Nonamebrand's Aerogarden - Auto Fem Dwarf Lowflyer - 2016

nonamebrand

This will be my first attempt at growing here are the details:

Room: 5X4X3.5ft
Lights: 5 X 26W CFLs from Aerogarden
Air pump with 2 air stones
Fox Farm Nutrients (Big Bloom, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom)
PH up and PH Down
General Hydroponics PH test kit
Oscillating Fan + Heater
Reflective foil
Temp/Humidity monitor
Aerogarden grow sponges

I have all the materials ready to go seeds arriving Tuesday; I'll use the cup of water/paper towel method in an attempt to germinate 3 seeds. All germinated seeds will then be transferred to the Aerogarden with PH balanced water. I will be running a light cycle of 18/6 for the entire grow. I will also be adding a DIY C02 machine; I may run the C02 in front of the fan or try and run a loop around the Aerogarden light hood.

I will be following the foxfarm nutrients guide changing the water every week. I am prepared to do a half dose of the Big Bloom after week one and move to a three quarter dose (as per foxfarm) for week two and beyond. I will make a batch of water with the nutrients added to it and ph balanced which I will use to top up the Aerogarden as needed.

I have tested the area and with the lights on and the fan going the temperature is maintained around 75 degrees. As the temperature monitor tells me the max and min temperatures within the room I will soon learn if added fans to cool or the use of the heater will be necessary.

I'll do my best to give updates at least once a week or more.

image_5_32.jpeg

Wish me luck and feel free to give any advice you may have :thumb:

Thanks for the link, I've read CMJJMC2000's journal about 3 times now and I'm sure ill read it a few more times through this process! I can only hope I do as well as he has :cheesygrinsmiley:

Wow, what a compliment! I'm glad the journal has been of assistance to you. When I started this about 4 months back I used Renegade's Aerogarden journal to get me pointed in the right direction. Starting with zero cannabis growing experience is daunting, but there are so many helpful folks here - and also a huge database of knowledge in the grow room forum area. If you have any questions, just let me know and I'm happy to help. Dwarf's seem to be so well suited for the Aerogarden, I'm sure you'll be quite successful. Welcome to the Aerogarden club! :thumb:

Here's a link to Renegade's Aerogarden Grow - AeroGarden Part Two - Featuring TopLED Reflector Series 96x3w

Here's another link for a member, Ferboldt, that's currently in process with their grow in an Aerogarden AK48 Feminized From Nirvana - Hydroponics Under LED & CFL

The seeds are here a day early! I have decided to try (and hopefully succeed at) germinating just two out of the five of these. Since this is my first grow I think my chances are higher of making mistakes and would rather only sacrifice 2 seeds and be left with 3 for round 2. I will be putting these in a glass of water around 4:20 today so they will be ready to come out and into paper towel come morning.
image_7_28.jpeg

I have also constructed my C02 "machine". I routed the tubing around my light hood and drilled small holes around the tube to (hopefully) disperse C02 evenly over the plants. I also picked up a tube and hand pump which I will use to empty out the reservoir when it comes time to refill it.

image_5_33.jpeg

image_6_27.jpeg

I have been playing with the room temperature and should be able to maintain it between 75-80 degrees at all times. The humidity has been steady around 40%; I may use a spray bottle to try and make the room more humid for the earlier growth stages; unless I find or someone makes a better suggestion.

Hoping to post pics of some germinated seeds or little sprouts soon!

Right on! I'm interested to see how the homemade CO2 diffuser works for you. I've read up on the fermented yeast machines, may do the trick for a micro grow like this and bring some decent results. One quick question about your strain, is is the Red Dwarf from Buddha or Dwarf Low Flyer from Crop King - or is it a mix of the two? Either way, solid progress and I can't wait to see these seeds pop!

Ha my first mistake already! They are the Dwarf Low Flyer from Crop King; arrived along with a free grinder. Reported the title so it should be changed. Thanks, you are proving very helpful so far lol

Oh boy, you're in for a treat! This strain seems to have been made just for the Aerogarden - or vice versa. Keep your parameters in check and you will be rewarded with sticky, sweet smelling buds. PH swings happen quickly in this tiny reservoir. The Aerovoir is a worthwhile purchase if you've got $40 to burn. When they start pulling in more than a half gallon of water per day, you could empty your main reservoir in less than 24 hours and destroy the roots. With my 2 plants, I've had days where they blow through more than 3/4 of a gallon in a 24 hour period. If I didn't have that Aerovoir topping off the main reservoir while I'm at work, my roots would have been toast by the time I got home! Just some food for though. :thumb:

Patience.... transferred the seeds from the cup of water to paper towel after soaking for 17hrs; room temp was between 73-78. No signs of crackin yet! I'll check on the paper towel to be sure that it's nice and moist every 5 hours (if I could I'd probably be checking every 5 seconds ha).

Oh boy, you're in for a treat! This strain seems to have been made just for the Aerogarden - or vice versa. Keep your parameters in check and you will be rewarded with sticky, sweet smelling buds. PH swings happen quickly in this tiny reservoir. The Aerovoir is a worthwhile purchase if you've got $40 to burn. When they start pulling in more than a half gallon of water per day, you could empty your main reservoir in less than 24 hours and destroy the roots. With my 2 plants, I've had days where they blow through more than 3/4 of a gallon in a 24 hour period. If I didn't have that Aerovoir topping off the main reservoir while I'm at work, my roots would have been toast by the time I got home! Just some food for though. :thumb:

I started this grow after stumbling on a couple of used aerogardens for cheap and decided what the heck lets give this a go. Trying to grow on a budget and all in I am closing in on $300. I could easily drop another 1k on all the toys out there but I'm going to try to keep costs low; if I need to spend more coin to keep things in check as I go I will.

I've looked at and read about (in your journal) the Aerovoir and it seems like a great add on. Luckily for me I am able to come home from work at lunch and should be able to keep the water levels up. As for the PH I'll be using General Hydroponics Test Kit (liquid test) but have been very tempted to pick up a digital meter for more fine tuned measurements but then I'd want another light, more fans, a scrubber, a tent, more nutes, more more more..... so I'll hold off on the digital meter for now :;):

Pop pop! Both seeds broke open with a small tap root starting to appear within 42 hours of germination.
image_6_28.jpeg

Both seeds have now been transferred into the aerogarden tap root down 1/4-1/2 inch deep. I put a little piece of grow sponge over the hole and have turned the lights and pump on 24hrs. Both plants have domes on them as the room humidity is fairly low but will remove them at first signs of a sprout.
image_5_34.jpeg

I'm hoping these girls make it; much like a parent I'm worrying too much and doing what I think is right but ya just never know how the kids are going to turn out!

I ordered a digital PH meter, TDS meter and a water thermometer (came in a package). I have been and will continue to use bottled water as I feel that there are a lot of minerals in the local tap water; I will be able to test this once the meters arrive.

Ladies and Gentlemen I am proud to introduce to you Rubin! I figured I'd roll with the name tag she's growing up with and she's on the right side so the "R" works.
image_5_35.jpeg

She greeted me this morning:
88 hours after her seed was placed in a cup of water
46 hours after the tap root appeared/being transferred to the growing medium (Aerogarden)

Her sister has sprouted a few small roots and is expected to break ground later today (fingers crossed).

The room humidity has floated between 35-38%; I have added a bowl of water in front of the heater/fan and it has made a minimal difference. For these reasons I will be leaving the grow domes on until tomorrow morning.

I have added a second fan to the room to help control the day time temperature which is stable at 77-81 degrees. I was a little concerned when I saw that the night time temperature fell as low as 72 degrees. I adjusted the light cycle to 18on 6 off; going off at night which caused the temp to drop; I was hoping the heater would maintain the temp but with the second fan it fell behind. Tonight I will adjust the second fan to the low setting before I go to bed; hopefully the temperature doesn't get too high while the lights are still on/hopefully the temperature stays a bit higher over night.

It's a little bit like Christmas everyday waking up and seeing the plants progress. I just hope these two turn out to be mini Christmas trees! :yummy:

Day 2 above ground and the domes are off.

Overnight temps dropped to 73 day time are holding at 81. The rooms humidity is staying between 35-38%. I put some wet paper towel folded up beside each plant to aid in humidity.

Ruby (my wife gave her the nickname) is looking good and her second set of leaves are coming along. She's leaning a little to the left and was close to touching the dome yesterday. I don't see any roots stretching out towards the water; I'm hoping they are on the back. It's a bit of a tight space so no root pics.
image_6_29.jpeg

A a welcome to Lulu (on the left). I took a look into her burrow yesterday and she looked a little tangled up. I made the decision (maybe right probably wrong) to help her out a bit. I took a pair of tweezers and GENTLY guided her towards the surface. It seems to have worked and not effected her negatively. Her roots are already at the bottom of the grow sponge and may hit the water by tomorrow if the growth rate continues.
image_5_36.jpeg

The FoxFarm nute schedule calls for a dose of nutes for seedlings. I may add a tiny dose of Big Bloom tomorrow and will begin the schedule with my first reservoir change after week 1.

Day 3 above ground

Ruby- she's leaning in towards the center of the Aerogarden which I'm guessing is to get more light; also looks a little skinny as she's reaching up. The lights are set as low as the Aerogarden will allow. I have 2 fans running over the plants 24/7 one oscillating and one constant; I can see the plants moving in the wind; I hope this encourages a thicker stem. Her roots are touching the water today.
image_5_37.jpeg

Lulu is looking good and seems to be learning from her bigger sister as she is also beginning to grow towards the middle of the Aerogarden. I think I will just let them be and see how they grow as trying to turn them may disturb their roots and cause them to grow longer. Roots are in the water too.
image_6_30.jpeg

I added 1/8 of a dose of Foxfarms Bigbloom (1/4 tsp) and 1/8 of a dose of Growbig (1/8 tsp) according to foxfarms feeding schedule. Figure this should do no harm and hopefully a little good!

Back
Top Bottom