Rapid Rooters for autos in coco?

About to germinate two autos today. I could germinate them directly into the coco or use my rapid rooters.

My question is if I use the rapid rooters, should I put the plug with the seed into the 3 gal pots or start the seeds in the plugs and then place them into the 3 gal pots once it sprouts?

Either way would work but autos are a different animal. Personally I would sprout it in the rapid rooter or possibly even in a solo cup cut in half to make it short. When it’s ready and has roots coming out the bottom nice and white cut the solo cup off or simply flip it upside down should pop out really easy.

Typical rapid rooter root ball here!! Got just under 21oz in a 4x4 tent, all 3 plants in rapid rooters!
IMG_20200322_091610.jpg
IMG_20200317_161242.jpg

I am old school I guess, I germinate by soaking the seeds for 24 to 36 hrs, then between paper towels.. Once sprout they go directly into Solo cups of coco/perlite, till the roots are well established. They go from the Solo's into their final 2 gallon smart pot with coco/perlite. And let the veg begin.
All that said but I don't grow auto's, but don't believe it would make any difference.

I have read that the rapid rooters slow down root spread and can be a point for disease due to them staying wet all the time with no ability to breath like coco does.

I am old school I guess, I germinate by soaking the seeds for 24 to 36 hrs, then between paper towels.. Once sprout they go directly into Solo cups of coco/perlite, till the roots are well established. They go from the Solo's into their final 2 gallon smart pot with coco/perlite. And let the veg begin.
I have read that the rapid rooters slow down root spread and can be a point for disease due to them staying wet all the time with no ability to breath like coco does.
I wouldn't say they stay wet any more than coco does, they definitely turn rock hard quick if they dry out though. I've never seen them inhibit root growth at all, even my pumpkins and tomatoes get sprouted in rapid rooters! IMHO they hold the perfect level of moisture when used for seed starting, I throw one in the center of my coco in the final 5gal pot, drop a seed in, soak the rooter and the coco real well and voila, a sprouted healthy plant!

I germinate until I see a tail, use a bamboo skewer to poke a hole 1/2 way down a Jiffy pod, set the seed root down, set it/them in the trays they give you on a heating mat, then wait.
I always have a hard time setting the seeds so I made this the last time. Works like a charm.
BFFD7801-5306-4298-A144-4134345A77C0.jpeg

I have germinated about every way imaginable. For coco I do what GR865 does. I soak them overnight to soften the shell. If I don't do that I have more instances of the shell not releasing when it pops up and I have to try to remove it manually. Then I put them between paper towels until the tap is about 1/4"-1/2" long. They go in solo cups until they are ready for a 3 gallon fabric pot.

For the solo part of the seedling stage I use (2) solo's one inside the other. I put drain holes in both using a soldering iron. I take sissors and slit the cup that is going on the inside completly down one side and across the bottom. This allow me to silde the inner cup out and gently peel it away when it comes time to transplant it. Coco doesn't stay together all that well and will crumble apart it you try to force it out.

For hydro I use rapid rooters of hydro. The fact that they hold water helps when they are just getting started before the roots hit the water and your top feeding them.

I have germinated about every way imaginable. For coco I do what GR865 does. I soak them overnight to soften the shell. If I don't do that I have more instances of the shell not releasing when it pops up and I have to try to remove it manually. Then I put them between paper towels until the tap is about 1/4"-1/2" long. They go in solo cups until they are ready for a 3 gallon fabric pot.

For the solo part of the seedling stage I use (2) solo's one inside the other. I put drain holes in both using a soldering iron. I take sissors and slit the cup that is going on the inside completly down one side and across the bottom. This allow me to silde the inner cup out and gently peel it away when it comes time to transplant it. Coco doesn't stay together all that well and will crumble apart it you try to force it out.

For hydro I use rapid rooters of hydro. The fact that they hold water helps when they are just getting started before the roots hit the water and your top feeding them.
I started using clear solos sleeved in whatever color. Helps me to see how far along the roots have developed.

I like the idea of using two Solo's, I may be waiting to long to transplant,

I've been using them for over 25 years without issue.......I wouldn't do it any other way.

Mick I used them when I tried DWC and they worked well. I was just reporting what I had read about them in coco.

Back
Top Bottom