Paper towel method not working

Been a few years since I’ve let a sprout grow into the paper towel but if it does just take some scissors, cut out a section and plant the whole thing.

I used to just peel them off :rofl: . Most of them survived the experience, and most of them didn't end up producing opposite-sex flowers.

I’m pretty sure that the sprout is entirely supported by the rest of the seed embryo for the first while anyway, regardless of where it pokes its poker in its first day or two.

...and a lot of children suffer greenstick fractures growing up that are only ever noticed (if even then) during an x-ray consult later in life. Probably not a great reason for throwing your baby at the crib instead of gently placing him/her into it, though.

"Survival of the fittest," maybe ;) .

I used to use the paper towel method, now I scrape the seed with a knife/razor blade (scrape, do NOT cut) so that some dust comes off, then straight into a jiffy pod, under a dome, on a folded towel on top of a heat mat. I used to get about an 85-90% germ rate with the paper towel method, now I'm getting 100% not counting the one that tried to grow by shooting it's taproot up instead of down.
I still soak older seeds, but I scrape the shell first, and poke the seed every couple of hours until it sinks, then give it at least another couple of hours.
Good luck.

Basically, all you're doing by using the damp paper towel method is providing moisture to the seedcase to enable it to open. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It could even be better than the "glass of water" method if one is likely to forget about one's seed for an extended period of time. I suppose. <SHRUGS> It's probably better to be hit with a baseball bat than a load of #3 buck shot, lol. I doubt the person experiencing either one would describe it as pleasant, though.
Ya, probably better unless the baseball bat has a name, maybe a name like Lucille, and is wrapped in a crown of barbs.;)

Good analogies and a good message all round.

Enjoy the day.

Make the paper towel wet, and give it a good squeeze. It should be moist and not wet, it shouldn't drip.
Put the seed in the paper towel, note which way the pointy end points. Fold it a couple of times around the seed, and make sure there is good contact between paper and seed.
Put the paper towel in a zip lock bag, pointy end goes in first. The zip lock bag will keep the moisture level constant, so it must be right to start with.
Find a dark place as close to 26 degrees C as possible. Put the zip lock bag standing up. This will give you a straight tap root.

Have used the paper towel method for MANY years and it was fine about 90% of the time. The times it went wrong- bad tap water, too cold or too warm, waiting too long to plant. I’ve started just floating mine (90 % distilled, 10 % h2o2 (3%)) for 12 hours or so then just straight into the soil. Especially now growing autos, I don’t want to have to touch a huge root while planting and risk shock/death from my hands. Seems like it’s usually human error and not bad seeds in my case.

Back
Top Bottom