Mineral Spirits used to clean pipe

hardcorina

My buddy used Mineral Spirits to clean his clogged pipe, even after I strongly suggested rubbing alcohol and salt. His pipe reeks an awful chemical smell and I refuse to smoke with it. Am I overeacting? Or can I get some support that I'm right and he is a idiot?

Re: Mineral Spirits used to clean pipe...

If what a person uses to clean a smoking devise leaves a funky (chem) smell... you have good reason not to smoke from it... I wouldn't!
If you can smell it... what do you think is gonna happen when you put flame to it? I don't know if mineral spirits is bad when inhaled but why take a chance if you don't have to!

That's usually what I use, pisses the lil woman off cause I steal hers... LOL

I got turned on to some of that 420 juice that has been around for a while. I am just about needing to clean my pipe and will be trying it for the first time.
I will try to remember to post back here w/a report!

Rubbing Alcohol

I've always ueed rubbing alcohol, or good old fashioned scraping with an unbent paper clip to clean pipes. My buddy just got the idea to use mineral spirits since his dad had some in the garage. I know the stuff isn't flammable but its highly caustic and toxic and I don't want it near my lungs or my trees.

Rubbing alcohol is about 99 cents a quart in most discount stores. The higher the percentage of alcohol, the better or faster it will work. It cleans well and leaves no residue once it has evaporated. I would never use mineral spirits or any petroleum product to clean any thing that I used to ingest any substance. You could get sick or die from such a move. If you can smell something it is not clean. He could probably re-clean his piece with alcohol now.

My buddy used Mineral Spirits to clean his clogged pipe, even after I strongly suggested rubbing alcohol and salt. His pipe reeks an awful chemical smell and I refuse to smoke with it. Am I overeacting? Or can I get some support that I'm right and he is a idiot?

:thumb:

Sounds like your buddy needs a new pipe, lol.

I hate mineral spirits. Makes my skin tingle (and in a bad way;)). If I have to clean paint off my skin and it's not easy to wash off latex, I'll grab #5 lacquer thinner (but I'd NEVER clean a pipe with it).

He might be able to boil it out on the kitchen stove. Disassemble the pipe. Place into boiling water for a few minutes, change water, dunk again, change and dunk a final time.

That's IF the pipe is totally cleaned of all resin. If not, the mineral spirits are probably mixed into the resin and you'll want to completely clean it with alcohol. Recommend 91% isopropyl(sp?). Only a few cents more than the 70% stuff.

Don't smoke out of a contaminated pipe.

Not a good idea. Basically he's using paint thinner to clean his pipe and he is exposing himself to toxic hydrocarbons. I wouldn't smoke that pipe either!
Maybe some that new sponsor's cleaner is in order; @Mile HIGH Cleaner
I talked with the owner Jim ( nice guy) and he was saying how bad using petrochemicals was for your health and the environment. If you don’t use his @Mile HIGH Cleaner at least just don’t use something toxic. CL🍀

It's understandable that you're concerned about the chemical smell and its potential impact on your smoking experience. While I can't comment on your friend's intelligence, I can provide some information that might help you better understand the situation.

Mineral spirits, also known as paint thinner, is a petroleum-based solvent commonly used for thinning paint or cleaning brushes and other surfaces. It contains various chemicals that can produce strong odors and may not be suitable for cleaning smoking pipes. Rubbing alcohol, on the other hand, is often used for cleaning pipes due to its evaporative properties and lack of residual odor.

It's possible that the use of mineral spirits left a lingering chemical smell in your friend's pipe, which could be unpleasant and potentially harmful when inhaling the fumes during smoking. It's reasonable for you to have concerns about smoking from a pipe with such a strong odor, as it can impact your overall experience and potentially your health.

In this situation, it might be helpful to have an open and honest conversation with your friend about your concerns. You can express your preference for using a different cleaning method and explain your reasons for avoiding the pipe until the odor dissipates. Ultimately, it's important to prioritize your own well-being and comfort when making decisions about your smoking habits.

Back
Top Bottom