My First Grow - Bubbleicious in Deep Water Culture

lol

I agree, I change my res every three days now. Partly because of a lack of a ppm meter and mostly because I like to tinker a lot.

It keeps things cleaner and ph steady. I always wash my tub every res change too, my plant loves me for it :rollit:

Not knocking what your doing at all bro!

Those last pics made my mouth water a little, great looking sugary buds and leaves. Keep it up!

you're a wise grower, yarddog!

Thanks guys. Next grow I will have to rig up a pulley system in the tent to lift the top up so I can get the res out to rinse out during changes. Right now it is next to impossible.

I'll continue to do what I'm doing and hope for the best at this point. Still hoping to harvest in 11 days....or so.

I have been using extra nitrogen during flowering. I think that is why I still have fan leaves growing out of my buds. There are colas like I see in pictures on here, but they are below the canopy. I still have fan leaves at the top of my plants growing above the colas. My biggest buds are about as wide as a coke can about 12-13 inches long.

When would be a good time to pull one of the buds off to give it a try? I was going to pull from the bottom of the plant, but those are definitely not even close as being ready. I was planning on pulling a small one and putting it in the oven at 175 for 10 minutes. Is that the best way to quick dry to test? Or should I just be patient and wait for harvest. I'm kind of curious of what the effect/taste is at different stages of the bloom.

Thanks guys. Next grow I will have to rig up a pulley system in the tent to lift the top up so I can get the res out to rinse out during changes. Right now it is next to impossible.

I'll continue to do what I'm doing and hope for the best at this point. Still hoping to harvest in 11 days....or so.

I have been using extra nitrogen during flowering. I think that is why I still have fan leaves growing out of my buds. There are colas like I see in pictures on here, but they are below the canopy. I still have fan leaves at the top of my plants growing above the colas. My biggest buds are about as wide as a coke can about 12-13 inches long.

When would be a good time to pull one of the buds off to give it a try? I was going to pull from the bottom of the plant, but those are definitely not even close as being ready. I was planning on pulling a small one and putting it in the oven at 175 for 10 minutes. Is that the best way to quick dry to test? Or should I just be patient and wait for harvest. I'm kind of curious of what the effect/taste is at different stages of the bloom.

I'm no expert on this one, but it seems to me that if you smoke one now it will not be anything like what you'll be smoking once the trichs have matured and the buds are dried and cured. But if you can't wait... I don't see it hurting anything.

Mr Mojo,
If you feel like pulling a bud go for it. It's your plant.
I've pulled a bottom bud and tested it before. I did it to see if it got me high, not so much for taste and the connoisseur test, but just for high. I put it on a 8x11 paper and set it over a light bulb on the lamp shade, and toss it every few minutes. If the test is good then the final product will be oh so much better!

If the trichs are clear you will get a head buzz but not anything for the body and it will be very weak in comparison to a dried and cured bud and taste like shit. Try to get a minor bud that has been spewed on by a larger bud it you want to taste it but don't judge it off that bud. I don't do it but I understand your need.

DON'T DO IT!!!

It'd be like sampling a green apple to see how sweet the rest of them are.

It is not going to be a clue until it dries and cures.

MR MOJO i'd listen to Roseman(you are funny by the way) he is right no bud you take and test will give you what you are looking for,well close ,but you will be tasting all the nutes unless you take it after your flush and it will taste so young since it has no time to cure it will just be dissapointing compared to your final product ,which by the look of things YUMMY,you are gonna LOVE looking GREAT.Also you might want to harvest in fazes ie. take off the top buds at harvest and give the lower ones a bit more time to mature and catch up to the ones you have already taken,just to let them even out.CHEERS

Thanks!! I decided to hold off a little while before testing. I will harvest some soon enough and test then. I am out of herb and it kills me to spend $420 for an ounce when I have several ounces within arm's reach.

If I harvest in phases does it affect the rest of the plant at all? If I remove the top colas the bottom little buds will continue to grow...or mature? I guess I thought I would pull the whole thing at one time, but doing it in stages seems like a better way if that works. If I opened up my canopy I think the lower bud sites would do so much better with a couple weeks.

primebadboy, got your PM but am unable to respond. Think I need another couple posts before I can send PM's. I did not get the filter there. I ordered the Mountain Air from an online hydro shop. Must say that I am very pleased with the performance since I can't smell a thing. I chose the Mountain Air because of their claim that the activated charcoal lasts so long compared to other brands that I looked at.

It kind of depends on whether you want to get the most from this grow or if you have another grow planned to quickly follow this one.

When you harvest from the top it will stunt the growth for about a week and maybe a little bit more and the then underbud starts doing it's thing. Kind of a lost week or so on the stunt part. It will also take a bit for the underbud to develop fully to a substantially larger bud but it might be worth it if you got the time.

Thanks!! I decided to hold off a little while before testing. I will harvest some soon enough and test then. I am out of herb and it kills me to spend $420 for an ounce when I have several ounces within arm's reach.

If I harvest in phases does it affect the rest of the plant at all? If I remove the top colas the bottom little buds will continue to grow...or mature? I guess I thought I would pull the whole thing at one time, but doing it in stages seems like a better way if that works. If I opened up my canopy I think the lower bud sites would do so much better with a couple weeks.

primebadboy, got your PM but am unable to respond. Think I need another couple posts before I can send PM's. I did not get the filter there. I ordered the Mountain Air from an online hydro shop. Must say that I am very pleased with the performance since I can't smell a thing. I chose the Mountain Air because of their claim that the activated charcoal lasts so long compared to other brands that I looked at.

You can do it, but when you harvest in PARTS, like take the top 1/3 of big buds, the entire plant goes into some kind of shock and quits growing a week to 2 weeks. i tried it and lsot patience, I could of been starting another grow.

I suggest waiting until the top third is ripe and ready, with amber tricks, and the caylxes are swollen and the pistals are not white, on the top third. Then harvest the entire plant and sort or separate the different parts and you will have diffrent highs. When you want to get zonked, and couch locked, smoke the tops from the top third. When you want a buzz to do a chore on Saturday morning, smoke the lower buds, popcorn buds and fluffy buds from the lower part of the plant that still had a few white pistals and cloudy trichs..

It kind of depends on whether you want to get the most from this grow or if you have another grow planned to quickly follow this one.

When you harvest from the top it will stunt the growth for about a week and maybe a little bit more and the then underbud starts doing it's thing. Kind of a lost week or so on the stunt part. It will also take a bit for the underbud to develop fully to a substantially larger bud but it might be worth it if you got the time.

It always amazes me how we think a like!

Not much to report this week. Things are moving along and I hope to harvest early next week. No pictures since things haven't changed much. Buds are filling in and getting really sticky. I would say I see about 10-20% amber trichs now on the buds. I'll take lots of pictures when I harvest.

I figured one of my mistakes I think. I have been looking at the trichs on the leaves rather than the buds because I didn't want to damage anything on the buds. Last night I was looking and was getting concerned that my trichs don't seem to be turning. I typically find a leaf about 1/3 of the way down, cut off a tip and bring it out to examine under the microscope. Last night I looked right at a bud and saw everything was milky and a few orange ones. The leaf from the same bud showed mostly clear with about 30% milky. Is this common? Will the leaves take longer to ripen? Do they ever get as amber as the buds?

I am starting to have an odor problem apparently. Yesterday I had a visitor and as soon as they walked in my house they mentioned smelling a skunk. I don't smell a thing. I guess I need to kick up the Ona a little and start closing up my tent at night so my carbon filter gets everything going out.

Bud trichs will be slighty ahead of the leaves. That is the source of the trichs and being closer they will be more mature. When I cut that little bit of bud I stick it on the top of a bowl, let it sit for a couple of hours to dry for burning and smoke that. Just can't bring myself to waste it. Does give a little different taste to that bowl but it's still good.

If your buds are that close it's time to watch them daily. What percentage amber are you going for?

I'm guessing 50/50? Not really sure. I'm worried that I might pull too early. I honestly do not know what the difference would be between cloudy and amber concentrations since I have never grown before. I understand the difference, but have no idea what I would prefer.

My plan right now is to do a res change on Friday and just run water and flora kleen and harvest on Tuesday. The pistils are still about 60% white which I am concerned about. I could wait longer, but afraid that my big buds might be ruined if I wait too long.

I'll take a couple bud pictures and post them when my lights turn on.

Back
Top Bottom