My plant is dying 4 months old

dumbo1369

420 Member
Hey I need help my plant is 4 month old and I need help it was a small problem and then grew into a big problem i tried giving it a new bigger pot this is an indoor grow I'm having a hard time finding what kind of fertilizer I should use
Height: 16"inches
Strain: unknown/bag seed
Gender unknown

The problem is the top is is like burning and turning brown and curling and the bottom leave are wilting and a branch broke I took some pictures of it I was using two 20$ individual bulbs from home depot here is the info for that
feit-electric-grow-light-bulbs-br30-grow-ledg2-bx-77_600.jpg

And now I'm using one 20$ 2ft long one it's an ok light but if notice it's the led is alternates from a red and white led
Well let me know if you guys got anything I can do to save it also
I have one question if I took the plant outside even if it's been inside all its life will it kill the plant ?
I have attached all the photos of the plant

IMG_20230422_093036.jpg

IMG_20230422_093019.jpg

IMG_20230422_093008.jpg

IMG_20230422_092958.jpg

IMG_20230422_092906.jpg

IMG_20230422_092854.jpg

IMG_20230422_092844.jpg

sigh. where to start.

those bulbs won't cut it. the media looks like trouble. it could use a way larger pot much earlier. no idea what if anything you are feeding the poor thing. let us know when and how much you are feeding. at 4 months you should be long done.

in short we should refer you back to some basics.

edit : it also looks a bit dry. that's not its' only worry though. just the start.

This is exactly what happened to seven plants in my last grow. I blamed the soil. The only thing I could think of was messed up PH. I have one in my new grow doing this, but the other 6 are ok.

Well, you may not want to hear this, but your light is totally insufficient, it's 14 watts!!! You need about 30 watts per sq. ft. A 16 inch plant at 4 months is not good! You could put the plant outdoors, providing you have a long enough photoperiod that it doesn't go into flower. If you move it oudoors "harden" the plant, by putting it in filtered sunlight for several days before putting it in direct all day sunlight. I can't tell what media you're growing in, kinda looks like coco, which should never be allowed to go dry. It looks like it went real dry at some point, resulting in crispy leaves, or a lot of roots were damaged in the transplant. What you're growing in will have an impact on what nutes you should be using and how often. Whatever nutes you use, go easy, because the roots, if damaged, won't be able to pull the necessary nutes and a full blast of nutes will accelerate the damage.

I need help my plant is 4 month old and I need help it was a small problem and then grew.....
Tell us more about whether you are fertilizing. If you are let us know what is being used and the schedule.

Also what the plant is being grown in. Kinda looks like coco coir of some kind. Let us know what it is and if possible tell us the name of whatever you bought.

The more you mention the easier it is for the group to help fine tune your choice of fertilizer brands, the different blends and what sort of schedule to follow. The same goes for the soil or soil-less mixture you are putting in the pot.

The more details the easier it will fall into place.

I was using two 20$ individual bulbs from home depot here is the info for that
There are two bulbs in the light fixture that you showed earlier. Even if you got two fixtures for a total of 4 LED bulbs it still would not be enough at 28 watts to properly light up a plant that size.

I am somewhat familiar with your light. My son has one of those and another discount similar light for his houseplants. The lights can help on cloudy days but they barely do that.

Keep in mind what @Phytoplankton is mentioning about needing approx 30 watts per square foot of the lights footprint. You do not have enough light for a plant even half the size of the one you are growing. It would be possible to walk into just about any decent grow shop and buy a better quality LED light. I know it will cost more but the increase in wattage will be worth it.

It has been awhile since I looked at an HTG catalog and checked their lights in one of the stores but you could buy two 2 foot fixtures with each one fixture holding two LED tubes. Hang them approx 6 inches apart and you will get a footprint of a bit over 24 inches by 18 inches or a bit over 3 square feet. With that you will get 80 watts which is close to the recommended 30 watt per sq ft. And the cost will be about $80 which comes out to $1 per watt versus the $1.40 per watt for the light you currently have.

Or buy one fixture for about $40 and get 40 watts and still be about $1 per watt. It will be enough for a smaller plant. Keep the light you have and use it to supplement the new fixtures when the plant gets larger or is in flower.

Well, you may not want to hear this, but your light is totally insufficient, it's 14 watts!!! You need about 30 watts per sq. ft.
First thing I thought of, low wattage.

4 Months! :oops:

Is this your first attempt? Or have you pulled something from these lights before?
I think it's best to have a long decent chat with the people here to indeed get a 101 on growing the weeds.
And prepare a plan and budget within your options, indoor growing requires a couple of things to do it well.
A proper light for sure, you could grow some weed under those you have as I've seen people use it in closets with trimmed autos well it's like growing microgreens.. and for weed very much not worth the effort and time. As it's very difficult to pull that off and it's a very small harvest, a bit of a space and a decent light will instantly reward you with so much more.

Can we get some more context? is that plant in a tent? As we need a room where we can have control over the humidity and ventilation.
What's the size? how many do or how big do you want to grow? as that way you can calculate the proper size and wattage of the LED and how many pots and size.. and well anything is possible if you got four months to grow you could turn one plant into a square meter if you'd like, or you could do four on that size and have grown and harvested them already by 4 months. or two on half that size.. depends on the options you've got.

And I would definitely check out the threads with SIP in the title over at the grow journals.
It's a type of pot you can buy or build yourself very easily as the principle is so simple, where you have a reservoir you fill with water and nutes under your soil & plant. and this supplies the soil and plants. I've just completed my first grow with one and it's everything I always wanted and I've been trying a lot of pots the past years, regular pots, air pots, smart pots, different kinds of hydro pots...there's no more guesswork, is the plant too moist? is the plant too dry?
If the reservoir gets empty you fill it up again, that's it. And except for the first time you do not water the soil at all.

The whole process was remarkably uninvolved and very clean as there's no run off water to deal with.
And the results are similar to very involved grows with tons of bits and bobs.
I would definitely recommend as it's how you always imagined growing weed would be like, I just put the plant under a light and put water in it and it will grow right? It's exactly that, the main difference is you're pouring the water down a tube and not splashing it all over the soil, and it tells you when it needs more water as you can see it if you make a level or shake the bucket and hear no more water splashing in the res. And the plant can survive long on an empty res as well, unless she's in mid flower then you'll want to keep it topped up as she'll be slurping gallons.

Soil is also important, weed can be grown in many soils, but there are some on the market it does not do well in, don't buy those, but they are usually for very specific other plants, in most general potting soils it does okay, but there are also some that are tailored for it.

And you need to fine tune your water and nutes...find out how hard or soft the water you are using is.. as a lot of my growing woes disappeared when I tackled that.. my tap water + nutes required bucketloads of PH- and was just a mess that made many plants unhappy, now I use distilled water + nutes, and use cups of my tapwater to raise the PH and mineral content of my mix to the desired point, no ph- or + involved and very little complaints from the plants.
Of course depending on your local water supply you could be totally fine. Just saying also a point to look out for and fine tune when you run into growing woes.

But first would be the light, as that's clearly an issue.

Hey I need help my plant is 4 month old and I need help it was a small problem and then grew into a big problem i tried giving it a new bigger pot this is an indoor grow I'm having a hard time finding what kind of fertilizer I should use
Height: 16"inches
Strain: unknown/bag seed
Gender unknown

The problem is the top is is like burning and turning brown and curling and the bottom leave are wilting and a branch broke I took some pictures of it I was using two 20$ individual bulbs from home depot here is the info for that

And now I'm using one 20$ 2ft long one it's an ok light but if notice it's the led is alternates from a red and white led
Well let me know if you guys got anything I can do to save it also
I have one question if I took the plant outside even if it's been inside all its life will it kill the plant ?
I have attached all the photos of the plant

IMG_20230422_093036.jpg

IMG_20230422_093019.jpg

IMG_20230422_093008.jpg

IMG_20230422_092958.jpg

IMG_20230422_092906.jpg

IMG_20230422_092854.jpg

IMG_20230422_092844.jpg
The soil or whatever that is looks as dry as a desert 🌵. If it’s warm enuff but you’ll need to harden it off first. Imo CL🍀

This is my first time
Which is fine, as we all have been there.
And not a difficult guess as you only got suspicious after 4 months a timeframe most indoor growers have grown and harvested their plant.
And frankly not a bad sign, as she's technically still alive even with the suboptimal light and probably feeding conditions, so you might have some green energy to cultivate..

What did you do? did you try changing her to daylight?

If you're willing to try it again with a small investment, you could have a little section where you can repeatedly grow weed well or something else as well.

-Light
-Tent
-Circulation fan
-Exhaust fan & carbon filter
-Timers for light and fans
-Hygro/temp meter
-Nutrients (maybe a starter kit? and possibly some cal-mag)
-A right sized pot and I would definitely look at making a SIP pot (self irrigated planter) or use a bucket with the grobucket insert. As it takes all the feeding and watering difficulties out of the equation, I'd say it's a must for beginners and frankly for anyone else as well as the process is so uninvolved and the plant is so happy.

The question is 1 or 2 plants or more as that will dictate space and cost, bigger light, bigger tent.
Any electricity concerns are negated by the price of buying weed :)

Maybe have a look at grow tent kits a 2,3x2,3 one or so? that already ticks most items off the list and just focus on one plant filling & flowering that space.. getting a seedling, couple of weeks of vegging at 18 hours and then 8-14 weeks of flowering depending on the strain.

Back
Top Bottom