Soil, Cabinet, CFL, Supercrop, FIM 1st Grow

no ug,
was basically the same as you...was asking if you had a pic of another one you werent sure of....not these....
i fimmed a few, actually 8 plants not too long ago, and they are just now in the veg room ready to go to bud as soon as space allows....
i do veg mine, seeds, clones ect. alot longer than most people...they have to hover to await room most of the time...and after i top, or fim, i give them a full month to recover....but that is me...not everyone has the time or the space to devote to such foolishness....i'm just old school about why send an 11 yr. old girl to do a womans job?..it used to be u grew them until they showed the first signs of flowering, such as showing their pistils...and sometimes that took six months...yeah, a long time...but i have never gotten past that, and i prefer the smoke and high off of older mature plants, which is why i try to clone, and keep clones going....to me, the older, the better they taste and smoke....but that is me....and personal preferences....lavendar...ps, those plants look great...:rollit::welldone:

Mini Update Photos

Here's the DIY fixture - long view. You can't get a sense of the leaf tucking bud sites I was talking about. The flash obliterates things and I forgot that I supercropped the Afghan a little while ago.

fixtureb.jpg

Here's the underside of the fixture. Now that I'm looking at it, I think for the 200W bulb the reflective curtain is just reflecting right back on the bulb, so it's blocking itself. For the 125W bulb there's enough space that the curtain might be working to some extent. Not sure if I should remove it. I think if I trim it back so that it covers the small bulb, but allows the a couple of inches of the large bulb to shine past the curtain that would increase the efficiency some.

fixturea.jpg

Update Week 6

I took these pics yesterday, the plants had just come out of 31 hours of darkness to kick off the start of 12/12.

The good news is that the Afghan is a girl! I'm lucky because I ended up with 2 girls after being bummed by the 2 boys. Also I feel very lucky that my plants both showed sex before the start of 12/12. I didn't think that would happen with CFL's.

Less positive news is that I'm concerned about the Northern Lights plant. It kind of looks like it's shriveling up. More like the leaves are folding closed (along the length of the leaf). Not sure if you can see it well in the pics, because the extended darkness made things look a bit better.

Since I added the 125 W to the 200 W I've been getting very high temps. The Afghan looks great, but the NL is really concerning me and I'm not sure what to do beside lower the temps and I'm still working on that. I'm just concerned it might be something else. Though, I guess I should deal with the most obvious thing first. I also have very low humidity which just exacerbates the heat issue.

Both Plants in the cab...

3-25a.jpg

Afghan top view...

3-25e.jpg

Afghan side view...

3-25f.jpg

The Afghan's sex appeal. Here's a real close up of what looks like very tiny female pre-flowers. I'm very confident it's a female.

female18.jpg

Northern Lights top side... Notice the kind of thin looking, folding sort of dried out looking leaves on top.

3-25b.jpg

Northern Lights side shot...

3-25c.jpg

OK so only 2-3 months of flowering and say a month of curing to go. Ugh! :peace:

Hey Woodsman, thanks for visiting - I think you're the only one :bravo:

Actually the plant looked better after the dark period. The problem began shortly after combining the two lights together in the small cab. I'm getting temps in the high 90's. I haven't had the chance to fix some things in the cab. I'm dreading taking apart stuff that was never intended to be undone. I'm also not sure, my fix, will fix the problem and I don't want to find out - that it didn't - after a lot of work.

The plan is tomorrow - remove the duct tape! Mess with the super fragile lights. :yahoo:

ug,
looked thru all the books i have and i have no idea....are there like rust spots along the edges of the leaves that look like burns on the outsside? i know the leaves fold down to get away from the sun...but that doesnt look like it...i was here earlier, but didnt know anything, and still dont...hope someone else does...i would like to know...
on the other hand, mine, the sour diesel to be exact, has decided to be a butt, so i know how you feel....all in all your plants are gorgeous....and, if you had a high humidity, you would have mold and mildew problems as close as those leaves are....i keep my rooms a little dry also around 45% rh...and i still have to be careful....when i was spraying so much for the dreaded borg bugs, (spider mites) i had to up the humidity, then when i finally knock wood get rid of the bugs, i get mildew...ugh...just now getting it under control in the babies room...the big ones werent affected...and i have 2 fans going in a 5x5 area....keep us posted....lavendar:rollit:

ug,
looked thru all the books i have and i have no idea....are there like rust spots along the edges of the leaves that look like burns on the outsside? i know the leaves fold down to get away from the sun...but that doesnt look like it...i was here earlier, but didnt know anything, and still dont...hope someone else does...i would like to know...
on the other hand, mine, the sour diesel to be exact, has decided to be a butt, so i know how you feel....all in all your plants are gorgeous....and, if you had a high humidity, you would have mold and mildew problems as close as those leaves are....i keep my rooms a little dry also around 45% rh...and i still have to be careful....when i was spraying so much for the dreaded borg bugs, (spider mites) i had to up the humidity, then when i finally knock wood get rid of the bugs, i get mildew...ugh...just now getting it under control in the babies room...the big ones werent affected...and i have 2 fans going in a 5x5 area....keep us posted....lavendar:rollit:

Hey Levendar, thanks for your thoughtful comments. There are no mites, but I do get 3 or 4 gnats showing up regularly - I hate them. Today things are looking better and I think that's because I watered them yesterday. Soooo beside the increased heat it seems I'm also letting them dry out pretty good.

With the 16% humidity it's all the worse on the plants. So hopefully it's just that the NL plant is not as desert tolerant as the Afghan plant. I still haven't fixed the fan situation, but the temp outside is lower so I'm not getting higher than the mid 80's in the cab. Hopefully I'll fix the fans manana and it will actually do something.:peace:

Very good grow. I just tried FIMing a plant for the time.

Good luck with everything!

+ Rep!

she looks like she was "praying" for water, heat stress hopefully fixin the fan situation will help with it that I had some of my little ones doin that before I put better exaust on the cab

That's very clever and I think you're right. Still haven't fixed the fans in there! This weed is getting toasted and I'm not getting any pleasure from it. I have to keep the cab slightly open as the outside temps are getting higher in my neck of the woods. Temps are running in the 90's in the cab.

If my fan fix doesn't workout I'm going to have to abandon the cab when it starts getting hotter outside and do up the temp closet. Farming is hard work! :peace:

That's very clever and I think you're right. Still haven't fixed the fans in there! This weed is getting toasted and I'm not getting any pleasure from it. I have to keep the cab slightly open as the outside temps are getting higher in my neck of the woods. Temps are running in the 90's in the cab.

If my fan fix doesn't workout I'm going to have to abandon the cab when it starts getting hotter outside and do up the temp closet. Farming is hard work! :peace:

Ug, I don't have the leaves folding up like you, but The rest of your problems are quite familiar to me! Heat, yesterday I found the tent at canopy level a whopping 104 degs! I took them out immediately and put them outside on our deck. I normally get temps that are about mid 80's to mid 90's in mid afternoon through the end of daylight period. That was with cooler house temps. Yesterday ( and maybe from now on) the outdoor temp went into the mid 70's. That's beautiful, but in our house the upstairs has no way for the heat to escape (A Frame). We have an air conditioner in the window nearby, but I would only use it in emergencies (tight budget).. I cut larger holes in the top of the tent after I took them out of there yesterday. But later when I checked it was still at 99 Degs! I run one fan at canopy level and a tiny 4 inch at the top pulling air out. Not enough apparently! Maybe with another 4 inch on top it would get better, but again 'the budget'. I may have to carry them outside each day. Not wonderful when they have just been watered and are heavy! Do you have that option (outside)?

Ug, we had this situation in the flowering cab as well, aside from a brand new AC that just minutes ago got put into the window, we had two small fans that were pointed up at the light. Brought the temps down a few degrees enough to be comfy. The other thing that I did in my mom/clone cab was ad another fan exhausting the air out through the vent. Don't know if it helps at all, but maybe bowls of water might help keep the humidity a bit higher so they don't get toasted by the dry heat. Carrying plants outside sounds a little bit labor intensive- I'm too lazy for those sorts of things LOL

Hi Guys. I've been a very bad weed farmer and journal maker.

I've been sick with a bad cold and missed last week's photo update. I still haven't been able to fix the fan situation in my cab and the temps are out of control.

Both plants are stretching like crazy. The Northern Lights plant is really taking a beating from the heat as it's causing a lot of leaf damage. The Afghan seem unaffected by the heat - something small cab growers should take note of. I've never read anything about Pure Afghan being heat tolerant, but I've seen it as high as 106 in my cab!!! Maybe she likes it?

Today the Northern Lights plant really took a big hit. The plant was severely wilted. Like I think I might have killed it, if it would have gone much longer without water. I think it should recover without problem, but right now she's still draining in the sink and hasn't changed much. I'm not sure if I should put her back in the light. I've heard people suggest that messing with their light/dark period is very stressful. But I can't imagine it's more stressful than this heat and intuitively I think I should let it stay in the dark until it perks up again. And as I said, the Afghan seems virtually unaffected.

Hopefully pics this Thursday! :peace:

Hi Guys. I've been a very bad weed farmer and journal maker.

I've been sick with a bad cold and missed last week's photo update. I still haven't been able to fix the fan situation in my cab and the temps are out of control.

Both plants are stretching like crazy. The Northern Lights plant is really taking a beating from the heat as it's causing a lot of leaf damage. The Afghan seem unaffected by the heat - something small cab growers should take note of. I've never read anything about Pure Afghan being heat tolerant, but I've seen it as high as 106 in my cab!!! Maybe she likes it?

Today the Northern Lights plant really took a big hit. The plant was severely wilted. Like I think I might have killed it, if it would have gone much longer without water. I think it should recover without problem, but right now she's still draining in the sink and hasn't changed much. I'm not sure if I should put her back in the light. I've heard people suggest that messing with their light/dark period is very stressful. But I can't imagine it's more stressful than this heat and intuitively I think I should let it stay in the dark until it perks up again. And as I said, the Afghan seems virtually unaffected.

Hopefully pics this Thursday! :peace:

Hey Ug, Yesterday my plants were in full tilt wilt! I fed them and within six hours they were just about at attention. Today they never looked better. Can you leave the door open or can you reverse the light and dark periods. Putting your lights on at night instead of the day. They should come back for you if it was just the water. You do need to get a handle on the heat. Get a better exhaust system to expel the heat.

Update Week 2 of 12/12

Sorry for missing Week 1 of 12/12, but I'm back on track now. As expected the Northern Lights plant re-hydrated and all is well again. Still having pangs of guilt for not reworking the fan situation in the cab. I think the last of the cool temps is gone in my neck of the woods and things are just going to get hotter from now on.

OK, time for the pics!

Here are the girls flowering around in their sauna

4-8a.jpg

Northern Light top side. She's got some cute buds growing...

4-8b.jpg

Northern Lights side shot...

4-8d.jpg

Her lil buds... The pics don't quite do them justice.

4-8c.jpg

4-8h.jpg

Pure Afghan top side...

4-8e.jpg

Pure Afghan side shot...

4-8g.jpg

The Afghan doesn't really have buds yet. Their just beginning to form. This is a shot of the top growth which is in the midst of bud development.

4-8f.jpg

More pics next Thursday :peace:

Hey Ug, Yesterday my plants were in full tilt wilt! I fed them and within six hours they were just about at attention. Today they never looked better. Can you leave the door open or can you reverse the light and dark periods. Putting your lights on at night instead of the day. They should come back for you if it was just the water. You do need to get a handle on the heat. Get a better exhaust system to expel the heat.

Hey Woodsman, I recall that the harvest from your Mazar grow was lacking in potency. Do you think running high temps had anything to do with that? I have this fear that my high temps are going to fuck up my potency. Was the potency good on your other grows?

Have you thought about looking for strains that are heat resistant? I have to say Afghan has no problem with heat. Hopefully the heat makes her more potent!!!

Wow lookin' great Ug!! :bravo:

Looks like they're none the worse for wear after that blast of heat! Think reversing light dark period would be good if you've got your lights on in the day (ours are on 8 pm-8 am because of heat issues) but not sure whether that's safe to do without hermi issues ? Don't think the northern lights is as heat tolerant- african descent strains like your afghan will be better for that - we have mandala seeds strains- the satori and safari mix, which are both pretty inexpensive- we paid about $70 american for 10 satori seeds, and the safari mix were freebies, and they are handling high temps very well- they've gone up to about 100f without too much stress showing

looking forward to seeing these ladies grow! good job!

Wow lookin' great Ug!! :bravo:

Looks like they're none the worse for wear after that blast of heat! Think reversing light dark period would be good if you've got your lights on in the day (ours are on 8 pm-8 am because of heat issues) but not sure whether that's safe to do without hermi issues ? Don't think the northern lights is as heat tolerant- african descent strains like your afghan will be better for that - we have mandala seeds strains- the satori and safari mix, which are both pretty inexpensive- we paid about $70 american for 10 satori seeds, and the safari mix were freebies, and they are handling high temps very well- they've gone up to about 100f without too much stress showing

looking forward to seeing these ladies grow! good job!

Thanks Leenie! Yeah, my light period is good. Lights come on at 5 pm and go off 5 am. The NL plant is really getting "buddy" and the odor has kicked up a notch, but actually still at a stealthy level. :smokin:

I just took a peek at them and the freak'in Afghan is growing right into the lights. It's about 2 inches away! The big bud and bubblegum would have been toast coming that close. The Afghan seems to be completely impervious to the heat.

I think I'll water them tonight. That will probably be the first time they get water without getting bone dry first. I don't dry them out intentionally, it seems to catch up on me. I'm hoping if I just stay on top of the water the NL plant will deal a lot better with this situation.

I should have some serious bud action by next Thursday - especially if I keep on top of the water! :cheer:

Hey Woodsman, I recall that the harvest from your Mazar grow was lacking in potency. Do you think running high temps had anything to do with that? I have this fear that my high temps are going to fuck up my potency. Was the potency good on your other grows?

Have you thought about looking for strains that are heat resistant? I have to say Afghan has no problem with heat. Hopefully the heat makes her more potent!!!

Thanks Leenie! Yeah, my light period is good. Lights come on at 5 pm and go off 5 am. The NL plant is really getting "buddy" and the odor has kicked up a notch, but actually still at a stealthy level. :smokin:

I just took a peek at them and the freak'in Afghan is growing right into the lights. It's about 2 inches away! The big bud and bubblegum would have been toast coming that close. The Afghan seems to be completely impervious to the heat.

I think I'll water them tonight. That will probably be the first time they get water without getting bone dry first. I don't dry them out intentionally, it seems to catch up on me. I'm hoping if I just stay on top of the water the NL plant will deal a lot better with this situation.

I should have some serious bud action by next Thursday - especially if I keep on top of the water! :cheer:

Way to go Ug! Nice recovery and your girls look in the best of health! My Mazar grow was the opposite, It was cool temps with 70's day and very low 60's at night. Not sure if that contributed to the lack of potency?

You were mentioning the odor level. NL is not supposed to be very odoriferous, but of the three girls I've got, two of them smell pretty strong! Only one, the 'Runt' doesn't smell strong.

+++Reps to Ya Ug!

Back
Top Bottom