Small Backyard Garden With Various Strains & Methods & More

Looking good!

:thanks:

I'm thinking about making dry ice hash a lot of the two WW. Save the tastiest flowers and make some clean bubble hash to mix in. I've never made it before, although I've done cannabutter, and will again with a lot of the whole harvest. I dose mostly with edibles. So it's edibles for business and smoke for pleasure :)

I wonder if the smaller plant will have less yields but tastier flowers? We'll find out...

:thanks:

I'm thinking about making dry ice hash a lot of the two WW. Save the tastiest flowers and make some clean bubble hash to mix in. I've never made it before, although I've done cannabutter, and will again with a lot of the whole harvest. I dose mostly with edibles. So it's edibles for business and smoke for pleasure :)

I wonder if the smaller plant will have less yields but tastier flowers? We'll find out...

even with all the new concentrates, there is something very special about a full melt bottom bag ice water hash. Mmmmmmm

Here's a full shot of the WW

IMG_030959.JPG

View image in gallery

Here's my autos, germinated 7/24. They are growing a bit slow and had trouble taking up nutrients. They had a pale grayish color. I fed them dilute 5-1-1 and second feed a little 2-2-2 with it. It has been cool and overcast, the overcast is ok but below 62 deg I don't think they can grow. I am going to give them a weak foliar today.

Surprisingly the plant in the wine barrel is growing the slowest. It is the smallest, but was the largest when I transplanted it. Good roots. The difference was apparent the next day, in color and vigor, and within a couple more days the growth difference became clear. The other two have started greening up better.

So maybe the soil, but I wouldn't expect it so quick, it's mostly the same mix at the top. I double checked ph. Or maybe I roughed it up transplanting. Maybe it has the small plant in big pot syndrome, usually overwatering. I've tried to be careful. Or maybe it's something about the container, gets cooler at night. Dunno.

The little freebie that I put in after is doing ok. I sowed that directly into the soil after germinating and it's nice and green and growing. I need to find a better germinating medium than jiffy pots.

Today is august 16, there have been 56 days since the summer solstice and we will get 13.5 hours of sunlight today. All of the original clones are flowering. There is still the yellow spots but that seems to be getting under control, let's hope so. Still spraying.

Here is a little tour

IMG_031156.JPG

View image in gallery

Newest first, here's the tangerine auto, about two weeks old

Here are the bubba kush autos. The smaller one in the barrel is greening up but the difference in size is more dramatic

A couple of cuttings from the chemdog that I rooted a while ago.

The two white widows, harvesting soon

The tangie in the front row, light green and flowering

The chemdog. Had a flower stretch so the game is all above the net now. Starting to flower, just barely. I should have starting cutting this back at about 3 feet. I wasn't sure how to train it because it had that wild reveg, but cutting it back might have controlled the legginess. I can see where I started bending stems and such, but topping would have been better I think. It had the septoria so bad I was fearful it would not make it if I sent it into shock by overtrimming.

The tangie in back, light green too and flowering. It will probably mature fastest because of its size. It started flowers a week before the other.

Fire og in back. These are forming dense flower structures. They had a bit of a stretch and lightened up in color.

The tangie in front light green like the other.

The fire og in front. Notice it is lighter green and stretched more than the ones in back.
The fog in front was trained like the WW in front of it, I topped it above the 4node and spread the branches. For the fog I topped all the branches too. The fogs in back I did not top the meristem, I pulled it back along a slanted stake and then topped the branches to get more fullness and keep the size manageable.

This is about the right size for my space, under 4 feet high and wide. I will put two per planting bed next year, which is the spacing I've used before.

Thanks and best wishes

:peacetwo:

Stink bugs!
I found some eggs on one of my plant last week, it's posted up earlier. So I put them into a jar, a gang of little stinkers hatched.
After googling stink bug, I also see that these are what's causing damage on my apples.

Haliamorpha halys... chewing happily on mj. Pictures aren't too clear through the jar, these things are currently the size of the head of a pin, they get maybe half an inch.

Stink bugs!
I found some eggs on one of my plant last week, it's posted up earlier. So I put them into a jar, a gang of little stinkers hatched.
After googling stink bug, I also see that these are what's causing damage on my apples.

Haliamorpha halys... chewing happily on mj. Pictures aren't too clear through the jar, these things are currently the size of the head of a pin, they get maybe half an inch.

Do you know of any predatory bugs that could fight them?

Do you know of any predatory bugs that could fight them?

I don't know what would eat these stink bugs, as commercially available predatory, maybe praying mantis. I have never used predatory bugs I've only seen them in catalogs. They're too big for anything like ladybugs.
I don't use any broad spectrum insecticide or anything like that so my yard is filled with critters and birds. Surely spiders eat them. And birds. Wasps, dragonflies, those are all natural predators here. If there's spiders or webs on the plants, that means they have an infestation of something else (gardening tip :) so if you get rid of the something else, you rid the spiders.
Apparently these stinkbugs are invasive species that's a spreading problem. Soap and neem.

More trouble in paradise...

Little spots of PM. There's a lot of old leave material and larf, and it's time to thin the bottoms out.

IMG_035046.JPG

:thedoubletake:

Found a couple of these caterpillars. I see damage that could be them, or other things too. If I see more, I'll spray with BT, which is a type of bacteria that will rid these.

I guess these little critters are the most difficult obstacle for outside grows...

I don't get bugs too bad and haven't had major losses. The fungus and pm are my biggest worry. I spray every week with soap, potassium bicarbonate, and neem, that's the house blend. Then also I spray with Serenade separately, with compost tea.

I don't use any broad spectrum insecticide because I don't want to kill the predators or pollinators. Although these caterpillar are probably some lovely butterfly, they just can't be on the mmj. I'm trying more companion planting now too.

I think bugs are a bigger problem indoors for lack of predators, they can get out of hand quicker.

The weather has been good this year and we don't get rain in the summer. The coolness is a challenge but I am learning to deal. Someday I'll find the best strain. They say OG, like in FireOG, stands for Ocean Grown. Here the ocean gives us cool days, cooler nights, fog, overcast mornings. So these plants wil be og, for sure.

The pm, though, can ruin big patches if I don't catch it.

Here's what I use. I have other plants to spray, it's the routine. I use other things that are organic but not on mmj (copper, sulfur,spinosad). I used to use spinosad, it's organic and food safe, and really effective, but I learned it's not certified for mmj because it's inhaled.

I don't get bugs too bad and haven't had major losses. The fungus and pm are my biggest worry. I spray every week with soap, potassium bicarbonate, and neem, that's the house blend. Then also I spray with Serenade separately, with compost tea.

I don't use any broad spectrum insecticide because I don't want to kill the predators or pollinators. Although these caterpillar are probably some lovely butterfly, they just can't be on the mmj. I'm trying more companion planting now too.

I think bugs are a bigger problem indoors for lack of predators, they can get out of hand quicker.

The weather has been good this year and we don't get rain in the summer. The coolness is a challenge but I am learning to deal. Someday I'll find the best strain. They say OG, like in FireOG, stands for Ocean Grown. Here the ocean gives us cool days, cooler nights, fog, overcast mornings. So these plants wil be og, for sure.

The pm, though, can ruin big patches if I don't catch it.

Here's what I use. I have other plants to spray, it's the routine. I use other things that are organic but not on mmj (copper, sulfur,spinosad). I used to use spinosad, it's organic and food safe, and really effective, but I learned it's not certified for mmj because it's inhaled.

The only insect problem I have are those tiny little flies that seem to come from nowhere... I don't find them anywhere else except in my vegging cab especially. Kill 'em as soon as they sit down, find at least one a day.

On the other topic though, companion planting? I'm unfamiliar with alot of terms used on this forum haha

The only insect problem I have are those tiny little flies that seem to come from nowhere... I don't find them anywhere else except in my vegging cab especially. Kill 'em as soon as they sit down, find at least one a day.

On the other topic though, companion planting? I'm unfamiliar with alot of terms used on this forum haha
Companion planting is using other plants that ward of bad bugs or help the cannabis.
Mint keeps a lot of stuff away (but is hella invasive) and nettles help cannabis produce resin.
It symbiotic living, like nurse sharks and those cleaner fish

Hey all. Enough posts about bugs. What about some flowers?

:yummy:

Here a quick tour...

The chem dog got taller than I wanted, it's about as tall as me. Leggy but growing ok as long as it can outgrow the fungus. You can see the variety of stuff growing in here.

Two bubba kush autos, 4 or weeks old

Tangie has a lot of bud nodes.

FireOg and WW auto. The auto has finished 11 weeks and it's still growing trichs. Mostly clear still.

The other tangie.

Tangie flowers starting. These tangies are showing a bit of sativa side.

FireOG flowers coming in. I cleaned a lot of the preflower duff out of these yesterday and I need to do some more. It's so sticky I have to wear gloves. Gonna try some dry ice hash with the trim.

Here's the WW again. It's turning out well.

And finally another bubba. This is stunted because of transplant shock. It's perking up.

Happy gardening :)

Hey all. Enough posts about bugs. What about some flowers?

:yummy:

Here a quick tour...

The chem dog got taller than I wanted, it's about as tall as me. Leggy but growing ok as long as it can outgrow the fungus. You can see the variety of stuff growing in here.

Two bubba kush autos, 4 or weeks old

Tangie has a lot of bud nodes.

FireOg and WW auto. The auto has finished 11 weeks and it's still growing trichs. Mostly clear still.

The other tangie.

Tangie flowers starting. These tangies are showing a bit of sativa side.

FireOG flowers coming in. I cleaned a lot of the preflower duff out of these yesterday and I need to do some more. It's so sticky I have to wear gloves. Gonna try some dry ice hash with the trim.

Here's the WW again. It's turning out well.

And finally another bubba. This is stunted because of transplant shock. It's perking up.

Happy gardening :)
Now that's a garden!!! Good stuff!
Cheers BS!

Hi y'all and I hope everyone is having a good day. There is so much trouble lately in so many places. And for anyone in Texas or LA tonight, I hope you get through the hurricane safely. We don't need no more trouble.

around here, the good news is it's time to take the white widows in. One is 12 weeks, other 9. They smell wonderful and are coated with trichs. The trichs are just now getting close to cloudy, they still shine like ice in the sun. I'd be tempted to leave them out for another week, they're still fattening up a bit and there's nary an amber trichome. However there are increasing pm spots, small as they are, I don't want it getting into the buds.

The first time I planted a strain that threw a lot of white trichs, platinum cookies I think, I was worried I would miss the pm because of the trichs. Pretty quick you can see the dull white mildew colonies compared to the shiny white trichs. So I've gone through and with my little sterilized trimmer snipped off every little leaf with any spot of pm. As the plant matures it puts less energy into its defense, and I can't spray the flowers, so trimming is all that left. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can get another day or two.

These buds look good. I have some bubble bags and I want to process a lot of this into hash and edibles. I'll be experimenting with that this week, I have never tried it. Any advice is welcome. I'm a start with some dry ice hash and trim tomorrow, or maybe I'll take one of those big colas and start there.

Here they are

First the one true form. Look how well it spread itself out, it gets good sun exposure all day from all angles. I've trimmed it today, but only minor trimming was used. The buds are more calyxes than pistils and are heavily encrusted. I will look forward to growing more like this, just letting it take natural shape.

Maybe an ounce and a half, 50g, depending how it trims out.

Here's some pm spots. The one leaf with the yellowish damage is probably insect, not septoria nor pm.

The bigger one just finished 12 weeks. I would love to give it another week but I'm not sure.

Here's what the trouble looks like

You can see how resiny the leaves are. This should be good quality.

Back
Top Bottom