OldManJJ's Auto Flower Experiment

Just sharing my experience cuz I thought you said you started right in the 7. I must have missed the uppotting part, sorry...

The suggesting it's a lie was a colloquialism just to say that to say "you shouldn't uppot an auto" or "never transplant an auto," as many many online sources would have you believe, is simply not true. Anyone can transplant an auto any way they want with zero repercussion and zero slowing down of the plant. So like I said, I wasn't trying to affect what you do, and if I hadn't missed the uppotting part I wouldn't have made the suggestion. But strong or not, those statements are simply not true, ie, lies. I'll keep my two cents to myself.
At 21 days old an Auto starts to flower. Not wise to up-pot after that. How big will your plant be in just 21 days ? That's why they say not to up-pot. It's more of a waste of time then harmful.

@skunksa Unfortunately, she looks like she will kill herself before I do. I can also use the space for my clones.
I know one doesn't "clone" or take cuttings from anything as young as your healthy plant. But soon you would be able to, in theory, take one small cutting from that healthy BB auto. The plant would only be a few weeks old. What do you think would happen if you rooted that cutting and immediately planted it asap? Think it would bud and finish at the same time as the healthy plant and just be smaller? Would that work at all? Just curious and tossing out scenarios since you seem to be a highly experimental dude, which is greatly appreciated. Experimenting is fun as hell, yes?

@Jon no, I won't try and take clones from the auto, it most likely won't work.
@Buds Buddy 21 days for an auto to flower? The healthy auto was above ground on July 15th, no signs of flower?

At 21 days old an Auto starts to flower. Not wise to up-pot after that. How big will your plant be in just 21 days ? That's why they say not to up-pot. It's more of a waste of time then harmful.
Hey @Buds Buddy - nice to "meet" you, lol. I understand what you're saying, and honestly before this current Chunkadelic I have going I would have agreed with you 100% But this plant has changed my mind on that. I started her in a one gallon and up-potted her to the five on day 25. She's amazing and there was a very strong point/reason to do this. At Day 25 she looked as she is in the attached photo. You can see her today in my journal if you like. Today is day 32, just a week after transplant, and this plant still has two full months basically to grow/bud. She's amazing and is going to be quite productive. The stretch just started today. She is not actually budding yet and just started showing preflowers on Day 30. I have not once had an auto begin to bud on Day 21. Earliest for me has been day 24, mostly after that. Guess maybe it is a strain specific thing? In two months this five gallon pot will be an absolutely solid root ball top to bottom. I know this because I did the same thing with the Sour Apple and her roots also filled the five gallon pot top to bottom all the way to the edge of the pot. So, in my humble opinion, it is definitely NOT a waste of time. It's the difference between a smaller and way larger rootball. That's a HUGE difference. My guess is that if I found the right strain I could fill a seven gallon pot top to bottom with a root ball from an auto. 60 days is a long time for roots to expand. Just my counter point to your assertion. Peace!

Chunkadelic Auto August 9.jpg

@Jon no, I won't try and take clones from the auto, it most likely won't work.
@Buds Buddy 21 days for an auto to flower? The healthy auto was above ground on July 15th, no signs of flower?
That's what I figured, just thought you'd know. And you did. Lol. Thanks.

Hey @Buds Buddy - nice to "meet" you, lol. I understand what you're saying, and honestly before this current Chunkadelic I have going I would have agreed with you 100% But this plant has changed my mind on that. I started her in a one gallon and up-potted her to the five on day 25. She's amazing and there was a very strong point/reason to do this. At Day 25 she looked as she is in the attached photo. You can see her today in my journal if you like. Today is day 32, just a week after transplant, and this plant still has two full months basically to grow/bud. She's amazing and is going to be quite productive. The stretch just started today. She is not actually budding yet and just started showing preflowers on Day 30. I have not once had an auto begin to bud on Day 21. Earliest for me has been day 24, mostly after that. Guess maybe it is a strain specific thing? In two months this five gallon pot will be an absolutely solid root ball top to bottom. I know this because I did the same thing with the Sour Apple and her roots also filled the five gallon pot top to bottom all the way to the edge of the pot. So, in my humble opinion, it is definitely NOT a waste of time. It's the difference between a smaller and way larger rootball. That's a HUGE difference. My guess is that if I found the right strain I could fill a seven gallon pot top to bottom with a root ball from an auto. 60 days is a long time for roots to expand. Just my counter point to your assertion. Peace!

Chunkadelic Auto August 9.jpg
I wasn't saying she would be putting out pre-flowers or pistils that fast. Just saying that is the given time line for when their veg life ends & transition to flower begins. And you are right. It most likely is strain specific. But who knows which strain takes how long to start flowering unless they grew it before? I can only go by time lines given to me by the breeder.... which is usually off some. My N.L. Auto said 10 weeks.... lol. Took close to 16 weeks to finish. Damned thing got over 6' tall in my tent. Was a bitch to work with. I learned about LST after that nightmare.

I wasn't saying she would be putting out pre-flowers or pistils that fast. Just saying that is the given time line for when their veg life ends & transition to flower begins. And you are right. It most likely is strain specific. But who knows which strain takes how long to start flowering unless they grew it before? I can only go by time lines given to me by the breeder.... which is usually off some. My N.L. Auto said 10 weeks.... lol. Took close to 16 weeks to finish. Damned thing got over 6' tall in my tent. Was a bitch to work with. I learned about LST after that nightmare.
You got a NL autoflower to get SIX feet tall? Indoors in a TENT? Seriously? What did you do, just let it grow naturally with one big central cola? Got any pics? Redirect me if we're hijacking oldmanjj's journal?

What is that four plants in there, all in fives? And all NL autos? May I ask what breeder? And dude, this is astounding. I've never seen anything close to like this with autos. Incredible.

What is that four plants in there, all in fives? And all NL autos? May I ask what breeder? And dude, this is astounding. I've never seen anything close to like this with autos. Incredible.
I think there were 6 plants total. 2 of each strain. Back then I didn't know about lowering your lights or LST. The light started out at the top of the tent & stayed there the whole grow.

Here she is today, looking less happy than a few days ago.

How often are you watering & how much at a time ? Do you pH your water & nutes ? The one plant needs Nitrogen.
If you aren't feeding nutes I would start giving small doses at about 1/2 the strength they recommend.

No nutes. I'm using Michigan Meduims soil. The autoflowers have 1/2 bloom at the bottom 1/2 veg at the top plus a solo cup of start mix.

The water is ph'd between 6.5 and 7 as recommended by the soil manufacturer. I gass it off for 24 hours and then it goes into my 32 gallon water tank with 4 air stones to aerate it.

Water takes about 64 oz every 3 to 4 days to get runoff.

All my other plants are doing just fine, this is the only one not doing well. (Other plants are in my soil journal).

Here she is today, looking less happy than a few days ago.

Hey oldmanjj thought I'd stop in to say hi!

I'm afraid I won't be able to help much, as soil is my arch nemesis.

Regarding autos and their timing for flowering and finishing....there is no hard and fast rules. Breeders give estimates. There are many variables. I'm not sure if you've seen this post, it's by far the best I've seen regarding training/defoliation of autos. Multivortex nailed it.

You've got some great growers here helping you with soil and I'm sure you'll get your girls up in no time.

So I started thinking about what could have caused the slow death of the runt Auto flower. During the early seedling stage, i found a circle of what appeared to be mold on the soil, about the size of a 50 cent piece. I quickly removed it along with a good amount of the surrounding soil. Then I replaced the removed soil with fresh soil. Could that have been the cause? Hmm.

At the time, there was no exhaust fan in the tent. I had a small clip fan blowing from left to right as you look in the tent and thats it.

It seems odd that it didn't show up after I removed the spot, could it be down lower in the soil slowly killing my baby?

So I started thinking about what could have caused the slow death of the runt Auto flower. During the early seedling stage, i found a circle of what appeared to be mold on the soil, about the size of a 50 cent piece. I quickly removed it along with a good amount of the surrounding soil. Then I replaced the removed soil with fresh soil. Could that have been the cause? Hmm.

At the time, there was no exhaust fan in the tent. I had a small clip fan blowing from left to right as you look in the tent and thats it.

It seems odd that it didn't show up after I removed the spot, could it be down lower in the soil slowly killing my baby?
Hmm. No exhaust, plus (maybe?) a little overwatering equals high humidity and potentially mold, yes? I'm no expert, but in my experience mold grows top down. It forms first on the surface. I *think.* I can't imagine in the short time you're talking about that you would have mold below the "frost line" as it were. But like I said, this is only based on logic and minimal knowledge, not expertise. Heck, she could have just been a difficult seed, some of them are dicks like that. Look at my Hulkberry compared to the other photos that started the same day pretty much. She's way behind. Healthy, yes, but a runt from the get go. You gotta just go with it. As you know. Lol. It is a very interesting question, especially considering it's such a common thing. I hope someone with a lot more knowledge about this than I have chimes in on this. Which would be about everyone who follows you...Lol.

Back
Top Bottom