My plant is too tall

Kartoffelpuffer

420 Member
I am new to growing and to forums, so if I am doing something wrong please let me know. This is my first time growing. I have gained some valuable knowledge so far, but I have also made some mistakes, like trying to grow 3 different strains at one time in a 2x4 tent, hence my problem.

I have 3 plants from L to R:

Himalayan Gold (photo fem); GDP (auto fem); Super Silver Haze (Photo fem)

While all of them are supposed to be female, my auto has seeds. I am trying to let the seeds mature, but they are taking forever and in the meantime, my Himalayan Gold is out of control and is too tall for my tent. They are all still in veg. What would happen if I topped the plants where the line is and what do I need to do to help the plant recover from such trauma before switching them to flower when my auto is finished in hopefully 2 weeks.

Growing medium: Amended FFOF/Happy Frog super soil in 7 gal cloth pots
Lighting: Marshydro 250 18/6

I use an aquarium pump and air stone with filtered tap water in a 5 gal bucket For 24hrs, I alternate between this and a molasses, liquid seaweed, and URB tea that I brew for an additional 24hrs, every other brew I add worm castings and compost.

I do not check ppm or run off and I do not intend to start. I do have a 6in fan and carbon filter set up.

Attachments

• 2FE79970-60E3-480A-AE7E-D4A3D1F3E8C6.jpeg
    2FE79970-60E3-480A-AE7E-D4A3D1F3E8C6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 189
  • 94049F00-C75C-45D1-9FE6-9E19AFCF4BED.jpeg
    94049F00-C75C-45D1-9FE6-9E19AFCF4BED.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 188
Supercrop! @InTheShed has a great thread one this.

I believe supercrop is done mostly to photos, intheshed may be able to shed some light on autos and supercropping

How long does it take to notice that it is working? Could I do a branch or 2 now and then wait a few days to do more? I really hope this auto hurries up. I planted these on March 20th.

Super crop will show over night. Can tie the bend back to the same stem lower down how I do it.

Your plants are too tall when they are IN the lights. You have a ways to go and they are going to get there. So IF it was me and it usually is, wait to supercrop when the plants are about 6-10 inches away from the lamps (if LED).

On a side note, if you AUTO has seeds its a good likely chance the rest of them will also have seeds.

Next time be on the lookout for male bits on the flowers. Sucks but its part of the challenge. The person that made the seeds for that one took short cuts. I would avoid that "breeder" in the future.

That Himalayan Gold plant looks GREAT. I'd steady the coarse until you actually need to do something. Which isn't right now.

Supercrop! @InTheShed has a great thread one this.

I believe supercrop is done mostly to photos, intheshed may be able to shed some light on autos and supercropping
The auto is the one in the middle, the other 2 are photo. I had the brilliant idea that I would grow the auto while the photos were vegging. Which would have been fine except the auto harmed and has seeds. As I am a tightwad and spent most of my life smoking seedy weed, I thought this would be a great opportunity to harvest

The seeds from the hermie AUTO are not worthy to grow out unless its all you got and even then.....

I was brought up smoking Mexican Brick Weed in the 60s and 70s. First seedless I ever tried was Mauwi Wowie. lol

The problem with Hermie specially that AUTO is that its likely now a dominant trait which is very weird. You propagate that the next round can ruin a good crop. Sometimes its not worth keeping once you see that happening.

I run autos in my VEG tent like you did there, and move the PHOTO plants to their own flower room.

Super crop will show over night. Can tie the bend back to the same stem lower down how I do it.

Your plants are too tall when they are IN the lights. You have a ways to go and they are going to get there. So IF it was me and it usually is, wait to supercrop when the plants are about 6-10 inches away from the lamps (if LED).

On a side note, if you AUTO has seeds its a good likely chance the rest of them will also have seeds.

Next time be on the lookout for male bits on the flowers. Sucks but its part of the challenge. The person that made the seeds for that one took short cuts. I would avoid that "breeder" in the future.

That Himalayan Gold plant looks GREAT. I'd steady the coarse until you actually need to do something. Which isn't right now.
Thanks! Yeah I know about the seeds, but I’m cheap so that’s cool. I will save them and grow them too. I did not see any male bits on them. I understand they can be hard to see, so I will inspect it when I harvest. It never really occurred to me to check as they were all supposed to be fems. So now have 3 strains of fem seeds with the chance to be autos. I see some fun genetic projects in my future.

I am surprised at how easy it is to grow almost like it’s a weed or something. Seriously, after reading a bunch of garbage on the internet, I was scared to grow because I always considered myself to have a black thumb.

To my surprise the auto looks good too.

Attachments

• 0B35CCA5-2293-4DB7-B34D-587AABEA3625.jpeg
    0B35CCA5-2293-4DB7-B34D-587AABEA3625.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 137
Welcome to the jungle...looks like time to bend based on the feedback here. Im hesitant to grow more than one strain when I had three different phenos grow #1 and four my grow #2. No complaints on the variation...makes each plant more interesting. Good luck with taming the group.
I didn’t know. Live and learn. I also know not to blindly trust feminized seeds.

That's true, but it's not the only reason to supercrop. More tops and bigger harvests are why I do it to almost every photo I grow.

True that... when I super crop the lower flower turn up and get bigger. So instead of just 1 top flower we get many and they are all bigger. I'm lazy I don't like to mess with plants unless I have to which is 75% of the time depending on VEG time.

I'm in trouble now I've got 3' tall VEG plants outside. Gonna come inside today. I wont have much room for stretch I'll be cracking and tying and wiring ... be like the wild west show in a minute.
Yippy-yi-yo-tie-eeeeeee - "Rope a dope" style. Run em around till the fall over. lol

CowboyLasso.jpg

The seeds from the hermie AUTO

You are making an assumption. Because:

I did not see any male bits on them.

From the size of the other plants, I'm guessing that they're sexually mature. Such plants do tend produce flowers before the light schedule is changed. Cannabis gardeners call them "preflowers," but they're just... flowers. Hermaphrodism is not completely unknown with either Himalayan Gold or Super Silver Haze. I've seen it with SSH. And, a few years ago, I had a Jack Herer (many consider this to be a "sister strain" to SSH, due to the genetics) and a Kali Mist in a grow space, in a lengthy vegetative/growth phase situation. No buds, just the usual "pre"flowers. Imagine my surprise when I started finding a few seeds on the floor, lol. I ended up culling both, because of that and because I had completely let the grow get away from me, and the grow space was completely full. But it was an educational experience.

Speaking of full, that grow tent looks to be pretty well stocked. Are you going to have room for a major supercropping operation? That "trades the vertical for the horizontal," so to speak, which means that a supercropped plant will generally occupy a larger area than it did before the mangling. It'll be shorter, of course. I suppose you could do a "double supercrop" (so your branches will look like capital Ns). That gets a bit complicated, and you'll probably need to support the branches, at least until they grow into their artificial shapes. Which is completely doable, of course. However, if you provide the support by tying onto the roof supports of your tent, and like to at least occasionally move your plants around... it becomes a RPITA. You might almost be ahead to top them as you had originally thought to do, IDK.

You are making an assumption. Because:

From the size of the other plants, I'm guessing that they're sexually mature. Such plants do tend produce flowers before the light schedule is changed. Cannabis gardeners call them "preflowers," but they're just... flowers. Hermaphrodism is not completely unknown with either Himalayan Gold or Super Silver Haze. I've seen it with SSH. And, a few years ago, I had a Jack Herer (many consider this to be a "sister strain" to SSH, due to the genetics) and a Kali Mist in a grow space, in a lengthy vegetative/growth phase situation. No buds, just the usual "pre"flowers. Imagine my surprise when I started finding a few seeds on the floor, lol. I ended up culling both, because of that and because I had completely let the grow get away from me, and the grow space was completely full. But it was an educational experience.

Speaking of full, that grow tent looks to be pretty well stocked. Are you going to have room for a major supercropping operation? That "trades the vertical for the horizontal," so to speak, which means that a supercropped plant will generally occupy a larger area than it did before the mangling. It'll be shorter, of course. I suppose you could do a "double supercrop" (so your branches will look like capital Ns). That gets a bit complicated, and you'll probably need to support the branches, at least until they grow into their artificial shapes. Which is completely doable, of course. However, if you provide the support by tying onto the roof supports of your tent, and like to at least occasionally move your plants around... it becomes a RPITA. You might almost be ahead to top them as you had originally thought to do, IDK.
I moved the auto

Probably not, but I am going to try anyway. If it looks like it is not going to work, I am just going to top them, wait a little for them to recover and flip to flower.

Update! After a rough recovery of my Himalayan Gold she is on the rebound and flowering. Some of the branches rebounded from my attempt at super cropping. Yeah! I will also have more tent space because I am pretty sure the Super Silver Haze that was supposed to be a feminized seed turned out to be a male. Boo.

The tent is a mess and I am not really sure how to clean it up right now.

Attachments

• 9F7F809F-1972-48CB-950B-FA76215B7286.jpeg
    9F7F809F-1972-48CB-950B-FA76215B7286.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 98B38A9B-36D4-4D26-8FC2-697799192519.jpeg
    98B38A9B-36D4-4D26-8FC2-697799192519.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
I will also have more tent space because I am pretty sure the Super Silver Haze that was supposed to be a feminized seed turned out to be a male. Boo.

I hope you didn't find out too late. On the other hand, that might make an interesting cross, lol.

I hope you didn't find out too late. On the other hand, that might make an interesting cross, lol.

It is too late. I had an auto in there as well and it went to seed. I assumed it harmed, but when I harvested I did not see any male bits. I let these veg for about 3 months waiting for the auto to finish and apparently the Super Silver Haze had already pollinated the whole tent before showing these signs when I flipped to flower. If that is even possible. I have no idea. This is my first real grow with purchased seeds that were supposed to be feminized.

Back
Top Bottom