Soil - CFL - Cabinet - Ugwad's 2nd Organic Grow

i am ha naw i was just going around checkin out the daily grows going on anyway help me out and chech my link on my signture to help me start a wAKE N BAKE thread for people to post of pics of what there smoking and cookin up in tghe AM thanks

i dont think there rot bound either. im in 16oz solo cups at week 4 flipped the lights at week 3. still no sign of sex after 7 days. But your plants are beautiful. sub'd

i am ha naw i was just going around checkin out the daily grows going on anyway help me out and chech my link on my signture to help me start a wAKE N BAKE thread for people to post of pics of what there smoking and cookin up in tghe AM thanks

Well thanks for stopping by! I'll check out your wake and bake after my update. Btw, ha naw is an odd name. Are you from Vietnam? :)

i dont think there rot bound either. im in 16oz solo cups at week 4 flipped the lights at week 3. still no sign of sex after 7 days. But your plants are beautiful. sub'd

Thanks stopping by and for your comment. That's interesting, I'll have to check out your grow and see how that works for you. But I don't think you see any sex until 5 to 6 weeks. At this point I've taken everyone out of their 1 gallon pots and the roots were certainly covering the sides and bottom heavily. No signs of the yellowing in the big pots thus far. But perhaps it was some other factor. :Namaste:

Update 5 Weeks

Here is my 5 weeks update from about 2 weeks ago. I've really been slacking on this journal as well as the care of my plants. Though, they seem to be growing just fine regardless.

At this point one of the bubblegum plants has showed her sex. And there's the clone, so I've got 2 females for sure and I'm hoping more will be revealed.

Here's a couple of group shots for 5 weeks of veg from seed.
7-10a.jpg

7-10b.jpg

:bongrip:

Update 6 weeks

We were at 6 weeks and none of the other plants were clearly showing sex. So, I kept them in the dark for about 48 hours, hoping that would force sex, but still didn't see any other female beside the two I knew about.

I knew I couldn't keep them all and I got rid of them all except for the Bag seed plant and one of the Big Bud plants. The others I suspected to be males.

However, in the end it turned out those two were males as well.

Here are shots of the Bubblegum and clone females transplanted into their almost 5 gallon pots. In the middle is the bag seed - which was my favorite plant - still in the 1 gallon pot and I'm still hoping it's a female.

7-18a.jpg

Here are a couple of shots showing their female attributes...

7-18b.jpg

7-18c.jpg

:peace:

Update 7 Weeks

At this point I discovered the beautiful Bag Seed plant was a male and summarily executed him for sex crimes.

The Bubblegum and Clone (which is either Big Bud, Northern Lights or Bubblegum) I'm allowing to get some veg growth happening. I will go 12/12 next Monday which will be 8 weeks of veg.

I FIM'd the bubblegum and super-cropped it as well. The clone is kind of odd, so I didn't think I could or should FIM it and I simply couldn't super-crop it becasue there was no give in the stem. Today however, I did super-cropped both plants.

This grow I've not pH'd at all. And I've only given the plants some guano juice once. Some times I've given them filtered tap water and have been using seaweed for the last few weeks. I'm definitely not giving them the attention my first grow got. Still they look pretty healthy.

Here's are some un-spectacular shots from week 7. The Bubblegum is on the left and the smaller clone on the right.

7-24a.jpg

Here's a little more of a side shot

7-24b.jpg

:peace:

are you using any side lighting. i flipped my plants after 3 weeks because of the length the light penetrates.. now im thinking i could of let them go some more.

wow there looking real good........

are you using any side lighting. i flipped my plants after 3 weeks because of the length the light penetrates.. now im thinking i could of let them go some more.

Hey man, thanks for checking out my grow. Ya know that's a really good point. My plants are getting kind of tall and the CFL's just don't penetrate very well. So it's like the extra veg growth might be a waste. I've been thinking about running a couple of small lights in the middle of the plants. Not sure if that's strong enough to burn leaves that are touching it. Not sure it will be strong enough to make a substantial difference in middle bud growth.

It probably makes most sense to do a scrog method in my cabinet. I'll have to do some reading up on that and try it my next grow. Though, my cabinet is so small that the reflection from the walls is fairly significant.

hey ugwad looking good man, sucks that u had so many boy plants in there, at least they never got a chance to get your beautiful ladies preggers!

glad your yellowing went away, good call on the transplant

Yeah, can you believe about of 5 seeds only 1 was female? Lucky my friend brought me that clipping.

I'm not sure I remember how that worked out with the first grow. I think I was 50:50. Gave some seeds to my friend and she brought me back a female clipping. I never asked how many seeds she popped and what the sex was.

Hey man, good grow show.

I would like you introduce you to something I just started using called a meshpot, not the hydro aggregate holder, but an actual container for soil(less) growing. It's just fibreglass screen sewn into the shape of a pot. Easy to make. Amazing results.

Same science behind the Airpot, or Smartpot: Air to the roots means faster growth.

I thought the pro mix would run out the side and bottom, but it holds its shape and stays clean. I've never seen any plant grow so fast. Plus the roots don't circle the pot, they stay inside the soil, where they use all the nutrients available.

I recommend switching from regular plastic containers to something that breathes more like Airpot, Smartpot or Meshpot. Even the plastic mesh pots they sell for hydroponics would work better than regular containers.

Try one of these 'next-gen' pots and see what happens man, can't hurt.

Hey man, good grow show.

I would like you introduce you to something I just started using called a meshpot, not the hydro aggregate holder, but an actual container for soil(less) growing. It's just fibreglass screen sewn into the shape of a pot. Easy to make. Amazing results.

Same science behind the Airpot, or Smartpot: Air to the roots means faster growth.

I thought the pro mix would run out the side and bottom, but it holds its shape and stays clean. I've never seen any plant grow so fast. Plus the roots don't circle the pot, they stay inside the soil, where they use all the nutrients available.

I recommend switching from regular plastic containers to something that breathes more like Airpot, Smartpot or Meshpot. Even the plastic mesh pots they sell for hydroponics would work better than regular containers.

Try one of these 'next-gen' pots and see what happens man, can't hurt.

Hey Lou, glad to see you around. You have the best nick ever. The mesh pots sound interesting. Right now I'm struggling to do some kind of update here and not abandon this journal. I'll let you know when I get a chance to read about your super pot for growing super pot. :bong:

Update Flower 2 Weeks

I'm really slacking on this grow. This is actually a good thing in a lot of ways mostly because I'm learning from it.

These pictures are from 2 weeks into flower, however tomorrow will be 5 weeks into flower. So, I'm behind and I'm missed 3 weeks of pictures. That's what I mean by slacking.

There are a few interesting things I'm hoping to learn by comparing this grow to my first.

This grow:

1. Transplanted late (2 weeks vs 8 weeks).

2. This grow has a clone.

3. I've not pH'd the water and it's often filtered tap water. This is interesting because I think the plants over all looked as healthy or better than the first grow where 90% of the feedings were pH'd and RO water. The water is very hard where I live, which would mean I've done a very bad thing. But I've always wondered if pH and mineral build up really make a difference in soil grows. I would think soil dramatically neutralizes any pH water. Acid rain not withstanding, either I'm coincidentally at a good pH or it doesn't make much difference in soil. I know from my first grow the water here can change dramatically in pH and typically with the guano the feeding was very high in pH. But I've not used too much guano, so perhaps that has spared the plants an alkaline attack.

4. I've used very little guano this grow. I do use a cap full of liquid seaweed and a half teaspoon of molasses/gallon with each watering.

5. The clone was perfectly symmetrical, in that it looked exactly like the top of the letter "Y". What I did was FIM'd one side of the plant. Currently (advanced 5 week update), one side has the typical largest kola at the top. The other side - which was FIM'd - contains a sort of bush of kolas - perhaps 4 of them - each of which is much smaller than the single large kola on the "untreated" side. When I harvest I will try to fairly compare the two sides on the scale. A large difference in weight or very similar weights will reveal - hopefully - if FIM'ing truly improves production.

8.This grow has almost no odor. If 10 is stinking and 0 is no odor at all, these plants are a 0 outside the cabinet. Sticking your face right into these bushes they only register a 1 out of 10. I find this bizarre and hope it doesn't mean I'm going to have bad weed.

8. I've barely paid attention to this grow in comparison to the first. As such I have let the plants get very dry a few times.

9. I added two 26 Watt CFL's to shine under the canopy. They burnt the hell out of a lot of the leaves on both plants. You can see them in the pictures below, but I haven't been using them lately. Mostly because the temps in the cab hit 104 maybe even higher.

Enough blabbing... Group shot

8-14a.JPG

I believe these are buds from the clone...

8-14b.JPG

I think this might be the large kola on the Bubblegum. But I'm not sure ;-)

8-14c.JPG

I think this is a little bud lower down on the bubblegum...

8-14d.JPG

Close up on the 2 week baby buds...

8-14e.JPG

More of the above...

8-14f.JPG

Hopefully I'll get to the week 3 flower update shortly. :roorrip:

Update Flower 3 weeks + 2 days

Here are just a few pictures. If I'm really on top of it, I'll get week 5 of flower pictures tomorrow. The clone is ripening much faster than I expected. I think it could be harvested week 7. But I'm guessing. Tomorrow's pics will show what I'm talking about much better than these.

The two ladies stuffed in their cabinet...

8-23a.JPG

These buds are found on the side of the clone that I FIM'd. . .

8-23b.JPG

This is the side of the clone that was not "FIM'd". We see the single large kola. Will there be a difference in the weight of these previously symmetrical sides?

8-23c.JPG

Here's the big kola from the Bubblegum... Hmm... I thought I FIM'd that plant too? Well, if I did, it completely failed. Not the greatest pic in the world...

8-23d.JPG

;)

Hey Ugwad good to see you posting again man! The girls are looking good, you're doing great!

As for not pHing your water... DocBud says that if your total alkalinity (TA) is between 0-80, then your pH essentially doesn't matter too. Plus, I think your right about the soil buffering the pH to acceptable levels, so maybe it's a combination of the two. I haven't been pHing my water for a while now, I just filter it to remove chlorine and lower the TA to a good value and the plants seem happy enough :smokin:

Hey Ugwad good to see you posting again man! The girls are looking good, you're doing great!

As for not pHing your water... DocBud says that if your total alkalinity (TA) is between 0-80, then your pH essentially doesn't matter too. Plus, I think your right about the soil buffering the pH to acceptable levels, so maybe it's a combination of the two. I haven't been pHing my water for a while now, I just filter it to remove chlorine and lower the TA to a good value and the plants seem happy enough :smokin:

Hey Twoshoes, glad to see you're still around. Yeah, it seems to me that there's a huge amount of mineral and other matter which easily buffer any water pH running through. Though, they say acid rain damages forests, so I guess pH can matter.

I wish they had an experimental section for the journals. It would be great to see a comparison of different pH water on a soil grow. This would be to answer the question, how much does water/feeding pH affect a soil grow?

Thanks for stopping by, I'll have to check out your journal once I finish my update.

;)

Update Week 5 Flower

Well, it seems the journal slacking is over now. I still feel like a slacker with the grow, because I just don't pay that much attention to the ladies. I think I'm being punished because they have no scent. I just find it so odd.

Still haven't made any guano tea for them in a while. I really should at least use the special bat crap for flowering.

Here are the girls stuffed in their cab, you can get a sense of larger kolas silhouettes, which is so difficult to capture in photos for some reason.

8-4e.jpg

This is the clone and its single large kola on the side I didn't FIM. When looking at the ruler dead on, the kola measures about 6 inches...

8-4b.jpg

The single large kola on the Bubblegum. It really doesn't capture the size of it, which is larger than the clone's largest kola. It measure about 7.5 inches and is a bit fatter...

8-4c.jpg

Lastly, here's a cool looking shot I took during watering, again of the clone's largest kola...

8-4f1.jpg

:bong:

Awesome looking plants.:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom