The Mountain: Grow Support From The Over 50 Club

you are absolutely rite doing nothing sometimes is better I have done this with great success. I am glad to hear that you are using the rotating crop method I did not put into consideration the agro testing involved these years in my first post but not everyone is doing this or lucky enough to have large plots of land, and I am sure you have never had you plants shown signs of lack in any of the elements because they are in the ground you use outside but what about hydroponics in witch is where I started with this post also as for the

quote " alot of the trace elements that you mention are used in such infintesimal amounts as to be almost neglegible in actual results.
Do micro nutrients make a difference?"

the problem I have with this is if the amount of elements was a factor then I guess we can just get rid of vanadium beings tho it is the least used element in the world ( in Amount not use), rite.? But wait without vanadium we would not have fuel for cars of anykind we would not have steel or algae some scientist believe even mammals would not have been formed without this so called useless element in its "Infintesimal amount" the world we know would not exist nor would you, so how could it possibly be any different in plants just because it is so small and so little it is hardly worth mentioning does not mean it is not one of the most important or at the least much needed

If I am wrong please correct me tis why I am here

I'm talking about growing plants not making fuel. I have never seen a plant with a documented Vanadium deficiency. My point is there are three basic elements that plants need for growth. Do they utilize micro nutrients yes. But inmost peoples grows micronutrient availabity is not the limiting factor. They make other more serious errors that imoact their results. In the whole sceme of things Micro nutrients aren't a factor. In hydroponics the biggest concern is water temp, ph level, disolved oxygen levels and again nutrient availabilty .

uth,
Trying to follow along, but over this dumb retired F.F.`s head. All i know is that i can grow this damn weed without killing it. Pretty good shit, if i do say so myself. K.I.S.S. works for me.

uth,
Trying to follow along, but over this dumb retired F.F.`s head. All i know is that i can grow this damn weed without killing it. Pretty good shit, if i do say so myself. K.I.S.S. works for me.

:bravo:

Hey Yoop! That's pretty much my point! You can grow pretty good weed without adding anything to commercial potting mixes.Everyone should do at least one plant it and leave it be grow.

My only qualification for this discussion is I'm 60.

Just started my first grow and have 2 seedlings (freebies from Nirvana) in 1lt airpots and FFOF. They are in a closet with zip lock baggie domes under a single 26watt CFL. I want to feed them but I know the soil has got everything they need for awhile. Should I wait until the roots are showing through the airpots before I transplant to 5 gallon airpots and move them outdoors? To get them to that point, do I need to improve the light they are getting? This first grow is on a tight budget, just to prove to my wife that I can grow good meds. I have to provide meds for my entire family in a non-MMJ state.

Thanks for any help.

My only qualification for this discussion is I'm 60.

Just started my first grow and have 2 seedlings (freebies from Nirvana) in 1lt airpots and FFOF. They are in a closet with zip lock baggie domes under a single 26watt CFL. I want to feed them but I know the soil has got everything they need for awhile. Should I wait until the roots are showing through the airpots before I transplant to 5 gallon airpots and move them outdoors? To get them to that point, do I need to improve the light they are getting? This first grow is on a tight budget, just to prove to my wife that I can grow good meds. I have to provide meds for my entire family in a non-MMJ state.

Thanks for any help.

Hey MaggiesFarm! You are correct. You don't need to feed them for a while. Did you mix anything with the OF? I use Promix and about 30 % by volume of OF , HF or even sometimes just very fine dried and sifted manure. All of them produce about the same. I like to prune the first time at the third node. About a week later the plant will be in a very active growth stage. If you think about it you have stimulated growth by pruning. The plant responds for a variety of reasons with a period of rapid cell division. I ;like to transplant my first time during that week or the one after. You will see an marked increase in growth and plant size within 24- 48 hours after transplanting if you time it right. Instead of the plant being, "Shocked" by the transplanting it will jump in size and vigor. After transplanting I usually water with just Superthrive for a week. After that you can begin your fertilization program. And yes. I prune before almost every transplanting on container grows. Best of luck!

Thanks UTH. Nothing is mixed in with the OF, but I am going to mix in a little vermiculite and some root stimulator for the next seed that just popped open today. Also, just did a light upgrade to an Intelligent-Gro 180 watt LED. It will be enough to get my 2 seedlings going. I'm hoping to start converting a free standing closet into a decent sized grow cabinet this weekend.

Just a quick update on my "Fun With Autos" grow. I have been transplanting my four autos all along during their growth. They are all now in 3 gal containers. Average height is about 32 inches. The average plant has eleven tops producing colas and the buds are about the size of a pingpong ball.These seeds were germinated on March 28th. Last night I did a transplant of a plant about half way through it's flowering cycle into a 5 gallon container. I did this as a final experiment to look for any negative impacts on the autos from transplanting. So far it has all been positive. Pruning has also been beneficial. The watering for the first few weeks with coconut milk looks promising but I will try it again before I decide. All of my regular plants are now in 30 gal containers, except my four on rockwool. All good in the holler!

Should I wait until the roots are showing through the airpots before I transplant to 5 gallon airpots and move them outdoors? To get them to that point, do I need to improve the light they are getting?

Thanks for any help.

Hey @MaggiesFarm I just wanted to put a lil input on the "airpots" as I have used them quite a bit (and love them) The first thing I would like to say is good choice :bravo: and sare with you a few things, first you will not ever see the roots grow out of the pot like you do in root pots (unless your hydro anyway) not on the sides anyway you have to pick it up and look at the bottom (I assume you are using the ones with colored perforated bottoms) this is where the roots will show. In my grow I have also come to find that you can grow a lot longer without hurting them as the roots just grow new from the stock every time they prune they will just push the soil out of the pot and make more room until it is mostly just root mass (now don't take this to far as it will affect the size you need to jump to or the plant will stunt after transplant) that is all the imput I had im sure you have heard everything else online or seen yourself BEST OF LUCK:thumb:

Thanks for the tips, Kilo. I didn't know about the roots not showing out of the sides. These little seedlings have a ways to go before I have to start worrying about that though. Overnight air temps warmed up a bit so I left them outside last night. The new seed sprout is in another 1lt airpot inside under the CFL. I'll have them all back in under the new LED this weekend.

I have found a great way to water my clones. I have a bunch of clones in solo cups waiting for my 2 friends that I start for every year.
It's a Sippy cup . The ones for babies to drink from. It lets you dribble just the right amount of water to each clone . Works like a charm.
Just a few drops in each cup every day. Try it you will love it.:morenutes:

WE MISS THE 50 CLUB 2

Sounds like there a lot of great people and knowledge here! I am in for sure!

Question, what is the average expected amount from an auto?

:circle-of-love::passitleft:Have some Kushberry! I know, I usually like a Sativa for breakfast, but pickings are slim today!

Just a quick update on my "Fun With Autos" grow. I have been transplanting my four autos all along during their growth. They are all now in 3 gal containers. Average height is about 32 inches. The average plant has eleven tops producing colas and the buds are about the size of a pingpong ball.These seeds were germinated on March 28th. Last night I did a transplant of a plant about half way through it's flowering cycle into a 5 gallon container. I did this as a final experiment to look for any negative impacts on the autos from transplanting. So far it has all been positive. Pruning has also been beneficial. The watering for the first few weeks with coconut milk looks promising but I will try it again before I decide. All of my regular plants are now in 30 gal containers, except my four on rockwool. All good in the holler!

UTH my friend, I appreciate your tests of the transplanting. It helps us all. I hope that your weekend will be good. :thumb:

:circle-of-love::passitleft:Have some Kushberry! I know, I usually like a Sativa for breakfast, but pickings are slim today!

Pinky my friend, an average from an auto is extremely hard to say. It really depends on the strain. On the small side you get a couple of grams. On the big side a pound. So I guess that it would be safe to say that you should expect anywhere from a couple of grams to a pound. :rofl:

UTH my friend, I appreciate your tests of the transplanting. It helps us all. I hope that your weekend will be good. :thumb:

Hey Pinky and Kid! I have been learning alot from messing around with my first auto grow. I now am pretty convinced that you can transplant them as easily as standard photoperiodic plants if you time it right and prune as you transplant. Pinky I did alot of looking into harvest totals on autos. Like the Kid says it's kind of all over the map. Some are very small statured plants that barely exceep 12 inches in height. Others get to 3 feet and better. I will say that over all pruning does help harvest totals. I am shooting for a 90 gram dried per plant. I think that i am going to hit or exceed that with 3 of the 4 plants. The largest yielder appears to be the sativa dominant variety Critical Mass Auto. They are a little over 6 weeks now. I'm getting ready to do round 2 and I have a few more hoops to jump them through. I really like this being able to put them in the grow room while I veg my main crop. They really do use up that excess light and then as my regular plants grow I harvest the autos. It's great. Best of luck!

The Mountain,
All appears to be under control. In fact, it seems abandoned. Everyone seems to have left for the holiday.

Nah not abandoned as I am here. :ganjamon: Just kidding!!

Good morning all. Time to wake n bake. And with that I am out the door to the back porch.

Maui

Back
Top Bottom