Northern Lights Auto - Budget T5 & T8 Grow Box

EndItAll

Hi all, first time grower, at least with this crop, experienced organic high-yield square-foot-gardener.

This is a hobby project I've decided to undertake as a proof of concept and to fill my days during the winter.

Some rules I've set for myself in this project :

-as organic as physically possible
-keep total startup cost under $300
-free-cycle as much material as possible
-total stealth from neighbors etc (focusing on general odor and specifically exhaust control)

Total out of pocket cost so far on this project :

$65 5-pack of seeds
$117 various Home Depot purchases (lumber, blower fan, activated carbon filter materials, some lights)
(does not include materials I already had such as growth medium, containers, some lights, some build materials. Alot of these were originally donated from construction site waste, some were otherwise scavenged or free-cycled)

So, let's start with my growth medium :

I am using a customized variation of Mel's Mix, (%33 peat moss, %33 vermiculite, %33 organic compost blend composed of 8 different composts incl chicken, sheep, cow and deer manure, mushroom compost, worm castings, shrimp fish and seaweed compost and a homemade general veg matter compost) so nutrient wise I'm set from seedling to at least 2-3 weeks in, probably longer but will be reading the plants. My starting nutrient levels are nitrogen heavy but not unreasonable. I have had alot of ridiculous tomato yields with this blend and look forward to seeing what it can do with this crop.

My box is 4ft wide, 3ft deep, and 5ft high total, with about 4.25 total usable vertical feet allowing space for containers, some gear, and lights. I intend to use this space for no more than 2 LST and scrog'ed plants, but i did make it a bit bigger than needed in case that changes in future, i suspect with strict training and clever use of space i could support 4-5. The box is currently a work in progress to be completed over next couple weeks as time, and materials allow. Will eventually be painted flat white on all interior surfaces for reflection purposes, currently unpainted wood interior.

Currently using 1 x 4ft 2tube T8 fitted with 2 x 32w 6500k tube (I plan to add 2 more of these fixtures with 4 more tubes totaling 6 x t8 tubes, just out of stock for a week) as well as 1 x t5 2ft single-tube fitted with 1 x 24w 6400k mounted vertically between the 2 grow spaces. To bridge the light deficit until i get more units I've added a few 7w 2700k CFL's I have kicking around. All lights save the vertical t5 are fully height adjustable in a 4.5 foot range in order to keep the T8's within 1-2 inches of canopy (this has worked well for me with my indoor vegetable crops, the heat these things put out is negligible and as my ambient temperature is 22-23C any extra heat they give will be welcome I think.

Box will be exhausted via dual DIY activated carbon filter powered by 4inch 700+ CFM blower, and will double as drying and curing area between crops after initial startup and supply building, I don't plan on continuous grows, just as needed based on supply and yields. Have fresh air inlet to room via Hvac Combustion Air supply, so at least on paper entire box air volume will be exhausted and replaced 10x /minute, which may be a little much but i don't believe in half-measures when it comes to stealth. I'm debating whether or not I want to go with powered intake or stick with passive, if I go powered it will be with max 2 x 2inch PC fans to maintain negative box pressure and filter system integrity.

Currently have 2 NL fem auto seeds germinating, started them about 30 hours ago, took a bit longer than I expected to sink but they eventually both did. I'm guessing the lower than ideal temperature in the house contributed while they were soaking. Transferred to plate and paper towel after 14 hrs, had to leave and wasn't going to be back before 18 hour CKS recommended limit.

Checked them a few minutes before starting to type out this wall of text, 1 is visibly popped with tap root out, root <1mm atm so letting it go a bit more, other looks like it's about to pop but it seems to be fighting the wakeup call, will give it a few more days before i start worrying.

Will add pics of my work in progress box shortly.

Any and all comments, advice, etc welcome of course, but I pretty much intend to stick to my current grow-plan and box design with little to no modification until these plants die or are harvested, I know there are likely to be a good many methods/techniques/designs that would be more ideal or "better", and if this fails I will be trying again with whatever changes seem appropriate, but my primary goal is to see if THIS methodology and THESE materials will work, and if so how well.

Wish me luck!

Regards,
EndItAll

re: Northern Lights Auto - Budget T5 & T8 Grow Box

On further consideration, I'm not sure "box" is the appropriate term for this beast I've realized I'm building. This thing is large enough for 3 very short people to fit into at the same time, comfortably, or 2 of me with only a bit of hunching over and room left to swing our arms. Not quite a full closet, larger than anything that should be called a box. Is cabinet the word I'm looking for?

Just put in the final screw for the night, structure, bottom, and back wall are done, temporary light setup is complete. Looking at the spacing, I'm thinking I can possibly squeeze in a 4th T8 fixture if I stagger them a bit and budget allows, but 3 for sure, with room to spare.

Figured out a way to give the vertical T5 some adjustability too, can now move up and down a bit under 2 feet so will be able to follow the plants.

Again, for future upgrades or left over budget space, I should examine options for vertical mounting T8's in my corners, think if i stick to 3 above I can fit in 1 in each corner, by my estimate, at least with the current bulbs, that would put me around 45000-50000 lux not factoring reflected light, assuming my single unit guesstimate of +/- 5000 lux on a single unit is close to correct and scales 1:1 ish.

IMAG069014.jpg
Hi there little roots.
IMAG068815.jpg
Come on out and do your thing.
IMAG068320.jpg
Bucket standing in for demo purposes.
IMAG068417.jpg
IMAG068716.jpg
IMAG068514.jpg
Closer look at height adjustment for light unit.
IMAG068614.jpg
Conveniently hidden window, under my deck, will be a great stealth exhaust outlet.

Hi
Love DIY grows :) You might want to cover walls with either white mat paint/ car window shields or any other silvery material (dull not shiny)

Ty for the love, and yeah, somewhere up in that rambling wall of text i did mention the finished unit will be fungicide treated white, using flat because it's what I have on hand, left overs from a recent bathroom reno. I'm quite happy with these T8's for what they are, they've done great with my indoor winter spice and veggie project, the basil, lettuce and hot peppers are thriving in a similar open framework with really great real daylight exposure. With 1 2-tube T8 of exactly same type and bulbs they are vegging quite nicely. But with a practical test of this cab I can already tell I'm going to need at LEAST 2 more units for any decent results, it will do quite fine for initial seedling phase while i complete the build and my back-ordered lights get in, but as is it would be a waste of good seeds to try and call it done.

My mistake :) I got lost in thoughts when reading, trying to remember if T5 is florescent and T8 are LED....brain can't handle a lot together :rofl: need a canna cookie :)
I have the florescent ones anyway and love them

Both are fluoros, main difference is size and power consumption/heat output, bulbs available in right spectrums for both.

Seeds are in, both had nice healthy looking taproots, just a bit under 1cm each, tho 1 still looks like it's struggling a bit compared to the other. Cabinet interior is painted and drying, have the pots and seeds under light with humidity domes and a warming mat in a temporary spot while last coat dries and i re-hang my main lights.

well, looks like #2 damaged itself shedding the shell, one of the cotyledons looks torn mostly right thru, still hanging on by a thread with the shell and membrane stuck to it, gonna leave it as is and let it do its thing, don't want to risk trying to pluck the shell off that mess, i figure with the way it's looking the leaf is a write-off anyhow but the growth tip looks intact, better 1.25 cote's than 1.

really not looking good for #2. seed shell finally dropped off but took most of the already torn coty with it. it isn't actually dead, there's still green and it's still upright and at attention, but it looks terrible,sickly even, still no new leaves. think I may have my first dead girl on my hands but not quite ready to give up all hope, will let it keep going and hope for a surprise in a week or 2 once it's recovered.

meanwhile #1 is looking fantastic, doesn't look stretchy at all to my inexperienced eye, think i dialed in the light height just right.

getting close to actually completing the box, got the rest of my lumber and lights. only things left to get now is the ventilation/exhaust/filter parts but won't be working on those for at least 3-4 weeks unless odor becomes an issue, burned all my budget for this pay.

IMAG069816.jpg

IMAG070314.jpg

this is #1, all seems well, appears to be doing what nature intended

IMAG070211.jpg

IMAG070111.jpg

IMAG07008.jpg

IMAG069911.jpg

this is #2, which suffered alot of early stress due to stuck shell and torn cotyledon, appears to still be trying, but i'm not hopeful. time will tell, any advice welcome.

IMAG069313.jpg
IMAG069411.jpg
cabinet update : nearly done, got pretty much everything painted, 2nd set of lights installed, doors mounted, everything wired nice and neat. other than details thats it on the box for a while unless smell becomes an issue earlier than expected and i have to accelerate filter plans the darker patches near the top will be filled in with more white panelling, it's drying now. made in 2 sections due to limits of free materials, and the upper section is made of much better quality lumber than lower since it will eventually be supporting the weight of the filtration and ventilation assemblies.

edit : just wanted to add all the above pics were taken with no flash and room in total blackout except whats in the box.

edit 2 : also wanted to mention that while at present I only have the 2 x 2 overheads and 1x vertical, I left plenty of space to add up to 2 more overheads and 4, maybe 6 but it'll be way tight, verticals, for a total potential of 16 48'' tubes + 1 24'' tube, in a space with a 3' x 4' footprint and 5 feet of total vertical space.
Is that a bit much for 2 plants?:morenutes:

welcome to my shit-show skunkgreen, enjoy as I bungle my way through this little project. so far, some successes, some lessons learned, but no confirmed failures (yet, fingers crossed)

well, #1 is still looking fantastic, #2 looks even worse than before but there's still a bit of green so still a bit of hope. I added a few more lights, figure i'm up to about 17000-18000 lumens in there, about 70% of it is 6500k + rest is 3000k, got a line on a bunch of discarded fixtures from an electrician friend i know, gonna work on stripping the fixtures from the sockets and build myself some cfl arrays to bring it up to about 30000-40000 lumens in next couple weeks.

HI sweetie :hug:

I was down with the flu and missed everything, sorry :hug:

If #2 still have green, just let her perk up. It can take time, but she might be worth it .

Back
Top Bottom