Soil, Cabinet, CFL, Supercrop, FIM 1st Grow

Was feeding my plants today and saw a couple of gnats. :thedoubletake: I killed one and saw another. I was surprised as I thought that only happened to Miracle grow soil people.

Well, it must be early because I only saw the 2 fuckers and nothing among the 3 other pots. Is there something I should do now in the early stage? Was thinking of taking a blow torch to the hydrotron balls. But seriously is there something that would be more effective now, rather than later?

Hmmm... now that I'm thinking about it. When I've had house plants infested with gnats, I put liquid soap in a small cup of water and placed it next to the plant. The gnats drown in the water because of the surfactant effect of the soap. I guess I'll do that right now.

Neem oil is what one of my buddies here uses.

Week 6 Update (week 4 for NL & PA)

I put the Bubblegum and Big Bud in the dark for 30 hours and today I turned the lights on to begin 12/12. NL & PA are on 18/6 for 2 more weeks.

I have photos of just before the dark period and right after I took them out. I heard there would be a stretch, so I was curious to compare them. You can't see a big difference in some shots, but still I thought you might want to see.

I've been feeding all the plants a combo of Mexican and Peruvian guano for a couple of weeks now. I've got a batch of just Peruvian brewing and will be ready for their next drink. I add some liquid seaweed and molasses just before feeding them. The Peruvian is used at the beginning of 12/12 and continued for 3 weeks.

Everything seems to be going well. Hopefully they won't take too long to sex. I haven't seen any gnats. :yahoo:

Group shot prior to dark period

3-11a.jpg

Group shot after 30 hours of dark

3-11b.jpg

Bubblegum prior to dark period

3-11c.jpg

Bubblegum after 30 hours of dark (circles on leaves is residue from a foliar feeding)

3-11d.jpg

Bubblegum side shot after 30 hours of dark

3-11e.jpg

Big Bud prior to dark period

3-11f.jpg

Big Bud after 30 hours of dark

3-11g.jpg

Big Bud side shot after 30 hours dark

3-11h.jpg

Northern Light at 4 weeks

3-11nl.jpg

Pure Afghani at 4 weeks

3-11pa.jpg

:peace:

I got into a complete panic that both the Bubblegum and Big Bud were males! I've read several sexing threads several times before, but I started googling my ass off trying to get this sex thing straight.

I've decided to hold off judgment until sex is completely obvious. A lot of the little round things I'm seeing look like they are going to open up and become something else. So I've just got to chill, until it's obvious to even an idiot like me. :grinjoint:

But in my search I came across this fascinating jpg with some pictures and text which suggests you can sex seeds! Now, I've actually heard this before some where. Does anyone know if this is some kind of marijuana urban myth or if it's legit?

I still have a bunch of seeds left over from my original purchase. Each type looks a bit different, but I can definitely see the markings suggested in the text. Btw, I was confused at first, but you're looking at the ends of the seeds. This would be an amazing little technique if it were true. Still, I'm having a hard time interpreting my seeds. My Big Bud seeds - which happen to be huge seeds - all look female to me.

Anyway, I'd love to hear comments on this. If anyone is buddies with a very experienced grower, can you ask them to come over and take a look at this? Would be great to hear their opinion.

seedsexid-11.jpg

I got into a complete panic that both the Bubblegum and Big Bud were males! I've read several sexing threads several times before, but I started googling my ass off trying to get this sex thing straight.

I've decided to hold off judgment until sex is completely obvious. A lot of the little round things I'm seeing look like they are going to open up and become something else. So I've just got to chill, until it's obvious to even an idiot like me. :grinjoint:

But in my search I came across this fascinating jpg with some pictures and text which suggests you can sex seeds! Now, I've actually heard this before some where. Does anyone know if this is some kind of marijuana urban myth or if it's legit?

I still have a bunch of seeds left over from my original purchase. Each type looks a bit different, but I can definitely see the markings suggested in the text. Btw, I was confused at first, but you're looking at the ends of the seeds. This would be an amazing little technique if it were true. Still, I'm having a hard time interpreting my seeds. My Big Bud seeds - which happen to be huge seeds - all look female to me.

Anyway, I'd love to hear comments on this. If anyone is buddies with a very experienced grower, can you ask them to come over and take a look at this? Would be great to hear their opinion.

seedsexid-11.jpg

++Reps to ya bro.. Your plants really perked up after the dark period! Wow what a difference. Mine do that the day after a feeding or a watering (or later in the day if I water early). Did they gain in height or did the leaves just become 'erect'?

I would research some more about the seeds before you go and throw away 9 of 10 seeds! Interesting if true, but only one seed in 10? I've never had it that bad before. more like 5/10 to 7/10 I'd say for an avg.

have a toke and check some more!

:passitleft:

That really sucks if your big b and your bb are males! Males look like little balls right in the corner and pretty soon they start growing out with a tiny stem attached to the plant. Females will look either like a tiny bump that's a little pointed will mostly grow upwards. males will grow out away from the plant. If it is round, chances are male. Also the little male ball will be 'segmented' almost like the seams in a football with the nose of the ball facing you. Hope your wrong and their girls!:goodluck:

those are great looking plants....and terrific info on the seeds....where did it come from? wonderful job....lavendar

Hey Lavendar, that's for stopping by and the kind words! The plants look better in photos than in person, but things seems to be going well so far. I only have a 200 W CFL on 2 plants and a 125 W CFL on the younger 2. I don't know if that will be enough in the end. My plan is to combine the lights and if any males are removed, then all the more lumens for the remaining girls ;)

I honestly don't remember where I found that seed sexing info. But I've already received an official warning about posting links to other MJ sites, so even if I remembered, I guess I wouldn't be allowed to tell ya ;)

Hey that's some grow you have going! Sounds like you went on a shopping spree at the MJ lighting store! :cool:

ill take a pic of my feminized seeds ive never ever had a male and well see if they have the volcano and maby ill find one that does not have a volcano and plant it and see what happens

Does anyone know how they get "feminized" seeds? Could it be that they are simply using this technique?

:smokin:the way they or you make fem seeds is by growing a female then letting it grow past its havest date and then the plant will hermi on it self making seeds with no male chromozones and since the mother is hermied past its harvest the seeds when grown will not hermi unless you go past harvest or fuck them up this is how the pros do it google it if you dont belive me

That really sucks if your big b and your bb are males! Males look like little balls right in the corner and pretty soon they start growing out with a tiny stem attached to the plant. Females will look either like a tiny bump that's a little pointed will mostly grow upwards. males will grow out away from the plant. If it is round, chances are male. Also the little male ball will be 'segmented' almost like the seams in a football with the nose of the ball facing you. Hope your wrong and their girls!:goodluck:

It's looking like the Big Bud is a boy. But I'm going wait until sex is very clear before jumping to any conclusions. Both plants had little round things next to the stipules, but on the Bubblegum they opened up into something else. On the Big bud, it looks more like now there are bunches of little round balls. Regardless, at this point I'm looking at pre-flower structures and I'm going to wait until I see mature sex parts.

It will be good to see how these things start and mature. Then I'll have a much better idea about the whole thing. Besides, I'm a noob and these no point in jumping to conclusions and no harm in waiting. :cool:

It's looking like the Big Bud is a boy. But I'm going wait until sex is very clear before jumping to any conclusions. Both plants had little round things next to the stipules, but on the Bubblegum they opened up into something else. On the Big bud, it looks more like now there are bunches of little round balls. Regardless, at this point I'm looking at pre-flower structures and I'm going to wait until I see mature sex parts.

It will be good to see how these things start and mature. Then I'll have a much better idea about the whole thing. Besides, I'm a noob and these no point in jumping to conclusions and no harm in waiting. :cool:

good idea bro, good luck on the bubblegum, I guess you mean it's a female?

Hey Lavendar, that's for stopping by and the kind words! The plants look better in photos than in person, but things seems to be going well so far. I only have a 200 W CFL on 2 plants and a 125 W CFL on the younger 2. I don't know if that will be enough in the end. My plan is to combine the lights and if any males are removed, then all the more lumens for the remaining girls ;)

I honestly don't remember where I found that seed sexing info. But I've already received an official warning about posting links to other MJ sites, so even if I remembered, I guess I wouldn't be allowed to tell ya ;)

Hey that's some grow you have going! Sounds like you went on a shopping spree at the MJ lighting store! :cool:

yeah,
some gals are into diamonds, i'm into lights....seriously.....ever tried to smoke a diamond, well, me neither, but i get alot more out of a good crop, and its something he and i both enjoy....yes, it seems that all my major pit stops are the grow and supply stores....interesting stuff in there....the only bad thing (maybe) i've noticed is everyone ooohs and aaahs over rings ect. and i cant just whip out a rock hard beautiful bud and go "well, look here." Too bad too, as i would just love to do that occasionally....hell, shock value if nothing else, but thats a no can do....oh well....lavendar :yummy:

good idea bro, good luck on the bubblegum, I guess you mean it's a female?

I think the Big Bud is a dude and the Bubblegum is a chick, but I can't tell for sure yet. They've only been 12/12 since Thursday.

yeah,
some gals are into diamonds, i'm into lights....seriously.....ever tried to smoke a diamond, well, me neither, but i get alot more out of a good crop, and its something he and i both enjoy....yes, it seems that all my major pit stops are the grow and supply stores....interesting stuff in there....the only bad thing (maybe) i've noticed is everyone ooohs and aaahs over rings ect. and i cant just whip out a rock hard beautiful bud and go "well, look here." Too bad too, as i would just love to do that occasionally....hell, shock value if nothing else, but thats a no can do....oh well....lavendar :yummy:

Great point! I've never understood the whole expensive jewelry thing either. What do you do with all the weed? :cheesygrinsmiley: I guess that's a question people don't generally ask around here, so don't sweat not answering. But can I ask roughly how much weed you produce and how much you smoke? I'd love to hear others comment. I'm really curious! I'm not a Narc! ;)

I essentially smoke nothing. But I'm planning on that changing in a couple of months. I'm pretty health conscious, so I'm a little concerned about over indulging once I have a good amount. While I won't be producing much, almost any amount will be a massive amount for me. :yummy:

ug,
we have a volcano, it helps alot with the health issues....he is a heavy smoker....weed only....and i am a moderate, still a few hit wonder after all these yrs...but i'm working on it...i make butter, and bake with it....make creams (skin, hand), mix it with olive oil to cook with, tinctures, and hash and hash oil....when you use it to cook with and make product with, it doesnt take much time to go thru it....look at what you start with and what you end up with and you're losing wt. all the way thru, but the result is a very concentrated hopefully pure product...i use the bud shake and good bud for most anything that goes in the body...the leaf is for creams ect....also use some leaf for hash and even that is good....the better grades are better tho....i am a hash nut...love it...and dont mind spending the time to do it right...he likes nugs and oil, and we both eat...so it works well....and the rest of it is mulched into the garden....along with reusing all the soil....this place is built on f.f....products....
I don't mind questions....but sometimes i do mind the answers i'm forced by society to give....enjoy, lavendar

ug,
we have a volcano, it helps alot with the health issues....he is a heavy smoker....weed only....and i am a moderate, still a few hit wonder after all these yrs...but i'm working on it...i make butter, and bake with it....make creams (skin, hand), mix it with olive oil to cook with, tinctures, and hash and hash oil....when you use it to cook with and make product with, it doesnt take much time to go thru it....look at what you start with and what you end up with and you're losing wt. all the way thru, but the result is a very concentrated hopefully pure product...i use the bud shake and good bud for most anything that goes in the body...the leaf is for creams ect....also use some leaf for hash and even that is good....the better grades are better tho....i am a hash nut...love it...and dont mind spending the time to do it right...he likes nugs and oil, and we both eat...so it works well....and the rest of it is mulched into the garden....along with reusing all the soil....this place is built on f.f....products....
I don't mind questions....but sometimes i do mind the answers i'm forced by society to give....enjoy, lavendar

Hey Lavender, thanks for your openness. So, what is a volcano? Is that some kind of huge bong ;) Maybe a vaporizer, they use up more weed right?

I'm kind of excited about making some hash. Can you get enough trimmings off 2-4 plants to yield any hash? For example, I'm 100% sure now that my Big Bud is a boy. I'm letting the plant grow a few more days before pulling, but it's about 11 inches tall and fairly bushy. Do you think I could get a pea sized ball of hash out of that entire plant?

Also, do you know if bubble ice bags are the only way to make hash? If not, what's the best way to do it?

Thanks! :peace:

Just some grow observations...

I'm not 100% about the following, but I'm at least half way sure ;)

Foliar feeding with molasses doesn't seem to have any effect on the plants. However, foliar feed with seaweed does make a difference. I noticed that after transplanting the plants are wilted the next day and a foliar feeding with seaweed (actually it has molasses in there too) makes a clear difference, where molasses by itself does not. Generally there's a subtle perking up with a seaweed feeding, but it's very clear after some kind of stress like transplanting or supercropping.

pH corrected feeding/watering I'm thinking actually makes a big difference. I fed the plants last week without correcting the pH and not only did I not see the usual perking up and growth, I saw brown tips on many of the Big Bud leaves. Yesterday, I pH fed and wow, the difference was so clear in all the plants.

Now, there's one variable that may be responsible besides the pH. The week I didn't correct the pH, I also didn't add seaweed and molasses to the guano tea.

The last observation is that I have the Milwaukee 600 pH meter. I hate to throw away $30+, but it's a fucking nightmare. Does anyone have a recommendation on a pH meter that once calibrated can go back and forth between different pH solutions without any difficulty. This Milwaukee peice of crap has to constantly be recalibrated. I can't stand it.

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

Back
Top Bottom