My First Grow: I Hope This Goes Well!

Ditto!

Put the watering can down. Far more seedlings are murdered by drowning than drought. It's fine. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I started my first grow right around the same time you did, and started my journal this afternoon. Subbed into yours so I can follow along and see if you can make mistakes before I do so I can learn from your mistakes instead of making them myself...

I can personally testify that overwatering breaks your heart.
My second indoor grow is in intensive care, partially/mostly due to over-watering.

If the fledgling room starts to look expensive, you might consider first year veg inside/flower outside.
Start vegging more as soon as the first plants go outside.
Potential massive outdoor yield with a long wait time for first buds. - but not expensive in equipment and electricity

Local laws and neighbor theft are worrisome with outside grows.

I started my first grow right around the same time you did, and started my journal this afternoon. Subbed into yours so I can follow along and see if you can make mistakes before I do so I can learn from your mistakes instead of making them myself...

I encourage you to make a grow journal, TexasFarmer.
A grow journal gets the BEST personalized advice.

Frustrating, another bad experience!

I am currently having to smoke this crap when I am currently growing a couple of good strains.

Part of the reason I have started growing is because of all the crap currently out there. The crap I recently picked up is just shit! I am so disapointed, it tastes like dirt, it smells like dirty socks and ive even had to dry it out because it was still wet! This is killing me, there hasnt been a decent strain around for months.

There has been a blitz on recently so trying to get your hands on that couchlock feeling is impossible.

I have you all tell me not to water and I havent for three days! (I have to say it has been hard not giving them a drink)

So when do I water?

Hi Boppa. It's simple: water when the pot is light when you pick it up. You'll soon get the feel of heavy after watering / light when it needs it. And / or you can stick your finger a couple of inches into the dirt and feel how dry the soil is. I know it can be difficult and counter-intuitive at first, but by not watering you are encouraging the roots to grow and allowing them plenty of oxygen. Depending on the medium and the pot size it could be 4 or 5 days between waterings.

When you do water, do it a couple of times. Water of course will find the quickest route which is often down the sides. So water, wait for run-off, leave it a minute or two and water again. That will ensure a thorough soaking.

It's just a touch of tough love for the babies.
:circle-of-love:

Day 23.

They are goming along slowly, it hard to believe that these little babies should be ready to harvest in 67 days. I just cant see it happening.
20150122_155540.jpg
20150122_155534.jpg

Health is more important than speed - and those look healthy.

The collective experience round here with autos is that they are rarely ready at the time the seed bank says. Always longer. I haven't grown autos indoors yet, but outside last summer my autos advertised to finish at 70-80 days went to about 100. "All good things..." and all that.

They are starting to find some momentum over the last few days and looking good

Thanks for your comments rado, I planted them straight into 125mm pots from seed. The reasoning was, I wanted to minimise the plantings.

And the light reads:-
SYLVAVIA
GRO-LUX
18W I GRO

The hydro shop said that they were the perfect spectrum for their growth

Thanks for your comments rado, I planted them straight into 125mm pots from seed. The reasoning was, I wanted to minimise the plantings.

SYLVAVIA
GRO-LUX
18W I GRO

It's a good enough spectrum for vegetation, it might keep them happy for a couple of weeks.
To grow all the way to harvest indoors will need much more wattage.

If you are planning to move them outside in a couple of weeks, this will be fine.

Anyone know how close to put T8 lights? 6 inches?

If/when you decide to go up in pot size, I recommend you just cut out the bottom off the current pots and place these part way down (20cm-ish) in the new larger pot's soil. This will reduce the trauma on the roots caused by re-potting and allow them to naturally expand into their new habitat. I'm sure people will argue for/against the importance/impact of re-potting.
My take on it: Nature does not re-pot. Nature has been doing things right for time immemorial. Monke...(me) see, me do :)
I always germinate my seeds (all species: tomato, chilli, canna etc.) in a 10cm pot (bottom cut away) with low nutrient soil placed in a 30cm pot of proper nutritious compost soil. This way the plant starts out with a nice mild environment and can move into nutrient rich soil at its own pace and never need re-potting.

SYLVAVIA
GRO-LUX
18W I GRO

As Rado says: spectrum looks ok, once into flowering however, you will need lots more power than afforded by one light, in order to get a half way decent yield. Assuming ofc this all takes place indoors.

Thanks monke.....I understand the reasoning however it concerns me that if I only cut the bottom of the pot away the roots will be still restricted.

Looking at them today, I am really happy with the growth. They are looking healty and shooting new leaves evey couple of days. They have taken their time to get comfortable!

The only concern I have is with the Northern Lights x Big Buds, the tip of one of the first leaves has dried up. It looks like heat damage, I only had them out in the natural light for 4 hours last Friday and that was at 3pm in the arvo! Other than that it looks fine.

The Pineapple Chunk is going strong, no issues at all. Off the advice, I have reduced the watering down to every 4 or 5 and its funny but that is the time that they started to take off!
20150127_163332.jpg
20150127_163304.jpg
20150127_163248.jpg

I will be growing indoors, it will be easier and safer in the end. I plan on having everything ready for them by the middle of February as I should have everything together for the grow room.

Its a costly little hobby to start up! But it will be all worth it in the end!

When considering the lighting over the long term, then looking at ease of maintaining the climate I am really leaning towards the LED's

:goodjob: Boppa. They are a good colour. I wouldn't worry at this stage about the leaf tip - looks from the photo as if it may have been resting on the soil (?). As long as the new top growth is good - and it looks it.

Potting on - Very interested to see OMs's take on it. That's something I do in my regular garden - but only to restrict growth on vigourous plants and herbs like mint in the beds and borders! We all find our own way as cannabis growers though and what works for each of us in each of our particular environments. It's what makes this hobby so fascinating.

Lights - As a first time indoor grower I went for LEDs too. I think they are fast becoming the default choice for us new kids on the block with their lower power consumption, ease of use and set-up, no heat problems and the great results you see on here from experienced growers. Go for the best quality you can afford. Sponsors here like Platinum and Twilight (and others) are delivering great lights. My Platinum P450 is really terrific and the service in helping me get it here to Greece was exceptional. But look around - I've read equally good things about other sponsors here.

Keep up the good, green work, Boppa.

Lookin' very nice Boppa, I am happy to see how nicely things are progressing for you! They definitely look very healthy and happy, I am sure they love the natural light as well!

I must agree with Mr Teddy on the lighting situation for sure... There are two norms that are starting to show between LED's and HID systems; that is that LED Lights tend to produce more resinous flowers, and HID systems (MH & HPS) result in larger yields... and in some cases much larger yields.

I will let you decide if you want quality or quantity based on why you are growing, but keep in mind with LED you will be paying about half what you would be with HID... I also think they look much more sleek, and are much cooler (Temperature wise) and easier to set up than HID systems.

Mr. Teddy listed some well known and quality LED manufacturers and I would say going with any of his suggestions would put you at an advantage. I would also recommend Mars-Hydro LED lights, I just started using one of there Mars II 700w systems and it is working wonders in my grow room... I am in love with it. Many 420 members have had wonderful success with Mars-Hydro (especially the Mars II series) and among their proven growing power, they are relatively cheap compared too other LED lights.

Obviously make the decision based on your needs, and definitely head Mr Teddy's advice. You're doing a great job sir!

Back
Top Bottom