Question about seeds

It amounts to the same thing, except that a larger (?) plant is a tiny bit harder to quarantine and properly spray.

If your quarantine method is bombproof and you have some product that definitely kills all potential pests, and you use it properly, there’s no reason you can’t do this, on paper. If you quarantine and grow the plant long enough, any pests should become obvious eventually.

Like others here apparently I got bitten hard by ‘clean clones’ from a ‘friend’ and am just very happy to have the grow clean now. It would have to be a very very tempting clone for me to risk going through all that again.

It amounts to the same thing, except that a larger (?) plant is a tiny bit harder to quarantine and properly spray.

If your quarantine method is bombproof and you have some product that definitely kills all potential pests, and you use it properly, there’s no reason you can’t do this, on paper. If you quarantine and grow the plant long enough, any pests should become obvious eventually.

Like others here apparently I got bitten hard by ‘clean clones’ from a ‘friend’ and am just very happy to have the grow clean now. It would have to be a very very tempting clone for me to risk going through all that again.
This guy wouldn't let his own son in the HOUSE the grow room is in because "you look dirty".
But ive been seeing 99/100 opinions on clones be in line with what youre saying lol, so I will steer clear i think.
I do have a question though.
Lets my current grow just dies one day and my tents are empty(flower is empty right now anyways).
Is it then less of a risk since there are no other plants to be infected? Or would it survive in the tent and infect future plants?

Sorry ahead of time for dumb questions.

It depends what pest you’re talking about I suppose. My main struggle was with spider mites -the regular two spotted kind. I threw everything I had at them in terms of locally available pesticides. I completely shut the grow down several times, threw out all my plants, bleached all the walls and equipment, and repainted the grow- plywood walls, floor, and ceiling. The mites would reappear in weeks after startup.

At one point I left the rooms unheated and frozen for three months in winter. That didn’t help at all as the mites were just dormant and reappeared within weeks of restarting.

It turned out that they were in my house plants. I got rid of them there. Then the main culprit turned out to be my outdoor greenhouse which is fairly large. The mites weren’t apparent there because my usual temperatures here are too low for them to survive at anything more than a very low level.

So a lot of the measures I took could’ve been totally successful to get rid of the mites but the greenhouse just kept re-infecting my indoor grow. If I’d known this I could have (maybe) saved a lot of time and work.

I clearly remember one night, when I’d been been mite free for a couple months and I went and got some empty pots from the back of my greenhouse shed. It was about 10 below zero, everything frozen solid under the moonlight, (ever seen that movie ‘the Shining’ ?) and I remember thinking ‘I should probably wash these pots’. But they looked pretty clean and it was very hard to Imagine anything living surviving in this frozen wasteland. So I went ahead and used them in the indoor grow and within a couple weeks I was seeing mites everywhere again.

So yeah... speaking for mites anyway, they have some good survival strategies and can go dormant for long periods and they’re a pain in the ass to get rid of.

What worked for me in the end was a systemic pesticide called Mite-rid. I ordered it from Australia. There are other good options I’m sure. I live in a wet cold climate so the mites don’t survive here in the wild- so it was just all my buildings that needed treatment. If you live in a warm place with a lot of plants around you it could potentially be impossible to get rid of them and you’re stuck with doing constant damage control.

The whole thing was a bit of a nightmare and I still have mild PTSD

o_O

i have a mite factory on the outer side of the wall where my veg / clone space is...
i have to shut it down in mid / late summer. i have carpet in the space and had to spray it with a bleach solution to finally rid the dormant ones... :(

This is a two spotted spider mite that would be the likely outcome of taking in clones. Hemp mites are ever worse. That pic is from a usb microscope. But it shows the mom and eggs she's watching over. I probably spent couple hundred bucks on 4 or 5 types of sprays and months of headaches battling them.

That pic is from my garden last year. If it wasn't for the good people here guiding me I don't think I could have gotten rid of them.

Thanks to the community here on 420! I take their advice seriously. It's a wealth of knowledge

The best thing I've found for mites is to have a empty room, hang a hotshot pest strip for a week or 2. No more mites!
Definitely do not use around flowering plants though.

i used them in veg and, and once a couple wks in flower. you can use them in flower but only up to about 4wks or so. the stuff has an expiration half-life.

they are most effective in combo with another treatment option

would bud wash as well as a given under those circumstances.

i also limited exposure even in veg to 12hrs / day.
they are controversial but i like them.

my nemesis ... !

This is a two spotted spider mite that would be the likely outcome of taking in clones. Hemp mites are ever worse. That pic is from a usb microscope. But it shows the mom and eggs she's watching over. I probably spent couple hundred bucks on 4 or 5 types of sprays and months of headaches battling them.

That pic is from my garden last year. If it wasn't for the good people here guiding me I don't think I could have gotten rid of them.

Thanks to the community here on 420! I take their advice seriously. It's a wealth of knowledge

You could put 20 hemp mites on the backs of the 2 spotted fvcks. 2 spotted easy to get rid of like fleas. Spray the house down with weak solution of spinosad. That will get rid of the ones trying to hitch a ride into the grow room. Spinosad in a bacteria that is not harmful. They give it to pets orally as a flea repellent.

The reason for not taking clones for me are the Hemp Russet Mites. The really only way I got rid of them was to burn all my plants and start over. I tried everything sans very harmful pesticides. I cant use that shit.

I used to think 2 spotted mites were bad. a weekly IPM foliar with spinosad keeps them at bay. Hemp mites are totally different. burn baby burn and sulfur to go with. Pain in the ass and a shit ton of work then burn. Forgetaboutit.

Bud wash to get rid of the dead pests and their dirt they leave behind.

You could put 20 hemp mites on the backs of the 2 spotted fvcks. 2 spotted easy to get rid of like fleas. Spray the house down with weak solution of spinosad. That will get rid of the ones trying to hitch a ride into the grow room. Spinosad in a bacteria that is not harmful. They give it to pets orally as a flea repellent.

The reason for not taking clones for me are the Hemp Russet Mites. The really only way I got rid of them was to burn all my plants and start over. I tried everything sans very harmful pesticides. I cant use that shit.

I used to think 2 spotted mites were bad. a weekly IPM foliar with spinosad keeps them at bay. Hemp mites are totally different. burn baby burn and sulfur to go with. Pain in the ass and a shit ton of work then burn. Forgetaboutit.

I hear ya Bob. No clones for me. Even mites are a bummer to deal with. No dam way I want anything worse! Besides I a seed junkie. F... Clones :laughtwo:

wonder if the hotshot would hit those buggers ... ? not gonna volunteer to see lol ...

I hear ya Bob. No clones for me. Even mites are a bummer to deal with. No dam way I want anything worse! Besides I a seed junkie. F... Clones :laughtwo:

there's a shit load of hollyhocks just outside of my veg space ... those things are mite factories.. get rid of them anyway you can if you have them near.

if they weren't a nice old ladies' plants from next door i'd poison them ! the things are classed as weed here in the same vein as purple strife. they really shouldn't be grown on purpose. damn things used to be a staple in rural flower gardens as they grew insanely well and self-seeded. as old farmyards were abandoned they got outta control.

wonder if the hotshot would hit those buggers ... ? not gonna volunteer to see lol ...

there's a shit load of hollyhocks just outside of my veg space ... those things are mite factories.. get rid of them anyway you can if you have them near.

if they weren't a nice old ladies' plants from next door i'd poison them ! the things are classed as weed here in the same vein as purple strife. they really shouldn't be grown on purpose. damn things used to be a staple in rural flower gardens as they grew insanely well and self-seeded. as old farmyards were abandoned they got outta control.
If you research spider mites they are on all kinds of different trees and flowers. I've grown custom to getting in the shower before I go to tents, especially in warm weather

If you research spider mites they are on all kinds of different trees and flowers. I've grown custom to getting in the shower before I go to tents, especially in warm weather

Yeah this.... keep outdoor clothing outside specially during the summer and fall. They fly in on the wind too. Hemp mites fly around with just a little fan ffs. Once you get them you gotta tear down really only way to get them out.

Holyhocks do look pretty... in someone else's yard. lol

Tomato plants I've found to be a pest magnet as well. Tried growing them in my grow room one time along side cannabis. Wow that was an epic fail, never do that again.

Back
Top Bottom