a saw like 3 ants come out from the soil. Anything I can put in there to get rid of them? Should I just ad some of the ant killers they sell in the local hardware store? Maybe 2 in the corners? Any advice is appreciated. Here's a picture of it after trimming
Also watered half a gallon each with ph level of 6.3
Feel like they need a gallon each. They feel a bit light with half a gallon. Let me know if I should add a gallon each now. I should mention I water every other day. Maybe half a gallon everyday? Anyways here's the picture.
Everyone have a great day!

20170713_073753.jpg

Mike's First 2x2 LED Grow - Dutch Treat & Black Cherry Soda

Last night I took my plants out to trim a bit. It hurt to cut off some of the lower branches but I want all the focus on the ones that are on top. They look great and I think I started to see a little bit of crystals on top. So excited. I feel like in the next week I will start to get a smell of them.

When I took them out a saw like 3 ants come out from the soil. Anything I can put in there to get rid of them? Should I just ad some of the ant killers they sell in the local hardware store? Maybe 2 in the corners? Any advice is appreciated. Here's a picture of it after trimming
Feel like they need a gallon each. They feel a bit light with half a gallon. Let me know if I should add a gallon each now. I should mention I water every other day. Maybe half a gallon everyday? Anyways here's the picture.

20170713_073753.jpg

Lookin good Mike. Gonna be cozy in there!!

20170713_073753.jpg

Hey Mike! Looking good!

When I started I read a lot, and one thing that I heard repeatedly was that cannabis likes to dry out between waterings and that most newbies biggest mistake is over watering resulting in root rot and stunted growth.

For that reason it was on my radar and what I found worked best as far as the plants rewarding me with explosive growth was watering every three or four days. Of course there is no definite rule because things like running high temps dries out the top and sides and the plants pull more moisture to protect their leaves from drying out. It also depends on size of plant and pot.

After the second day after watering I'd stick my index finger in the soil down to at least second knuckle. If the end of my finger felt dampness I'd wait till start of next light cycle. If it felt pretty dry and pot felt light I'd water.

The other thing I began doing when growth seemed to stall is water until I got run-off. Over time I got pretty close to knowing how much run-off they would re-absorb back up into the bottom of pot. That's the thing about letting dry out... the dry soil takes a minute to perk and then it goes thru quite fast. And as it dries the soil will contract from around the sides so if I flood it to get even water distribution it runs freely down the sides and out the weep holes. But I know I'm not over watering if it can reabsorb the run-off within an hour. Often it happens quicker than that. If it doesn't, I have a small $35 wet/dry shop vac I use to suck out the water from the trays, as sitting in water is quickest way to get root rot.

I'll just share something else I learned about defoliation. While I did some major defol in veg and more in flower and that served me fairly well. I regret taking as much as I did and believe it hurt my yield a bit. What I'll do from now on is defol while in veg to give as many growth tips as possible the light they need to reach the canopy and maintain good air flow thru canopy. Just before flipping to 12/12, I'll clear any remaining growth below net or below about an eight inch thick canopy. Then when they stretch they can become much longer colas. From the stretch on, any defol I will be working from the top down rather than the bottom of canopy up. Reason for that is that especially with broad leaf strains they can create an umbrellas over lower buds on colas and not bulk as well as I know they could have.

Anyway, hope my rambling helps. Take what you can use and leave the rest. I only knows what I knows and I doesn't knows no mo!

Your girls are looking healthy! Nice job!! Can't wait to see how they progress!

Hey Mike! Looking good!

When I started I read a lot, and one thing that I heard repeatedly was that cannabis likes to dry out between waterings and that most newbies biggest mistake is over watering resulting in root rot and stunted growth.

For that reason it was on my radar and what I found worked best as far as the plants rewarding me with explosive growth was watering every three or four days. Of course there is no definite rule because things like running high temps dries out the top and sides and the plants pull more moisture to protect their leaves from drying out. It also depends on size of plant and pot.

After the second day after watering I'd stick my index finger in the soil down to at least second knuckle. If the end of my finger felt dampness I'd wait till start of next light cycle. If it felt pretty dry and pot felt light I'd water.

The other thing I began doing when growth seemed to stall is water until I got run-off. Over time I got pretty close to knowing how much run-off they would re-absorb back up into the bottom of pot. That's the thing about letting dry out... the dry soil takes a minute to perk and then it goes thru quite fast. And as it dries the soil will contract from around the sides so if I flood it to get even water distribution it runs freely down the sides and out the weep holes. But I know I'm not over watering if it can reabsorb the run-off within an hour. Often it happens quicker than that. If it doesn't, I have a small $35 wet/dry shop vac I use to suck out the water from the trays, as sitting in water is quickest way to get root rot.

I'll just share something else I learned about defoliation. While I did some major defol in veg and more in flower and that served me fairly well. I regret taking as much as I did and believe it hurt my yield a bit. What I'll do from now on is defol while in veg to give as many growth tips as possible the light they need to reach the canopy and maintain good air flow thru canopy. Just before flipping to 12/12, I'll clear any remaining growth below net or below about an eight inch thick canopy. Then when they stretch they can become much longer colas. From the stretch on, any defol I will be working from the top down rather than the bottom of canopy up. Reason for that is that especially with broad leaf strains they can create an umbrellas over lower buds on colas and not bulk as well as I know they could have.

Anyway, hope my rambling helps. Take what you can use and leave the rest. I only knows what I knows and I doesn't knows no mo!

Your girls are looking healthy! Nice job!! Can't wait to see how they progress!

Thank you randoobula for all that information. Never rambling. I read everything. I like any and all Information.

Overwatering is one thing I read alot as well. That is why ive been doing only half a gallon every other day. But when I took them out and defol, I watered them before putting them back in and noticed they were a bit light. Oh and there in 3 gallon pots and I'm only doing half gallon. I know I'm pushing it a bit. But when I water, runoff comes out and after 30 min or so it drinks it up as well. I have trays under them. I do let them dry out as i remMaybe instead of 1 gallon do 3/4 of a gallon. Or maybe experiment and keep one the same at half gallon and do the other 1 gallon and see if there's any difference. But as far as now they seem to be growing fine. A few light leaves but nothing major.

I won't be doing any more trimming on it. Just going to let them go from here. I did do alot of trimming in veg stage and lollipop. Which I learned about while growing these. Lol

Thank you again!! Been following your grow as well!

Hey everyone today i will be adding cal mag and molasses to there feeding. I want to know do I mix nutrients first then molasses then cal mag? I also read that I have to mix molasses with warm water, is this true? Do I then wait for it to cool down Or? Any help is appreciated Thanks everyone!

I don't think it matters what order they are added aside from silica needs to be added to just plain water before other nutes are added.

Hadn't heard about warm water. I used molasses and it dissolves readily in 75 degree water so don't see the need.

Ok thank you! Don't know what differences I'll be looking for but read that it's good for them.

Ok thank you! Don't know what differences I'll be looking for but read that it's good for them.

From what I understand, the molasses is actually food/carbs for the microbes in the soil not actually the plant itself, and the microbes are like little scientists who convert the nutes into usable form for the plant.

For this reason, I fed my plants three waterings and fed the soil the fourth. The fourth I added just molasses and Mammoth P, which is microbes.

Seems many feed every other watering, but by checking my run-off I decided that they were using the nutes when feeding every watering. Seems to have worked well, but then I don't have anything to compare it to.

One thing to consider is adding a PK boost about half way into flower, maybe a bit sooner. When I did this is when they really started to pack some weight in the buds. I didn't start till later in flower but will definitely start sooner this go round.

Back
Top Bottom