Rick Simpson Oil

couchguy2000

just finished my 2023 harvest ...unfortunately I still have about a pound of pretty decent weed left over from my 2022 grow . my plan is to turn the surplus into oil using everclear ..my question ..if I plan to only use the oil to smoke in joints I assume I dont have to decarb ??

just finished my 2023 harvest ...unfortunately I still have about a pound of pretty decent weed left over from my 2022 grow . my plan is to turn the surplus into oil using everclear ..my question ..if I plan to only use the oil to smoke in joints I assume I dont have to decarb ??
As I understand it, burning it in a joint does the job just like smoking bud

If you're using the standard rice cooker to evaporate off the alcohol, it should (at least mostly) decarb in the process. If you then light it on fire I'm not sure what the effect would be.

Overheating during the decarb process can lead to more and more of the THC converting to CBN, but I don't know how fast that happens. Or, more to the point, I don't know if burning it would have time to convert it. I would think it would be too fast to have much effect, but don't really know.

If you're using the standard rice cooker to evaporate off the alcohol, it should (at least mostly) decarb in the process. If you then light it on fire I'm not sure what the effect would be.

Overheating during the decarb process can lead to more and more of the THC converting to CBN, but I don't know how fast that happens. Or, more to the point, I don't know if burning it would have time to convert it. I would think it would be too fast to have much effect, but don't really know.
I've read posts from people who have smoked decarbed weed. Apparently it tastes bad but hits hard.

I do all my extractions at the coldest point of winter outside
I never decarb my weed first & when distilling I keep it below 190f
Like to put a drop on ash in the pipe to get the full taste, hits like a hammer
Have smeared papers & have a @Yocan Official 4 quad vape, both work
Concentrated cannabis oil (cleaner RSO) puts me over the top
I also use it in pain lotions undecarbed
Make some Winter Hash

Hey what’s up couchguy?

I’m not sure how easily RSO will burn… it’s thick AF plus the whole point of RSO is to bypass combustion. Personally I prefer to decarb up front but yes it can be done before or after the extraction

However I’m always down to learn new stuff so keep us posted on your progress
Hey now! I don't grow, but trying to learn how easily to make my own RSO, to mix with a carrier oil for "lupus hands" ( painful numb etc) I keep reading about "decarb" is that a must? What exactly is it, and could I do that step if my hands don't work so well? Thank you 🙏🏻

Welcome to the Forum, Stella!

If you're going to use a carrier oil anyway, you can just extract in that since the trichomes will dissolve in oil just like they will alcohol or some other similar liquid. Depends on what you want for an end product, though. If you want a spreadable oil then I'd go with grape seed oil if I wanted absorption, or EVOO or coconut oil if I wanted something that wouldn't be absorbed so quickly.

Decarb is the process (typically) of heating the buds with the trichomes to activate the thc. Decarboxylation is when a carbon atom is detached from the acidic version (thc-a, cbd-a, cbg-a, etc) of that cannabinoid and "activates" it. If you heat some bud in oil to a high enough temperature for a long enough period you can watch the decarb take place since it will bubble like crazy. Once all the tiny bubbles stop your cabbinoids have been fully decarbed. I do mine in an Instant Pot which makes it pretty easy. But that's not Rick Simpson Oil.

Many of us stop short of that full decarb though for a couple of reasons. First, some of the early decarbed thc will begin to degrade into cbn, the sleepy time cannabinoid, and second research is showing some very positive effects from the acidic versions so keeping some of those can be of medicinal value.

Hey now! I don't grow, but trying to learn how easily to make my own RSO, to mix with a carrier oil for "lupus hands" ( painful numb etc) I keep reading about "decarb" is that a must? What exactly is it, and could I do that step if my hands don't work so well? Thank you 🙏🏻

I Also have bad hands. I just thin my oil with a bit of alcohol & add it to a store bought lotion.
or use some that I haven't evaporated it all out.
I don't decarb here is a link to do alcohol extraction Grandpa Gets Oily! Everclear Extracts For Shatter Or Oil! I reuse my alcohol with a distiller
An oz only gets about 6-7 grams but it is super concentrated , time to start growing

Howdy all i tried the everclear oil thing and did what you want to do put it on a joint UGGG maybe I didn't do something right byt it tasted like shit!!! I ended up getting a Ardent Flex for our decarb and butter coconut oil,or MCT oil infusions and a nug smasher press for my wax or shatter the wax on the parchment is usually blonder but i went a tad to long about a minute a minute and a half i wrnt 2 minutes the oil out of the press is MUCH BETTER than the everclear deal but the pressis a costly but 1 time investment ✌️

IMG20231118125709.jpg

IMG20231118125215.jpg

IMG20231123060359.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, Stella!

If you're going to use a carrier oil anyway, you can just extract in that since the trichomes will dissolve in oil just like they will alcohol or some other similar liquid. Depends on what you want for an end product, though. If you want a spreadable oil then I'd go with grape seed oil if I wanted absorption, or EVOO or coconut oil if I wanted something that wouldn't be absorbed so quickly.

Decarb is the process (typically) of heating the buds with the trichomes to activate the thc. Decarboxylation is when a carbon atom is detached from the acidic version (thc-a, cbd-a, cbg-a, etc) of that cannabinoid and "activates" it. If you heat some bud in oil to a high enough temperature for a long enough period you can watch the decarb take place since it will bubble like crazy. Once all the tiny bubbles stop your cabbinoids have been fully decarbed. I do mine in an Instant Pot which makes it pretty easy. But that's not Rick Simpson Oil.

Many of us stop short of that full decarb though for a couple of reasons. First, some of the early decarbed thc will begin to degrade into cbn, the sleepy time cannabinoid, and second research is showing some very positive effects from the acidic versions so keeping some of those can be of medicinal value.
Wow!! See you know I appreciate that. That's what I needed for me to explain it to me like that. Lupus plus ADHD and decarb doesn't go ha ha I just can't believe that I can't find somebody up in Tahoe that would make me this jar for the amount that they would need to make I live in a subsidized housing so I would get kicked out if I even tried to do anything like that , so I'm trying to keep it like on the down low simple easy nothing too fancy. But it seems like it's going to be hotter than I thought and I'm just gonna either have to check up to Tahoe and meet some people or spend the money for such a small amount, I appreciate that. I understand it much better just doesn't make it any easier

Hey what’s up couchguy?

I’m not sure how easily RSO will burn… it’s thick AF plus the whole point of RSO is to bypass combustion. Personally I prefer to decarb up front but yes it can be done before or after the extraction

However I’m always down to learn new stuff so keep us posted on your progress
I didn't decarb before soaking in everclear ..I put 15 ounces of purple kush through a blender , grind it lightly for about 10 - 15 seconds to not obliterate it . I used two 26ers of evervlear for an overnight soak in a gallon size mason jar ..strained the mix twice through coffee filters which took forever ( 90 mins ) ..in my garage with doors open I heated the liquid to 160 degrees on a George Foreman flat grill stirring every few minutes ..it took about 6 hours to evaporate down to a thick oil . I dont like it super thick , just thick enough so I can still spread it on a paper with a hair pin ....I got 65 grams of oil from 15 oz of weed ...i let the joint do the decarb ....its fantastic

Back
Top Bottom