Small Backyard Garden With Various Strains & Methods & More

DUDE! pulling those sun leaves from the bud nodes is SLAUGHTERING your yield! Stop it!

I worry about that, too, Man. I topped this plant and it has a very closed shape. I should have topped it cleanly but I fimmed and ended up with a trident shape with a weak middle stem that shades the branches.
It is also still growing foliage vigorously. There must be a lot of nitrogen still in the garden bed, too. I haven't given it any in over a week.
There is a lot of bud growth on the lower bud site that would not have any light otherwise. We will see if the additional growth at the bottom is good. We'll know in a week or two. It will be a small plant in any case, so it's a good one to experiment with defoliation.

Here we are in august, the fire og is flowering, the other clones not so much. Everything is growing pretty well but the yellow spot is a plague. I have been removing dozens of leaves with the spot each day. They all have a lot of leaves but it's many weeks to go. I can see how commercial growers would be pressed to use Eagle or some systemic fungacide like that. I have been spraying weekly with green cure and Serenade. I can't spray the flowers after another couple weeks.

Started a couple quick side projects to try to get them in before fall.

Here are the chemdog, tangie, and fog.

Here is the tangie. It is a light lime green. I thought it might be iron or zinc deficiency. I gave it a supplement last week but I don't see much change. I don't think it is ph or a root problem, because it's growing fine and the ph tests ok. Both tangie are light, so I'm not too worried. I don't think the fungus can cause this.

Here's the fire og. They have been in preflower since end of June! They just are moody about the cool nights and cloudy days. They have single leaves and have not grown a compound fan leaf in weeks. They are covered in sticky resin and I have to wear gloves to handle, otherwise I end up with finger hash. They have been showing a fair amount of septoria, especially the far one that was closest to the removed chem. I think these will be lovely hashy buds if they live.

Here is the larger white widow, that I am trying defoliating on. It is budding out and just starting to trichome heavily. It's day 65 I think, the longer they stay out, the better. I have only found a couple of spotted leaves on this.

The pot on the left has the WW left to grow as it wants. I saw a couple spotted leaves, so those have to go. This is at day 48 or so, maybe threes weeks to go.
The two in the pot are some cutting from the chemdog that I took about a month ago. I was going to bring them inside but noticed some spotting, so no way. They're cute, should get a few buds.

Here is what the flowering on the WW looks like.

And this is the other WW. The buds are longer (stretched) because of less light. The calyx are larger, but maybe that is because they are easier to see. It would be interesting if the untended plant yields what the other does.

Here are a some bubba kush autos that I started last week. The seedlings have been hardening off for a couple days so I'll transplant tonight. Let's see how autos do this late in the season.

Nice man good lookin WW Autos, who's the breeder? Here's mine, about 70days from seed ..
Trained, no defol or cutting.
420-magazine-mobile1912136421.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1703831980.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1023369113.jpg

Cheers nighthawk .
My plants are my pride and joy . no kids to worry about for me yet, plenty of time while I study. When she's not out in the sun she sits in front of my in the lounge room while I chill .

Those are good looking WW, knighthawk. I got my WW auto from nirvana. I never grew autos before, and that was my first tent grow, so I don't have much to compare. The growth is pretty modest but quick.

So I check the plants this morning and I find this egg menace on the white widow. Of course it is on the plant that I haven't sprayed because it is too close to done. I didn't find any others.
I think this is stink bug eggs. Can you imagine an army of these b*stards hatching and eating all the foliage the day before harvest. Yikes.
I saw some grasshopper bait in the organic catalog, I think I'll order some.
Those eggs are in a jar now, let's see what hatches.

Here's what's going on with my fungus. I pulled these from the chemdog. I tried to pull all the spotted leaves yesterday, I'm sure I missed some but not all these. This is daily or twice a day. The plant is still growing leaves but I worry what will happen when it starts flowering and isn't replacing these.

I just sprayed this plant yesterday with GreenCure and neam, and bacillus the day before. I have some SNS-244 natural fungacide based on plant oils, I'll try a test spray today, it looks like it will be cloudy all morning at least. I have been reading that this fungus is becoming a big problem in commercial operations. I can see why.

Of course part of my problem is humidity. We reach dew point every night, so the leave sit wet in the night. At least all this spraying might keep the powdery mildew away. The worst part about that is it gets on the buds.

The progression of the septoria is clear on these leaves, first edge yellowing and spots, spreading, chlorosis, and leaf death.

:yikes:

Hey mate, damn your good at spotting and removing the bad stuff, that's quite a few eggs!! Stink bugs aye?
I'm lucky enough to not get frosting / much dew even at the peak of winter, but I have considered frost cloth if it became an issue.. could you put anything above / around your plants? Might be time for a greenhouse in your area .

Thanks GR. It's not too hard to find critters in my yard, that's for sure. I have been thinking about a greenhouse in back. This may be the year that convinces me. This is the first year that I have been at all serious about growing mmj and considering my consumption levels versus dispensary prices, it would be cost effective. Used to be a couple plants were all I needed, but requirements change.

The insects aren't too bad. I can see the leaf damage from the chewers and I know they spread the fungus. The powdery mildew is a problem. It gets on everything here. This area is famous world wide for its fog, so that comes with the deal. This is the first year I've seen this yellow spot. I'm afraid it won't be the last.

Also the sun and temperature is a challenge. Some summers we go for weeks without sun, high temps in the 60s. And every night the lows are below 60, so that's a real grower challenge. That is why I put some plants in early this year, in case we got the usual gloom the plants would have time to get at least a few feet tall. That plan did not work out, I think the extra time in the ground exposed them for too long to the mold spores. Plus the flowering/reveg that happened. The weather, for me, is ideal but not so much for mmj. :)
I am still trying to figure out what grows best here. Could be that a series of autoflowers work best. That's why I have so many plants, although, why not?

But, yeah, a greenhouse. I think I could talk myself into that. It's not even expensive, some stock lumber, etc. there are reasons I could not do that last year, but I might be able to carry it off this winter.
The more I think about it, GrimR, the more I like your idea.:high-five:

Here's the chem dogs. The first looks the best. It's in a planting bed with more root room, better draining soil and more water. They are all very dense plants and covered with resin. I get finger hash when I groom them.
They all grew rapidly and then at the end of June they slowed down. They haven't grown a compound leaf since then. In the photos you can see the preflowér mass and single leaves. The back plants are more stripped down and exposed because I've needed to remove sick leaves.
They're sort of unusual looking.

I heard treating the soil in winter with sulfur can help kill fungus.

Thanks for the suggestion, Man. Sulfur will definitely kill active powdery mildew. I had some peas planted this spring and as they got to ripening they took on the PM and within days had large patches of the plant covered with it. I had some sulfur RTU and sprayed them and the mildew was under control right away. It was badly damaged but all the pods filled out and ripened. I lost about a third of one of my mj plants in flower about 4 years ago the same way, and learned to be more vigilant.

I was not able to treat the soil at the end of last year but in the spring I applied a wetable powder sulfur to the whole area. I don't think it kills the spores but it will kill the emerging fungus.

Now I find that sulfur is not approved for mj, but copper is. There is a good list of approved pesticides from the state of Oregon available on line. So if I cross reference that with OMRI, the organic gardening, that's my guide.

This year, the plan is, spray the entire grow area with copper at the end of the year, and repeat in the spring before planting. Plus this is the first year I have used microbiol controls. So I'll be spraying Serenade or actinovate and compost tea from the get go. I'd like to spread the whole area with a layer of compost and put in another planting bed. If I am ready willing and able, haha.

Here are the white widow autos. They are getting very close, so it's trich watch time.
I believe the big one is day 68 and the small one is day 47, but I could be wrong about the second one. It is so far along, I think it may be older by a week.

Interesting comparison, the big one was topped and trained and the little is almost completely untouched, except for pulling maybe 5 fan leaves that were showing spots. Actually I will pull the larger older leaves, about six or eight, to let the lower younger green ones get more light.

These are getting gooey to the touch and smell great. The trichs are still coming and are clear as water on the big one, and some slight cloudiness on the smaller. We have been getting our summer gloom here, which is good for slow ripening I think. Yesterday the high was 62 and cloudy, so no direct sunlight all day. Ah, the Bay Area summer. Today the sun may come out in the afternoon and it will get into the 70s.

Smaller WW on the left in the 5g pot, bigger one on right in the ground. The large one is about 39 inches tall and spans about 30 inches, the small one is 30 tall and 12 wide.

Back
Top Bottom