Need help! Some wrong with my plant: Can you spot it?

Sorry to confuse, but technically you are overwatering the bottom, underwatering the top and watering the container too often.
Imagine your container is a reservoir. The level of the lake inside that container is called the water table. When you began this and were watering to runoff each time, that was correct... but watering again when the top only had dried out, just added to the water table that was still sitting there. Since the lower half was still saturated, it didn't take a lot of water to reach runoff when you watered too early, since all you really needed to do was water the top.
The praise position is how the plant reacted before the lower roots needed to protect themselves, and from that point on, the plant was able to use less and less water. The plant with damaged lower roots could never again raise the water pressure enough to raise up the leaves as you saw it do in the beginning. You could see that the plant seemed to need less water in the amount of water it took to reach runoff... and you assumed that the plant was not needing as much and started to taper down, but even so, that water table just continued to rise between each watering to runoff, never allowing the lower roots to see oxygen.
No, the plants will not die from you drying out the roots. You will think you are surely killing your plant, but until it actually droops over at the trunk, it still has water. You will think your container is as dry as the sahara desert, yet your plant will seem to be happy. It will take some effort to change this mindset, but to grow a weed you have to be a little bit cruel to be kind. This is a weed, and it thrives in adverse conditions and does not do so well when pampered. Look up the lift a pot method, and realize that this is a thing, because it works. You absolutely must establish a clear wet/dry cycle with this weed in order to get maximum growth and you absolutely can not drown the lower roots.

This plant is salvageable though? Just let it dry out for 12 days? Or more? And it's not gonna die. Lright I'm down, I will not water it at all. Thanks for the help and I hope your advice works out.

I dont think that it will take 12 days... but do this just in case. Give it 5 days... if it is not light at the bottom yet, give it 2 cups of water spread out evenly across the top. Do not go for runoff. Give it several more days, waiting for that bottom to dry out, but don't go more than 5 days without getting at least some nutrients in there via the top set of roots. You will be fine if you can get those lower roots dried out even once, and then establish a regular wet/dry cycle. Good luck.. and give a shout here to the crowd if you start getting concerned... many people use my watering methods around here.... that is why I was called in. I am hoping for your success!

So you come along in a couple of days and stick your finger in the top and determine it to be dry. Lifting the container you feel some water weight still in the bottom, so you decide not to overwater, and you again give a certain humanly determined amount of water, not saturating the medium to runoff, and call it good.
You are underwatering.
Because of the nature of your underwatering, the lower roots have not seen oxygen for a long long time. Weeds put themselves into survival mode when the roots get in trouble like this, and a protective layer is grown onto those lower roots so as to survive the flood. This drastically restricts the ability of these lower roots to uptake water and the proper water pressure can never develop in the xylem (the trunk) and this results in a constant unhappy droop that you have been seeing for some time and the only thing keeping this plant going at the moment is the periodic nutrients that can come in thru the upper roots the day that you water.
Man lol. The entire time I was reading this thread I was surprised nobody told him he was underwatering. I kept wondering why is he using measurements for watering, it's a water till a good 20% runoff sorta deal. Very good detailed sumup @Emilya

Maybe the plant abuse chart could use some updates from you guys. ;)
39 pages of underwatering results vs 100 overwatering.
A bit of info that should be spread. :peace:

Is it all that uncommon to measure your watering vs 20%runoff?
Does it affect all substrate the same? Coco dries out fast.

So I've been following as you said and not watering, I have until Sunday and I'll give it one cup. I'm also using the lift method to make sure I can separate the different weight in the cycles (wet/dry). What I'm wondering is if the over watering is what caused my leaves to grow like this. It's continued pretty constantly and it's to the point that it's turning into a big knot on the top of my plant. Can I expect this to stop once the pot dries out more and gains a better cycle?

Another question I was wondering is if the leaves being too dry can cause the curly nature of the leaves grown? I was reading what you said and the tutorials, and read that since the roots are drowning they are not providing water to the rest of the plant. This including leaves. I feel them and they kind of feel dry and some even make a crispy crackle once rubbed. Should I do occasional mists on the leafs to provide them with moisture? If they excrete moisture, and the roots don't provide moisture, then will the leaf dry out?

Attachments

• IMG_20190208_133151.jpg
    IMG_20190208_133151.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20190208_133140.jpg
    IMG_20190208_133140.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 25
Maybe the plant abuse chart could use some updates from you guys. ;)
39 pages of underwatering results vs 100 overwatering.
A bit of info that should be spread. :peace:

Is it all that uncommon to measure your watering vs 20%runoff?
Does it affect all substrate the same? Coco dries out fast.
I grow in coco and I never have any runoff, start to finish. If you're in coco, give them just enough , so that the pot will be lite again 24 hrs. later. Once a day, every day. No run off.

So I've been following as you said and not watering, I have until Sunday and I'll give it one cup. I'm also using the lift method to make sure I can separate the different weight in the cycles (wet/dry). What I'm wondering is if the over watering is what caused my leaves to grow like this. It's continued pretty constantly and it's to the point that it's turning into a big knot on the top of my plant. Can I expect this to stop once the pot dries out more and gains a better cycle?

Another question I was wondering is if the leaves being too dry can cause the curly nature of the leaves grown? I was reading what you said and the tutorials, and read that since the roots are drowning they are not providing water to the rest of the plant. This including leaves. I feel them and they kind of feel dry and some even make a crispy crackle once rubbed. Should I do occasional mists on the leafs to provide them with moisture? If they excrete moisture, and the roots don't provide moisture, then will the leaf dry out?
No, you should not mist, the problem is too much water. This is a weed. Quite trying to baby it. Dry out those lower roots and the plant will once again be able to get enough suction to lift up the water into the trunk and into the branches, and your leaves will all start to reach up to the light. Yes your leaves are dry... they are not getting water. Is it a problem that needs to be fixed by misting? No. Fix the larger problem first. Fix the roots and your proclivity to over water by watering too often and this plant will get healthy.

I'm with Emilya on the watering. I flood my plants right out when I feed or water and then they don't see another drop until they are as dry as a popcorn fart. Sometimes my plants will even show a little droop just before watering. My plants tell me when to water and not the other way around. Works well! Happy growing.

So as my opener states my plant is in some rough shape, every morning I go in, switch the light on and my plant is hanging there looking sad and I seriously cannot for the life of me figure it out. I've posted on this same plant about a week ago and still never got any answers that solved the problem or explained why !y leaves were twisting almost like a corkscrew.

The corkscrew leaves I read COULD be from excellerated growth but how can I be sure when it looks like it's unhappy? So again visual sign corkscrewed leaves, leaf is dry-ish (how do you know what a leaf is suppose to feel like in terms of moisture vs. dry?) When I take it out of the room and look t it in normal light it is fairly green as you can see in the picture. No tip burn, or hooked tips. No discolouration. So again! I'm left to believe it is something going on in the soil.

I'm using a soilless mix, fert I have on hand is green planet A/B formula, Cal/mag by GH, and some pH test kit also from GH.

Im using a 1200w led I have a blower fan pushing cool fresh air into the room and a fan. Plus there are fans in the LED light itself. It's light cycle is 18-6 (on/off) I usually water once a week as the soil really didn't seem dry enough to have me think I needed to.

The plant was started from seed January 1, 2019. My pH is around 6.6-6.7 going in and running a TDS of 250. My nutrient chart was distilled/spring water (bottled) for the first two weeks, after that I began giving it Cal/mag and then veg formula at about quarter strength. I feed twice, then flush every third watering to remove any salts. I was giving it 3-4 cups of water at first but because I thought it could be overwatering I started bring it down to 1-2 cups every 2-3 days. Now I touch the leaf and it kind of makes a crispy leaf sound (not actually gripping the leaf or damaging it) so now I'm wondering if I'm underwatering?

It might help to know this is a blueberry indica, I read bout the strain and found out that it's a outdoor strain. Wondering if this could be a thing that I'm growing indoors (the seed was started indoor).

I'm wondering if it could be my light maybe being too strong? I switched it from a t5 four strip two foot that put out 10,000 lumes.to a 1200w led. I just transplanted it about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have bigger pots but when I look through the drain holes I see no roots poking out the bottom to tell me it's root bound in any way?

This is about all the info I can provide. I just want to fix her and grow but it's jusst seemingly impossible to get it to smile and be happy ive seem her in praising position once throughout this grow. So getting worried.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

(PS the picture showing a smaller plant was the same plant as the other pics about a week ago.)

light and water

Sorry to confuse, but technically you are overwatering the bottom, underwatering the top and watering the container too often.
Imagine your container is a reservoir. The level of the lake inside that container is called the water table. When you began this and were watering to runoff each time, that was correct... but watering again when the top only had dried out, just added to the water table that was still sitting there. Since the lower half was still saturated, it didn't take a lot of water to reach runoff when you watered too early, since all you really needed to do was water the top.
The praise position is how the plant reacted before the lower roots needed to protect themselves, and from that point on, the plant was able to use less and less water. The plant with damaged lower roots could never again raise the water pressure enough to raise up the leaves as you saw it do in the beginning. You could see that the plant seemed to need less water in the amount of water it took to reach runoff... and you assumed that the plant was not needing as much and started to taper down, but even so, that water table just continued to rise between each watering to runoff, never allowing the lower roots to see oxygen.
No, the plants will not die from you drying out the roots. You will think you are surely killing your plant, but until it actually droops over at the trunk, it still has water. You will think your container is as dry as the sahara desert, yet your plant will seem to be happy. It will take some effort to change this mindset, but to grow a weed you have to be a little bit cruel to be kind. This is a weed, and it thrives in adverse conditions and does not do so well when pampered. Look up the lift a pot method, and realize that this is a thing, because it works. You absolutely must establish a clear wet/dry cycle with this weed in order to get maximum growth and you absolutely can not drown the lower roots.

I don't think I will ever grow organically or in soil, but that way of thinking is extraordinary Emilya. Thank you!

Not to be critical like the ass wipes on Strainly! Sounds like to much water and maybe your light could be to close. Lighting that is to close can cause stunted growth. Not an expert like some of the pseudo experts on Strainly.
Strainly is great. I mixed it up with Rollitup

light and water

This was the most unusable answer I've come across. This site is for information telling someone simply "light and water" is super broad and doesn't really narrow down anything. Lol I mean of course it would have to be at least one of those right? I mean those are really the only things I give the plant that would effect it negatively. So just keep in mind that people come here for experienced growers to educate them not leave them with more questions. So try narrowing down and explaining your idea. Something most people learn in grade 10 English class.

No, you should not mist, the problem is too much water. This is a weed. Quite trying to baby it. Dry out those lower roots and the plant will once again be able to get enough suction to lift up the water into the trunk and into the branches, and your leaves will all start to reach up to the light. Yes your leaves are dry... they are not getting water. Is it a problem that needs to be fixed by misting? No. Fix the larger problem first. Fix the roots and your proclivity to over water by watering too often and this plant will get healthy.

Emilya had it pretty good an down. I followed your suggestion and today I went in the room smelt the skunkiest smell ever from a plant only 6-7" tall and the leafs were praying and looking happy. So I decided to LST her and take some of the bottom leaves off. Exposing the new growth sites. Tuesday I'll water till run off and hope that it stays happy. Also weird thing happened to my water supply, I checked it before I gave its feeding after the 5 days you suggested and found the pH raised from 6.4 to 7.8!!!! I don't understand how this happened until I realise that I switched from using distilled bottled water to spring water. I guess spring water is crazy high pH and ppm. So scraped the water got new stuff mixed my nutes to a proper pH range of 6.29 and ppm of 460. And as I said today she's happy. So thanks

Back
Top Bottom