Started Again - New Grow

ok, so I see there has been a bit of chatter in my absence.. I like that.
Well im still in the veg phase and will post pictures after thius post.
I never heard that cfls make more nodes of give any special kind of lighting to the plant to use.
I use a 14 bulb homemade fixture, i have 6500k bulbs and 2700k bulbs in it right now for vegging. I picked myself up a new floralux 400w hps set up for the flower this time around. I also picked up a MH conversion bulb that ill test out for the next veggin cycle.

i built the light a while back. I got some strapping from the hardware store. I got the sockets off of a construction string light. They are rated for 600w each so they are heavy duty. I did a mock up with just the bulbs to see what was the best way to wire them. I decided on the way I did it. You can see in the pictures I hope. Its a pretty clean fixture. I made the metal top housing by buying a round metal duct, i think it was a 8 or 10 inch duct and cut it downt he middle and flattened it out and then made small bends in it to fit the wooden frame. I also bought computer fans and traced one of them on the metal and cut it out and hot glued the fan on top of the light fixture. If I didnt have this computer fan exhaust, this liught would get mighty hot. I had the fan off one time and the heat produced melted the hot glue that was holding the fan on. But when the fan is runnig you can hold the metal ducting with your hand for as long as you want. I patted myself on the back after I made this.

So I hope you can appreciate the owrk I put into the light and to be honest its working great. Look in my photos to see what it produces last grow. Start to finish with that cfl light. Now im starting again with this light but with flower with the new hps light.

here are some new pictures of the kids. Taken this monring.
IMAG13111.jpg

IMAG13102.jpg

IMAG13071.jpg

IMAG13051.jpg

IMAG13032.jpg

IMAG1304.jpg

thinking of switching the lights so I can weed out the males. I also want to clone a sexy female...hopefully there is one. But do you have any thoughts or ideas on when I should do this?

Clone plant in veg stage...easier

The only way I know how to tell the sex is by switching the lights. In my first grow I had four plants, 3 of which were dudes, killed all three and flowered the lady. But am i just wasting time taking cutting and not knowing there females or not ? Wasting time, electricity, nutes and patience it seems. When I take a cutting, am I sacrificing that particular plant im cutting from ? Are any of my planted big enough to even take a clone.from anyway ? Where exactly do I take the cutting from, seems like cuttings are always taken from large mother plants which i have none of...

At the moment im using Dynamics Gro grow nutes and super thrive. Will switch to.dynamics grow bloom and superthrive along with some carb nut when I flower. Any other nutes you recommend?

And i appreciate all the positivity here.

The only way I know how to tell the sex is by switching the lights. In my first grow I had four plants, 3 of which were dudes, killed all three and flowered the lady. But am i just wasting time taking cutting and not knowing there females or not ? Wasting time, electricity, nutes and patience it seems. When I take a cutting, am I sacrificing that particular plant im cutting from ? Are any of my planted big enough to even take a clone.from anyway ? Where exactly do I take the cutting from, seems like cuttings are always taken from large mother plants which i have none of...

At the moment im using Dynamics Gro grow nutes and super thrive. Will switch to.dynamics grow bloom and superthrive along with some carb nut when I flower. Any other nutes you recommend?

And i appreciate all the positivity here.

I totally agree..never check the time..elec..nutes...cloning while vegging against going thru the same thing in cloning while in flower...thats a good test...i'm going to clone one of mine while in flower..and one in veg...i top my plants...take what i took off and clone it...Nutes are good..how do you feel about molasses...lot of guys using it in flower

Still kind of unsure about where to take the cutting from, I feel my plants are not large enough to cut yet....or are they ?

I will have to pick up some carb nutes as ive read that flowering plants NEED them to produce quality buds and trichs.

Is topping the plant, just cutting the top off at the stem and re-planting that as a clone..?

Still kind of unsure about where to take the cutting from, I feel my plants are not large enough to cut yet....or are they ?

I will have to pick up some carb nutes as ive read that flowering plants NEED them to produce quality buds and trichs.

Is topping the plant, just cutting the top off at the stem and re-planting that as a clone..?

Topping is cutting below the fully formed node on main shoot or growing shoots...what you cut is what you clone...

Topping is cutting below the fully formed node on main shoot or growing shoots...what you cut is what you clone...

Will topping stunt groth at all? Im pretty much ready to switch the lights and get into flowering. Someone mentioned numbering each plant, then taking a clone from each plant and then wait til the plants show sex and then get rid of the male plants and male clones. I think ill try taking my first cutting tonight and see what happens. I read taking a cutting the submerging just the cut tip (45 degree angle) was the fastest way to see roots. I read on here that it takes three days to see roots..... I think its a little far fetched but I ddint write it. I dont get how the clone would root if it was submerged in water. Doesnt the clone need to be just a little moist so the clone is "searching"for water, therefore growing roots to provide more surface area fr nutrient uptake..

Please correct me if im mistaken. Were all learning here.

Will topping stunt groth at all? Im pretty much ready to switch the lights and get into flowering. Someone mentioned numbering each plant, then taking a clone from each plant and then wait til the plants show sex and then get rid of the male plants and male clones. I think ill try taking my first cutting tonight and see what happens. I read taking a cutting the submerging just the cut tip (45 degree angle) was the fastest way to see roots. I read on here that it takes three days to see roots..... I think its a little far fetched but I ddint write it. I dont get how the clone would root if it was submerged in water. Doesnt the clone need to be just a little moist so the clone is "searching"for water, therefore growing roots to provide more surface area fr nutrient uptake..

Please correct me if im mistaken. Were all learning here.

There are several ways to clone...i have been cloning in soil...plan to build a cloner next week...topping doesn't stunt growth...it adds a growing shoot...

OK, so as of 10/28/2011 this is my fleet of children im working with here. Putting into flower either tonight or sunday night.
I have 12 plants, 11 that are roughly the same size one that was severel neglected and kept by a window, needless to say im just keeping it to not be a murderer you know. You can see it in the pictures, its the tiny one in a cut in half water bottle.

Anyway, i took cuttings from 10 of the 11 regualr plants. Submerged them in bottled spring water, dipped in rooting hormone, tapped off, put into clonning cubes ( there black spongy things) and put into a germinator box with a dome on it. Sprayed the top and bottom ofthe tray for added hunmidity. Well see how this plays out. Its the first time, so im not expecting much to come out of the first clonning attempt.

Below are some pics taken this morning, sorry didnt get any of the tray with dome.

Upon going 12/12, I will be switching to the new Floralux 400w HPS all in one system. I have a 4" duct and inline fan yo use with the new fixture. It came with tempered glass on the fixture as well to help with heat so I can keep it as close as possible to the plants. Hoping for anything more than one female this go around. I say that because my grow was with 4 plants and only ONE was a biaaatch. LOL Enjoy.
IMAG1394.jpg

IMAG13951.jpg

IMAG1396.jpg

Note that the water in this bottle is from a one gallon pure spring water water jug, no nutes or anything besides the rooting hormone when dipped.

Update for everyone.

My clones look good, cant tell if they have rooted yet or not. I dont want to pull on them to check. Ill wait til I see them pushing through the medium.

Cleaned my space and set up the flower area. Set up light and plants under it.

To be perfectly honest, im surprised at how NOT bright the 400 w hps is. I feel my homemade cfl fixture(14 26w bulbs) is way brighter. But of course the new light offers a different "kind" of light.

Started 12/12 this morning at 630am. Off all day and on at night so I can tinker as needed. FUUUUunnn.

I will set up an area for a the clones tonight with my fluros and work on my ventilation system/door. The little 4" fan I have at the end of the flex duct work quite well and pulls the heat out of the light quite good. The light is not hot and I can rest my hand on it no problems. The ballast part is a little warm but oh well, thats a give in. The light itself is really quite heavy and didnt really notice it until I was ready to hang it. I used an acoustical drop ceiling achnor to hold the light.( they can hold 2250lbs each I believe) Right now I only have one light hanger (pull string system) holding the light but it works fine. I have another one If I need. They can hold 75 lbs each. I do have a fan blowing on the plants/bottom of light to keep a constant breeze on them and to reduce the heat directly on the platns. Even though I can put my hand right under the light to about 4" before I can really see it becoming a problem. Ill lower the light more to the plants tonight I think, so I can get depper into the canopy.

Nutes so far are:
"Vegging"
Dyna gro - grow
superthrive
cloning powder

"Flowering"
Dyna gro - bloom
Big Bud
Carbo load

I use bottled gallon jugs of water to mix my nutes with. No tap water.

Thoughts guys/gals ?

IMAG002411.jpg

IMAG00178.jpg

IMAG002012.jpg

IMAG001912.jpg

IMAG00187.jpg

IMAG002211.jpg

IMAG002313.jpg

Clones still look the same as of right now. I need the adolescent platns to show sex so I can pull the males and kill the baby male clone children. lol

ok-----How close can I put my hps? I have it maybe 8" now away from TOC (top of canopy). I feel I should move it closer to maximum light penetration. Like i said before, that 4" does a really nice job pulling the heat outta that light so the bottom part near the glass is only really hot if your 1" away. Thoughts on how close I can put it? More pictures to come tomorrow.

Clones still look the same as of right now. I need the adolescent platns to show sex so I can pull the males and kill the baby male clone children. lol

ok-----How close can I put my hps? I have it maybe 8" now away from TOC (top of canopy). I feel I should move it closer to maximum light penetration. Like i said before, that 4" does a really nice job pulling the heat outta that light so the bottom part near the glass is only really hot if your 1" away. Thoughts on how close I can put it? More pictures to come tomorrow.

put hand between light an plant...palm down...if light or heat doesn't burn back of hand...distance between light and plant ok...put plants on 12/12 to force flower...when sex is shown...remove males..put plant on 18/6 to revert back to veg stage...plants are looking great..me,i would just let them grow...

I dont think im going to put them through the stress of reverting back into veg growth. When I see the sex of them, ill pull the males and continue to flower the females. They are on 12/12 now and after I pull the males, ill leave it the way it is til they are finished and ready for harvest.

I dont think im going to put them through the stress of reverting back into veg growth. When I see the sex of them, ill pull the males and continue to flower the females. They are on 12/12 now and after I pull the males, ill leave it the way it is til they are finished and ready for harvest.

Thats the way i would do it...

To each their own.

So as I was finalizing my setup last night I took the clones and placed them under a fluro shop light with two 32w cool bulbs. I took the cover off to give the clones some fresh air and within 15 mins they had all plopped over like I gave them poison gas.... weird.

So i gave them a quick water spray, but the dome cover back on and placed it near the other plans where the light from the HPS hits the clones. After about 20 mins, i noticed them starting to stand back up.... Dont know why this happened. but I cant keep them where they are because my plants are on 12/12. I feel like ill have no luck with clonning this time around. I should have gotten fem seeds and then I good just grow the mother out big and take large Pre fem'd clones with less wasted time on waiting for them to sex.

Its been 4 days into flower and the plants have easily grown 3-4". I have no seen any sign of sexing yet. :/ Even though im no good at telling plant sex anyway, I still know that the femes have white pistils that show and have yet to see any of those. Read about hermies, not quite sure what those could look like. Sorry no pictures this time around, but there is a noticable difference in plants size (height and width).

Updates for everyone.
This is week two into flowering. Started 11/1/11

Plants look healthy, they seem to have stretched a little bit though. No signs of females yet but im pretty sure I can spot the males already. See pictures.
The clones are doing great. Almost all of them have sprouted roots that are nice and fuzzy. Ill let them grow a little bit more until I transplant them into soil under some floros.

See pictures below, comment please.
IMAG01028.jpg

IMAG00939.jpg

IMAG01016.jpg

IMAG010012.jpg

IMAG00999.jpg

IMAG00975.jpg

IMAG00967.jpg

IMAG00986.jpg

IMAG00956.jpg

IMAG00947.jpg

Back