Monkey's 2nd Attempt - CFL - Soil - Thunderpaws

also coming back to the lights for the bloom. i currently have 12x 20w warm white 2700k cfl that i wanna accompany with 5 meters of warm white led strips that i will put at the top and the side of my cabinet. i will go back and see how many watts a meter of these led strips produce.

its either that or getting 2x 200w warm white 2700k cfl globes or 9x 28w full dpectrum led grow bulbs.

or i can do a mix of the current 20w cfl's with the warm white led strip plus 4 of the full spectrum led bulbs.

i can post pics of the full spectrum led bulbs and specifications if wanted with the warm white led strips i wanna get if any one is interested.

also coming back to the lights for the bloom. i currently have 12x 20w warm white 2700k cfl that i wanna accompany with 5 meters of warm white led strips that i will put at the top and the side of my cabinet. i will go back and see how many watts a meter of these led strips produce.

its either that or getting 2x 200w warm white 2700k cfl globes or 9x 28w full dpectrum led grow bulbs.

or i can do a mix of the current 20w cfl's with the warm white led strip plus 4 of the full spectrum led bulbs.

i can post pics of the full spectrum led bulbs and specifications if wanted with the warm white led strips i wanna get if any one is interested.

Pics and specs always help but to be honest I'm not sure if they are necessary in this case that sounds like lots of light but it also depends on your square footage.

Hey buddy post a pic of the full spectrums il check them out ... lso post a pic of the strip lights you want to use ... do you have any idea of what led chips they have in them ?

. from Africa

Well the bloom side off the cabinet is roughly 55x55x120cm

Sounds like either choice should be enough light.

I am assuming the 120cm is the height and your cabinet is square. If my math is right the suggested lumens for that would be around 16000 (55cm = ~21.65"; squared = ~3.25 sq ft. * 5000 lumen/ sq ft = ~16250).

Just counting CFLs, I assume the 20w are 1200 lumens (probably more) which would put you at 14400 lumens so the LEDs would probably bring up or past the 16k mark. I did a bit of searching for high wattage CFLs (didn't even know they existed as high as you mention, thanks for that) and it appears the 200w bulbs are somewhere in the range of 10-12k lumens so two of them should be more than enough.

My only concern with all that wattage would be heat.

IMG_56859.JPG
IMG_568211.JPG
IMG_56786.JPG
IMG_56746.JPG
IMG_56697.JPG
IMG_56608.JPG

i have a problem, 3 plants are growing super slow while 3 other plants seem to be growing okayish but even there size im worried about. they have gained l;ength and internodes are tight but plant over seem to stay small.

any help or input into this?

Sounds like either choice should be enough light.

I am assuming the 120cm is the height and your cabinet is square. If my math is right the suggested lumens for that would be around 16000 (55cm = ~21.65"; squared = ~3.25 sq ft. * 5000 lumen/ sq ft = ~16250).

Just counting CFLs, I assume the 20w are 1200 lumens (probably more) which would put you at 14400 lumens so the LEDs would probably bring up or past the 16k mark. I did a bit of searching for high wattage CFLs (didn't even know they existed as high as you mention, thanks for that) and it appears the 200w bulbs are somewhere in the range of 10-12k lumens so two of them should be more than enough.

My only concern with all that wattage would be heat.

These are the specifications of the led grow bulbs

Item Type: Grow Lights
Is Dimmable:No
Voltage: AC 100~240V
Body Material: Aluminum
Power Source: AC
Light Source:LED Bulbs
Model Number:Led Grow Light
Wattage: 28W
Color:Full Spectrum
Base Type:E27
Lumens: 800lm
Input Voltage: AC 100~240V
Lifespan: 50000 hours
LED Quantity: 28pcs
For:Flower,Plant,Vegetable Growing
Using: Greenhouse,Growbox,Grow Tent
Feature: Hydroponics Systems equipment

Spectral range effects on plant physiology:
1.280nm ~ 315nm influence on morphological and physiological processes is minimal
2.315 nm ~ 420nm chlorophyll absorbs less impact photoperiod effect, prevent stem elongation
3.420 nm ~ 500nm (blue) chlorophyll and carotenoids absorbed the largest proportion, the greatest impact on photosynthesis
4.500 nm ~ 620nm dye absorption rate is not high
5.620nm ~ 750nm (red) chlorophyll absorption rate "high\

Bark or wood chips in the soil can stop roots from spreading out and the plant will just stop growing. This happened to me when I first started experimenting with growing. I eventually transplanted them to better soil mixed with perlite and compost. The roots were tiny and wrapped around little chunks of bark. They improved a lot after the transplant. Only mentioning this because your soil looks like it might contain wood chips.

Bark or wood chips in the soil can stop roots from spreading out and the plant will just stop growing. This happened to me when I first started experimenting with growing. I eventually transplanted them to better soil mixed with perlite and compost. The roots were tiny and wrapped around little chunks of bark. They improved a lot after the transplant. Only mentioning this because your soil looks like it might contain wood chips.

Im using the same soil as my last grow and then they grew fast but this time my grow is super slow.. Yeah there are bark chips in but very little... Im starting to think its environmental issues...

Hey Chronic.. gona jump on if you don't mind, currently 22 days into flowering my first CFL grow n things seem to be going well!

I will say everything seems to move just that little bit slower with CFL than you see some of the LED grows but just be patient fella, if I was going to try and give advice which I rarely do because I'm a newbie myself! Get them bulbs 4/5 inches away from your plants and try to get them mounted sideways somehow you will get more light and try to knock up a reflector, more light the better!
And what I've done is make sure my dark period is overnight that way light leak shouldn't really be an issue.

Hey Chronic.. gona jump on if you don't mind, currently 22 days into flowering my first CFL grow n things seem to be going well!

I will say everything seems to move just that little bit slower with CFL than you see some of the LED grows but just be patient fella, if I was going to try and give advice which I rarely do because I'm a newbie myself! Get them bulbs 4/5 inches away from your plants and try to get them mounted sideways somehow you will get more light and try to knock up a reflector, more light the better!
And what I've done is make sure my dark period is overnight that way light leak shouldn't really be an issue.

Hey bud and thanks for the input.. Currently lights are fixed in a side position with reflectors about 10-15cm from the plant canopy.. So that is cool, so im really not sure... Especially the fact that the plants are growing at different paces under the same environment

Hey bud and thanks for the input.. Currently lights are fixed in a side position with reflectors about 10-15cm from the plant canopy.. So that is cool, so im really not sure... Especially the fact that the plants are growing at different paces under the same environment
Pleasure dude.. These 2 are sisters out of the same bud, twins so to speak lol... completely different growth rates!
420-magazine-mobile1556015516.jpg

I've just bent leftie over this morning and she's been trained to death but she's got a good foot on rightie.. also flowers
Leftie
420-magazine-mobile485615418.jpg

Rightie
420-magazine-mobile315881945.jpg

Same food.. same soil.. lights, the lot!

IMG_56859.JPG
IMG_568211.JPG
IMG_56786.JPG
IMG_56746.JPG
IMG_56697.JPG
IMG_56608.JPG

i have a problem, 3 plants are growing super slow while 3 other plants seem to be growing okayish but even there size im worried about. they have gained l;ength and internodes are tight but plant over seem to stay small.

any help or input into this?

Hi Monkey, it's hard to say. Other than being a little slow they look relatively healthy. I have had this happen to me in the past where my seedlings take forever to get moving and then suddenly go through a growth spurt. I think sometimes they are building roots and of course the CFLs grows being a bit slower doesn't help.

Growth rates can vary quite wildly between seeds even if they are from the same plant depending on which genetics each seed got from which parent (which also affects phenotype expression).

If your seedlings are otherwise healthy I can't give much more advice other than be patient. That LED light you are looking at looks pretty sweet. When you use those just be aware of "light burn", I have seen it happen with LEDs because the light is more intense than CFL but they don't kick out the heat like a HPS so they don't need to be as far from the canopy.

Hey guys been awhile.. I think i got my growth problem sorted as my plants have grown a lot in the last week.. Here are some measurements..

No1: 7cm - 11cm
No2: 4cm - 6cm
No3: 4cm - 7cm
No4: 7cm - 11cm
No5: 6cm - 12cm
No6: 3cm - 5cm

So as you can see growth has almost double in most in the last week..

Here are some pics.. Even tho they keeping short growth in between internodes the stems are still thin making same of them leaning to the side, you guys think i can start some lsting or just put up support for the main stems?

Here are some pics..

420-magazine-mobile1008851456.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1830965142.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1458133112.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1496661389.jpg
420-magazine-mobile80448810.jpg
420-magazine-mobile491443192.jpg
420-magazine-mobile856477584.jpg

Can i start adding some nutes?

What you guys think? Any input appreciated.. Still under just 340w cfl 6400k lights.. I have 3 pc server fans that blow stronh across them but no out take fans of yet.. We currently in winter so its cold. Think my heat in my cabinet wasnt good so i disconnected one fan and since then they growth has started again...

But anyhow.. What you guys think?

@OttawaGreen my temp and humidity gauge broke a few weeks back and havent gotten a new one since then but for the last week i made a few changes in the grow cabinet and since then they started growing at a nice speed again so clearly my issue was heat and humidity.. I have ordered a new gage and hope yo get it in the next week and i will give feedback on that:: buy yeah seems that was my issues..

Im actually so happy now seeing them going full steam again and getting somewhere.. Do you think i should start adding nutes?

Back
Top Bottom