Psychoactive Mushrooms & Cacti Discussion

Glad u stumbled by dv8. What's your system for growing outside. I've wanted to have a crack at that for a while. We live in the same land btw.

Its not complicated and Ill try to explain best I can.

On the south side of the house is a walkway that sees no sun in winter. Its 1.75m across and about 13m long. I put concrete black plastic down over the sand and back filled with seasoned hardwood pallet chips, non painted, with some native hardwood (redgum) sawdust, and watered all summer, until it started its blackening decomposition.

The following winter went to an area I knew they grew in chipbark and put cheap bamboo skewers into the beds and left for around a month. Perfect time is 2 days after the first rain following the first frost, or recently watered after first frost.

When I collected the skewers the pointed ends and shaft were covered. Much easier than spores, and in those conditions it will travel just fine uncovered for a hours. I then pushed them into the prepped bedding in a staggered pattern. Each season across the entire season I do the same thing in the beds to fill in the gaps.

First year I got good growth but no fruit, by the second season first flush yielded around 20g dry (240 wet). They will multiply like mad, just need shade, ongoing damp, and first frost to bring them on.

I have stepping stones to leave them undisturbed as much as possible.

If you wanted to kickstart one you could just remove the understory of the chipbarks,I reckon if you moved a few buckets in May you should have results by late July if you used a seasoned substrate already settled in.

Heres a couple pics from mid winter (late June and early July) from last year mate @Stoned Ape .

Notice the deep blackish look on those chips and the mycellium strands popping through. Once they get thick like that they will push up 8, 10, 12 fruits to a body, snip at bottom, and they will flush multiple times so long as the weather is suitable.

The deeper the mulch layers the better they do. Ill be transporting these to the new digs when I move in a couple months.

20210624_165743.jpg

20210721_084107.jpg

Edit. In the second pic you can see a stick on the left. Just outside the fruiting area. Once its innoculated just move it to a vacant area for it to spread in mulch layer.

How'd the move go, DV8? Have you inoculated your new digs? I like your method quite a lot, and tried it with a clean jar of Tidal Wave#4 that I have, in March. I think the mycelium is coming together nicely in the location. I've left it to its own devices. It's in quite a pretty half oak whiskey barrel that's seen a few primes and is waaaay past all of them. Hopefully, the horsetail that's popped up won't disturb it too much - I'm a bit torn because the horsetails I only this year imported to my garden for making fertilizer due to their silica content, but it's not welcome in the cask and might have to go. #4 is a mutated cubensis unrecognizable as a typical cube. It's a brain with 12 vaginas kinda looking thing, a true Cronenberg monstrosity. Google, if you dare!

Hey @ReservoirDog thanks for the question.

I have shifted them to the new house, but not bedded them in. I did some documenting in my off topic thread.

Information regarding my particular species is not easy to find, however I have had some clues to transplanting wood loving Psilocybes and have changed my approach.

How it turns out will be interesting.

I have aquired some low flat containers for bedding in long term at my residence, and done some minor innoculation of good locations nearby.

Ive given some thought to trying some other methods including agar, spores, and controlled environment grows.

I will commence in earnest once my shed is complete. The northern edge on an easement will stay moist and cool for a great deal of the year, and this is the perfect spot once it becomes available.

In the meantime they are in temporary hold.

20220813_160225.jpg
20220813_160702.jpg

Sounds remarkable, the species I mean. When I looked it up is when I had a pang of anxiety over whether you'd carried it with you successfully. Well done, the road ahead looks quite interesting for you there and I wish you great success and happiness.

Although I am a poor man, by modern N. American standards, I was recently able to make a significant investment in cannabis and mycological grow gear due to a very generous benefactor. Weed-wise things are pretty straightforward, two 1000w (actual draw) Kingbrite bar light luminaires and two 5x5 tents, exhausts, automated HVAC etc in each, I've reno'd a closet for propagation and upstairs an inexpensive mother plant unit, suitable for maybe two sativas, or four hybrids, tops. Cheap LED shop lights, but do plants ever love vegging under bluish shop lights!

However, separate and as distant as was possible from where my 2 5x5 grow tents and equip are now setup I repainted and reshelved a spare room that's now a dedicated lab space and inside that room built a 1.5m x1.5 m room with an exhaust fan and built in table for the small laminar flow w/ hood I'm working on.

Sounds small, and it is, but it beats the hell out of the still air boxes I've been squinting through. My god, those things make me anxious. I am so glad the option was there so I could pick this hobby up, but it is clear that my enjoyment potential has a great deal of headroom.

Paradoxically, I have lived in spaces so small you couldn't imagine someone living through a Canadian winter in them, and been deliriously happy, but working in a still air box actually made me feel claustrophobic for the first time in my life. Of course, as a psychological condition, I suppose it makes perfect sense. Living in a tiny boat at sea reinforced a sense of ultimate freedom. Squinting through a semitransparent material in order to perform mm-perfect procedures with tweezers, in order solely to protect against an invisible enemy, reinforces severe restriction.

If I ever sail around the world I have a great many things I'd love to see and do in Oceania and I would def. take all the time needed. I'm going to add your fungi to the list, the rarer the better in my experience (to a point!), and any suggestions for local activities suitable for the experience are always welcome.

PS, Our fish took the bait, the hook, the line, and the sinker... (not that I'm holding an unbeatable hand by any means)

Hey guys, haven’t read the full 140 odd pages but really liked what I’ve read the last 5 or so.

Some really knowledgable people here, hoping to learn and grow as we go.

First timer growing shrooms, never even seen one before in real life but have a heavy interest in growing stuff and natural medicine (got a whole list of letters after my name and not the good kind so any help from nature appreciated)

I’m 8 days in at the moment and started to get pins this morning and by afternoon little mini mushroom volcanoes (as I said completely new think there must be a scientific term)

3F90D1E6-D1B4-409D-8A1E-A02C31610347.jpeg

I’m in a tub pre-filled with Amazonian spores from a head shop in the Netherlands.

Been doing a fair old bit of reading the past few weeks (have a newborn daughter so plenty of nighttime reading) so will eventually take spore prints of these and start my own cultivation process rather than buying.

Hope we are all well, looking forward to hearing from you all

Welcome!

Are you venting enough? I think humidity might be a bit too high and oxygen too low.

If you want to read get this but it's currently not in stock there The Psilocybin Mushroom Bible
Hey fender what’s happening mate?

I’m opening up 4-5 times a day and pumping the bag by hand to exchange air. Think you’re right with the humidity. Bit like when I started out with weed over watered the first few goes. Same principle here me thinks, just need to let them do their thing

Will definitely have a look for the book, thank you for the referral :)

Heya @JoetheChro! thanks for energizing the thread, and showing us pics of your primordia. I loved those kits when I was in NL, miss them and everything left behind me there, it’s my cultural, familial and spiritual home. *sniff* :(

I believe that the left over cake if fed to worms in a vermiculture setup creates potentially the best canna growing worm castings anywhere. Doubt the worms be trippin’ ballz like we did but the microbe population of anything consumed first by fungi, then by worms is quite a zymological “double-threat”! I hope to produce tens of kilos per annum of the stuff doing just that.

Best regards to you and yours. - rd

Heya @JoetheChro! thanks for energizing the thread, and showing us pics of your primordia. I loved those kits when I was in NL, miss them and everything left behind me there, it’s my cultural, familial and spiritual home. *sniff* :(

I believe that the left over cake if fed to worms in a vermiculture setup creates potentially the best canna growing worm castings anywhere. Doubt the worms be trippin’ ballz like we did but the microbe population of anything consumed first by fungi, then by worms is quite a zymological “double-threat”! I hope to produce tens of kilos per annum of the stuff doing just that.

Best regards to you and yours. - rd
Hey RD hope you’re well. Wow did not know that about the cakes and castings. Sound bit of advice and a route to some afternoon reading. Thank you 🙏

Hey fender what’s happening mate?

I’m opening up 4-5 times a day and pumping the bag by hand to exchange air. Think you’re right with the humidity. Bit like when I started out with weed over watered the first few goes. Same principle here me thinks, just need to let them do their thing

Will definitely have a look for the book, thank you for the referral :)

All good, practicing scales.

Oh that's okay then.. you want high humidity but once the pins are there fresh air as well.
Any growth the past days?

All good, practicing scales.

Oh that's okay then.. you want high humidity but once the pins are there fresh air as well.
Any growth the past days?
Yes had quite a surprise this morning, seemed to have gone crazy overnight.

5388EF92-F342-4514-AF38-FE10B4F1D9B9.jpeg

Had some issues with side pins forming. Looked like I had a mould issue just about developing because of them.

Panicked slightly as it’s my first time, felt that it would have been really hard to get to an optimal harvest time if mould was forming.

Harvested what was on top, on the early side, not what I would have liked but hoping I did the right thing.

Got the scalpels and tweezers out and managed to get all side pins and contaminated patches out. Might be fighting an already lost battle but have dipped the cakes back in water ready to hopefully start 2nd flush.

On the bright side had 7 grams fresh. Had a really interesting afternoon and got my socks knocked right off lol. Nice introduction to the world the gnomes inhabit

So I know now the dangers of side pins, think I know how to remedy them (@Fenderbender definitely a humidity problem as you foresaw from 1 pic!)

Have a million questions for you all, need to process today and will get back to you soon :)

Oh man? what kinda mould? yeah side pins are a pita although sometimes big shrooms come from there as well.. best thing is to make a fruiting chamber, where you can put the cake in without the plastic tub or bag that way side pins got all the room they need, and you can stick a thermo-hygro meter in there to see what's going on.

make sure you have disposable gloves you can just pick up the cake take it out of the tub and twist of all the sides and overgrowth, if you do everything with a light touch without bruising things too much it will be fine.

Oh man? what kinda mould? yeah side pins are a pita although sometimes big shrooms come from there as well.. best thing is to make a fruiting chamber, where you can put the cake in without the plastic tub or bag that way side pins got all the room they need, and you can stick a thermo-hygro meter in there to see what's going on.

make sure you have disposable gloves you can just pick up the cake take it out of the tub and twist of all the sides and overgrowth, if you do everything with a light touch without bruising things too much it will be fine.
Had a small area around one of the pins that had turned blue.

Have been reading up on making chamber and my own substrate. On the agenda for next grow

Happy weekend y’all

Can verbalise my trip a bit more now lol.

Think the best bit for me was taking the dog for a walk, I live along the coast so had the waves and wind really affecting my senses but in a pleasant way. Looked up and the sky and clouds were moulding together and tumbling like a pint of Guinness.

Didn’t have a sitter as planned, picked them and couldn’t wait, they were washed and eaten within five minutes. Felt like I was inviting chance of a bad trip by having one on standby (pirates never learnt how to swim as it was bad luck to the ships they would sail on, I had a similar reasoning)

Done some breathing exercises on my bed in a darkened room. That was really sound advice from an article I read, brought out the visuals and felt like I was becoming a giant mushroom with the mycelium as my pillow 😂

Very happy with the experience overall. Have got a load left that I’m drying now for microdosing in a couple of weeks

Back
Top Bottom