Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

. My instinct is to remove the dead leaves

Never mind aesthetics, Koro, you do not want the wind taking those dead leaves through your neighbours’ windows. Get under there and clear out the rubbish mate. Didn’t you say as much a few pages back about wanting to be careful of wind blown waste?
Just looking out for you Stunger.

Update - Pictures, plants, buds & trichomes

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! The 3 girls continue to progress, all look quite different. The 2 sativas are a little behind the Mango Sherbert but both are sparkling with trichomes when viewed closeup, especially the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje, they look exquisite little jewels on her.

Mango Sherbert

Today is her 16th day of water restrictions, she is looking tatty because I don't wish to 'disturb' her by removing the dead leaves. I gave her a small 'survival drink' 2 days ago. Today there has not been much sun, but it has been windy (which is drying) she is starting to wilt a little again, but there are rain showers forecast for this evening and some possible rain tomorrow, so I won't water her until I see whether she get's a drink of rain or not. I could attempt to 'rain protect' the top of her container but it doesn't look like much rain will fall at this point, if it does it probably will amount to no more than a small 'survival drink', so all good.

I can't directly compare them to my other 2 plants because those are not as advanced in their budding as the Mango Sherbert.

I have mentioned already, that my initial newbie grown and accidentally droughted plant had a 'different' look to her when closeup, she was extremely sticky/tacky and her buds and sugar leaves while airy were unusually hard and stiff, stiff like they had received some 'coats of varnish'. It made me wonder whether trichomes could 'melt' and swell' repeatably to create a thick protective covering on the buds/sugar leaves as some sort of desperate attempt by the plant to keep her precious buds going in the adversity of drought conditions. I am not quoting any science there, just restating what came to my mind at the time and afterward when I reflected on her super sticky and gluey stiff hard potent uniqueness, it's all I could think of to explain it. Here are some closeup pictures of her current 'bud state'.

Bud and trichome closeups of the Mango Sherbert

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

This one is quite delicate in comparison, but at the same she especially sparkles with trichomes.

Thanks for dropping by, keep safe and well, and wishing your gardens good health too. :ganjamon:

Never mind aesthetics, Koro, you do not want the wind taking those dead leaves through your neighbours’ windows. Get under there and clear out the rubbish mate. Didn’t you say as much a few pages back about wanting to be careful of wind blown waste?
Just looking out for you Stunger.
Haha yeah good point there DD! I guess I am getting rather cavalier with them (and I shouldn't be) given that I have let their height breach the standards which I won't allow next time, as they make last years look well behaved in comparison. Yep indeed, I don't want to be alerting anyone.

Looking awesome there Stunger!
Lots of beautiful frost!
What kind of smells are you getting there?
Thanks tropics! The smells are dank and hint of potency. I try not to be a 'tall poppy' on the balcony to minimise the risk of being noticed so I find smells are rather combined.

Stunger, did your Mango Sherbet last year have trichomes comparable to this year's? If draughting produces like an enormous amount of trichomes more than non-draughting, it might be visible. In the end of course, visuals are not the important part. But it might be useful to just visually compare this and last year's MS trikes, as in a side-by-side. Getting very exciting now, my friend!

Stunger, did your Mango Sherbet last year have trichomes comparable to this year's? If draughting produces like an enormous amount of trichomes more than non-draughting, it might be visible. In the end of course, visuals are not the important part. But it might be useful to just visually compare this and last year's MS trikes, as in a side-by-side. Getting very exciting now, my friend!
Hey Emeraldo, My feeling is that a well nurtured and tended plant will look the prettiest, trichomes included. The stress of droughting tends to not make pretty plants. If you compare the trichome/bud shots of the Mango Sherbert I grew last year to this current one that I am droughting, side by side, last year's would look much better and more perfect. Here is a link to a post from last year's Mango Sherbert grow, to me it is clearly more pretty in all ways --->Pics of last year's Mango Sherbert's buds/trichomes.

But my aim of droughting is to increase potency, good looks are unfortunately collateral damage. I am not clear just where and how the hoped for extra potency is stored. We mostly tend to focus on the trichomes, but I don't know if it is all about the trichomes only, some plants produce an incredibly thick layer of frosty trichomes but I haven't had the pleasure of growing those but the opinion of others who had seemed to suggest that the potency wasn't just confined to the quantity of trichomes but I am not saying any of this with any authority. I wonder how much cannabinoid content is there in the buds, does that change content with droughting? Plus too, from my accidental droughting, I had the feeling that perhaps some trichomes 'melted down' to coat the bud/leaf because to my observation, there was a sort of 'varnished' appearance, but I must say I don't think that happened, otherwise it would have been noticed by many others, so it was surely just my imagination to explain the stiff hard seemingly coated surface of the buds/sugar leaves.

Yes it is exciting to be carried along towards harvest. There are still a lot of clear trichomes, last year's MS I harvested on the 16th April, but I am thinking perhaps an extra week or even more for this one. A lot depends on the support of the weather, if there is a run ahead of, say, 2 weeks of straight rain, then I would strongly consider to harvest rather than risk bud rot developing if too much rain and humidity. It's a tricky one. But for now, the weather ahead is mostly sunny and dry, so we'll see. Cheers.

It's hard to tell, I agree. What goes on inside the droughted plant is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. Looking forward to your smoke report!
Well, I feel I am giving it a good go with the Mango Sherbert. This evening she was again wilting quite badly as she last had a small drink 4 days ago and the forecast rain didn't come. I will give her a small 'survival drink' tomorrow morning to keep her going and continue the droughting conditions for her. I'm hoping this makes a positive impact that can be reflected in the smoke report!
Outstanding gardening. The Malawi/Ethiopian Mulanje looks special.
I have to say there's been some less outstanding gardening examples here, but hopefully I can learn and improve for the next time.

I'd often admired people's lightly budded plants that had a wonderful frost intensity that suggested that the quantity was low but the quality was high, and the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje is looking like it could be progressing towards a similar look. Today, I had to put 3 stakes into the perimeter of her pot as her bent LST'ed arms were starting to sag badly as even though her buds are sparse they still felt heavy, so I've supported them with the stakes before the weight got too much.
Congratulations on the JOTM win.
Cheers stinker, it was a total surprise to be nominated, I was confused as I had only just 'topped up' as it were, and I had briefly wondered why my name was there, haha.

Update - 17th day of Mango Sherbert's droughting - pics.

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Just a brief one today.

Mango Sherbert

Here is a pic from about 5:30 this evening of the Mango Sherbert, no water for a few days but I'll give her a rescue drink tomorrow morning. At this point I want to keep her drought stressed but not so much that she succumbs to pests or infection.

Today I added 3 stakes in the Malawi/Ethiopian's pot to help support it, altho the buds are sparse they feel quite heavy and were starting to sag quite badly, it made me concerned about leaving it.

Here's the view from the side window.

That's all today, keep well and smoke well ((vape or consume is great too)! :ganjamon:

Update - Mango Sherbert 18th day droughting - mostly pictures.

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! It is about 4 days since I last gave a rescue drink to the Mango Sherbert, by this morning she was wilting badly and I gave her about 2L (half gallon) of water. By the afternoon she had perked up in her beaten up way.

The weather forecast seems mostly sunny, fine, and dry for the days ahead, so it is looking good for a continuation of her droughting treatment. Her colas were showing their drooping leaves this morning, they don't look too bad because the plant is trying to keep her precious buds going but her lower leaves were hanging vertical.

Be well everyone, and thanks for dropping in! :ganjamon:

Quite an interesting grow technique you doing stunger. Their looking great on the balcony! Just love your balcony grows brother! Stay safe.

Still looking parched and sparkly ✨. That Honduras has some chunkiness to her. Nicely done
Cheers Zeb, that great, parched is the aim here, and yes the Honduras has some bats on her!
Quite an interesting grow technique you doing stunger. Their looking great on the balcony! Just love your balcony grows brother! Stay safe.
Thanks Skottel! There's a few of us who are running droughting on our plants. But I'll have to wait for the smoke test to judge it. All the best.

Hey Stunger. :ciao:

Would 'ya think about us and stop hogging all the frost! :)

Update - leaning in to get some trichome closeups

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! It's getting to that time to start looking a bit more closely at what the trichomes are doing.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje (mostly clear turning cloudy)

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras (mostly clear turning cloudy)

Mango Sherbert (cloudy with some clear, and some amber)

This girl is now in her 19th day of 'droughting'. I am repeating cycles, of letting her wilt and giving her a small 'rescue' drink. Yesterday, I 'rescued' her with about 2L (half gallon) water. Today she is quite perked up as much as her tattered leaves can be. As far as beauty classifications go, she is in the gnarly category. Here are some close ups..

Thanks for dropping by, keep safe, and hope your gardens are blooming! :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom