Ratatatt's Virgin Grow v1.2 - Advanced LED - Blue Planet - Aero - Buffet of Flavors

Re: Ratatatt's virgin grow v1.2 AdvancedLED, BLue Planet, Aero, buffet of flavors.

Nice work...grow room looks great! good luck with the babies :thumb:

Re: Ratatatt's virgin grow v1.2 AdvancedLED, BLue Planet, Aero, buffet of flavors.

That light over the little ones is a Diamond Series LED from Advanced. It will fry the seedlings if it is right on top of them. Keep it where it is until they start getting a few more sets and then lower it a little, but no closer than 24" over them until you get them into veg.

looking at the leaves of the little ones, I may have had the light too close when they were so young and tender. A few of them are yellow on the tips? Not sure what it is, but I was thinking it was light

looking at the leaves of the little ones, I may have had the light too close when they were so young and tender. A few of them are yellow on the tips? Not sure what it is, but I was thinking it was light

Yellowing tips at that stage is fairly common and I doubt it's related to the light. Some people even take it as a sign of healthy root development.

speaking of yellow... my newest little babies have all poked their heads out and are looking a little pale. I'm hoping it's because they are looking for some sunshine... which I will start to give them now..
IMGP1144.JPG
IMGP11431.JPG

Looks awesome and I can't wait to see that room filled. I will tag along if you don't mind.:tokin:
Mind? heck.. I'm honored!!

I'll show you all things NOT to do..lol...

OOOoooohhhh... OK, i was under alot different of an impression on LED's... but thanks for the correction.

All LEDs aren't created the same. If this was one of those cheap 256 chip, 14watt panels you could put it right on top of them. These are using very intense 3w chips with a lens that focuses the light to a very intense beam.

LEDs have come a long way and the better quality ones are quite powerful.

That light over the little ones is a Diamond Series LED from Advanced. It will fry the seedlings if it is right on top of them. Keep it where it is until they start getting a few more sets and then lower it a little, but no closer than 24" over them until you get them into veg.

Would you say that the 100W penetrates just as far as the 800W, but only has an eighth of the footprint? Or would the 800 penetrate more because there are more LEDs overlapping? I would imagine that the 100W can get a little closer to the plants but I really don't know.

Would you say that the 100W penetrates just as far as the 800W, but only has an eighth of the footprint? Or would the 800 penetrate more because there are more LEDs overlapping? I would imagine that the 100W can get a little closer to the plants but I really don't know.

hmmm... good question

Re: Ratatatt's Virgin Grow v1.2 - Advanced LED - Blue Planet - Aero - Buffet of Flavo

short update. the mistreated aero babies don't look worse.. but no better yet.

so, this morning I gave them a shot of Blue Planet 3 part. a very small shot! Then tonight I checked the water in the system. The ph tested at 6.1, the ppm was at 598, and the water temp was 75 (ouch.. I think I need to wrap the tubes in mylar, maybe that will help just a bit). Room temp is 79f and the humidity is 58%

I also checked the water in the aero, the ph tested at 6.1, the pp

Re: Ratatatt's Virgin Grow v1.2 - Advanced LED - Blue Planet - Aero - Buffet of Flavo

Friday evening update. Walked into the room.. 73degrees at 49% humidity. Water in the aeroflo was 63 degrees, ph 5.5, and ppm was 589. So I guess that's good.

The 100 and the 800 use the same chips and lenses, they have the same penetration at their core coverage, just the 800 has a much bigger core. You can move it closer, but you are really taking a chance on doing some damage to the seedlings. Keep it higher for now, you'll know when they're ready for more intense light.

Well.. been an eventful weekend. When we originally fired up the cloner in the beginning, my wife added some cuttings from our garden and put them alongside the seedlings we were trying to get to root. Bad news... found spider mites on the cuttings.. and the seedlings. I think it's too late. Most of the seedlings had no green left, all yellow.

So we tore down the cloner, tore down the aeroflo, and gave all a good cleaning.

Time to start all over.

The seeds we placed in the grodan last weekend now have roots popping out the bottom of the cubes. Once I can get the aeroflo back up and running I will put the following in it.

Cream Caramel (x3)
AK48 (x5)
Lucy (x5)
Pineapple Chunk (x5)
NL x Big Bud (x3)
Big Bud#1 (x4)

Aero back together and cleaned, also covered the tubes this time.
IMGP11511.JPG

Here's our little seeds. 7 days from droppin' in the Grodan

Not sure how much longer I should wait before putting them in the aeroflo
IMGP11501.JPG

hello..... is there anybody home..lol

On a more serious note, I could really use a bit of help from anyone with aeroflo experience.

I've got the system all ready to go, and the seeds (as shown in posts #17, 28 & 38) are now showing multiple roots out the bottoms and sides of the cubes. So I'm guessing now would be as good a time as any to get them in the net pots.

My initial plan was to go with all the 8 week / indica strains in the aero.. as follows:
Cream Caramel (x3)
AK48 (x5)
Pineapple Chunk (x4.. because one seed never reared her head)
Lucy (x5)
NL x Big Bud (x3)
and Possibly Big Bud #1 which I think are a mostly Indica strain. (x4)

If I did all of these, that's 20 girls and 4 regular (unknown sex) in a 30 spot aero. I would then put the Sativa strains in the flood table.

I got to thinking tonight, that maybe I should change my thinkin'. The Indica's are going to be bushy, and fat plants..so they will be very crowded.. ?? I'm guessing. Oh.. as a refresher.. I'm using 2 DS200's over the aeroflo.

As I said, tonight I got to thinkin' maybe I should reverse that and put the taller sativa's in the aero.. as follows:
Cotton Candy (x3)
Arjan Strawberry Haze (x5)
Lemon Skunk (x5)
Kali Mist (x5)

This would give me 18 plants (all appx 10-12 week flower time mostly sativa plants) in my 30 site aero, and then I could put the indica's in my flood table.

My question to all you smart aero guys... which way should I go???

Thanks

Rattat,
Here's my take on the grow, and only my opinion.

1) Keep seeds/seedlings in a starter tray/pot. They are too delicate to go straight into the aeroflow system or into a cloner to start. Get a few healthy moms and then take some clone and put those into the aeroflo.

2) Treat your grow room like a laboratory. Outside plants and tools stay outside. Separate tools for indoors. Don't even wear the same clothes from outside garden to inside grow room. NEVER bring any plants from outdoors into your growspace.

3) Do not put unknown sexed seeds into your aeroflo. By the time the male expresses itself it will have a root mass that is so intertwined with the other plants you won't be able to pull it out cleanly. This will leave behind dead/dying/decaying root matter that will screw with your pH. (remember first rule--only female clones go into the aeroflo).

4) You can grow sativas or indicas in the aeroflo, but best not to mix them together. Also do not let them get more than 6~8 inches tall before flipping them to 12/12 (again, this is why I only use clones in the system)

5) Pick no more than two strains to put into the system, strains that will finish at the same time. You don't want to chop at different times (see rule #3 about rotting roots). I would also suggest keeping the strains in their own tube, just in case you need to chop one before the other, you can remove all of the roots from one side.

I think the most effective way to grow with an aeroflo is clone to 12/12. Master the cloning process and you will have an awesome setup. Start with only a few strains, ones that aren't too picky and then move on to more. You will get into a rotation where you are harvesting every 7~8 weeks with the system if you have a good clone rotation going.

You can go from seed-to-mom-to-clones in about 4 weeks then it will take those clones 2 weeks to be ready (rooted and new growth) for the aeroflo system. This is your biggest time hurdle. After growing your initial moms out, the rest of the process is almost on autopilot.

Again, these are only my opinions and based on my experience with the aeroflo and DIY NFT systems.

I hope you and the Misses have a great harvest when this is all dialed in.

Thanks a million times over, and congrats on the NotM.

I realize now I jumped way before I was ready. I have already come to terms with the fact that the aero system is best used from clones. My problem, I have feminized seeds, and no plants to clone yet. Again.. I read.. I jumped!! I should have read, and read some more.. then walked.

My wife & I both also learned about the no outside plants inside... just a little too late. Hey... we're learning, and I always have to learn the hard way.

There were a lot of flaws in my initial thinking. Not knowing what would help my wife the best, I wanted to try many different strains. I should have probably stuck with soil, or something more simple until we had all that figured out. Again.. I always seem to jump first, then look to see if I remembered the parachute.

I guess I need to re-think all this one more time and figure out what is the best way to proceed with what I have.

K.I.S.S.

just seems like a LOT of kids for your first run.... if it were me i would only do a couple or 4 plants per tube.... but then again if it were me i would do my first grow in soil, and practice with 2 or 3 plants, then get familiar with cloning, get good at not killing your plants. then after a successful harvest tweak/expand your grow.....

keep in mind i have yet to grow anything, just my thoughts on the matter.....

Back
Top Bottom