My First Grow - Bubbleicious in Deep Water Culture

Hi guys,

Just starting week 6 now. I am hoping to harvest super bowl Sunday. I wish I could take better pictures of the buds. They seem to me to be more impressive than the pictures can show. I have about 8-9 bud sites like the first picture....about 9-10 inches long about as thick as a red bull can. I have dozens more about half that size. And just little buds everywhere else. I move a branch and see another huge bud behind.

I try not to touch my plants very much. Not sure if that is important or not. If I touch them my hands come out sticky so I am assuming that I am destroying trichromes by handling them. Is this the case? Anyway, I went to take pictures and discovered several huge bud sites that I didn't know were there because of all the foliage.

I tried to push some leaves to the side of the following pictures to get better shots of the buds.

Current conditions:

water temp: 62
air temp: 68
pH: 5.9
humidity: 42%

GH Micro - 10ml / gal
GH gro - 7 ml / gal
GH Bloom - 15ml / gal
Cal-Mag - 7 ml / gal
Liquid Karma - 5 ml / gal

nute soup = 1140 ppm

I am once again starting to get some leaves getting dead spots starting in the middle of the leaf. Still don't know if this is nute burn or a deficiency. Seems to mostly be happening on one plant (the runt) and leaves at the canopy. Don't think it is heat burn. Fourth picture is a blurry one of my leaf problem. They all start like this . Big yellow spots on each side of the leaf...and then get bigger as it goes to the edge of the leaf. Anyone have a guess? I've heard heat burn and possible nute burn. When I've had nute burn in the past it has started from the edges. This starts from the middle. No way it's heat burn on this plant as it is furthest from the lights.

buds110.jpg

buds23.jpg

buds31.jpg

burn5.jpg

It's probably just the fact that you are in flower and the bud is sucking the leaf for the stuff it needs to grow. You could bump up the grow nutes to give the plant some leaf building material if you want but it's not all that critical at this point. I'm running higher N this grow in 12/12 to maintain leaf health but in the last couple of days I'm still losing a leaf here and there. A plants gotta do what a plants gotta do.

hey mr. mojo. looking great. in the main grow forum sec. there is a thread about plant problems that has alot of pics and info. Problems, Pests & Disease Control - 420 Magazine it may help. but never the less. looking good man. keep up the good work. cant wait to see what you get at harvest time

Thanks for the link!! Those pictures are much better than the drawings in my reference book.

I'm thinking I need to bump up my nutes a little like MC says. 1130 ppm with the cal-mag and liquid karma probably means that my nute level of just my basics is closer to 900. Bump up the N and from the looks of those pics, potassium. I am using HPS now, but only using 75% of recommended doses as suggested for CFL. Seems like I can now go closer to 100%.

It also seems that maybe I need to up the dose of FloraKleen during water changes to get rid of the excess salts. I just realized I am still using the dosage for early growth and weak plants.

Thanks MC. Just did a nute soup change and brought it up to 1225. I'll go to 1330 in a few days.

Well, I was just reading a thread on here about being a virgin until you break a bulb. I just did a water change and when I was getting up my big fat head hit a light and it fell down and...well you know.

IMG_16532.jpg

Happens to the best of us. I expand that to other things we use like airstones and dropping a non-waterprof tester in the res. Not saying I did these things, not saying I didn't! LOL! I've been especially careful with my lghts when I first read that and so far I did drop one but it hit my foot and didn;t break. Does that count?

I'm glad it was the 42's and not my 85 watt bulbs.

Does anyone know of a good thread on the site about harvesting and trimming. I know Roseman had a good one before, but I can't find it on here.

Here is some good harvest info from Stinkbud:

Flushing 101
Have you ever smoked pot that has that smelled like freshly mowed lawn clippings and had a burning after taste? Did it snap, crackle and pop like a bowl of Rice Crispies?

You just smoked pot that wasn't flushed properly.

Flushing is one of the most important aspects of growing. Some will argue that it is not needed. Don't listen to them! Trust me on this one, flushing really helps improve the smell and flavor of your bud.

Start your flush 1 week before harvest. Drain the reservoir and refill it with tap water.

Let the pump run constantly for about an hour to wash out any nutrients hanging around.

Drain the reservoir and refill it with fresh water. Add 450ml of Sweet and set the pump to run normally.

After about 3 days drain the water and add fresh water with 450ml of Sweet.

Always keep the PH at 5.8

Your plants will start to turn colors during the flush. This is good. It means that the plant is using up all the available nutrients.

I've seen purple, red, yellow and blue during the flush.

At the end of 1 week your plants should be ready for harvest.

Now it's time to reap the rewards of all your hard work!

Towards the end of your flush you need to start checking the trichromes with a strong magnifying glass or a microscope.

If you have a camera with macro capabilities you can use that to inspect the buds.

You are looking for the trichromes to turn from clear to cloudy. I like my mostly Indicas with a little amber in the trichromes but I like my Sativas so that the trichchromes are just starting to turn cloudy.

If you harvest early in the window the high will be more of a head high. Also the more you smoke the higher you get. This is called the ceiling of the high. Sativas are well known for this type of high.

If you harvest later in the window you will get more of a body high. You know that couch lock feeling you get when you smoke a lot of hash like bud. Indicas and Afghani are the strains I think of for a body stone.

Now you have to factor in the fact that different strains are a mixture of Indica and Sativa. Then take into account that each strain takes a different amount of time to finish and you can have your hands full in no time.

So it's a personal thing, not an exact science. You choose what you like best. There is no exact day you can harvest but the time when you harvest effects the final high of the bud.

For me it works out like this. I like two main types of medicine. The first is better for the day. The second works better for the evening.

My more Sativa strains are harvested at the early side of the window. This gives me that soaring, energetic high that keeps climbing the more you smoke. It's great for work and play.

At around 9 weeks the more Indica strains are very finished. This is late in the window for them. The high is very body like and medicinal. It works great for pain and nausea. Or when you need to get to sleep.

You get the best of both worlds at 9 weeks.

Time to cut.
So now we have watched the trichromes and decided it is time to cut our babies.

Use some gardening shears and just cut them off at the base. Once you cut all the plants turn off the pump and let the roots dry out. That way it is not so messy with wet slimy roots everywhere.

You have two options with the plants.

1) Hang the plants to dry and trim the buds later.

Advantage: Hanging them up allows the maximum drying time. This allows the plants to get rid of any leftover nutrients in the buds so they taste nice and sweet.

Disadvantage: It takes longer to dry this way. It is harder to trim the buds. You have to watch for mold. A longer drying time could allow mold to develop.

2) Trim the buds now and put them on a screen to dry.

Advantage: It is a lot easier to trim the buds when they are fresh. Mold problems disappear. Faster drying time. If you need smoke, trim first.

Disadvantage: Not much if you have flushed properly. The buds could dry too fast. Crispy on the outside and wet on the inside. Putting the buds in a brown paper bag can be used to slow the dry down.

Both trimming methods work well and I really can't tell the difference in taste.

It's a lot easier to pull a plant and trim it right then. That way you are done right away and can move on to maintenance.

Trimming and curing

If your stems snap when you bend them then your buds are dry and ready for curing.

Curing is the last process of growing. It allows the smoke to smooth out and taste better. Bud that is harsh to smoke right after drying will many times mellow out with time.

If you haven't trimmed the buds go ahead and do the dirty deed.

Cure your bud in the classic glass jars used for canning. Any brand will work fine.

Don't pack the bud too tightly, you want them to breath.

Open the jars a few times a day for the first week. Then open them every few days until they smell sweet.

If they start smelling funky then you didn't let them dry enough. Take them out and let them dry completely.

It usually takes a good 3 months for the best cure. Like fine wine the longer bud cures the better it will taste.

I have to say that the longer you cure the better. After 30 days mine are just dandy and you can stop the burping at that point but they get better as the time goes on. I'm down to my last 1/4oz from a grow that cut on 8/15. If I don't keep the lid on I'm afraid it may crawl out and go looking for me! LOL! Never fear, store bought is here! I cut in 3 weeks!

Thank you! All of these tips help a lot!

I guess what I am most concerned about is trimming and figuring out the trichromes. I went to Radio Shack to get a microscope and could only find a 60x-100x scope. I got a 15x magnifying glass that seems easier to use than the microscope. I have no idea how to tell when the trichromes are ready. I'm assuming as they get milky I will be able to notice. I think my camera shows the trichromes better than anything else so I will probably use that.

tri.gif

When trimming how close should I trim? Should I just pull the larger fan leaves by the stem out of the bud? Do plants typically turn at the same time? I feel like one of my plants is a few days behind the other three due to lower light levels hitting the runt plant. How do I determine that I am 1 week away from harvest and time to flush (if I flush)?

This is my first grow. Sorry about all the newb questions. I read a lot about curing and drying. I guess I just don't know how fast the trichromes are going to change or if there are any warning signs that I am getting close to harvest. I also don't know exactly what to trim or how much to trim off.

Hey Mojo! just found your thread! Looking great so far, can't wait to see the final product buddy.

Back
Top Bottom