Bag Seed - Scrog or Super Crop Grow Box Journal 2013

I'll get some ph down tomorrow. the source of the water is my kitchen sink, but next time i change out the solution ill get some distilled or RO, and see if that helps. Thank you for the advice, I had no idea this plant might be having trouble. I threw up a post on the problems section to see if any one else has an idea on it. Right now I'm still planning on taking this to the hight that I was planning originally, but I'll review that decision after another two weeks, and see how it's health and size is by then.

1) deep water culture is fine, you just need to monitor your pH and ppm. pH your water to 5.8 and avoid nutrient lockout and deficiency. change your nutrients in you reservoir every 7 days.
2) your plant is small because you have been using compact florescent light. this is why your node spacing is so tight.
3) lumens do not add like you think they do. how far is your LED light from your plant? your LED light may be mounted too high.
4) your plant colour and roots look healthy, just small.
5) if you go with distilled or reverse osmosis water you will need to supplement calcium and magnesium for hydroponics.

I still think it's stunted, it's over a month old and that small, but perhaps, like you're saying, there's just not enough power coming from the lights. Maybe add more 6500k CFLs

The light is about 8 inches, and it's a flowering light, so that may be part of the issue. I thought that too little light would make the nodes streach out though?

I was thinking I might have slowed it down by adding nutes to soon and burning it, then waiting too long before adding again being nervous of a repeat. Sense I restarted the nutes, I've been changing it all out every week.

I lowered the light to 4-5 inches, I'll check tomorrow to see if anny issues arise from that. I've also trimed a few of the fan leaves, as suggested, mainly ones that were either under the plant due to LST or shading a large area on the plant itself.

Haven gotten the measuring tape out anyway, I checked the total length of the main stem, and it's about 6-7 inches long, which I assume would translate to 6-7 inches tall, or perhaps a little bit taller considering more energy would have gone into growing upwards as aposed to out wards.

Remember, less is better when you're not sure on the nutes.

You can stunt your plant by giving it strong nutes when it's not ready as well, but I'm sure you know that.

Give it a week and hope for new and faster and better growth

well, I'm thinking this might just be some crazy genetics going on here, its growing pretty much exactly the same all over, every branch has nodes as close together as the main stem does, and they are all very thick.

the whole plant feels very sturdy, and brushing the foilage with my hand feels like touching a shrub of some kind. The leaves have the one directional hairs, like grass, so that you can only "pet" them one way.

here is a picture as of yesterday, a few days after I trimmed some of the fan leaves down.

I'll get a better picture up tomorrow

its crazy to think that just two weeks ago it was this:

well, I kinda got side tracked on getting some PH down, so I didn't switch out my nute solution until tonight. Boy, these guys sure develop issues QUICK!

a few yellow and light brown dots/small spots have appeared on several leaves, several fan leaves have started curling down a little bit, the plant looks a light green, and one leaf was showing a large purplish grey blotch on the underside, which I believe is Phosphorus deficiency. Phosphorus deficiency is aggravated by a PH above 7, which the nute solution could have been at by the time I changed it out (didn't check before switching it out unfortunately)

I'm almost certain the plant had used up all of the available nutes and was starving for just about all of them. I upped the dose this week because I believe that the plant stopped growing as vigorously part way through the week last time. The PH was at 5.4 after nutes and PH down adjustments, and I will check again in the morning.

here we are at week 7 of veg. The plant is only about 11 inches tall, due to various issues, nute burn in the second week, very tight node spacing, and LST. at 14 inches I will be putting it into Flowering mode.

this week I ran into some trouble with darkening roots. for some reason my nute solution was running very warm, around 85 degrees, for a couple of days. I hadn't realized this was an issue until I looked it up. I cooled it down with ice, and have a bottle of frozen water in the freezer now in case of issue. I don't have an accurate thermometer at the moment, just a mercury one that's hard to read, so every day I simply reach in and feel the water. If it feels fairly cool I know its below 80, if its warm I put the bottle in until it melts. So far I have only had to put the frozen bottle in one time. the water was only about 80 (i checked after feeling it was warm), and so far I haven't had a repeat of the last time.

last week, I decided to get rid of the inside bucket holding the roots up, and stop using only 2 gallons of solution. it just wasn't working the way I wanted, the roots were bunching up to much in the inside bucket, and that was the area of the highest root dieing issues. This week I have filled it to 3.5 gallons, and added a second air stone to my bucket, connected to the same air pump. I have the water pumping up to the base of the plant now, filtering down through the Expanded Clay, and back into the reservoir. I also added some beneficial organisms, along with compost tea.

here is a picture from the 2nd:

and a couple from today:

the plant has grown upward about 2 inches in the last 3 days, so I will soon be switching the light schedule from 20/4 to 12/12.

Roots Organics Oregonism XL

Amazon: Roots Organics Oregonism XL 1lb

1667107031089.png

OK, so now we are about a week into the 12/12 cycle, had to prune the canopy again as suspected, this thing's fan leaves grow so quickly and make a complete canopy so fast.

the first two are before, and the last two are afters, but not very good ones, I forgot to take a couple of the canopy afterwards, and now my ladyfriend is asleep in da room. ill try and remember to take one today.

as you can see in the third picture, the plant is coming back pretty well from the root rot that had started. I should probably use some hygrozyme, but i haven't ordered any. I think i will and see if it makes any difference.

another issue is that the plant is going through a lot of water, and I cant check it every day due to sleep schedules and work schedules and it being in my bedroom. next grow i want to implement a simple reservoir that will top off the plants, and utilize the entire bucket for roots. not starting with the mini bucket will help as well I'm sure.

also, some of the leaves look yellow in the pictures, which is strange because they don't look that way in person.

with this nute change I used two parts full strength flowering, and one part grow. for the last one i used 2 parts grow and one part flower.

quick update, just ordered Hygrozyme, be here in a week or so. all the previously bright white roots are looking a bit tan and lack luster, water temps are fine, no bad smell, not sure if its just staining but we will see. switched out the nute solution, 2-1 ratio of bloom and grow, still no sign of flowers, growth looks good, pictures to come.

its starting to strech a little bit which is great because its opening the canopy and giving it some air, no more weekly fan leaf pruning!

Back
Top Bottom