My First Outdoor/In Ground Grow

Terrapin Station

I've started to prepare for my first in ground grow now. I've dug 3 holes 4' wide and 3' deep.

I've learned the pros fill the bottom 1/3 with super soil and the remainder of the hole with a good cannabis specific soil.

I have excellent garden soil in my garden now with great drainage. What I'm really wondering is if it's possible to be successful growing weed in a garden like you would a tomato plant in fertile well drained soil?

I've started to prepare for my first in ground grow now. I've dug 3 holes 4' wide and 3' deep.

I've learned the pros fill the bottom 1/3 with super soil and the remainder of the hole with a good cannabis specific soil.

I have excellent garden soil in my garden now with great drainage. What I'm really wondering is if it's possible to be successful growing weed in a garden like you would a tomato plant in fertile well drained soil?
Yes

To get those huge plants I would start my plants indoor early and transplant outside once the hours got right. Planting early outside can induce flowering if it's done too soon. If they start to flower they could be stunted.

At the 38 latitude I would transplant outside around Cinco de Mayo (May 5th). By this time my plants started indoors could already be around a foot or so tall. You could circumvent that issue by using supplemental lighting. i have used solar powered lights that kick on at dark to keep the hours more on the vegetative side. They don't need much. Good luck and keep us posted.

Maybe it's just a romantic effort based on a recent reading of Teaming with Microbes. . . but everything I did when I filled these holes was directed towards growing microbes and not as much the plant herself in a compartmentalized way.

I put a few bark chips and some myco And some fungusey potting soil at the bottom of the hole where the clay started. And mixed some coir in with my garden soul up from there and put some straw from the coop with as little solid manure in a layer above this and nothing but garden soil in the top 12".

This all seemed right. Before transplanting I'll come back in with the plant in mind and work in some compost and other dark black stuff into the top 12" -18'. This all seems right based on my past experience with gardening and my intuition.

What do you think @Ramblinrose1965 and @Trump do you think I'm setting myself up for another lesson like I just learned about miracle grow? In one hand I want this to be "a rewarding experience” in my garden outside but on the other. . .

Maybe it's just a romantic effort based on a recent reading of Teaming with Microbes. . . but everything I did when I filled these holes was directed towards growing microbes and not as much the plant herself in a compartmentalized way.

I put a few bark chips and some myco And some fungusey potting soil at the bottom of the hole where the clay started. And mixed some coir in with my garden soul up from there and put some straw from the coop with as little solid manure in a layer above this and nothing but garden soil in the top 12".

This all seemed right. Before transplanting I'll come back in with the plant in mind and work in some compost and other dark black stuff into the top 12" -18'. This all seems right based on my past experience with gardening and my intuition.

What do you think @Ramblinrose1965 and @Trump do you think I'm setting myself up for another lesson like I just learned about miracle grow? In one hand I want this to be "a rewarding experience” in my garden outside but on the other. . .
I think with the great advice that everyone has posted and what you've already learned you don't really need much more advice!! 😄

I guess the best advice I could give would be what I had mentioned previous. Build your roots and the foliage will follow.

Now.....one thing you want to keep in mind. You are planting in an environment that is out of your control so you will need to be extra diligent about catching pests and disease early. In a tent I can easily remove anything that gets infected. Not so easy when it's in the ground.

I noticed you mentioned having a clay dominant soil. Next time chop up some of the clay at the bottom of the hole and mix it into your supersoil. Clay drains terribly but holds onto a lot of nutrient much better than fast draining soil.

R
I think with the great advice that everyone has posted and what you've already learned you don't really need much more advice!! 😄

I guess the best advice I could give would be what I had mentioned previous. Build your roots and the foliage will follow.

Now.....one thing you want to keep in mind. You are planting in an environment that is out of your control so you will need to be extra diligent about catching pests and disease early. In a tent I can easily remove anything that gets infected. Not so easy when it's in the ground.

I noticed you mentioned having a clay dominant soil. Next time chop up some of the clay at the bottom of the hole and mix it into your supersoil. Clay drains terribly but holds onto a lot of nutrient much better than fast draining soil.
Thanks man. Your comments are well received as always.

It's like I don't want the beauty and the magic of growing weed to leave. I've loved plants since I was young, when I became very knowledgeable about horticulture the magic kind of left and it became more generic and sterile.

I thought my past experience/intuition with starting vegetable seeds and house plants would make growing weed a piece of cake. If it wasn't for you my first plant might not have survived.

I think I'm looking for a place to land now 😂 but other than stumbling towards a huge thank you, I think what I'm saying is there needs to be a high degree of Mother Earth thinking in this for me as well as science. This is important to me man.

R

Thanks man. Your comments are well received as always.

It's like I don't want the beauty and the magic of growing weed to leave. I've loved plants since I was young, when I became very knowledgeable about horticulture the magic kind of left and it became more generic and sterile.

I thought my past experience/intuition with starting vegetable seeds and house plants would make growing weed a piece of cake. If it wasn't for you my first plant might not have survived.

I think I'm looking for a place to land now 😂 but other than stumbling towards a huge thank you, I think what I'm saying is there needs to be a high degree of Mother Earth thinking in this for me as well as science. This is important to me man.
You know how it is. Growing plants is not hard but they each have their likes and dislikes.

You already have basic knowledge as far as propagation, seed germination, etc. The details are where we come in.

***NOTE: I posted this in the wrong thread by accident.

I'm noticing a blotch on a leaf of the ew plant that is what I noticed on my first plant just as it got into trouble with a calcium def.

I'm in cannibis specific soil (Lush), and the plant is growing very well. But it's hard to not consider this blotch because of last time in the MG.

Any thoughts?
IMG_20240227_093443047~2.jpg

IMG_20240227_093500414_HDR.jpg

Might I ask, what did you learn with the miracle grow?

I'm noticing a blotch on a leaf of the ew plant that is what I noticed on my first plant just as it got into trouble with a calcium def.

I'm in cannibis specific soil (Lush), and the plant is growing very well. But it's hard to not consider this blotch because of last time in the MG.

Any thoughts?
IMG_20240227_093443047~2.jpg

IMG_20240227_093500414_HDR.jpg
Idk what that little miscolored patch is, I have a whole leaf like that, just call it a birthmark 👍 it hasn't seemed to effect the plant at all.

Might I ask, what did you learn with the miracle grow?

I guess I'm still learning . . . The staked plant (an Auto) in the picture is my first try growing. It's in 70% MG and 30% coir.

On one hand it looks like it's going to be a great harvest; on the other the MG didn't have enough NPK to keep up and as well it got too compacted over time even with the coir.

I'm growing in Lush soil mix with the second plant. It is growing vigorous and much faster in the first four weeks compared to the first one.

There are other variables including my rookie mistakes the first four weeks with my first plant. So far in terms of root/plant health I've learned MG is inferior for growing weed in terms of horticulture but I'm interested to compare the final yield of these two plants all things considered.

Welcome Terrapin Station to :420: I have grown 3 plants outdoors in 25-gallon pots and as said earlier make sure to space them wide apart. They will be giants if photos. Also, if you do not mind, I am going to follow along. Please let us know what you are going to grow as far as strains. :thumb:🍋

Welcome Terrapin Station to :420: I have grown 3 plants outdoors in 25-gallon pots and as said earlier make sure to space them wide apart. They will be giants if photos. Also, if you do not mind, I am going to follow along. Please let us know what you are going to grow as far as strains. :thumb:🍋

I've got the holes 8' on center. Hopefully this is acceptable?

Back
Top Bottom