Soil, Cabinet, CFL, Supercrop, FIM 1st Grow

I'm going to chop the Afghan too because it's just weird and I can't make heads or tails of it. My biggest regret in chopping it now is that it has very few trichs. Maybe it will never form a lot? Both plants are going brown and the pistils are mostly red/brown, so I'll just go with that.

Part of it is that I'm not sure if I've let them go too long. I'm just a little unclear about the whole thing.

Also I'm not completely convinced that it's all about the amber trichs. I posted a link previously that questioned the amber trich dogma. It suggested that most people harvest way too early. That you can't go too long and that receding and brown/red pistils were a very important indicator of ripeness. I'll send you the link privately since it's to another site.

sent you a pm back, thank you....about the seed pod swelling, yes, on some strains it does alot, i have others where it is not so much...the hairs or pistils are one indicator, and alot of peeps go by that....but after reading about every book i can find on it, (i read alot), i still say it is personal preference and what kind of med you prefer...i dont think there is really a right or wrong, unless it is drastic one way or the other, its just personal taste and the type of med you want...and the truth is, we really dont understand alot of what this plant is all about due to lack of legally allowed studies....which is a shame...so we go peer to peer, and that is good...best wishes...lavendar

sent you a pm back, thank you....about the seed pod swelling, yes, on some strains it does alot, i have others where it is not so much...the hairs or pistils are one indicator, and alot of peeps go by that....but after reading about every book i can find on it, (i read alot), i still say it is personal preference and what kind of med you prefer...i dont think there is really a right or wrong, unless it is drastic one way or the other, its just personal taste and the type of med you want...and the truth is, we really dont understand alot of what this plant is all about due to lack of legally allowed studies....which is a shame...so we go peer to peer, and that is good...best wishes...lavendar

Hey Lavendar, thanks for your comments. Just an update. I did harvest my Northern Lights plant - that was fun! After that I removed an inner bud leaf from the Afghan and tried to look at it under the scope. The trichs were not as fully formed as the NL plant and what I saw was cloudy and clear.

So, I turned the lights back on and I'm going to let her go for a while more. I'm not sure how long it's been since I watered her, but it's too late now to start pH'ing water. Those NL buds seemed kind of wet when I was trimming them, so it's not like the plants are bone dry - but the soil might be :grinjoint:

It was fun picking off the small buds found at each node. Some were tiny and some were quite fat - especially if they were real close to a kola. But if there was as much as a 1/4 space between the kola and the node buds, I plucked them off and put them in a pile. A wet sticky pile :grinjoint: Making that pile was my favorite part and I can't wait to smoke that stuff. :)

Update: Chopped 1 day shy of Week 11 of 12/12

I chopped the Northern Lights plant last night. I didn't weigh the buds because I thought the long stems would make it inaccurate.

But today, I figured I'd weigh the main kolas. I doubt drying for 12 hours made much of a difference. One kola was ~19 grams and the other was ~23 grams. My pic has them both on the scale together.

The smell is awesome. Didn't need any odor control on this grow which is nice. These guys are definitely not skunky, but more like pine, fruit and yum.

Here's the entire harvest

6-10b.jpg

The main kolas. From observing similar grow set ups, it looks like I could double the size of those babies by adding an MH/HPS light to my CFL's.

6-10a.jpg

6-10c.jpg

The big girls on the scale

6-10d.jpg

My guesstimate is that I have a total of about 3 oz wet. That should give me about 23 grams dry for the one plant. That's pretty good as I was hoping for at least an ounce dry for both plants together. ;)

Smoke Report!

Wow, I never imagined I'd be giving a smoke report so soon! I took a couple of small fluffy buds that I had so much fun picking. They were only 1/4 inch or less in size. I don't have a microwave, so I just put them in a dry "cooking pot" with the lid on and the electric stove on low - which was too hot - and then warm. They were in there dehydrating for about 5 mins or so. They didn't shrink too much and certainly the outside of them were brittle dry. They smoked just fine in the bong.

As is typically reported I can say too much good about the taste quality - but a hell of a lot better than KaKK I've been smoking - my males from late veg.

So I guess I had 3 maybe 4 tokes and Wowza! Dat shit is Poh-Tanttt. I haven't had any good smoke in a month or so. But the last was very good. I'm also sort of a born again novice. This is because I quit when I was 19 years many moons ago. Then dabbled one time only every 1 to 3 years much later in life.

Anyway, it's very powerful and hypnotic, but I feel like I could be either very couch locked or very energetic. This means it's completely my choice. I can do either easily and it's for me to decide. Now, I felt exactly the same way with the last good shit, which was probably until now, the best shit I've ever had in my life. So, I'm not sure if my previous dope was coincidentally Northern lights or perhaps something similar in quality. Or that this is just the way I perceive weed now. Oh yeah, since trying excellent pot in the last year, it's been a completely different experience for me.

Weed used to make me paranoid, sometimes depressed and I'd get this weird neurological shake which I noticed many of my friends would also get when I was smoking as a kid. I got a hold of a little dirt weed a few years ago and I got this insane and intense body shake. My girlfriend had to lie on top of me to help calm it down.

At first I thought, oh shit, marijuana much be highly neuro-toxic for me. I think I believed this for a while. Then I tried the good shit a year or two later. Yeah no shakes any more. God only knows what kind poisonous shit was added to the weed I've smoked in my life. It's pretty awesome growing it by hand organically.

The only thing is that the last shit definitely made me crazy horny :grinjoint: Sorry if that's more than you wanted to hear. But it's true and I withhold any comment regarding my home grown. But I have to go for now. Something pressing has come up.:bigtoke: Hahaha, I never thought I would use that "smile". It's kind of perverted looking which is why it fits so perfectly there :grinjoint:

Hey Lavendar, thanks for your comments. Just an update. I did harvest my Northern Lights plant - that was fun! After that I removed an inner bud leaf from the Afghan and tried to look at it under the scope. The trichs were not as fully formed as the NL plant and what I saw was cloudy and clear.

So, I turned the lights back on and I'm going to let her go for a while more. I'm not sure how long it's been since I watered her, but it's too late now to start pH'ing water. Those NL buds seemed kind of wet when I was trimming them, so it's not like the plants are bone dry - but the soil might be :grinjoint:

It was fun picking off the small buds found at each node. Some were tiny and some were quite fat - especially if they were real close to a kola. But if there was as much as a 1/4 space between the kola and the node buds, I plucked them off and put them in a pile. A wet sticky pile :grinjoint: Making that pile was my favorite part and I can't wait to smoke that stuff. :)

i love those little piles, actually, if it isnt as big as the end of my thumb, it goes into the shake pile...then i use those for tinctures, hash, oil, and dragon, which i need to make....and my kid always asks if i have a scrap bag (shake) he takes a big bag of it and filters out all the small buds and goes for it....what the heck, its free for him and its good....he likes it....due to domestic and family diff. he took his grow down....so is out for a while, so this helps him out alot...harvesting is work, but it also fun...:peace:

Update: Chopped 1 day shy of Week 11 of 12/12

I chopped the Northern Lights plant last night. I didn't weigh the buds because I thought the long stems would make it inaccurate.

But today, I figured I'd weigh the main kolas. I doubt drying for 12 hours made much of a difference. One kola was ~19 grams and the other was ~23 grams. My pic has them both on the scale together.

The smell is awesome. Didn't need any odor control on this grow which is nice. These guys are definitely not skunky, but more like pine, fruit and yum.

Here's the entire harvest

6-10b.jpg

The main kolas. From observing similar grow set ups, it looks like I could double the size of those babies by adding an MH/HPS light to my CFL's.

6-10a.jpg

6-10c.jpg

The big girls on the scale

6-10d.jpg

My guesstimate is that I have a total of about 3 oz wet. That should give me about 23 grams dry for the one plant. That's pretty good as I was hoping for at least an ounce dry for both plants together. ;)

so happy for you...makes all the work and worry worth while....congrats on the great lookers and even better smoke.....lavendar:welldone::welldone:

Geez, the high really lasted a long time. I think I smoked that small amount around 1:30 pm. It's almost 11 pm and I'm feeling mostly straight again - but there's still something slight in effect. I told a friend around 7:00 pm, about 65% of the effects had worn off. What an amazingly powerful plant. I'm not even smoking the cured best part yet.

Geez, the high really lasted a long time. I think I smoked that small amount around 1:30 pm. It's almost 11 pm and I'm feeling mostly straight again - but there's still something slight in effect. I told a friend around 7:00 pm, about 65% of the effects had worn off. What an amazingly powerful plant. I'm not even smoking the cured best part yet.

wow, that really makes it worth it all...yeahhhh...enjoy, lavendar:bravo::bravo::bravo:

I'm so happy for you UG! Big time reps to you my friend for working your way through all the different issues that we growers encouter. Your buds look delicious and from what I read from your initial smoke report, they are potant also! Wait until you get some cured! Have fun my friend and ..........grow some more!:thumb:

I'm so happy for you UG! Big time reps to you my friend for working your way through all the different issues that we growers encouter. Your buds look delicious and from what I read from your initial smoke report, they are potant also! Wait until you get some cured! Have fun my friend and ..........grow some more!:thumb:

Thanks Bro. Thanks for sticking with me throughout my grow. This stage is my favorite as I can write about the effects of my homegrown.

I've been tasting - what I guess is referred to as popcorn buds - everyday since Thursday. The first two days I dried them in a pot on the stove. Today, they are dry enough to smoke on their own and I've enjoyed a few. I also stuffed them into a little bottle to cure, but they might be too dry.

Hey Woodsman, I'm not sure the difference between a Northern Lights #5 and a plain Northern Lights plant, but this shit is powerful. Is yours like that too? It could be that I'm just a novice. I'm kind of scared to imagine it getting stronger in the cure. I heard about a new study which found marijuana had little effect on subjects ability to drive! They definitely weren't smoking my shit. I can't imagine driving safely after partaking of my sheeet.

Last night I smoked shortly before bed. You have to be in the dark & stoned to appreciate the hallucinogenic qualities of marijuana. I only have distant memories to compare it to, but this NL seems high the hallucinogenic scale. It's not like quite like tripping, but there's a very active colorful show going on while your in the dark. :bongrip:

Hell yea keep the goodness coming. I was dying when you said ur girl had to sit on top of you when u smoked some kaka. Made a quaker thought go through my head. Good inspiration for other growers in this journal exceptional first grow. Love the smoke report esp since the smoke is unique and YOU are in control. :)

Here is a very common thread, don't know where it came from originally, but it has been 'reprinted' all over the place: NL Strains

This is another perhaps more detailed description

After reading this stuff you will see that thee is no 'one' strain of NL as the NL of today comes from (according to the second article and others I've read) 11 original seeds. You are in possession of one of the granddaddy strains of the modern cannabis world. My seeds were listed as NL. Not until I inquired from my seed company 'what NL strain are these seeds, you sent me?' did I know I had the #5 version. If you bought yours from a reputable seed Co., they should be able to tell you what you've grown. All three of my females (last grow) were different from each other in taste, smell and looks. All looked very indica, but the last one was harvested at (I think?) 12 weeks. Either my fault (who knows) or just some of it's minimal sativa genetics taking over. There are many crosses using NL and it's famous for this as are the Skunk and Haze varieties. Many NL crosses are highly sativa.

Here is a very common thread, don't know where it came from originally, but it has been 'reprinted' all over the place: NL Strains

This is another perhaps more detailed description

After reading this stuff you will see that thee is no 'one' strain of NL as the NL of today comes from (according to the second article and others I've read) 11 original seeds. You are in possession of one of the granddaddy strains of the modern cannabis world. My seeds were listed as NL. Not until I inquired from my seed company 'what NL strain are these seeds, you sent me?' did I know I had the #5 version. If you bought yours from a reputable seed Co., they should be able to tell you what you've grown. All three of my females (last grow) were different from each other in taste, smell and looks. All looked very indica, but the last one was harvested at (I think?) 12 weeks. Either my fault (who knows) or just some of it's minimal sativa genetics taking over. There are many crosses using NL and it's famous for this as are the Skunk and Haze varieties. Many NL crosses are highly sativa.

Wow, I had no idea. I think the seed company was reputable, but getting an answer to the question would prove it. I think my strain of NL should be called "sledge hammer." Can potency increase significantly in just 2-3 days of a cure? It seems like it has, but I'm really stoned, so my judgment may be off :grinjoint:

Wow, I had no idea. I think the seed company was reputable, but getting an answer to the question would prove it. I think my strain of NL should be called "sledge hammer." Can potency increase significantly in just 2-3 days of a cure? It seems like it has, but I'm really stoned, so my judgment may be off :grinjoint:

Did you smoke from the same bud that you tried earlier? That could be it. You may have smoked a bud from a different part of the plant.

I emailed my seed Co. and they returned the email the next day.

Woodsman, those are some interesting reads. I want some NL #5 :smokin:

Ugwad, curing doesn't necessarily make the weed much more potent. It usually helps with taste/harshness from what I have read. Glad you have some potent smoke!

+reps
:cool:

If your going to order, email the seed Co. first and ask them which # of NL they sell. Unless of course they tell you up front on their web site.

Did you smoke from the same bud that you tried earlier? That could be it. You may have smoked a bud from a different part of the plant.

Yes, it was probably from a different part of the plant. The only thing I've smoked thus far are the little buds that are found at each node. Down low on a branch they are tiny and as you move up they get bigger.

I have a little jar stuffed with them, I believe I smoked one of the larger buds yesterday.

I emailed the seed company just now. I'll let you know if they write me back. They have pretty short descriptions of their seeds. No details on Northern Lights other than the years it won the indica cup.

Woodsman, those are some interesting reads. I want some NL #5 :smokin:

Ugwad, curing doesn't necessarily make the weed much more potent. It usually helps with taste/harshness from what I have read. Glad you have some potent smoke!

+reps
:cool:

actually it does, it allows the rest of the t's that are clear to finish maturing, one reason that curing is done slow....Im not saying it takes bad weed and makes it good, but it does let them finish out...will look up the references if you want...lavendar:smokin:

Yes, it was probably from a different part of the plant. The only thing I've smoked thus far are the little buds that are found at each node. Down low on a branch they are tiny and as you move up they get bigger.

I have a little jar stuffed with them, I believe I smoked one of the larger buds yesterday.

I emailed the seed company just now. I'll let you know if they write me back. They have pretty short descriptions of their seeds. No details on Northern Lights other than the years it won the indica cup.

Just like the seed co. site that I ordered from. Although I've seen NL sold as NL on many of the websites. Don't know why they don't specify 'upfront'? Hope you get an answer soon, I'm curious!

Just like the seed co. site that I ordered from. Although I've seen NL sold as NL on many of the websites. Don't know why they don't specify 'upfront'? Hope you get an answer soon, I'm curious!

We have to give a star to this seed company, they answered my question promptly. They say it's Northern Lights #11.

I'm curious if we ordered from the same seed company? That would be interesting if we both ordered seeds around the same time and they claimed we had different strains.

I'm not sure if we can mention seed companies and I'm too lazy to see if they advertise here. I'll tell you the name they use for correspondence is different from the web site. I guess they do that so the their billing name is incognito. The use the name "Plantet Wax" for billing and e-mail. However, a search of planet wax and marijuana on google will not take you to any website. Their name pops up in grow forums like this.

So, does Northern Lights #11 mean anything to you? I can't find much on it. But I did read your #5 is considered the best.

I just harvested the Afghan, I have to say that was not pleasant in comparision to the NL plant. Also the little "pop corn" buds on the NL are so soft, sticky, fragrent and awesome. But the same buds on the Afghan are really leafy without 50% having little to know odor. I quick dried some of the not very odoriferous buds and they were pretty weak in comparison to the NL popcorn.

Something tells me the concentration of THC increased with each strain of NL :cool: That's why we call it da "Sledge Hammer"!! :)

Back
Top Bottom