Skunk#1, 3x Sour Cream - 400w HPS - Soil / coco

nft4life

Bucket Size - 3x11 l, 1x16,5 l
Medium - cactus soil / regular soil / hydropebbles
Lights - 400w HPS
Nutrients - GHE Grow/Micro/Bloom
Strain(s) - Skunk#1, Sour Cream
# of Plants: 4

Hey'ya. A new journal for the new grow. Hopefully with better luck than last time! All the plants have been veg'd already, so they are in the 11/13 cycle. Here are the pics.

The mother sour cream with almost over 2month veg. Been in flowering for about four weeks now (SOIL)
sc.JPG

The Sour cream junior (cutling). Been in flowering for two weeks now! (SOIL)
scjr.JPG

There's also one more tiny Sour cream cutling in the grow, but it never gre very tall.. i still decided to keep her in.

And finally the skunk#1, have been in veg cycle for about three weeks, now in flowering for a week. Looking nice and bushy, nice to have some indica dominant plants to my room for a change! (COCO)
skunk13.JPG

Nice bushy girls man... Can't wait for my babaez to grow up

Thanks!

Temps at the growroom are around 26C with just T5s, and around 35C with HPS on.. when the door is ajar, i can leave the HPS on and the temps are around 28C. Serious ventilation problems. Thinking about downgrading to 250w HPS or to experiment with LED's in the next grow. Let's see, but let's now focus on this one.

A time for the weekly photo update!

Here's the bastard sour cream:
DSC016243.JPG

Sour Cream Jr:
DSC016251.JPG

Sour Cream Sr:
DSC016221.JPG

Skunk:
DSC016211.JPG

Damn there lookin good

dude you should have no problem cooling a 400w with a inline fan!

pulling thru the hood?
are you exhausting thru that carbon filter?

The problem, as i see it, is that the the HPS creates hot air which is then exhausted out of the tent with the inline fan, but the warm air does not flow out of the growroom quickly enough (unless i keep the door open which i don't want to do too much) which leads to the fact that part of the warm air flows back to the circulation increasing the temps even more. I can't modify the growroom too much as the place is rented, so i basically have three options A) keep the grow room door open B) use lights that do not require active cooling (T5HOs or LEDs) C) buy a new door.

Even if i choose to use the LEDs and T5HOs i would have over 400watts (422W to be exact) of light (with specifically tailored spectra compared to the 400w of full-spectrum light of the HPS) in the room with dramatically decreased heat production - it should be enough for a small 80x80x180 tent! The main problem with HPS is the production of infrared wavelenght which is not beneficial at all. Moreover it's impossible to eliminate the heat caused by IR by using fans as it's basically light radiation.

The T5HO fixture consists of 70% PURple light, 20% Cool White (6500K) and 10% arctic white (10K), while the UFOs produce red-orange-blue (8 : 1 : 1) color temps. With these lights I estimate to be able to keep the temps at 25C even with the growroom door closed.

What do you think?

Sorry for no new pics, ppl. My laptop got screwed up so i have no chance to upload any photos now. I might upload them all later when i get the problem solved..

Anyways, now i'm running my grow with two 90w UFO-leds, and looks like they are doing their job excellently. I want to add the 144w fluros in there but i would have to think of a way to attach it there first. Damn that light looks cool, almost addictive. I love to watch the garden, but now it's actually hard to resist NOT watching it. Sober.

The temps that used to be over 33C are now down to 23-25C tops when the tent and growroom door is closed. Quite optimal for my purposes, might even get that red/violet tint to it. I love it how quickly the skunk is developing compared to the sluggish sativas dominants i have had previosly and the sour creams i still have in. Sour creams smell better though, very sweet, almost "meadowly" smell. They seem to like the soil better than coco, most likely due to my growing methods which are not too orthodox.

The UFOs have been in the room for a week now, and so far they seem to be doing their job perfectly. I'll flower these girls for about 4 weeks now, and by then i should have my White Indica seeds germinated and ready to be grown.

Peace y'all

Was curious about your lighting options?

Could you use a 600watt in the tent? If you went for LED lighting, would it be as productive for a similar sort of yield as the 400HPS is at the moment?

Chillers can assist in rapidly moving the heat from the airduct to another place but the heat still needs to be dumped somewhere. NFT cannot modify his current location by cutting holes so he has nowhere to dump large quantities of heat once generated. So, he has little choice but to select light options that run cooler.

Best of luck to you NFT and keep sharing your successes and failures with us. We appreciate the trailblazing work you are doing for our community.

Was curious about your lighting options?

Could you use a 600watt in the tent? If you went for LED lighting, would it be as productive for a similar sort of yield as the 400HPS is at the moment?

Hello!

It's possible, although foolish - as 600w HPS is way too much for a tent this small. 400w would be perfect, but i have no way of conducting enough cold air to the closet wherein the tent is located - without keeping the door open which is not possible 24/7.

Anyways, the LED should be as efficient as the 400w HPS but let's see. I'm going to use only LEDs in my next project!

so, u not using ur HID now?

imho a chiller>>leds to solve heat issues

leds are crap from what ive seen.

and your right Sativa Strains are really commercial, most people grow indicas specially in a tent.

No, i'm not using the HID. The HPS produced way too much heat in the tent, so I had to try an alternative. So far i've been very happy with the LEDs. I'll post pics when i get my computer repaired so that you can see!

Chillers can assist in rapidly moving the heat from the airduct to another place but the heat still needs to be dumped somewhere. NFT cannot modify his current location by cutting holes so he has nowhere to dump large quantities of heat once generated. So, he has little choice but to select light options that run cooler.

Best of luck to you NFT and keep sharing your successes and failures with us. We appreciate the trailblazing work you are doing for our community.

Indeed! Thanks, no problem at all. I'm planning to use only leds and fluros in the next grow so i can get some data on the efficiency myself. At this point, I can only say that the LEDs do work, and the plants are flowering beautifully, even after taking turning the HPS light off.

I'll upload some pics very soon! The SC have been in flowering now for 10weeks, so it's time to flush and harvest very soon.

WOW!! The latest pictures really do show the success you are having with the LED's.

It's funny because I have read all sorts of poor ratings and the setups being bagged by the HPS crowd, but your pictures show that it can be done and with great results!!

Thank you for posting your journal.

Back
Top Bottom