The Mountain: Grow Support From The Over 50 Club

Must've unsubbed somehow! I'm back though. :)
You ready to come help trim?
IMG_156114.JPG

Hope you are all doing well!!!!!

Trig

(A beautifully written post by conradino23 on another thread reminded me that I hadn't been to The Mountain lately! Boy, he was teachin em too!)

How`s the mountain this morning ? Hope the sun shines on your side of the mountain today. Anyway, good morning all.

Hello Folks here on the place I enjoy so much my beloved mountain here at 420. I would ask the moderators to bear with me here as I realize that perhaps this is not strictly a dope growing post but it is dope growing related and pretty common now days in our society. After 30 years here on the ridge top farming my little 34 acres of produce on our 54 acre piece of Appalachian heaven we have accepted an offer from a couple who wants to buy our place. If you all remember back in June and July I had a little experience with trespassers, including 4 guys they caught digging Sang on me that lived 150 miles away from here! While the fuzz was looking for them they came within feet of a couple of my raspberry scrog plants which luckily they did not spot. But any how........in late Sept I had my first Mowdown Hoedown of the season. 43 different varieties from about 20 odd growers ( some of them really Odd!?) 2 days of smoking and eating and visiting It was great. We had a big deer roast, late melons sweet corn. peach cobbler... you get the idea. Well anyhow this friend of a friend kind of guest start asking about if we would sell. This has gone back and forth for about a week and we just accepted a cash offer.

We will be going deeper into the DBNF and building a brand new custom log cabin. First we will be building a pole barn with living quarters and a new custom layout grow room. You know you gotta be able to survive until we are able to get the house up. I wish I could do a video of the whole project as I expect there may be some interest out here on how an Old Ridge Runner sets a farm up. But we will have to see.

The folks on this site and on this forum especially have been exceptionally kind to me over the last few years. I shall definitely return but I wanted to let you all know what has become of me in case you notice that I have become scarce. We are buying our new ground on a substantial water course so we are looking forward to some canoeing and smalley fishing. Again all my best and of course Best of luck in all you grow.

Best of luck with everything, Uptheholler. Really looking forward to hearing what you get up to next. I'm sure it will be first class, like this thread. Sounds like it was partly the trespassers that have you moving further into the forest?

Hey Conradino! Yeah that's at least part of it. I am not looking forward to moving a 30 year accumulation of farming equipment. The new owners do want the greenhouses though so I will be bending and erecting new ones. I am hoping that since the DBNF is remote enough for Elk, Bears and Bigfoots that people will leave me alone. I just want to grow my produce and make my own smoke. I am going to be able to set up a truly correct barn grow. So I am pumped about that. I am going to DWC buckets with a ductless heating and cooling system with humidity control. We are going to see if l am still good enough to build a little 1200 square foot cabin. But the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise I'm gonna give it my best shot.

I have to admit though that I am kind of amazed at our friends. They think we are crazy to leave what we have and go carve out a place some where. What a bunch of negative Nancy's! What has happened to self confidence and the pioneering spirit in this country? My God.... have faith in yourself.... screw everybody else's fears and forge ahead. I will stay in touch and drop in as I am able. Best of luck in all you grow!

22 years ago my friends and family were horrified and amused that I was leaving a successful Army career to start a fishing guide business in Montana. When I decided to build a fishing lodge 12 years ago to compliment my guide business, they laughed and said it I couldn't do it and I would fail. I continue to reap the rewards of what couldn't be done.

There is no doubt that if you want something bad enough you can have it!

What has happened to self confidence and the pioneering spirit in this country?

Sounds like it's alive and well in your heart, Holler. You give me hope for the future of our country. We need more Old Ridge Runners like you. Best wishes for your new endeavor, and let us know how it goes.

Hey Thank you all so much for your warm wishes! Llama over 30 years ago I looked at Bride of Holler and told her that I was unhappy as any man could be doing what I was doing. I mean I took the long way into work every morning. We had the farm...one 3 year old and one on the way. I was yanking down over 90 a year plus bonus. I knew I had found the right girl when she told me quit and make the farm pay!
Within 4 years I was grossing over 420000 annually only working about 9 months a year. The rest was history. But even friends.....who know all of that still think that we have bitten off more than we can swallow. I love that kind of shit!!! Motivates me even more. Makes my blood pump! Richard take care my friend and thanks for all of your help. I hope to be back by late spring. Best of luck in all you grow!

That's cause we're just a bunch of free range chickens!

Best of luck with your new life adventure my friend!!

When I was a young child, my grandmother used to tell my parents, "grass will never grow under his feet", referring to me. Because Cajun French was quite commonly spoken back then where I'm from, the phrase was spoken in Cajun French and she would say this so often that it must have been a sign of things to come for me.
I've never been one to have any fear of venturing outside of that comfort zone box that I hear some folks speak of. Hell, I don't even know what a comfort zone box is.
It seems that since graduating high school, about every 5 to 10 years I've made some type of drastic life change that causes friends and family to freak out. It seems that they just don't understand the mindset of folks like us that are not fearful of venturing off into new pastures.

Anyways, apologies for the childhood flashback I had there and all the best with the move. Hope to see you back here at The Mountain as soon as you get all settled in.
:peace:

Holler,
An amazing adventure awaits you bro. I know that you are going to excel at this mammoth endeavor. All the building karma is headed to you. Peace and great growin` and great buildin`.

I have been down for about a week now, and away from civilzation ... in a way.

I had a total replacement of my right hip. It was an aready brutal procudeure complicated by, in part, my mispent youth. I am finally on the mend. It has been painful for everyone.

I just logged on to find out that up has begun a new adventure. In a way, and purely for selfish reasons I wish it wasn't true. I will miss your posts during the time you will need to make the move, and get settled in. But, I am happy for your happiness. I look forward to hearing about the challanges you will face, and how you overcame them.

God speed and a safe journey to you my friend.
Write back soon.

~ Auggie ~

I read the title wrong and for the longest time I thought this thread was support for the over 50 club, which I'm not yet, so always felt a little sneaky wandering around in this fine place with my fake ID.
I hope the thread continues and stays open.

Hey Folks! Thanks again to all of you for your encouragement and best wishes. We are set up with appointments and we have about 6 tracts that we are going to look at in the DBNF. Most of the land in this area is government ground. This can be good or bad depending upon how it lays. I like my ground to have limited access but I have to have tillable land and enough exposure for greenhouses. I will be popping in as I can to give you an update and I may be writing an article for a homesteading publication as we go along. But I would love to get input from you folks on the following question.

If you could build and design a grow room approximately 16 x 20 or so. What would you include? How would you lay it out. I have my own game plan in mind which I will share later But I don't want to muddy the water by starting with my plan I want your ideal setup game plans! One thing I will let you in on......I will have drains in the floors for sure I have been doing this along time and I always wanted that ! Ha! What a thing to want huh? Anyhow thanks again for your all of your good karma and I look forward to your ideas!
Best of luck in all you grow!

Back
Top Bottom