Princess Second Northern Lights Grow - All Welcome!

Re: Princess second northern lights grow-all welcome!

anyone know if my cfl light will penetrate through a clear cup? the taproot is buried but will it penetrate the clearness?

Yes, but that's OK. You don't want the taproot right out in the light, but in soil,the sun can penetrate at least an inch into the soil. I think the seed senses the sun and starts to sprout when that happens.

Oh ok! Good news! I checked on her to make sure she was doing ok and she somehow managed to flip herself over lol I put her in taproot down and when I uncovered a bit of soil she was taproot up and it really is growing! :) I'm so happy but slightly confused on how she flipped herself but oh well! I'll leave her be for a few days and hope she sprouts soon.

I'm so happy but slightly confused on how she flipped herself but oh well! I'll leave her be for a few days and hope she sprouts soon.

My guess is that as the taproot emerged, it started to push the seed away from the soil, and that caused it to turn over. Kinda like a baby turning in its mother's womb before it is born!

That's good news! It means the seed is alive.

How long do seeds take to sprout?

Usually 2 - 3 days.

You can cheat and see if the seed is germinating properly. I do this all the time.

Very gently remove the top layer of soil that is over the seed. I use my fingernail to slowly scape off a little bit of soil at a time. If you're not sure where the seed is, you may have to search through a larger area.

Once you've uncovered the seed, you can see the stage of its development. If it is sprouting properly, you should see the taproot and the stem sticking out of the seed cap. If you do not see this, but only see the taproot, it may not be developing properly, i.e., if the seed looks exactly the same way it did when you buried it.

If you do see the stem (and maybe a little bit of green leaf, cover it gently with a bit of soil and keep it moist and warm for a few more days and it should eventually pop the surface.

Don't worry about damaging the seed. As long as you don't crush it or tear it, you won't hurt it by having a peek. I did this with the seedling I just germinated and I did this on two of the seeds in my previous grow. One of the seeds was having a tough time breaking through the surface and first I buried it with less soil, and then a second time when it looked like it needed a bit more help.

This was the plant I called Little Sister on my journal. She was the runt of the litter, but my favorite plant and I took a clone of her.

I did that with my first grow because the soil was to compacted. I think she's just slow because when I checked on her last a few hours ago her taproot was just sliding out and I guess digging (that's how she flipped over right?) so she might take a few days and end up being a runt herself. I germinated two mystery seeds and put them in one solo cup until my pots get here in a few days. Will that be ok if they sprout in the same cup and then seperated?

Will that be ok if they sprout in the same cup and then seperated?

Sure, that's fine. I once accidentally planted two seeds in the same cup. They were right next to each other and were tangled together, like Siamese twins. I carefully untangled them and planted them in separate pots and they were fine.

I hope yours are a bit further apart!

Did either of these two seeds germinate yet?

Yeah there's about 1.5 to 2 inches apart. All of them were germinated around the same time and theyre all ok just incredibly slow. All 3 seeds have they're taproot all the way out digging so probably no sprouts for another few days. They all made a lot of progress though! If i add more light would that speed up the process or is it just a seed thing and I just have to wait?

im so clumsy, i knocked over my pot AGAIN! good thing i had a cover over it so the seeds barely got jostled :bravo: for planning ahead? anyways all 3 seeds are showing exceptional progress! the 2 mystery seeds are a bit quicker though i think because their taproots are borrowing at least a day faster than my northern light and i potted them AFTER i potted her! crazy right? i think because taproots are supposed to dig for water/nutrients in the wild the mystery seeds are doing better cause they didnt get much water so im making them work for it :) haha my northern lights seeds taproot looks like an s! shes not digging as much because she has a lot more water so i pressed on the surrounding areas and tried to drain as much water as possible so that she'd have to work a little harder.

I now have 1 18 watt CFL 1150 lumens in the soft white section (2700k) and 1 13 watt cfl 900 lumens in the cool white section (5000k) i think thats plenty for only 3 seeds wouldnt you think so? im going to be purchasing Y splitters soon (once theyre big and need more light) so that ill have 3 13 watt cool white CFLs and one 18 watt soft white cfl for a total of 3850 lumens for 3 plants in veg :) after my last failure im making sure i have PLENTY of light just in case. Any opinions from anyone feel free :) I know ggrant isnt the ONLY one out there! even though he's welcome im positive there are some more people out there! dont be shy!

Sounds like all the seeds are doing fine.

The lights you have now are sufficient. Is there any reason why you're not buying 23W CFLs? They're a better bang for your buck, I think. Two of these in a globe will put out a lot of light. I have two globes, each with two 23W CFLs and I'm using it for 4 plants. It's a bit crowded, but it works.

I couldn't find them so I resorted to 13w. My soil is to compacted I think because the seeds were having a bit of trouble pushing through so I kind of sifted through it so it would be easier however my northern lights seed curled her taproot back up! It was out and downward and now it's wrapped like an arc and I'm not quite sure why. No sprouts yet. Might get some new seeds from nirvana this weekend!

And thanks for tuning in deege! The more the merrier!

Thanks! it is much better to be safe than sorry! Recently i bought a lot of herbal seeds (the legal kind) like cilantro and lavender and everything and so i thought my bank most likely wont look into it if i put one more charge on but ill be on the safe side and ill just use a prepaid :)

Hi, my names paul, its good to see another cfl grower, im doing 4 plants under cfls, i havnt read all your journal yet but the cfls your using need to be the higher kelving range so 6700 kelvin for veg and 2700 for flower, the 6700 give off a blue ish light and the 2700 give off an orangish light and are labled as cool white, also with cfls, you can get them within an inch or 2 from the plant as the cfls lose loads of light when you get over an inch or 2 away from the bulb, you can try this by lifting your pot closer to the light and slowly move it away and you will c what i mean, also cfls give off more light along the side of the bulbs than the end, im in the process of fitting the anled bulb holder so i can use more of the light from the side of the bulb,

you may all ready know what ive told you, you can always have a read through my journal the link is below, theirs loads of tips and advice their from people who know a lot more than i do, so have a read when you get chance if you like,

i also found out today that the pots i had my plants in was full of roots, now the smallest of my plants was on its 1st set of real leaves after the seed leaves, and when i took this out the pot i could clearly see loads of roots running around the pot and poking out the bottom so i just transplanted them before they got root bound, ill keep reading your journal as i like to see how other cfl growers are getting on, their also another couple of cfl growers helping me on my journal so you could always ask them for advice as well, feel free to ask questions on my journal as im here to share what advice i can and learn as much as i can myself

anyway happy growing

I haven't been around lately as I have been very busy but I am stopping in to say a friendly hello Princess. Hope your seeds sprout soon I am waiting patiently to watch your grow. In the mean time I have been constructing a grow box slowly so hopefully my project comes along nicely.

Good Luck! :) and I am sure you wont have any problem ordering seeds online.

Back
Top Bottom