My First Grow: I Hope This Goes Well!

Hey Boppa!! Welcome to 420magazine and congrats on getting your first grow and journal off the ground! You are very lucky to have someone as charismatic and talented as MrTeddy in your thread! You are off to a great start, and your little baby looks mighty fine.

I as well was browsing MrTeddy's thread when I stumbled upon his post asking for some extra input on your thread regarding your Grow Room, and I am here to offer my advice and ideas! Now, what I lack in formal experience, I believe I more than make up for with the amount of research I put into building grow rooms before I started growing... but I digress, lets get you goin!

THE GROW SPACE ::
Generally growers have two options here, 1 room for 1 harvest every 2-3 months OR, 2 rooms for perpetual harvests about every month. You can decide which set up you would like to run based on why you're growing Cannabis. I myself opted for a perpetual grow (not completely operational yet) because I am more interested in the actual growing than the outcome... Of course there are advantages to both, but you can decide how often you need to be harvesting.

4x4 will be far too small for 6 plants unless you opt for a Perpetual grow and you veg for no more than 3 weeks... And even then it could get crowded. You'd be better off running 2/3 larger plants in a 4x4 or even 2 huge plants with a Trellis (ScrOG). For 6 plants with a full Veg cycle I would recommend 4' x 6' or 4' x 8' depending on how much room you want to have to work in.

I completely agree with OMeWanCannabi on the White Paint / Mylar. I would make the investment in a roll of 2mil Mylar. I got 100sqft for $23 (The owners of the Hydro Store I go to love me though so I usually get fat discounts.. still shouldn't be that expensive) and have SO much extra for the future. Line the Floor with 2mil plastic lining and put a drip tray down.

A Grow room of this size can be built for relatively cheap, however it is all the electronics that you put inside of it that add up, and for a space that holds 6 plants things might get pricey.

THE LIGHTS ::
Like a small sun these will guide your plants to maturity, so make sure you achieve the optimal lighting per plant. You want to aim for 7,000 - 7,500 Lumens PER plant in your grow room. For 6 plants the optimal amount of lighting would be 42,000-45,000 Lumens in your grow space. That's about Thirty 23w CFL's / One 600w MH or HPS system / 1-3 LED Light Panels.

I would invest in the 600W HPS system if I was you, it is tried and proven and will easily cover your grow space. Electricity bills will be higher, but installing that many CFL's will be the biggest pain in the ass ever, and buying enough CFL hood systems (like the 6 bulb T5) will end up being more expensive than the HPS. (I will P.M. you a link to a full 600w HPS set up at the lowest price I could find).

Of course L.E.D.'s are always an option, but with a MUCH higher start up cost it probably isn't worth it (unless you are willing to drop a lot of money) when you can pull just as large (if not larger) yields with an HPS system.​

TEMPERATURE / VENTILATION ::
Growing Cannabis plants need lots of Co2 for vigorous growth, your ventilation system will play a huge part in how much C02 is readily available for your ladies. You will want no less than a 190 CFM Inline Duct fan for exhaust (and maybe a Carbon Filter since it seems stealth will play a roll in your grow) in your size Grow Room.

It isn't necessary to have an intake fan, as long as there is a vent hole near the bottom of your room, the Exhaust fan will do all of the work and you will have a Negative Pressure System in your grow room (which is exactly what plants want).

You will have to invest in (de)humidifiers and maybe some type of Temperature control on your own based on what the Grow Room readings are after it is set up. Once it is built, it might be useful to run it for a day without any plants to monitor the environment. Environment is THE MOST IMPORTANT factor in a successful grow room. Hands down.

Optimal Day Temperatures: 74* - 84*
Optimal Night Temperatures: 64* - 74*

Optimal Vegetative Relative Humidity: 50% - 80%
Optimal Flowering Relative Humidity: 30% - 45%

Installing the correct size Exhaust fan will play a HUGE roll in what your Temps/RH are.​

You are lucky to have a Carpenter as a son in this scenario, he should be able to put something like this together in no time at all, and I would imagine he will do a very good job at it. I have offered what I believe to be all the relevant information regarding the construction of a Grow Room. If you want more info, I would YouTube "Jorge Cervantes: How to Grow Like A Pro".. He builds an entire grow room in the video, very informational.

I wish you the best of luck in your Grow Room construction, please feel free to P.M. or post to my threads with questions. I will P.M. you that light here in a minute.

I popped over from MrT's journal to see if I could help, but I see that OMe and Max have already written great pieces. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I would only add that, from my experience with a 4x4 bloom room, you can run 6+ small plants in that space and harvest 2-3 ounces per plant. I wanted as much variety as possible, so that's what I did. Expect about one oz per square foot, or about a pound for a 4x4. I was using a 600W hps and now use a 540W LED.

You also need to think about working space. You need to be able to pull the plants out of the room to work on them, or have a space in the room for that purpose. If your room is going to stand alone, like a shed, you'll need at least another 4x4 area in it to give you room to stand in there, much less room to slide a plant somewhere. If you decide to run a perpetual, with a space to veg plants, I've decided the best design is a bloom room inside a larger multipurpose room, like a bloom room inside a garage. The vegging plants will need roughly as much space or more than your blooming girls, and you'll want an area for storing bulky stuff like pots and soil.

:Namaste:

I popped over from MrT's journal to see if I could help, but I see that OmE and Max have already written great pieces. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I would only add that, from my experience with a 4x4 bloom room, you can run 6+ small plants in that space and harvest 2-3 ounces per plant. I wanted as much variety as possible, so that's what I did. Expect about one oz per square foot, or about a pound for a 4x4. I was using a 600W hps and now use a 540W LED.

You also need to think about working space. You need to be able to pull the plants out of the room to work on them, or have a space in the room for that purpose. If your room is going to stand alone, like a shed, you'll need at least another 4x4 area in it to give you room to stand in there, much less room to slide a plant somewhere. If you decide to run a perpetual, with a space to veg plants, I've decided the best design is a bloom room inside a larger multipurpose room, like a bloom room inside a garage. The vegging plants will need roughly as much space or more than your blooming girls, and you'll want an area for storing bulky stuff like pots and soil.

:Namaste:

Thank you for the compliments and I 100% agree with you. I am curious how long you vegged your ladies for to keep 6 plants under control in a 4x4, because when I suggested no more than 3 weeks I was just guestimating.

Good call adding the info on work space and storage, I know that wasn't something I thought about until I have four 2 cubic feet bags of soil, 9 different nutrient bottles, 3 gallon jugs for watering and all of the little things you just need to have around. Very important that you find a way to smoothly integrate storage into your grow space.

I use 6 gallon pots of soil and grow them to 12-16 inches tall before flipping them. I like to train for 10-15 tops, and that will get me a couple oz per plant. They top out at 24-30 inches tall that way. From seed that'll take 45-60 days - from clone, it depends. :cheesygrinsmiley:

[Edit] But ... I should also add that I veg under CFLs placed within 2 inches of the tops, so I get really tight nodes. The plants will have a dozen pairs or more by the time I flip 'em.

I use 6 gallon pots of soil and grow them to 12-16 inches tall before flipping them. I like to train for 10-15 tops, and that will get me a couple oz per plant. They top out at 24-30 inches tall that way. From seed that'll take 45-60 days - from clone, it depends. :cheesygrinsmiley:

[Edit] But ... I should also add that I veg under CFLs placed within 2 inches of the tops, so I get really tight nodes. The plants will have a dozen pairs or more by the time I flip 'em.

Definitely, I am just used to Vegging from Clones so I never think about how it'll be double the time from seed. I prefer to Veg under CFL's as well, the node structure is extremely tight and I prefer that. I will definitely be vegging under CFL's for a long part of my Growing Career.

OMe, Max and Gray - tremendous posts. Thanks so much for responding to my request. :thanks::circle-of-love:

Boppa will get something of a surprise when the sun comes up in Melbourne. :rofl:

OMe, Max and Gray - tremendous posts. Thanks so much for responding to my request. :thanks::circle-of-love:

Boppa will get something of a surprise when the sun comes up in Melbourne. :rofl:

Any time friend! That's what 420mag is all about right?!? I know it is for me at least and honestly offering up information is just as fun as actually growing in my opinion.

And yeah he sure is!! I hope he got the info he was looking for!

WOW! Thanks for all the posts!

It will take me a while to go through them all, just from a glimpse there is a lot to take in.

The room isnt needed for a few week yet however, as it progresses I will keep you all posted. If all goes to plan I should have it ready in the next couple of weeks, stay tuned.

Great support Mr Teddy

Hey mate,

Looks like everyone has already given you a lot to think about, I just thought I'd throw in 2 bits of advice from a fellow Aussie. The best foliar spray you can get here is just diluted Seasol, don't worry about the american brand names for much since you wont likely find it here.

Also if you are going the whole grow room approach and you want to flower in our wonderful summer you will probably need air con, or minimum of air cooled hoods and huge 800+ CFM centrifugal inline fans. It's 41C outside today (105f) and my plants are at 23C (73f) canopy temp. You can't really do that with just fans.

:Namaste: Pbob

Yes, I was thinking about that piratebob. Being in Melbourne, as you would very well know, the weather goes from one extreme to another a number of times a day sometimes. As per the advice, I will get it built and then tune in the environment, I belive that way I will know its go to go for the plants.

Lucky I have a huge shed, the last couple it has been fairly humid in there, and the plants are loving it. This is ok for now but, as Max explained I am going to need to change that for Flowering.

Then as we get into winter heating is the priorty, what have I got myself into? It's all good, im having fun. My wife is now telling me that I pay more attention to the plants than her now!

Thanks again to you all for the advice, I will put it into pratice.

Keep you posted

WOW! Thanks for all the posts!

It will take me a while to go through them all, just from a glimpse there is a lot to take in.

The room isnt needed for a few week yet however, as it progresses I will keep you all posted. If all goes to plan I should have it ready in the next couple of weeks, stay tuned.

Great support Mr Teddy

You're very welcome, Boppa. It's how it works round here. :circle-of-love:

The team has given you solid gold advice. I've learnt loads too - Graytail's 6 plant strategy has really got me thinking.....
:cheer:

- Graytail's 6 plant strategy has really got me thinking.....
:cheer:

I really enjoy it. When the perpetual gets rollin' along, I get a little harvest every week or two - a little new sumpin sumpin all the time.

You don't get to play with the big boys and their big plants, but you can turn out a real beauty here and there. :cheesygrinsmiley: :blunt:

(and yes, I can't help it, I check all the time ... )

Cola Monster likes the big ones ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

DSC032785.JPG

Cola Monster's 2014 Greenhouse Grow Show

Aw a cute little sprout huh. good luck with the grow, it's nice to see you going simple with nutes and soil, seems organic to me :) I'll be peeking in from time to time if you don't mind ;) by the way I wouldn't give any nutes this young in its life, you said you've been giving a little kelp? probably unnecessary that soil should have everything it needs for a while, I never feed early vegging plants (but my soil is also very rich in minerals and organic matter high in NPK's for slow release with the help of beneficial fungi)

Boopa nice start they are looking nice an green :high-five:
Although if I was you I would let them pots dry through it may be just me but they were looking a lil wet :volcano-smiley: :Namaste:
Step away from the watering can, Sir. Step away from the can. :rofl:

Looking just perfect, Boppa. :goodjob:

Good advice :thumb: :biglaugh:

Back
Top Bottom