Soil - CFL - Cabinet - Ugwad's 2nd Organic Grow

Ugwad

Hello and welcome to my 2nd organic, stealthy, cabinet grow. Much credit to all those the journals I've learned from.

Seeds - Big Bud (BB), Bubblegum (BG), Bag seed (BS) and maybe Northern Lights (NL).
Soil - Fox Farms Ocean Forrest with ~20% perlite
Containers - Germinating in 1 gallon pots. Transplanting using double potting method.
Cabinet - Sterilite Cabinet 25-3/4" L x 19" W x 69-1/2" H
Lights - 200 Watt CFL (1 x 2700) & 125 Watt CFL (1 x 6500)
Hood - A DIY which hold both large Bulbs.
Nutrients - All natural with blackstap molasses, bat shit, kelp...
Water - Reverse osmosis and pH adjusted.
Air flow - PC fans blowing out with passive intake.
Odor Control - I didn't need any with the first grow. Not sure how stinky the bag seed will be. If needed I have plans for a simple Ona crystal deodorizing box that the exhaust fans will blow through.

The cabinet is small and is fine for 1-2 plants. Right now I have 6 plants growing. One of them is a female clone that comes from a friend I gave a few Northern Lights and Big Bud seeds. I might have given her Bubblegum too. But she mixed them up and we don't know which one it is.

The rest of the plants were germinated from seed and their sex is unknown at this point.

Germination - This time I soaked the seeds in the dark for 12 hours and then used the paper towel method. This method was almost 100% effective as nearly all the seeds sprouted. My last grow I just soaked the seeds and planted them, which was not nearly as successful.

The clone was planted 5/31. I didn't know if it would work as my friend brought it to me in a pot with moldy water and the wrong kind of soil for a clone. It just feel out of the soil with no roots and the bottom 1.5 inches was hard and dead. I cut off the dead part just above a node and had a little over an inch of stem to bury in the soil. I had no cloning gel. I covered with plastic wrap and hoped for the best. It worked beautifully and she's growing great.

All 6 plants are growing in 1 gallon pots with stones at the bottom for drainage. The plan is to grow them as much as possible without getting too crowded in there and bring them to switch to 12/12 to sex them. I assume some will be males and I'll have more space for the remaining females. I might try to go back to 18/6 if they haven't grown enough. I know this isn't advised, but it will be an interesting experiment.

Rather than transplant into 4 gallon pots I'm going to try a double potting method. Either putting the 1 gallon pots on top of another 1 gallon pot or perhaps two 1 gallon pots on top of the 4 gallon pots.

Of the 5 plants that were germinated from seeds. The bag seed and a Big Bud sprouts were planted 6/3 and broke through the soil 6/5. Another Big bud, 2 bubblegum sprouts were planted 6/4 and broke through 6/6 & 6/7.

Here are some pics that I will call day 16, but for the second batch of sprouts it is more like day 14.

Group Shot...
6-21a.jpg

Here's the clone. I hope it's Northern Lights...
6-21c.jpg

Here's the Bag Seed. It's the fastest growing and comes from some very potent high quality herb a friend gave me. It already has a nice aroma forming... but I'm almost at 3 weeks and these pics are from 2 weeks...
6-21b.jpg

Here's a Bubblegum - the 2nd fastest growing...
6-21f.jpg

Here's 1 Big Bud... not so perfect
6-21d.jpg

Here's the other imperfect looking Big Bud...
6-21e.jpg

Here's a weird stunted Bubblegum. I'm probably going to get rid of it, but for now, I'm just watching to see if the runt grows into a monster. But I seriously doubt it...
6-21g.jpg

In 2 days these kids will be about 21 days. Hopefully I will update then. My plan is to upload photos once a week. :ganjamon:

Re: Soil, CFL, Cabinet: Ugwad's 2nd Organic Grow

Hi Ugwad, looking good so far! Any chance you can post a pic of your hood, I love seeing what people come up with when they DIY...

Hi Twoshoes, thanks for stopping by. You can see my set up in my first journal. I guess I should put a link in my signature. I forget how to do that ;-)

Here's are pics of my DIY cabinet and hood.

The fans and wiring explanations can be found there (1st journal).

10-17b.jpg

10-17c.jpg

fixtureb.jpg

fixturea.jpg

im gonna tag along :) :goodluck:
id like to see the DIY too :)

Hey Qiou, thanks for the support! It's nice to know I'm not talking to myself. I was supposed to update Sunday and I'm behind. I better take pics soon or it's going to be an update every 2 weeks. :peace:

Oh, my first grow is in my signature. Silly me :yummy:

badass setup dude ! :bravo:
i was wondering ... you say above your grow is all natural with blackstap molasses, bat shit, kelp...
what is " blackstap molasses, bat shit, kelp..." :/ ?

awesome cabinet Ugwad! looks like a lot of effort went into :) I'll have to check out your first grow properly over the next couple of days...

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I had wanted to make a new grow situation and incorporate HPS light with the CFL's, but this grow just came upon me and what I had in mind isn't possible where with the space that I have.

I'm really slacking on this grow, but the good news is that's it's flying by. I mean to update every week. But it's going to be every two weeks this Sunday.

I'm a little stumped on how to proceed with this one. It's really not fun having to wait for sex to show. I'd like to sex them while they are still in the 1 gallon pots, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

I only just got some liquid seaweed today. I'm not really treating this grow with the same attention. But they're growing nicely. :peace:

badass setup dude ! :bravo:
i was wondering ... you say above your grow is all natural with blackstap molasses, bat shit, kelp...
what is " blackstap molasses, bat shit, kelp..." :/ ?

Thanks Qiou. Ummm... you never heard of blackstrap molasses? It's the sediment at the bottom of the large vats used in processing cane sugar. It's used in baking. It's what makes grandma's oatmeal cookies taste so good. It will do the same for your weed :yummy: It's sweet like sugar, but black and syrupy and filled with minerals. I'm pretty sure I have links in my first grow to tutorials on using it as a kind of fertilizer. They say some of these expensive "Super Bloom" grow nutrients are just a bottle filled with 50 cents of molasses that they sell to suckers for $20.

Then ummm bat shit is the stuff that comes out of a bat's ass. Like other kinds of manure or shit, it's used as a fertilizer. Again, if you refer to my first grow you can see the bat guano kit which contains different kinds of bat and bird shit, each containing different ratios of major grow nutrients which are used in the different phases of veg and flower. It's just incredibly inexpensive compared to those silly chemical fertilizers with the exaggerated pictures and names that remind me of body builders protein and vitamin supplements.

2-18g.jpg

Never heard of kelp? Did you parents let you out of the grow box? :) Well it's a type of sea weed and it makes a great fertilizer. So all of the above are natural fertilizers that are great for growing great weed. :bong:

Thanks Qiou. Ummm... you never heard of blackstrap molasses? It's the sediment at the bottom of the large vats used in processing cane sugar. It's used in baking. It's what makes grandma's oatmeal cookies taste so good. It will do the same for your weed :yummy: It's sweet like sugar, but black and syrupy and filled with minerals. I'm pretty sure I have links in my first grow to tutorials on using it as a kind of fertilizer. They say some of these expensive "Super Bloom" grow nutrients are just a bottle filled with 50 cents of molasses that they sell to suckers for $20.

Then ummm bat shit is the stuff that comes out of a bat's ass. Like other kinds of manure or shit, it's used as a fertilizer. Again, if you refer to my first grow you can see the bat guano kit which contains different kinds of bat and bird shit, each containing different ratios of major grow nutrients which are used in the different phases of veg and flower. It's just incredibly inexpensive compared to those silly chemical fertilizers with the exaggerated pictures and names that remind me of body builders protein and vitamin supplements.

2-18g.jpg

Never heard of kelp? Did you parents let you out of the grow box? :) Well it's a type of sea weed and it makes a great fertilizer. So all of the above are natural fertilizers that are great for growing great weed. :bong:

wow sounds intresting ! , just went through most of your first grow but dident find any of the tutorials . ill finish going through it tomorrow . :thanks:

A friend of mine was reading this journal and she recommended that I sex the plants in the 1 gallon pots, as it would be less work.

I would prefer to do that, but let me explain my dilemma. I would like to get as much growth as possible in veg without it going on too long - I'd prefer 6-8 weeks. But their growth is going to be limited by the small 1 gallon pots. This is a consistent recommendation for more experienced growers. You need to get sufficient growth in veg before going into flower. I think 1 month is the very minimum and 2 months would be more preferred.

My experience in the first grow was that it took 5-7 weeks for sex to show in my CFL cab. And that after the extended period of dark, before going 12/12, 3 out of 4 plants showed sex. I think 1 needed a week into 12/12 for me to see the first signs of sex.

Since it will be 4 weeks tomorrow, it would make sense to wait for sex, then transplant and allow another 2 weeks of veg and then go 12/12.

But in the previous grow, all the plants were in 3-5 gallon pots by week 2 or 3 veg. Perhaps the greater veg growth from the bigger pots lead to sex showing sooner? It would suck if it took longer in the 1 gallon pots. Though, I think 5-7 weeks is pretty common place.

I've repeatedly read that if you bring the plants into flower to show sex and then go back to veg that it adversely affects the plants and really hurts your yield.

I wonder though, if that's only if you go into full flower and then try to go back? I'm thinking if I just get the very first sign of sex, that would not really be a big deal. That often happens in veg, so that wouldn't be a problem. And my last grow one showed in veg, another two right after coming out of 30 hours of dark before the start of 12/12 and I think the last was a week into 12/12.

OK, I've convinced myself. I can't see how, if the plant just showed the very first sign of sex, even if it had been in 12/12 for weeks, that it would hurt the plant to go back to 18/6. The plant is still at the very beginning of flower, it would be more veg like than flower. If it's already showing clear buds sites and clearly into flower, then I can see how going back to veg would fuck it up.

So my new plan is to take them to 6 weeks veg in the 1 gallon pots. Any that show before 6 weeks make it easy, and hopefully the ones that haven't shown by 6 weeks will show right after the dark period. Then I'll transplant to bigger pots, get a good 2 weeks of growth in 18/6 and then switch to flower.

I guess the only problem is that say 3 plants all show by time they come out of the dark at 6 weeks and one is female. But the last one needs a week or more at 12/12 before it shows. A week or more into 12/12 for the female could be too much time in flower to go back to veg. I do have the ability to separate them with temp closet I can throw together.

Ahh well, that's the plan for now. Hopefully a more experience grower can confirm or refute my reasoning. :Rasta:

4 Weeks Veg

Here's my 1 month update. I skipped a week in there, but I don't think anyone is paying attention any way ;-)

Here's a group shot...
11327.jpg

Group shot, different angle. I call this the marijuana jungle...
2937.jpg

Here's a Bubblegum & Big bud together. Bad light sorry...
3829.jpg

Here's the Bag seed which is no longer the fastest growing...
4564.jpg

This is another Big Bud...
5439.jpg

Here's the Bubblegum runt & the clone. I didn't think that runt would make it. Looks like she's catching up! I've never had a clone before and this one is confusing me. It's like the plant was topped once and then the two sites that grew from that were topped and that's what I got. Dunno....
6376.jpg

Arial view of the Bubblegum and Big Bud..
7336.jpg

Top side of the other Big Bud (left) and Bag seed (right)...
8263.jpg

Top side of the clone and the Bubblegum runt...
9200.jpg

Things are looking nice. I've not pH'd the water thus far. I probably should start brewing some guano tea, but I'm out of RO water. I feel like I'm slacking compared to last grow, but everyone looks healthy. No signs of sex, except for the clone, but I already new it was a girl :yummy: Till next time. :peace::ganjamon:

OK, I've convinced myself. I can't see how, if the plant just showed the very first sign of sex, even if it had been in 12/12 for weeks, that it would hurt the plant to go back to 18/6. The plant is still at the very beginning of flower, it would be more veg like than flower. If it's already showing clear buds sites and clearly into flower, then I can see how going back to veg would fuck it up.

So my new plan is to take them to 6 weeks veg in the 1 gallon pots. Any that show before 6 weeks make it easy, and hopefully the ones that haven't shown by 6 weeks will show right after the dark period. Then I'll transplant to bigger pots, get a good 2 weeks of growth in 18/6 and then switch to flower.

Ahh well, that's the plan for now. Hopefully a more experience grower can confirm or refute my reasoning. :Rasta:

Not sure I'm going to make it to 6 weeks in the 1 gallon pots. The plants are losing color and starting to yellow. My fear is that they are root bound in those small pots. :-(

yellow_7-6.jpg

Though, there might be other explanations. The pots were quite dry today, but I let the plants get quite dry a numerous times in my first grow and I never saw this look before. They just got a little wilted and perked up after watering.

It could also be that I haven't started feeding them yet. In my first grow I transplanted into 3 and 5 gallon pots at about 3 weeks. I also started feeding them the guano tea about then.

So, it could be any one these things or a combination of root bound, lack of nutrients and drying out. I need 3 days for the tea to brew - which I haven't started yet - hopefully they won't get too much more yellow by then.

hey Ug, I couldn't PM u back since I don't have enough posts yet, sorry... its kinda hard to tell from that close up but I don't think she looks too bad. could just be any N deficiency, I didn't read that yellowing is associated with being root bound... not that I really know what I'm doing ;)

just stick it out, let ur tea brew and feed them and see how they react, and let that guide u about keeping them in the 1 gals till u hit 6 weeks. the biggest thing I've learned so far is that these are hardy plants, mine have been doing better since I started just leaving them alone!

keep at it man!

Back
Top Bottom