SugarX's 1st Grow - 3 x White Widow Auto - 1 x AK47 - 600W LED - Soil

So a photo will show pre flowers even during veg?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Yep. Once they've grown large enough. Mine usually show sometime after 1 to 1-1/2 months of veg. If you're not working with feminized seeds, that's how you tell if it's a male or female plant. Some people speed the process of gender identification along by taking clones from a plant and then putting those clones under 12/12 to force flowering, but patience in veg will also reveal gender. Even a fem photo will preflower.

Just a quick update, I had to replace my exhaust fan after I was hearing awful noises coming from it..word of advice for new growers, steer clear of Ventech brand. Some pretty bad reviews out there and I didn't heed the warning so do yourself a favor and save $100.

I have since replaced it with a similar spec'd Hurricane brand 4" fan and it is much quieter and hopefully last longer than 30 days ..

Other than that the garden is doing good, all sign of pesticide burns have diminished as well as Gnats.. so everyone's happy here .

A few pics for your viewing pleasure!

420-magazine-mobile79510322.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1403209247.jpg

Sorry to hear about the fan. When I started this grow I had hoped to reuse my old fan but that was a no go. Then I bought a new fan that sounded like a jet engine. My husband and I turned that one for a few seconds, both of us looked at each other in shock, boxed that baby back up and sent it right back. LOL. The Hurricane was on my maybe list but I opted for the Can Fan Pro instead because it had adjustable speeds and used less watts of power. Mine is a 6" though - which is bigger than I need for one closet but, now that I'll be running two through it, it all works out.

Your plants are looking great! All bushy and happy and green. :thumb:

Following SweetSue to our friend Fuzz, who led me here. Hope you don't mind the link/thank/rep slaps. :)

2. You can maintain 75' temps in a 100' attic.

I watched a video once, linked somewhere here but sadly lost to my searches, that suggested under LEDs you want to shoot for closer to 85 as they don't generate the heat at the leaf surface that HPS/MH does. We took that recommendation and shoot for no higher than 85 with what I think are pretty great results.

As always with weed, YMMV.

I've decided that since I'm on a VERY strict finishing date for all 4 ladies I'm going to skip topping them this time around and save that for my next grow.

I top every auto we grow and finish them off within a week of the breeder's schedule routinely, and have averaged 5.8 ounces per plant over the last 15 autos across three different breeders. In other words, I'm not convinced topping adds more than a day or two. The growth isn't lost, it's just redirected to the other three or four new branches so that they can end up level with the remaining two tops once they get big enough to start taking off again.

In autos it's not about increasing the number of tops as much as it is getting as many leaves as you can at the same level and in the sweetest spot of distance to our artificial lights as soon and for as long as possible.

Besides, three weeks after you've topped her she's putting out several orders of magnitude more vegetative growth every day as we are removing.

For an example of an auto that was delayed, check out our first Crop King Seeds Early Miss, affectionately named Britney.

Not a recommended training technique. :)

A few questions, first it's been about 5 days since the last watering and the girls show no signs of stress..what is the longest anyone has gone between watering? The soil down deep is still moist to the touch so I'm trying to avoid a beginners mistake so any input on the issue would be much appreciated.

It really depends on the pot (size, plastic/fabric/airpot/etc) and the environment, but it's not unusual to read about people going 10 days or more. With our setup and environment, my opinion is that if I have to wait more than a week, I probably gave too small a plant in too big a container too much for her to use in an appropriate amount of time. With autos I'm a firm believer in not doing any transplanting, so I had to learn how much water (and how, down the stem, around the outside couple of inches of the pot, from the bottom) to give a plant as it grows so that we water at least once a week.

For more and far better advice, everyone should read our resident watering Queen Emilia's thread, linked in my signature.

So I topped my Autos tonight! I decided that I'll just have to keep things stealthy and not worry about a finishing date based on future visitors. I'm hoping Beast will chime in on this post as this is my first time topping based on his advice on node and date. I decided to leave the AK47 alone as she's already behind schedule and just needs to do her thing under the 18/6 schedule for now.

There's nothing worse than watching someone take their first harvest a week or three too early. It's hard to see past the plump fully hydrated nugs to what will remain after drying and impatience can take over. Glad to hear you've changed your mind. Finish them too early and disappointment is the usual result.

Glad to hear you hooked up with theBeast, he's helped teach so many of us the joys of a topped and trained auto.

Thanks for the awesome response and reps Arteekay! I have taken your advice and bumped up the temps 5' to see how they respond over the next few days, if RH and plant health maintain or improve I will bump it up a few more. This is why I love this forum, great advice and great people!

Now I'm off to catch up on your journals to see if I can steal anymore nuggets of knowledge from you :thanks:

Quick update, girls are all doing well! Lady AK is at 41 days and slowly stretching in all of her vegetive glory & the 3 white widow autos are growing and filling out as well. There are lots of white hairs all over them but at what point do they actually start growing buds?

420-magazine-mobile466191644.jpg
Lady AK Day 41

420-magazine-mobile48877432.jpg
WW Auto Day 31

420-magazine-mobile1784183303.jpg
Tents filling up quick..

I have plans to remove the AC in the next week if the temps continue to head south, this will also give me room to cut some clones and put them in their dome for the next grow!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! .

Looks really good so far. I had slugs hiding in the drain holes of a pot in the last grow, took a transplant to find em. Came in with the soil.

Fan loudness, may look into a speed controller. Sometimes fans flow more than needed for your setup, and slowing them down will quiet them a lot. Just a suggestion

Quick update, girls are all doing well! Lady AK is at 41 days and slowly stretching in all of her vegetive glory & the 3 white widow autos are growing and filling out as well. There are lots of white hairs all over them but at what point do they actually start growing buds?

420-magazine-mobile466191644.jpg
Lady AK Day 41

420-magazine-mobile48877432.jpg
WW Auto Day 31

420-magazine-mobile1784183303.jpg
Tents filling up quick..

I have plans to remove the AC in the next week if the temps continue to head south, this will also give me room to cut some clones and put them in their dome for the next grow!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! .

That tent is about to be super packed! I'm growing in a 2x4x5 also, and my 2 plants (Day 80 from seed) look like this...and this was last week...lol

420-magazine-mobile1890956364.jpg

Subbed in to watch you work!

YT

That tent is about to be super packed! I'm growing in a 2x4x5 also, and my 2 plants (Day 80 from seed) look like this...and this was last week...lol

420-magazine-mobile1890956364.jpg

Subbed in to watch you work!

YT

Ohh dang... I guess I may want to reconsider getting a second tent since the lady AK is going to keep vegging until these autos are done.

Thanks for joining me, do you mind me asking how far you keep your light from the tops of your ladies?

Sugar ur smashing it mate.that is a bulging tent of beautiful healthy strong girls.u dont get any better than that my friend.keep up the great work .never mind making me proud.u should very proud of urself mate.give urself a pat on the back mate.well deserved:passitleft::high-five::bravo:

Looking good Sugar!

"Quick update, girls are all doing well! Lady AK is at 41 days and slowly stretching in all of her vegetive glory & the 3 white widow autos are growing and filling out as well. There are lots of white hairs all over them but at what point do they actually start growing buds? "

That is the same question I had after I flipped my lights to 12/12. I could see the white hairs (pistils) emerging from the teardrop shaped green calyxes, but these structures did not resemble what we think of as a bud. I did a bit of research into what a bud actually is, and basically it is comprised of swollen calyxes, sugar leaves, and pistils all emerging from a growth tip.

So, if you are seeing pistils now, then soon the calyxes will start to grow and you will see more and more pistils sticking out until the bud sites look like little white fluff balls (this will happen over the next 3 weeks or so). This is about where my plants are at right now. They still don't fully look like "buds" yet but from what I am seeing in others grow journals it looks like weeks 5-6 of flower is when they really start to fatten up and fill in the internode space to form colas. Can't wait to see how your babies fill out! :goodluck: :circle-of-love:

Ohh dang... I guess I may want to reconsider getting a second tent since the lady AK is going to keep vegging until these autos are done.

Thanks for joining me, do you mind me asking how far you keep your light from the tops of your ladies?

When I first moved them into the tent, I had them 18 inches or so from the plants, but as they grew I moved the lights up as far as I could and the plants just kept growing towards them..

YT

When I first moved them into the tent, I had them 18 inches or so from the plants, but as they grew I moved the lights up as far as I could and the plants just kept growing towards them..

YT

Ok, I just moved my lights up a few more inches to the top of the tent...by the looks of yours, I'm gonna need it.

Your ladies are looking great by the way! ..

Back
Top Bottom