My First Grow - DNA Multi-Strain In Soil Under 400W HPS

Re: First grow, tora bora, chocolope and holy grail kush DNA 400w hps in soil

the pot size dont determine how big the plant will be, but the pot will be able support a plant up to that height, if the plant got bigger then it would need bigger pot due to been root bound, but a pot 1ft high will be big enough for a 2ft plant, if you grew the plant bigger then the roots would be getting packed in, but you could go bigger but the pot would not be big enough to stop them becoming root bound, then they would need to go into bigger pots like plants that are used as mothers, but you could finish a 2ft plant in a 1ft pot, this would be the maximum size for that pot before risking root problems

Tora Bora
2mxpla8.jpg

Chocolope
nd55e8.jpg

Holy Grail Kush
oaql4n.jpg

All looked well yesterday.
Checked in today and TBis showing slight yellowness around the edge of the leaves. I take its that will be the nutes coming through now, I'll keep an eye on it. None of the others showing any symptoms as of yet.

it could be a sign the nutes are a bit strong so i wouldnt mix it any stronger than you have, a small amount of yellow wont hurt but if you see it spreading to other leaves then lower the mix next time you feed

looking good so far m8, how close do you have your light and what is your room temp?

Light is approx 14 inch away and temps are usually around 25. highest have been 30 and lowest 22. should be adding an extractor fan soon so im hoping i can control the temps a bit better although i dont think they are too bad.

I try and aim for between 22 and 27 myself but it can get tricky sometimes. I find it is the humidity that is harder to control, guess i need to keep trying on that one lol

As i was saying about the biobizz keep the does low. I started my current grow at 2ml per 2L. I learned that one from others who started off with 2ml per 1L. I also like to give plain water between feeds. It has worked ok for me but all plants are different so just keep a close eye on them and they tell you what they want.

How often do you water?

I done the old "hand under the light for a minute and see if its hot on your hand" trick. and wasnt too hot, mind its only a 400w cooltube.
been watering as and when really, when soil was getting a bit dry, again prodding the soil with a stick to test if damp. usually fed every day or 2 just a little bit.

Watering was an issue for me tbh, doing the novice thing i just went out and got some potting soil for my grow. Got it home and upon inspection i seen it was special moisture retaining mix for hanging baskets :(

So today i went and got some J.I. and transplanted them onto new bigger pots lol.
I know I probs shouldnt but the other soil was really doing my head in, just hope the babys are ok.

i also needed a new PH tester so i got 1 today with a moisture tester on it aswell :)

Update on nutes...... leaves going green again :)
should be fine.

Is the tester for your soil or water? If that tester is like what I got it wont work for ph'ing your water I was told. I got one at HD "moisture/soil PH/ lumens and it was a waste of coin. The pool test strips turned out to stink too. Got a $15 digital PH meter online and a bunch of problems in my garden went away over night. :peace:

Is the tester for your soil or water? If that tester is like what I got it wont work for ph'ing your water I was told. I got one at HD "moisture/soil PH/ lumens and it was a waste of coin. The pool test strips turned out to stink too. Got a $15 digital PH meter online and a bunch of problems in my garden went away over night. :peace:

Its a soil tester. I'm fortunate enough to live where we have an excellent quality of water. I had the ph testing strips at first and was testing the water before i watered them at first, but tbh i dont think the quality or ph of my water will be an issue. Thanks for dropping in :peace:

You are rite there shmoke our water is fantastic for PH and as for quality... it sits around 40-45 ppm.
I have seen bottled water at 350 ppm. even tastes good from the tap

:peacetwo:

Another update!

I've just had a bash at topping the chocolope, just above 3 nodes high. I just cant help myself lol. Gonna try and do some LST on her and see how she goes.( give her a bit to settle obviously)
i chose the choco because i was told she can grow into a monster, and also if something does go wrong then its the on i don't mind losing.
fingers crossed :)

2mnhx86.jpg

Another quick question.... again i know lol

one of my tora leaves had a little rip/tare in the centre of the leave, i thought i maybe had ugs so ive been keeping a really close eye on them and making sure to keep the box as clean as possible. It's quite difficult because im using a confined area.
Anyway i have not found the slightest trace of anything bug-like so could it just be where cells have failed to form or something? is it a common thing for plants to grow leaves with little parts missing from the leaf? Or am I looking for something microscopic? :peace:

Also if someone can post the watering guide that in here somewhere i'd be grateful. ive read it already but cant seem to find it, or any other usefull watering tips/threads you have read would be good. Thanks

Hey Shmoke,

This is the way i do it.

have a pot of the same size as the one your plants are in, fill with the same medium. lift that pot and feel how heavy/light it is.

Pick up one of the pots you have a plant in and compare the difference in weight.
Once your planted pot is just about the same weight as the control pot then it is time to water/feed.

The reason I do this is because the roots need air to get into the root system and if the medium is always wet then that will not happen and you will do some real damage or even kill the plant.

Another way to think about it is.. where do the plants originally come from. I bet that climate don't get rain every day,

:peace:

a small plant in a big pot wont be using much of the water in the soil so it will stay wet a lot longer, smaller pots can dry out in a day such as a small clone pot, but when you got to 1 gallon and 3 gallon pots it holds a lot of water and if the plant is small it wont be drinking as much, i have put my biggest clone into a 3 gallon pot and watered it 5 days ago when transplanted and its still heavy so wont need any water, but the same size clones in my small pots about the size of a big mug, these dry out within 24 hours and let it go another 6 then water,

re: My first grow- DNA Multi-Strain in soil under 400w HPS

Update time!

Sorry i been away but here is how we stand.

I've been abusing the life out of them to be honest. The Tora Bora has been (attempted) fimmed(failed).

DSC_002518.JPG
DSC_002416.JPG
DSC_002219.JPG
DSC_000637.JPG
DSC_00997.JPG
DSC_01006.JPG

HGK had been topped and it turned into a fim? proper clean cut above the node and the two sides grew up as they would when topped, but the main stem also grew 2 new tops. It was also LST'd and i think i done too much so it went through a bad spell of not looking too good.
All seems well with It now though.
DSC_00957.JPG
DSC_00946.JPG
DSC_000343.JPG
DSC_000438.JPG
DSC_001027.JPG

The Chocolope was topped at 3 nodes i think, then the two tops were topped at one node. Again I know it probably shouldn't be done but I heard this grows very big so i really wanted to stunt the growth before switching to flower.

DSC_00967.JPG
DSC_000735.JPG
DSC_000832.JPG
DSC_003112.JPG

And I've also germinated two Sleestack seeds and flowering them from seed.

I'll get some more recent pictures up later as i think the most recent of these is around 1 week old now.

Peace!

re: My first grow- DNA Multi-Strain in soil under 400w HPS

Plants were put on 12/12 as of July 1st.

Pictures from today.

Holy Grail Kush

see where the topped part has kept on growing?

DSC_00886.JPG
DSC_008010.JPG
DSC_00896.JPG

Chocolope

One of her tops was getting a little taller than the rest so ive pulled it down for now to let the other catch up.
DSC_00878.JPG
DSC_00745.JPG

Tora Bora

Starting to get nice and strong again so ive just topped it as the fim didnt work last time. i think some of the sides are trying to come up top so i thought if i slow down the main top it will let the others catch up whilst sprouting two new tops.
Am I talking crap? please tell me if i am.

DSC_00736.JPG
DSC_00715.JPG

They have had about 3 feeds of biobizz grow over past couple weeks and been fine so upping to brow and bloom on next feed, due in a couple days.

Whats your thoughts on how these are growing bearing in mind the stress they been put under?

Back
Top Bottom