OldManJJ's Auto Flower Experiment

Well, still no flower. 70 days above ground. If the big one stretches a lot, I'm in real trouble. She's going to be freaking HUGE!
If you're 78 days in veg it's a photo, man. It won't flower til you switch it to 12/12.

@Jon a few more questions then. Is it ok to start topping it then? Clones? Based on the size, I'm thinking of transplanting it to a bigger pot too. Thoughts?
Show a picture of the plant and I can try to help. Don't take my word as gospel though.

@Jon Here she is:

My GOD man, that plant is absolutely stunning!! WOW. I did not expect that. Damn, nice job.

Ok, so...
Is it ok to start topping it then? Clones? Based on the size, I'm thinking of transplanting it to a bigger pot too. Thoughts?

If you ask me, that's a fully mature, badass photo plant who's begging to go into flower. 78 days in veg is plenty. If it were me that's what I'd be thinking. I would not top this plant on day 78, and I can't imagine a circumstance where I would ever top a plant that late. My understanding is that topping is much better and more effective when done early, not late. @Emilya explained the science of this to me one time but I didn't commit it to memory. You might do well to reach out to her and see if she has a better answer on any of this, but specifically the topping thing.

Clones. I don't know from clones. My gut says yes, take some cuttings now while she's in veg and put the in the root cubes or whatever you do. Just based on the picture, I draw a few conclusions about your plant. One, if she's 78 days in veg and she's that size and shape, I would suggest you have an indica-like pheno of the plant, and a beautiful one at that. You have that classic Christmas tree thing going on with her. I would take cuttings and attempt to clone it, what's the harm? If it doesn't work, you learned something, right? If it does you will have this exact plant and know exactly how she grows before you plant the clone. BIG advantage for growing it in the future.

Transplanting. It appears she's in a five, yes? That size pot is and can definitely support the plant. Is your drainage really quick? That might indicate that the roots are close to maxed in the pot and so the water pretty much just flows right through her. In that event, up pot if you wish. But to what, a 7 or 10? That's all well and good, but then to have that be worth the effort you then have to veg her for that much longer. You gotta figure out the effort/return on effort equation on that one, but I would leave her like I said.

Thoughts. This is what I would do.
1. Take long bamboo rods, you can get packs of them at a Home Depot garden center or anywhere. Use them to spread the branches you have out wider so you get as much light as possible to the inside of the plant. I would do this all around the plant and just spread all the bud sites out a little bit. Not like what I did in the Journal, just spreading them out and leaving the plant as is.
2. When that was done I would defoliate a little bit, so that each and every bud site is getting direct light.
3. Then I'd clean out the bullcrap under the plant at the bottom a bit, to increase air flow and get rid of power robbers.
4. Then I'd FLIP THAT BIT--!!!!
5. Then, if you wanted, you could supercrop the main cola and tie the upper branches in place to let the lower ones catch up and try to even out the canopy of the plant. However, with this girl I would not do that. She's so perfect as she is. You'll still get a sweet yield. You won't have divided the available energy the plant has to offer too far with the common mistake (in my opinion) of overtopping the plant. I didn't top the plants I have after the first one way back on day 20 something. Every bud site I created was done simply with letting light hit the emerging growth and keeping things flat. Versus doing the same thing via a trillion toppings. I personally don't like to do that, but many do. Looking at your girl, I would postulate that each of those main bud sites should produce a large, sweet cola.

So hopefully some of that is helpful. You know who to go to for alternate viewpoints, and if it were me, I would do that. Good luck. You got this.

My GOD man, that plant is absolutely stunning!! WOW. I did not expect that. Damn, nice job.

Ok, so...
Is it ok to start topping it then? Clones? Based on the size, I'm thinking of transplanting it to a bigger pot too. Thoughts?

If you ask me, that's a fully mature, badass photo plant who's begging to go into flower. 78 days in veg is plenty. If it were me that's what I'd be thinking. I would not top this plant on day 78, and I can't imagine a circumstance where I would ever top a plant that late. My understanding is that topping is much better and more effective when done early, not late. @Emilya explained the science of this to me one time but I didn't commit it to memory. You might do well to reach out to her and see if she has a better answer on any of this, but specifically the topping thing.

Clones. I don't know from clones. My gut says yes, take some cuttings now while she's in veg and put the in the root cubes or whatever you do. Just based on the picture, I draw a few conclusions about your plant. One, if she's 78 days in veg and she's that size and shape, I would suggest you have an indica-like pheno of the plant, and a beautiful one at that. You have that classic Christmas tree thing going on with her. I would take cuttings and attempt to clone it, what's the harm? If it doesn't work, you learned something, right? If it does you will have this exact plant and know exactly how she grows before you plant the clone. BIG advantage for growing it in the future.

Transplanting. It appears she's in a five, yes? That size pot is and can definitely support the plant. Is your drainage really quick? That might indicate that the roots are close to maxed in the pot and so the water pretty much just flows right through her. In that event, up pot if you wish. But to what, a 7 or 10? That's all well and good, but then to have that be worth the effort you then have to veg her for that much longer. You gotta figure out the effort/return on effort equation on that one, but I would leave her like I said.

Thoughts. This is what I would do.
1. Take long bamboo rods, you can get packs of them at a Home Depot garden center or anywhere. Use them to spread the branches you have out wider so you get as much light as possible to the inside of the plant. I would do this all around the plant and just spread all the bud sites out a little bit. Not like what I did in the Journal, just spreading them out and leaving the plant as is.
2. When that was done I would defoliate a little bit, so that each and every bud site is getting direct light.
3. Then I'd clean out the bullcrap under the plant at the bottom a bit, to increase air flow and get rid of power robbers.
4. Then I'd FLIP THAT BIT--!!!!
5. Then, if you wanted, you could supercrop the main cola and tie the upper branches in place to let the lower ones catch up and try to even out the canopy of the plant. However, with this girl I would not do that. She's so perfect as she is. You'll still get a sweet yield. You won't have divided the available energy the plant has to offer too far with the common mistake (in my opinion) of overtopping the plant. I didn't top the plants I have after the first one way back on day 20 something. Every bud site I created was done simply with letting light hit the emerging growth and keeping things flat. Versus doing the same thing via a trillion toppings. I personally don't like to do that, but many do. Looking at your girl, I would postulate that each of those main bud sites should produce a large, sweet cola.

So hopefully some of that is helpful. You know who to go to for alternate viewpoints, and if it were me, I would do that. Good luck. You got this.
I kept saying 78 days. I guess you're on 71. Whatever, same thing.

Ok, time for an update. The autoflower is NOT an auto! It's a photo.

In this tent on the left we have OG Kush (supposed to be autoflower) and on the right we have Blueberry and White cookies. They were transplanted on 10/4 and flipped to flower on 10/6.

They all got their start in Michigan mediums soil. They were transplanted into Roots Organic 707. OG Kush is in 10 gal and the other 2 are in 7 Gal. Yes, I was too lazy to go get more 10 gallon pots and since my big tent isn't finished, I went with what I had.

These girls will finish using GeoFlora bloom nutrients and Sweet Stash (from All Day Organics). Since the 707 is hot already, they won't get the GeoFlora for at least 2 weeks.

I really hope the girls in the big tent finish up soon as I need the extra headroom. These girls are quite tall and are already quite close to the light. I don't have any room to move it up in the 5x5 tent.

Before transplant, we took 6 clones from each plant!

Here they are:

In this tent on the left we have OG Kush (supposed to be autoflower) and on the right we have Blueberry and White cookies. They were transplanted on 10/4 and flipped to flower on 10/6.

They all got their start in Michigan mediums soil. They were transplanted into Roots Organic 707. OG Kush is in 10 gal and the other 2 are in 7 Gal. Yes, I was too lazy to go get more 10 gallon pots and since my big tent isn't finished, I went with what I had.

These girls will finish using GeoFlora bloom nutrients and Sweet Stash (from All Day Organics). Since the 707 is hot already, they won't get the GeoFlora for at least 2 weeks.

I really hope the girls in the big tent finish up soon as I need the extra headroom. These girls are quite tall and are already quite close to the light. I don't have any room to move it up in the 5x5 tent.

Here they are:

They look great! Awesome work!!!

I do hope, however, that you're up for some supercropping. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

A 10 and 2 7s? And no more vertical space already? Hmm....good luck! You got this!

@Jon once they move to the 5x9 tent I will have more vertical space. Might be a week or 2 before they get moved though. It just depends how fast the 5x9 girls finish up, they are close.

@Jon once they move to the 5x9 tent I will have more vertical space. Might be a week or 2 before they get moved though. It just depends how fast the 5x9 girls finish up, they are close.
See? Like I said, you got this! Must be nice to have a 5x9. I want one.

Update:

The girls in the 5x5 are begging for more space. Pre-flowers are showing and they got their first dose of @GeoFlora Nutrients bloom last night.

Can't wait for the final 3 girls in the big tent to finish so these can get moved!

Before transplant, we took 6 clones from each plant!

Here they are:

Your auto trees!!! Hahahahaha yep welcome to the photo world. They will be beautiful in the end! Nice work so far, I'm still catching up!

Update:

The girls in the 5x5 are begging for more space. Pre-flowers are showing and they got their first dose of @GeoFlora Nutrients bloom last night.

Can't wait for the final 3 girls in the big tent to finish so these can get moved!

Vegged for 70 something days...oh yes u gonna have some big ladies taking care of them the way you are. Plans on getting more room solidified?

Update:

DAMN these look good man. Super impressive. You're gonna be jungle-y in there!

Update:

If the plants get TOO close, you can either tie branches back or supercrop, right? But if neither of those is palatable, maybe you could raise the one side of the light, long side, so it's on an angle shining down on the room and gives you more space despite not being able to "raise" the light per se?

Ok, I finally have enough room in the big tent for these girls. They were defoliated and moved last night. They have plenty of vertical space now!!

Now the 5x5 tent is filled with clones for the next run. We have Blueberry, White Cookies and OG Kush (clones from the autoflower that was a photo).

We will let them grow a bit more before transplanting them. At transplant, we will cull the herd and keep only the best plants.

Ok, I finally have enough room in the big tent for these girls. They were defoliated and moved last night. They have plenty of vertical space now!!

Now the 5x5 tent is filled with clones for the next run. We have Blueberry, White Cookies and OG Kush (clones from the autoflower that was a photo).

We will let them grow a bit more before transplanting them. At transplant, we will cull the herd and keep only the best plants.

WOW. NOW we're talking!!!!! Awesome job man! Those tents look great. CLEAN. NEAT. ORGANIZED. All essentials. Excellent work. They also look way lit up, nice! So what light is in each tent again?

Beautiful.
Nice work.
Stay safe.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom